webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Porting CM7/CM9 to HP Pre 3
Porting CM7/CM9 to HP Pre 3
Like Tree36Likes

Old 04/13/2012, 09:52 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
This is not "the only way webOS will survive" and actually has nothing to do with webOS. Slapping Android onto a piece of hardware that had webOS on it does nothing for webOS. Conversely, putting webOS on a device that had Android on it actually DOES do great things for webOS. Putting a Ford engine in a Chevy truck doesn't save Chevy.

Yes, this is a webOS support site for fans of that OS - but we do allow "limited" discussions about other OS's as long as there are no posts taunting members, saying 'your OS sux', blah blah blah. Please keep the thread on-topic. If you wish to start talking about apps and 'what's available' we will direct you over to our sister site: AndroidCentral to discuss.

Thank you
FIRST OF ALL BY THIS SENTENCE: "WHY DON"T THE PEOPLE WHO CRITICIZE, LEARN TO SUPPORT AN IDEA, THAT IS THE ONLY WAY WEBOS IS GOING TO SURVIVE" I mean any topic in general and not only my topic.

"Slapping Android onto a piece of hardware that had webOS on it does nothing for webOS" It does bring the ability to use 2 OS's side by side, Run the secondary OS as and when required, with WebOS as primary OS, plugging the lack of apps.

BY SAYING THAT "Conversely, putting webOS on a device that had Android on it actually DOES do great things for webOS." You are trying to say is putting a Chevy engine in a ford truck, and that doesn't work either, if it does than why not the other way around ?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY: " we do allow "limited" discussions about other OS's as long as there are no posts taunting members, saying 'your OS sux', blah blah blah." MY POST CLEARLY STATES THAT EVERY OS HAS ITS PLACE ON THE OS ECOSYSTEM, which for your understanding means I respect all OS's and love webOS.

NOW, Your whole response doesn't make sense at all, as I am clearly, respectfully, within the limits, inviting people who are interested in porting CM7/CM9 to Pre 3 as the heading states.

<<edited by staff>>

Thank you.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/13/2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: back-seat modding
guarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 10:02 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carldc View Post
I was about to be the first one to post here the other day, but apparently I tried to post at exactly the same time the thread was moved, so I guess my post is forever lost in the ether. Here's what I was going to say...

I appreciate the efforts of those involved in ventures like this, but... no, I am not going to support this.

I'm on this forum -- webOS Nation -- because I want to see the OS survive, NOT because I want to see alternatives to it. Again, I fully understand the idea that people want to get the most out of their hardware and are fearful that webOS wont survive (thanks, Leo ).

webOS WONT survive unless WE actively support and promote it. No white knight is going to sweep it to safety. It will only survive if people use it. Under that scenario, seeking alternatives wont help. We need to run webOS everywhere we can... on our phones and on our tablets. We need to encourage others to buy up the inventory still available on Amazon and eBay. We need to support and encourage app developers and homebrewers. We need to stick it out until the release of Open webOS [[[ ]]] -- and THEN get THAT on as many devices as possible and PUBLICLY promote it as much as possible.

It is for this same reason that I am very wary of the work being done to get Android apps to run natively on webOS. I admit to being excited by that possibility, but I am also fearful of it. I'm old enough to remember that a similar situation led to the effective death of another superior OS... IBM's OS/2. OS/2's ability to run Windows programs natively killed any incentive to develop OS/2 programs (look up the history of WordPerfect for OS/2). I don't want to see that happen to webOS.

So again, thanks...but no thanks.
It is clearly a choice with democracy stamped on it, you want it vote for it,if you don't want vote not for it.

Thanks but "no thanks"
Old 04/13/2012, 10:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
If I wanted an Android phone, I would've bought an Android phone, and come back and yammer on and on how webOS sucks in a goodbye post.
I cannot say better...

