webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Nokia has cloned the Touchstone
Nokia has cloned the Touchstone
Like Tree17Likes

Old 09/07/2012, 12:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
My local Frys had the lumia 9 dummy phone ... so it's not like holding the real thing, ATT had a dummy last time I asked too.

Guy at Frys tried to hard sell me saying the price was going up once the firmware update hit.... I told him the firmware update had landed like 2 days prior, the other sales guy was like yeah it's already out, then bad sales guy was like oh yeah I know, but they are just keeping the price at 99 for the weekend. Then I went off on him as my wife was dragging me away.
lol! Those phone salesmen will make up anything they can to get you to buy. You'd be a fool to buy any WP device right now anyway since none of them are getting upgraded to WP8.
Old 09/07/2012, 12:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Yeah, this was right after launch.... I started asking the dude if he knew who John Kneeland was, he said yeah, so I said really you know John Kneeland, who is he... that's when the wife started saying it was time to go.... LOL

She knows how I am with sales people, I hate being lied to or talked down to like I don't know what I am talking about. My buddy still tells the story of me like 6 years ago going off on a Ford rep at the auto show when he was trying to talk down to me cuz I was trashing the design of the new GT "40" (my buddy is a classic ford guy, and I had just watched an hour long special on the old and new GT).
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2012, 02:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Nokia didn't clone the touchstone -- energizer made it a standard. nokia just used it

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2012, 03:39 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Even if they had brought wireless charging to their stylish Nokia phones, it wouldn't make me buy them just to Microsoft crappy OS of windows mobile
That's the key thing for me. It's nice but, that alone won't make me like an OS or phone that i don't particularly like. It's nice just not enough.
Old 09/07/2012, 09:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

First impression: That thing is UG-LY. It looks flimsy and not solid at all.
Not that the TS design was perfect, i think the Nokia one is terrible compared to it.

EDIT: ehhhh, doesnt seem so bad on second-look, but still looks a comical
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive

Last edited by xandros9; 09/08/2012 at 08:20 PM.
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2012, 07:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
While I'm really glad to see Nokia push this technology forward with their phones....Even if they had brought wireless charging to their stylish Nokia phones, it wouldn't make me buy them just to Microsoft crappy OS of windows mobile. Like the tiles effect that it updates information without having to open any application, but the black-ground and color rainbow screen don't like them.
I have windows 8 on laptop and cant quite get used to it. Looks like something for kids
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 02:48 AM   #27 (permalink)

Just noticed that Nokia is naming the wireless charger "Touchdown"... not similar at all ... but it does look nice.
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 12:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
Just noticed that Nokia is naming the wireless charger "Touchdown"... not similar at all ... but it does look nice.
LOL I missed that as well....
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Old 09/10/2012, 01:34 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
They didn't clone it, they went two better - by adopting common standards (qi and NFC) rather than going with cheesy proprietary tech.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Well, those standards didn't existed when Palm introduced the Touchstones...
Old 09/10/2012, 05:31 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
LOL I missed that as well....
Where you saw that
Old 09/10/2012, 07:13 PM   #31 (permalink)

I was just going off what he said, haven't seen it anywhere... my bad
Old 09/15/2012, 08:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
Well, those standards didn't existed when Palm introduced the Touchstones...
What? They both predated the Touchstone - qi was available in 2008, nfc standard was agreed in 2006.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 08:53 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
What? They both predated the Touchstone - qi was available in 2008, nfc standard was agreed in 2006.
So if they have been around so long what has been the hold up?
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 09/15/2012, 09:02 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
And SMS standard was created in the 80's.... were you texting back then? I would say my generation was the start of texting and at 18 (in the late 90's) I knew people that weren't texting (as in didn't have it on their cell plan). Just because a standard or concept was set doesn't mean it was even actually consumer available for long after.

I am guessing the Palm inductive charging was a "concept" or "standard" long before it was in production.... but you know that as well as we all do, standards and concepts are way pre production (you can't produce without a standard or concept)...

Just for reference... I know it's wiki, so all info may not be exact, but yeah... the standard was long before real life use

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service
Old 09/16/2012, 07:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK<br />
<br />
<br />
And SMS standard was created in the 80's.... were you texting back then? I would say my generation was the start of texting and at 18 (in the late 90's) I knew people that weren't texting (as in didn't have it on their cell plan). Just because a standard or concept was set doesn't mean it was even actually consumer available for long after.<br />
<br />
I am guessing the Palm inductive charging was a "concept" or "standard" long before it was in production.... but you know that as well as we all do, standards and concepts are way pre production (you can't produce without a standard or concept)...<br />
<br />
Just for reference... I know it's wiki, so all info may not be exact, but yeah... the standard was long before real life use<br />
<br />
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service
That is a fair point - btw there is no apostrophe in 80s and 90s (I know I know... I am obsessed with the grocer's apostrophe).
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 05:26 PM   #36 (permalink)

Hi,

I see that the soon to be released Google Nexus 4 phone uses the Qi wireless charging standard, like some Nokia phones.

Does anyone know how similar this is to the inductive charging used in the Touchstones?

I'm considering moving to the Nexus 4, and it would be nifty if the Touchstone worked with it. (Not that it has anything to do with my buying decision, it's just an interesting question.)
Old 11/02/2012, 05:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

Not similar enough for sure. Maybe if you replaced the coil with the TS.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 06:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

actually the touchstone is a qi product if I understand this here correct.
krushaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 07:52 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
Hi,

I see that the soon to be released Google Nexus 4 phone uses the Qi wireless charging standard, like some Nokia phones.

Does anyone know how similar this is to the inductive charging used in the Touchstones?

I'm considering moving to the Nexus 4, and it would be nifty if the Touchstone worked with it. (Not that it has anything to do with my buying decision, it's just an interesting question.)
Not even close. Tried my TP with a Qi charger. Didn't work.
habergowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 08:13 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushaaa View Post
actually the touchstone is a qi product if I understand this here correct.
That is just a list of products that use inductive charging. There is another list of certified products, and the Touchstone is not on it. Nothing on the list goes back to 2009, so the Touchstone may pre-date the Qi standard.

I also found this:
Quote:
The Wireless Power Consortium published the Qi low power specification in August 2009, 18 months after the first meeting. The first product was certified in September 2009.
Initially wireless charging of mobile phones required a sleeve. The first mobile phones with integrated Qi receivers were announced at CTIA in March 2011 and by NTT-Docomo in May 2011.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 11/02/2012 at 08:21 PM.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0