webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Porting CM7/CM9 to HP Pre 3
Porting CM7/CM9 to HP Pre 3
Like Tree36Likes

Old 04/06/2012, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

I call out to all the HP Pre 3 users to go to this poll over here and support the topic:

Porting CM7/CM9 to HP Pre 3? - Unofficial Ports - CyanogenMod Forum

it will help us to get the attention of all the CM7/CM9 Developers.

You can think of all the android apps we can run on our Pre 3's

Please vote and vote yes!

Thank you
guarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Ziplock and truongtuananhhau1 like this.
Old 04/07/2012, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

<<thread moved>> the main forums are for webOS discussions - thank you

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 04/07/2012, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am all for choice, and will vote yes for this. However, I don't really understand it. I would think OpenMobile's ACL would be a better choice for Android apps. I figured people sought after the Pre 3's for the webOS experience.
Sylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, Vistaus and guarder like this.
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 04/07/2012, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

In my opinion, this would defeat the purpose of getting a Pre 3 in the first place. Instead, we should lobby for webOS 3 for the Pre 3 while waiting for Open webOS. Remember, webOS 3 was supposed to be an update for the Pre 3 so it is possible.
njitipairote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by carldc and Vistaus like this.
Old 04/08/2012, 03:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Pre3 is only 8GB and nearly full so I wouldn't want to waste the storage.

I have CM9 on my TP, but still use and prefer webOS more.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 04:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njitipairote View Post
In my opinion, this would defeat the purpose of getting a Pre 3 in the first place. Instead, we should lobby for webOS 3 for the Pre 3 while waiting for Open webOS. Remember, webOS 3 was supposed to be an update for the Pre 3 so it is possible.
I agree with njitipairote. I love webos 2.2.4 and would love to have 3.0 on my pre 3. But if porting is an easy thing then I don't mind dual booting webos and Android ics, since Android would give many apps.
kalyan.dande@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think porting CM9 to the Pre3 would be a worthy goal. While I'm definitely happier with webOS, I do see the possibility that I may have to give in and switch one day. Any real resurrection of webOS via the open source effort is still a long way off, probably more than a year away. By that I mean actual changes that would have daily meaning to users of the platform, not merely the release of Open webOS 1.0.

So, on that front, my TouchPad is covered by CM9, but my only option on my phone is to either buy a new one or stay with webOS. Many may argue that decent android phones are practically free on contract these days, but being off-contract on an unlocked phone is really nice so I have little interest in going back to a contract-subsidized phone.

That all said, I tend to doubt it will happen. There just aren't enough Pre3's out there to make it interesting enough for the CM team to do it. The Pre3 isn't amazing or unique enough for Android people to say "oh, if only we could get our hands on that amazing Pre3!!!". The only value in an android port for Pre3 is for those who already have Pre3's and would like to switch.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I suppose that, as said previously, OpenMobile ACL would be a better solution since we would keep the OS, and add the missing apps.
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

As much as i don't like Andriod.....having a dual boot for the time being REALLY helps in certain situations.....just does...
jezzeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

If I wanted an Android phone, I would've bought an Android phone, and come back and yammer on and on how webOS sucks in a goodbye post.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9, OldSkoolVWLover and 1 others like this.
Thanked by p41m3r, Rnp
Old 04/08/2012, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Would this possibly be available for a pre- ?
Old 04/08/2012, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
Would this possibly be available for a pre- ?
That has much much much more appeal to me. Dual boot android on a pre minus. As i don't have a pre 3 or know anyone with one since it wasn't released in the states. I'd even be interested in an older version of android ported if that is all that works on old hardware. There was one thread that i followed for a while on android on a pre but it didn't go anywhere. But i'd sort of just guess there are more people with a pre minus laying around then a pre 3.
Old 04/08/2012, 10:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

move on!!!!
thank you!
truongtuananhhau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2012, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
If I wanted an Android phone, I would've bought an Android phone, and come back and yammer on and on how webOS sucks in a goodbye post.
Agreed, my 16 gigs is over half full currently and the only real media I have on the device is some podcasts. No big video files and no music still. No way I could spare the space to boot something I didn't find necessary to pay for months ago when I bought an unwarrantied Pre3.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2012, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

This doesn't even make sense... Heck, on a Veer it barely makes sense.. Why would anyone put Android on a Veer or Pre3? Just buy a free android phone on ur 2 year agreement.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why some people did it w/ the touchpad: Nice specs, cheap tablet & you could get the apps.. But the Pre3 was NEVER cheap & the veer well, come on
zukny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2012, 01:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'd rather port webOS to my Android phone.
Liked by johnj2803, Rnp, carldc and 5 others like this.
Thanked by johnj2803, p41m3r, Rnp, xandros9
Old 04/12/2012, 02:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

I was about to be the first one to post here the other day, but apparently I tried to post at exactly the same time the thread was moved, so I guess my post is forever lost in the ether. Here's what I was going to say...