Best Regards...
Old 04/13/2012, 10:06 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarder View Post
FIRST OF ALL BY THIS SENTENCE: "WHY DON"T THE PEOPLE WHO CRITICIZE, LEARN TO SUPPORT AN IDEA, THAT IS THE ONLY WAY WEBOS IS GOING TO SURVIVE" I mean any topic in general and not only my topic.

"Slapping Android onto a piece of hardware that had webOS on it does nothing for webOS" It does bring the ability to use 2 OS's side by side, Run the secondary OS as and when required, with WebOS as primary OS, plugging the lack of apps.

BY SAYING THAT "Conversely, putting webOS on a device that had Android on it actually DOES do great things for webOS." You are trying to say is putting a Chevy engine in a ford truck, and that doesn't work either, if it does than why not the other way around ?

WHAT FO YOU MEAN BY: " we do allow "limited" discussions about other OS's as long as there are no posts taunting members, saying 'your OS sux', blah blah blah." MY POST CLEARLY STATES THAT EVERY OS HAS ITS PLACE ON THE OS ECOSYSTEM, which for your understanding means I respect all OS's and love webOS.

NOW, Your whole response doesn't make sense at all, as I am clearly, respectfully, within the limits, inviting people who are interested in porting CM7/CM9 to Pre 3 as the heading states.

<<edited by staff>>

Thank you.
Putting Android on all webOS devices really doesnt help webOS. Android is a lot bigger and overtaking all webOS devices is kind of like pushing webOS out of the way because its worthless. This is a webOS forum and many people here are die hard webOS fans that wouldnt think of replacing their OS. I get what youre saying about this being a topic for people who support the idea. But I dont think many people in THIS forum will support the idea. Plus, webOS phones, as of right now, arent considered high end devices. Porting Android to them is kind of pointless.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/13/2012 at 11:25 AM.
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 10:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rnp

Quote:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY: " we do allow "limited" discussions about other OS's as long as there are no posts taunting members, saying 'your OS sux', blah blah blah." MY POST CLEARLY STATES THAT EVERY OS HAS ITS PLACE ON THE OS ECOSYSTEM, which for your understanding means I respect all OS's and love webOS.

<<edited by staff>>

Thank you.
Suggestion: Go to Macmagazine Forums and ask for help to install the Android ICS in IPhone 4s...

Suggestion²: Go to Android Forums and ask for help to install the Webos in Galaxy Note or Galaxy Nexus...

Suggestion³: Go to Windows Phone Forums and ask for help to install the Android ICS in Nokia Lumia 900...

Let's gonna see what they gonna reply, and compare with our messages here...

Best Regards...

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/13/2012 at 11:25 AM.
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 10:34 AM   #26 (permalink)

A small OT note , since someone mentioned OS/2 ... I'm old enough, bought at least 2 of the releases and had a DDK subscription.

That os was very good, but the marketing is what really killed it, not the ability of running windows programs. IBM didn't have a good marketing campaign and never cared to aim it for what really was and is driving the market... the masses... thing that MS instead smartly did and do.
Personally I've always thought that IBM itself, or people high in the food chain, wanted OS/2 to fail.

It was a very basic thing : MS made sure nice games were made available for its own product. IBM no.

/OT end
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2012, 10:59 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
Putting Android on all webOS devices really doesnt help webOS. Android is a lot bigger and overtaking all webOS devices is kind of like pushing webOS out of the way because its worthless. This is a webOS forum and many people here are die hard webOS fans that wouldnt think of replacing their OS. I get what youre saying about this being a topic for people who support the idea. But I dont think many people in THIS forum will support the idea. Plus, webOS phones, as of right now, arent considered high end devices. Porting Android to them is kind of pointless.
To add to this, as I have said before elsewhere. What amount of insanity would it take to spend $200+ (some paid well over $500) for a device that was never released, never to be supported, with no warranty... to load an OS on it that is already loaded on the most diverse collection of hardware of any mobile OS.

