webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Android on veer is coming
Android on veer is coming
Like Tree39Likes

Old 04/28/2012, 11:49 PM   #61 (permalink)

screen color is ok,and now the developer is testing the phone driver.
renren12310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Max Biaggi likes this.
Old 04/29/2012, 03:47 AM   #62 (permalink)

You guys really did a nice job. The first alpha is incredible!
I'm really convidenced that android on veer will soon work perfectly.

One question is it possible to install the gapps via ACMEInstaller?

Keep going!!!
nexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2012, 07:02 AM   #63 (permalink)

Great work guys and if phone works I am going to try this on my veer.
vijay_raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2012, 05:43 PM   #64 (permalink)

The lucky few that have this working, can we see pics?!
Also anyone know if I can download the BBC iPlayer app from android market after installing the goodies??
abz199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 05:44 AM   #65 (permalink)

So for all people asking theirself, puttig android on their veer, I will write what works on my veer.
I installed android on my unbranded GSM HP Veer, which has german keyboard layout, because I'm from germany.
So the touchscreen and the screen color are ok.
Also anroid is booting very fast. It's android version 2.3.7.
For the home/back/menu button, the developer has found a very good solution. For back and home screen you just use the webos gestures. For menu you swipe from left to right.
I tried to install the market etc. via ACMEInstaller but it didn't worked for me.
Also the wifi works but always when yout reboot your phone, you have to resign in the wlan network.
Multitouch in the browser doesn't work. bluetooth, auto rotate screen, gps, phone, camer doesnt work too.
Also you cant take a look at your pictures or music, because the phone say, there is no SD card.
But the alpha is very stable, I didn't had any crashes.
Here I found a youtube video
Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread running on HP Veer 4G - YouTube
Liked by MuArt likes this.
Thanked By: MuArt
Old 04/30/2012, 06:41 AM   #66 (permalink)

for those that got this onto their phones please post instructions.

I tried the ones in the main thread and i've killed my phone. Currently doctoring it back as we speak.

I got a - palm.com/rom error.

EDIT ***********************************************88

All working now. The boot.img file I copied onto my phone wasnt copied correctly. Tried it again and it all worked succesfully. Nice android port, as others say very fluid. will look forward to when I can use the phone part.

Last edited by baloo247; 04/30/2012 at 06:35 PM.
baloo247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 07:44 AM   #67 (permalink)

Ok, for all people, who need Instructions:
1. First you should download the novacom drivers:
windows 32 bit: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/opensourc...com-win-32.tgz
windows 64 bit: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/opensourc...com-win-64.tgz
Don`t forget to install them!

Then you have to download the ACMEInstaller:Goo.im Downloads - Downloading ACMEInstaller.zip
Unzip the ACMEInstaller in the palm, Inc folder (c: programms: palm, Inc)

Then you download the three files from the chinese website.
Put the uImage.install in the palm folder

Then connect your running hp veer with your computer and put the androidroots.tar file and the boot.tar on your Veer.
!Important! Don't put them in a folder just copy them on the veer.
After you copied the files on your veer turn it of. Then you turn it on and press the power key and louder key. Press it as long until there appear an usb symbol. Now you are in download mode.

Then open the commando bar (windows xp: win+R) enter "cmd"and navigate to the palm folder.
You use the commando "cd.." to change the directory.
Do as often the commando "cd.." until theres only written "c:\>"
then write:
"cd programs"
"cd palm, Inc."
"novacom boot mem://<uImage.install"
Always press enter after a command

After that commando you finished the work.
Then wait until the installation starts on your Veer. (On my Computer it takes about three minutes)

After the installation your device reboot and you can navigate in moboot using volume keys and power keys.

Hope it helps you. Would be nice, if you post your results.

Last edited by Nexoman; 05/01/2012 at 09:43 AM.
Liked by Max Biaggi and chatojero like this.
Old 04/30/2012, 07:45 AM   #68 (permalink)

It's a very good alpha release!!! Android is fluid, really. Hope it will get a full rom!!! THANKS TO THE DEV FOR HIS JOB!!!
Max Biaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 09:22 AM   #69 (permalink)

Nexoman, thank you so much for the instructions, cant wait to get stuck in!

On a side note (I am kind of new to webOS) is there any way the stock browser on the HP Veer can be tweaked so that it only goes to a desktop site, not mobile. Eg when I select BBC iPlayer I get a message saying the phone is not optimized for mobile iPlyaer. But I just want the regular site!!!
abz199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2012, 08:03 PM   #70 (permalink)

Nexoman, great help!

