webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Android on veer is coming
Android on veer is coming
Like Tree39Likes

Old 05/08/2012, 12:12 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
Fantastic work, everyone!

Is there a simple way to do this on a Mac, rather than a PC? I know the drag-and-drop file movements are identical, but the terminal commands would be different, would they not?

Trying to whip up a quick how-to video for this process, but I don't have a PC here in the home office. Is there a quick terminal command tutorial someone can give me to make this work?

Thanks!
i think there is no novacom package for mac... so you cant connect to the device during it is in recovery/boot mode...

that you can see the files on the device is because the veer will be recognized as an external storage...

the only command you need is to execute "novacom boot mem://<uImage.install" in the folder, where the uImage.install file is saved, during the veer is connected to the pc/mac and recognized by novacom...

maybe you can boot from a ubuntu 12.04 live cdrom, and in the live system you can install novacom from the hp webos website...
then execute a terminal and browse to the place where you have stored the .deb file (with ca "foldername")
there you can execute "dpgk -i *.deb" to install novacom... after that you should execute "service novacom restart" to check and verify that novacom runs.

in my opinion, you can't brick your device with this solution, cause novacom is not started, nothing will happen.

greetings from germay
onkelalex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2012, 11:07 PM   #82 (permalink)

Awesome work! However, when I did this on my 2.1.2 Veer on AT&T I lost everything I had installed. It took an unusual amount of time to boot webOS, which makes me curious to think it could have possibly went into recovery, and then I lost all of my apps. Patches also are gone. I was wanting to clean it up anyway, so thats fine... but beware

Thanks to all of those who have contributed!!

EDIT: I ended up doctoring the phone only because I use this as my primary device. Will wait and see what the future holds. I'm planning to jump ship to the GSIII in June, so will use it as a play device.

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Last edited by kryptonite_2448; 05/09/2012 at 11:25 PM.
kryptonite_2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2012, 09:09 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelalex123 View Post
i think there is no novacom package for mac... so you cant connect to the device during it is in recovery/boot mode...

that you can see the files on the device is because the veer will be recognized as an external storage...

the only command you need is to execute "novacom boot mem://<uImage.install" in the folder, where the uImage.install file is saved, during the veer is connected to the pc/mac and recognized by novacom...

maybe you can boot from a ubuntu 12.04 live cdrom, and in the live system you can install novacom from the hp webos website...
then execute a terminal and browse to the place where you have stored the .deb file (with ca "foldername")
there you can execute "dpgk -i *.deb" to install novacom... after that you should execute "service novacom restart" to check and verify that novacom runs.

in my opinion, you can't brick your device with this solution, cause novacom is not started, nothing will happen.

greetings from germay
Thanks very much for the suggestions! I ended up running into a friend with a PC and borrowed his to perform this procedure. Man, I gota get Parallels for my Mac.

Anyway, the install was a success, and I've put together a short video on the process with the help of my coworkers at Pocketnow. Will post the link to the video when it goes live at 10:30AM EST. Nothing in there we don't already know - in fact, most of the help came from this thread - but it will hopefully help people looking to do this in the future ... at least as long as the directions remain valid.

Will follow up on this post when the video goes live.
Old 05/10/2012, 10:35 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
Thanks very much for the suggestions! I ended up running into a friend with a PC and borrowed his to perform this procedure. Man, I gota get Parallels for my Mac.

Anyway, the install was a success, and I've put together a short video on the process with the help of my coworkers at Pocketnow. Will post the link to the video when it goes live at 10:30AM EST. Nothing in there we don't already know - in fact, most of the help came from this thread - but it will hopefully help people looking to do this in the future ... at least as long as the directions remain valid.

Will follow up on this post when the video goes live.
I'll take the honors: Tiny Droid: Installing Android on the HP Veer (Video)

Great review! Thanks!!

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
kryptonite_2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by madlove143 likes this.
Thanked By: madlove143
Old 05/10/2012, 10:52 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite_2448 View Post
I'll take the honors: Tiny Droid: Installing Android on the HP Veer (Video)

Great review! Thanks!!
Wow, beat me to it! Thanks for posting!

Hope you guys enjoy it ... special thanks to everyone who's been working on this project and helping those of us non-devs do it ourselves. Especially Nexoman, whose posts were instrumental in getting this done.

Will be following future builds of this port with interest!
Old 05/11/2012, 05:39 AM   #86 (permalink)

Thats's great! I will test it this evening. But I got one question. What about the ACME Installer? What ist it for?

Greetings from Germany!
mac-gundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2012, 07:26 AM   #87 (permalink)

I tried to install something via google play, but it didn't work because of unknown device...
Whatever if you couldn't install apps via that chinese app market with my instrunctions, you also can go to appbrain.com via the stock android browser, search for your apps and click on install on the website, this will open the chinese app and you just have to hit the download button on the bottom...