I can't fathom anyone actually going out and purchasing a unicorn to make it look and act like a donkey. The reason it is special is because it's a unicorn, if you want a donkey go out and buy the donkey that best fits your needs. Personally I like my unicorn.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johnj2803, HelloNNNewman and bradmeister1 like this.
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 04/13/2012, 11:24 AM   #28 (permalink)

FYI for members... writing things in ALL CAPS does not help make a point.

Quote:
ok... putting a Ford engine in a Chevy truck doesn't save Ford. Nope doesn't work the other way either. Of course, I understand the point you tried to make, but I don't agree with it. Dual-booting a webOS phone will save webOS as much as dual booting MeeGo/Android would make MeeGo suddenly popular.

Quote:
My point was quite clear but I'll restate it again. This is a webOS fan/support site. We do allow discussions of other OS's, but ask members to keep them on-topic and not to wander off into discussions of apps and other off-topic items. (this was a comment for all)

Quote:
My post makes sense. I didn't say you were out of bounds. I was making a comment to all commenting in the thread.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by carldc, guarder
Old 04/13/2012, 03:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
FYI for members... writing things in ALL CAPS does not help make a point.

ok... putting a Ford engine in a Chevy truck doesn't save Ford. Nope doesn't work the other way either. Of course, I understand the point you tried to make, but I don't agree with it. Dual-booting a webOS phone will save webOS as much as dual booting MeeGo/Android would make MeeGo suddenly popular.

My point was quite clear but I'll restate it again. This is a webOS fan/support site. We do allow discussions of other OS's, but ask members to keep them on-topic and not to wander off into discussions of apps and other off-topic items. (this was a comment for all)

My post makes sense. I didn't say you were out of bounds. I was making a comment to all commenting in the thread.
OK mod, i am gonna remove this topic from here and Cyanogenmod, as I see it people do not like the idea, and it is the people who we care for, Lets hope OpenACL does give the apps functionality as I use Pre 3 as my primary phone, (I hope they are still making it, as of now there is no news).

Long live webOS

Thanks
Liked by carldc likes this.
Old 04/14/2012, 01:10 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I can't fathom anyone actually going out and purchasing a unicorn to make it look and act like a donkey. The reason it is special is because it's a unicorn...
I chalk it up to poor taste and an inability to appreciate unicorns. I've seen ppl w/ little regard and understanding do sad things to unicorns - like pour Ravenswood Zinfandel over crushed ice or fit tricked-out doors and Time Attack wheels on a high end luxury sedan.

The unicorn in question stands to lose its unique identifying marker, yet we are to believe that the result wont be your everyday horse, or in this case, worse.

In the end, we're all free to do as we wish: support such ideas... or not. And that has to be respected.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 04/15/2012, 01:00 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
I chalk it up to poor taste and an inability to appreciate unicorns. I've seen ppl w/ little regard and understanding do sad things to unicorns - like pour Ravenswood Zinfandel over crushed ice or fit tricked-out doors and Time Attack wheels on a high end luxury sedan.

The unicorn in question stands to lose its unique identifying marker, yet we are to believe that the result wont be your everyday horse, or in this case, worse.

In the end, we're all free to do as we wish: support such ideas... or not. And that has to be respected.
EPIC POST

-sent from my 32gig TP purchased in July of 2011
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 04/23/2012, 06:37 PM   #32 (permalink)

I love my pre3 and WebOS, hell who gets a Pre3 if he doesnt love it
but a option for Android would still be a nice thing, if it would run as well as on the touchpad.

The current Version of WebOS on the Pre3 is far from perfect, especially the Browser is very annoying imo and has many bugs. Combine that with the lack of certain apps that are very usefull on a smartphone but just missing on the pre3, hell the pre3 even misses many older or newer apps (Pre-,2,Touchpad) that wont work or very poorly.