Android is installed and running smoothly on the Veer. Can't wait for the actual phone stuff to work.
theotherandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2012, 12:28 AM   #71 (permalink)

i've installed the android image on my german veer (2.2.4) but if i choose android in the bootloader, the screen gets black, and the "android" appears withe a curser blinks behind.

but nothing happens there... so i have to remove the battery to reboot the veer... any suggestions?

greetings from germany

onke alex
onkelalex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2012, 07:53 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelalex123 View Post
i've installed the android image on my german veer (2.2.4) but if i choose android in the bootloader, the screen gets black, and the "android" appears withe a curser blinks behind.

but nothing happens there... so i have to remove the battery to reboot the veer... any suggestions?

greetings from germany

onke alex
Der HP Veer hat einen reset mit dem du ihn neustarten kannst. Dazu halte einfach die Power Taste gedrückt und bewege den lautlos Schalter mindestens 4 mal hin und her. Dann sollte der Hp veer rebooten.
Ich empfehle dir falls der selbe Fehler wieder auftritt, die Installation mit den von mir oben verfassten Schritten zu wiederholen.

Gruß Nexoman
Old 05/02/2012, 09:28 AM   #73 (permalink)

The AppMarket doesnt work?
Is it possible to install apps although?
Knotenoeffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2012, 04:19 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexoman View Post
Der HP Veer hat einen reset mit dem du ihn neustarten kannst. Dazu halte einfach die Power Taste gedrückt und bewege den lautlos Schalter mindestens 4 mal hin und her. Dann sollte der Hp veer rebooten.
Ich empfehle dir falls der selbe Fehler wieder auftritt, die Installation mit den von mir oben verfassten Schritten zu wiederholen.

Gruß Nexoman
For those wondering, per Google translation:

"The HP Veer has a reset with which you can restart it. Just hold the power button and move the silent switch for at least 4 times back and forth. Then you should reboot the Hp veer.
I recommend if the same error occurs again, repeat the installation with the top of my written steps.

Greeting Nexoman"

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
kryptonite_2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2012, 05:16 PM   #75 (permalink)

I don't know if these issues are known, they likely are, but for the developers sake I'll list what I have:

-The battery indicator doesn't work. It will tell me what's using the most battery though, which is odd.
-The only way I can see to exit the browser is to keep swiping backwards. That means going back through every single page I've been on.
-No sound at all.

That's it so far. Great job! It almost seems made for the phone.
theotherandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2012, 07:35 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherandy View Post
I don't know if these issues are known, they likely are, but for the developers sake I'll list what I have:

-The battery indicator doesn't work. It will tell me what's using the most battery though, which is odd.
-The only way I can see to exit the browser is to keep swiping backwards. That means going back through every single page I've been on.
-No sound at all.

That's it so far. Great job! It almost seems made for the phone.
I believe swiping up is the home button.
rj_989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2012, 07:54 AM   #77 (permalink)

okay followed the instrunctions and android is running well...
I tried some things with that "foreign-laguage-app" and yes its a app-store, i also installed some apps like im+ and some games, but most of them aren't running or not connecting like im+(wifi is turned on and connected).
Working fine and i'd even say that its faster than my 2.2.4. veer...
Problem is when i restart it and want to boot back in to webos 2.2.4 it gets stuck in the "hp-blinking" screen when booting, i waited atleast 1 hour and nothing happened, it always get stucked at that hp-logo blinking bootscreen.
I also restarted it and tried over again and its the same...
So any suggestions what i could try before doctoring?

some infos:

German Veer running webOS 2.2.4... and some preware patches are on it...
kaz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2012, 01:46 AM   #78 (permalink)

after i installed it once again, it runs smmoth
but how can i install some apps on it? (ar.freeflight would be nice )

--

i want to add something to kaz89 post:

after reinstalling the android file system, the veer doesn't make any noise... no call-ringtone, no system-tone, absolutely silent.
this morning, i've doctored the device back to 2.1.1 and finally up to 2.2.4, and *tadaa* there is sound. very strange in my opinion...

greetings from germany...

onkelalex
onkelalex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 05:03 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelalex123 View Post
after i installed it once again, it runs smmoth
but how can i install some apps on it? (ar.freeflight would be nice )
onkelalex
I already wrote on the veer forum how to install apps, try that:

And yes you can install apps, that app with the chinese letters is a app market.
If you are connected to the web, open it and tap loupe-button on the bottom middle, then tap on the top search-bar and type in what you want search(ofcourse you can do it also with non-chinese letters), then tap on the app you want and the app-review page will appear, just tap now on the orange bar on the bottom and you will see % downloading, when its finished another tap on the orange bar will open the app...
I've already found apps like angry birds,fruit ninja, whatsapp and others...some games/apps are running some are not because of lack to internet, like im+(couldnt connect), or just crashed because of the graphics...but i played fruit ninja and angry birds.

Is there a way to contact the developer, as far as i get it he is not active on that forum...and i would like to check if there are any updates going on besides the github site...
kaz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2012, 08:27 AM   #80 (permalink)

Fantastic work, everyone!

Is there a simple way to do this on a Mac, rather than a PC? I know the drag-and-drop file movements are identical, but the terminal commands would be different, would they not?

Trying to whip up a quick how-to video for this process, but I don't have a PC here in the home office. Is there a quick terminal command tutorial someone can give me to make this work?

Thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0