Some apps i was able to run with that: Dolphin Browser HD, Cut the rope, Opera Mini, Angry birds, whatsapp(installed but can't connect cuz lack of phone drive/network connection), IM+,facebook app for android, kakao talk and dropbox...

Much fun with that!
kaz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2012, 12:03 PM   #88 (permalink)

Here I took some pictures with apps I installed on my veer.
I also did an antutu Benchmark Test and got 1496 points.
I am running go launcher.

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2
nexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, socolavn95 and rezartS like this.
Old 05/15/2012, 03:36 PM   #89 (permalink)

i had 1527 at the benchmark test...
and i found out that if you fill in the correct date/time in the settings you can also set up email accounts and apps like facebook and im+ will work also...dunno why but with the wrong date i couldnt connect...
Old 05/16/2012, 07:57 AM   #90 (permalink)

Tried it several times,

android-rootfs.tar + boot.tar -> /media/internal/
ACMEInstaller and uImage.install in current dir (linux)

then:
$ novacom boot mem://<uImage.install

partition fine (first time created, 2nd, 3rd try instaler finds the partition ofc)
extraction of both tar is fine
OK, reboot now

reboots...

and then I get for 2 seconds my bootlogo and then www.palm.com/ROM ....

Hmm I have a 2.2.4 Veer (European version) and modified the bootlogo.tga

maybe start from a clean 2.1.1 webosdoc point?
nichtwirklich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2012, 09:27 AM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichtwirklich View Post
Tried it several times,

android-rootfs.tar + boot.tar -> /media/internal/
ACMEInstaller and uImage.install in current dir (linux)

then:
$ novacom boot mem://<uImage.install

partition fine (first time created, 2nd, 3rd try instaler finds the partition ofc)
extraction of both tar is fine
OK, reboot now

reboots...

and then I get for 2 seconds my bootlogo and then www.palm.com/ROM ....

Hmm I have a 2.2.4 Veer (European version) and modified the bootlogo.tga

maybe start from a clean 2.1.1 webosdoc point?
i also had 2.2.4. european veer, i was able to boot into android but not into webos...doctored back to 2.1.1 and now everything is working smoothly
Thanked By: nichtwirklich
Old 05/16/2012, 10:15 AM   #92 (permalink)

Hmmm

I worked with those files:

326c18b344576a138d9c913927bb56b6 android-rootfs.tar
960257d17cbb72dd12d7a09636b76409 boot.tar
305b3a882ea9ddfe2ef8ff95cc48562a uImage.install
bf05498d63a9088430e1c1b4fdf57cd9 ACMEInstaller

from a fresh 2.1.1
boot.tar and android-rootfs.at are on the usb-partition (root directory)
ACMEInstaller and uImage.install on the folder where I start

novacom boot mem://<uImage.install

same result www.palm.com/ROM
nichtwirklich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2012, 02:09 AM   #93 (permalink)

Do we know when we might have a fully working version of android on veer?
devil.insulted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2012, 05:30 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil.insulted View Post
Do we know when we might have a fully working version of android on veer?
well i already asked the same thing, afaik noone here has contact to the chinese developer and on the github site nothing happened for already 20 days.
only info we got is that the people from pocketnow.com said that we will have it by end of the summer, but i think that was just guessing...
Old 05/17/2012, 11:43 PM   #95 (permalink)

Hi, everyone .

I successfully installed android on my veer running 2.1.2 , and I must say android looks neat and very usable but when booted webos , I noticed that all of apps which I installed using webosquickinstall disappeared along with all the patches , and tried to install those patches again but end up experiencing errors , so I doctored my veer and it took me almost a day to install all those apps and patches . So, does anyone experienced this problem ? . And do let me know if there's a fix to this issue .

Thank you .
arali1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2012, 07:08 AM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arali1987 View Post
Hi, everyone .

I successfully installed android on my veer running 2.1.2 , and I must say android looks neat and very usable but when booted webos , I noticed that all of apps which I installed using webosquickinstall disappeared along with all the patches , and tried to install those patches again but end up experiencing errors , so I doctored my veer and it took me almost a day to install all those apps and patches . So, does anyone experienced this problem ? . And do let me know if there's a fix to this issue .

Thank you .
well i think this cant be the reason why your patches and apps disappeared.
just a tip for next time to prevent to happen something like this: use save/restore app...
Old 05/18/2012, 02:46 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz89 View Post
well i think this cant be the reason why your patches and apps disappeared.
just a tip for next time to prevent to happen something like this: use save/restore app...
Already used save & restore but it did not restored a single app or patch from the backup.
arali1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/26/2012, 08:44 PM   #98 (permalink)

so i guess this project also died, or does someone have more infos?
Old 05/27/2012, 04:51 PM   #99 (permalink)

I also think, that this project is dead. Very sad, there was so much potential.

send from my HP Touchpad with CM9
nexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2012, 10:45 AM   #100 (permalink)

Any updates for us renren12310 ?
vijay_raptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0