I appreciate the efforts of those involved in ventures like this, but... no, I am not going to support this.

I'm on this forum -- webOS Nation -- because I want to see the OS survive, NOT because I want to see alternatives to it. Again, I fully understand the idea that people want to get the most out of their hardware and are fearful that webOS wont survive (thanks, Leo ).

webOS WONT survive unless WE actively support and promote it. No white knight is going to sweep it to safety. It will only survive if people use it. Under that scenario, seeking alternatives wont help. We need to run webOS everywhere we can... on our phones and on our tablets. We need to encourage others to buy up the inventory still available on Amazon and eBay. We need to support and encourage app developers and homebrewers. We need to stick it out until the release of Open webOS [[[ ] -- and THEN get THAT on as many devices as possible and PUBLICLY promote it as much as possible.

It is for this same reason that I am very wary of the work being done to get Android apps to run natively on webOS. I admit to being excited by that possibility, but I am also fearful of it. I'm old enough to remember that a similar situation led to the effective death of another superior OS... IBM's OS/2. OS/2's ability to run Windows programs natively killed any incentive to develop OS/2 programs (look up the history of WordPerfect for OS/2). I don't want to see that happen to webOS.

So again, thanks...but no thanks.

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)

Last edited by carldc; 04/13/2012 at 02:40 PM.
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, OldSkoolVWLover and bradmeister1 like this.
Thanked by p41m3r, Rnp, xandros9
Old 04/12/2012, 07:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

buying an android phone on contract or off is not the same as porting an os for free. they aren't comparable. If you're not interested fine but this is hilarious. it's like the Android on the touchpad where people are so scared of the topic that they'll attack the idea as having no merit. I don't want ubuntu on my laptop. I'm not actively trying to say there's no point in anyone wanting to add it.
Old 04/13/2012, 07:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

What I don't like about the people who own webOS devices and post on this forum is their NEGATIVITY and CRITICISM, hell other OS's also have their place on the ecosystem,

WHY DON"T THE PEOPLE WHO CRITICIZE, LEARN TO SUPPORT AN IDEA, THAT IS THE ONLY WAY WEBOS IS GOING TO SURVIVE.

SUPPORT A NEW ADDITION TO YOUR LIFE

SUPPORT SOMEONE WHO IS DOING SOMETHING FOR YOU

IT IS CALLED AS BEING SELF-LESS.

I OPENED THIS TOPIC TO SUPPORT IT AND NOT TO GET OTHER IDEAS;

FROM NOW ON NO POST ABOUT ME GOING AND BUYING AN ANDROID PHONE

NO DEGRADING OF ANDROID IN COMPARISON TO WEBOS, EVEN IF WEBOS IS BETTER, YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, BOTH HAVE THEIR OWN PLACES.

LASTLY IT IS A FREE EXTRA OPTION, SO STOP ACTING LIKE AS IF YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT, SO I WANT NO NEGATIVE PERSONAL OPINIONS.

WEBOS IS ALL ABOUT BEING POSITIVE, AND SO POSITIVE BEHAVIOR WILL AND SHOULD ONLY BE SUPPORTED.
guarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by njitipairote likes this.
Old 04/13/2012, 07:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarder View Post
WHY DON"T THE PEOPLE WHO CRITICIZE, LEARN TO SUPPORT AN IDEA, THAT IS THE ONLY WAY WEBOS IS GOING TO SURVIVE.
This is not "the only way webOS will survive" and actually has nothing to do with webOS. Slapping Android onto a piece of hardware that had webOS on it does nothing for webOS. Conversely, putting webOS on a device that had Android on it actually DOES do great things for webOS. Putting a Ford engine in a Chevy truck doesn't save Chevy.

Yes, this is a webOS support site for fans of that OS - but we do allow "limited" discussions about other OS's as long as there are no posts taunting members, saying 'your OS sux', blah blah blah. Please keep the thread on-topic. If you wish to start talking about apps and 'what's available' we will direct you over to our sister site: AndroidCentral to discuss.

Thank you

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/13/2012 at 08:05 AM.
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Thanked by OldSkoolVWLover, p41m3r, Rnp

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0