webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Android for our Pre3 - Any way of making this happen ?
Android for our Pre3 - Any way of making this happen ?
Like Tree7Likes

Old 04/29/2012, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

So, i am using my Pre3 GSM 8GB since the Firesale in Germany, however i am pretty sure there are many many more who bought his/her device sometime in the past as well.

I like webOS, but it is simply lacking the App choice of Android or iOS. We have plenty of homebrew content, however it still doesnīt cut it for me. (Still, youīre doing a great job guys)

So, since we have someone who brought Android for the HP Veer (itīs topic no.1 in the Veer section) via modifying Moboot (i assume taking from the Touchpad) and creating a custom RootFS as well as an uimage.installer file which is replacing the standard ACMEInstaller/2, he was able to let Android (I cannot tell which version he made possible to run, since i cannot test it myself) install and run. It really looks promising, though he still run into a few issues like Screen and Wifi.

AFAIK a 1GB Vacant space is required on the Media partition.
Now, letīs assume our 8GB Standard Phone has about 5,6GB of available space, we would still have about 4,6GB of Space for Android and webOS simultaneously.
We should have enough amount of RAM, donīt we ?

I would love to see someone bright picking his idea up and create something similiar for our device.
Hell, i would even sacrifice webOS completely, so we can run Android and gain more disk space.

Please keep in mind that i am nowhere near of being a developer, i am just someone who would love to see our gadgets becoming even smarter and flexible

I am willing to test results someone is going to post here.

I believe the Android OS and Drivers would be the most difficult part, right ?
Any chance we could make use of roms for similar equipped device or even CM7 or ICS ?
TheLanguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by guarder likes this.
Old 04/29/2012, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Would also love to have android on one of my Pre3s; I love it's form factor. This was discussed very early on when the work was being developed for the Touchpad but there were no takers. It's great to hear that work is progressing on the Veer.

I also notice that ICS is absorbing more of the great features of webOS. I want the best of both worlds...

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk 2
Old 04/29/2012, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I can understant the interest in having more applications available, but I don't see the point of removing webos for it.

ACL should be the most practical solution to get what we lack
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2012, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
I can understant the interest in having more applications available, but I don't see the point of removing webos for it.

ACL should be the most practical solution to get what we lack
Well, of course we donīt necessary have to remove webOS completely, however having this as an option would be appreciated. (Sure many will keep a dualboot solution, though iīld like to just keep one at a time

If i had more knowledge of coding, i would possibly take this matter on myself. However, i have not ;P
TheLanguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2012, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

why? perhaps better get a similar android phone and sell pre3 to a webos lover, and come back when webos is competitive for you again.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by creepingmee likes this.
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 04/29/2012, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

TBH, I'd rather see Boot2Gecko on our Pre 3's.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 05:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

WTB: ATT Pre 3

@TheLanguist You want Android, this person wants webOS.
Old 04/30/2012, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Since you have to go out of your way to get a pre3 I don't understand why someone would want android on it. There are phones available on top of phones available with android. Sell your pre3 and buy an android phone. If I could afford a pre3 I would buy one because I want to run webOS. I guess that's just me....
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 05/01/2012, 01:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
Since you have to go out of your way to get a pre3 I don't understand why someone would want android on it. There are phones available on top of phones available with android. Sell your pre3 and buy an android phone. If I could afford a pre3 I would buy one because I want to run webOS. I guess that's just me....
I'd love to be able to dualboot for when I need to use a particular android app. webOS the majority of the time, android every once in awhile.
quiestbml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Fresh news form Russian webOS forums.

Quote:
There is progress in porting Android to Pre3: earned sensor screen, right now android does not boot natively, runs in webOS in chroid. Pros approach: user-friendliness, while webOS bunch android applications, ease of porting to other webOS devices (call, you can shoot through the webOS, no problems with the drivers). Right now it's sketch, without any optimization, that's why it's so slow.

Link
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jimbode and andersondiaz like this.
Old 01/09/2013, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Is there a project out there somewhere for this that I can follow?
schwasskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 03:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Click the link provided above, it has all the info, or the link under "TRENDING NOW" at the top of the page
edxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 07:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
TBH, I'd rather see Boot2Gecko on our Pre 3's.
That would be pretty cool, I'd get a 2nd pre3 just to use that
Old 01/10/2013, 09:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

you dont have to
namera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 10:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
Fresh news form Russian webOS forums.

Click to view quoted video

Link
this is cool but what i'd like to see is making android apps functional on webOS just to get visual voicemail back. also with quickoffice being broken it'd be nice to have a free office suite if you don't need editing and only need to be able to view.
redrum0036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 10:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

ACL, lol
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary
Old 01/13/2013, 12:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

It's a ligament athleles often injure through tearing in the name of their sport.

Oh, you meant in the context of webOS? We call it bull**** vaporware based on endless promises without delivery.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: redrum0036
Old 01/13/2013, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
It's a ligament athleles often injure through tearing in the name of their sport.

Oh, you meant in the context of webOS? We call it bull**** vaporware based on endless promises without delivery.
Funny ok I had never heard that term
Old 01/13/2013, 10:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

i hope that i least we can have android apps on webos, don't want android on pre 3 but only apps.
this could be great
pingenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2013, 11:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingenet View Post
i hope that i least we can have android apps on webos, don't want android on pre 3 but only apps.
this could be great
Yes I agree just having some of the apps up and running would be great considering the sparse choices we have and we are losing developer support from big name guys like ingloriousapps

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0