We dont even know yet if OpenWebOS will change anything for us Pre3 users in the future...
so a option for android would be a nice thing imo.

The Pre3 is a good phone, more than enough for me, i like the slider and everything but with the current WebOS Version it just barely uses it potential.

PS: Now rip me apart or not :P

And yeah i could get a android phone with same specs for 100-200 eur, but if i have a option to get android running on the pre3 for a donation and keep it together with WebOS as main phone this would be a awesome solution until we see where WebOS will go in the future
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2012, 11:13 PM   #33 (permalink)

If it was not for the love of WebOS, I wouldnt have bought my 2nd Pre in India.

But I would love the choice of a Dual boot.
zeushunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2012, 08:35 PM   #34 (permalink)

I loved my pre+ upgraded to 2.1 for a year, have TP with both OS running and when my pre+ started with the ghost in it (most probably due to charging in an other country, but also heavy duty use in the construction business with scratches all over the display) ordered a pre3 on ebay and use it now for a month or so.

I really like my TP with 2 OS running and would like to see my pre3 running with it as well, although WEBOS is far better but less app, you have more app less multi tasking etc. with Android.

my pre+ by the way is in testing phase with 2.2.4 on it but also there the ghost is killing the fun out of the machine and only use it with wifi for the kids to play music and make still great photo's.

free is what I like and that is what are my pre's and cheap TP
ennu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 05:16 AM   #35 (permalink)

I've just seen the nexus 4 specifications lately and i'm wondering if this smart-phone isn't close enough to the HP Pre 3 hardware to consider an Android port ?
Both use the same combo Qualcomm/Adreno brand.
Old 01/07/2013, 11:12 AM   #36 (permalink)

Fresh news form Russian webOS forums.

Quote:
There is progress in porting Android to Pre3: earned sensor screen, right now android does not boot natively, runs in webOS in chroid. Pros approach: user-friendliness, while webOS bunch android applications, ease of porting to other webOS devices (call, you can shoot through the webOS, no problems with the drivers). Right now it's sketch, without any optimization, that's why it's so slow.

Link
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gderoiste and cbosdell like this.
Old 01/07/2013, 04:02 PM   #37 (permalink)

I think the more options our hardware has the better, including android drivers, I sure the devs that made CM9, CM10 for touchpad probably know more about our hardware, as they had to create / hack working binary drivers for camera, sound , mic etc, and having there code available as open source can only be a good thing. I happy to support any open standard for OS or hardware.

Android phones are now available at price of $50 and even as low as $30 for about same hardware level as pre3, there is no shortage and i had cheap android phone, but I bought a cheao pre3 of ebay just to try webOS on phone , and I love it, it where my sim now lives, but I still use my android just on wifi because it has apps that webOS doesnt have. Like the idea of running android in a card.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 02:07 AM   #38 (permalink)

Really looking forward to this , hopefully there will be a dual boot option with android running natively but in the cards is OK.
Looks like I may get another year out of the Pre3 :-)
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 06:56 AM   #39 (permalink)

What a great news!
Tenchi-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 03:00 PM   #40 (permalink)

I love my unicorn, but it won't carry my stuff, won't carry me around and there are currently only some rather paltry options in saddles and accoutrements. A mule would be much better. But I don't care for mules. What if, on occasion, when I have the need for certain things that a mule can do, I simply cover up my unicorn in a mule suit? Only takes a minute to strap on and then I can do all the things I need my 4 legged equines to do. And when I am done using all of the saddles, and bridles and blankets and shoes, and bits, and blinder and accessories that are available with a mule, I can simply unzip the suit and go back to the comfort and beauty of my unicorn.

Because, the other option is that since I need the option to use the things that are only available to a mule, if I have to make a choice between keeping a relatively unproductive unicorn that I can't dress up, or buying a mule that isn't as sporty but definitely will do the things I need it to, then I am going to have to buy a mule. Sigh. I don't want a mule.
intron is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0