webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Turning iOS into webOS
Turning iOS into webOS
Like Tree4Likes

Old 03/20/2012, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

So I've been missing webOS so badly since my Pre+ gave up on me and HP stopped selling new phones, and using Android 2.3, then 4.0 on my Nexus S has been driving me mad, so I decided to get an iPhone 4S (haven't bought it yet). I'm unable to use a stock iOS device though, so I'd have to jailbreak it first and tweak it up.

So I've recently been looking at how far the iOS jailbreak community has come with their various tweaks, specifically I was curious about how I'd go about recreating as much of webOS on my iPhone 4S as possible.

I suppose this thread is just a record of my findings for anyone who's interested in having the wonderful features of webOS and the app/media ecosystem of Apple's iDevices. So here we go:

Multi-tasking:

Card Switcher 2.0 - The 2.0 release of this tweak has added live previews inside the cards, webOS style, and you can even snap the card down and have it bounce off the screen like the Touchpad. Using Activator, you can configure it to work by swiping up, seeing as so many of us got so used to that gesture! Swipe up to close, obviously:

Zephyr - This tweak lets you swipe to switch between open apps, similar to swiping across the whole gesture area on a webOS phone to switch between full screen cards.

Other System Tweaks:

CommandSpot version 2.0 - JustType for iOS:

Lorem - Swipe to dismiss notifications:

Notificator - Plugs notification banner into more than just the normal events, lets you see more actions webOS style:

Pull To Dismiss: Slide Away Your Keyboard Across iOS!

Rounded Corners: Self explanatory, like webOS

So aside from those tweaks, iOS has copied webOS style notification pop ups, except they turn up at the top of the screen instead of the bottom. I think a lot of webOS refugees have been suffering on other OS's, just being one person planning to move to iOS I want to make it feel as much like webOS as possible. So hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.

Disclaimer: You have to jailbreak your iOS device to make these changes, do your research and find the correct jailbreak for your device/iOS version, I ain't responsible for any brickages, and neither is webOS Nation!! These are all unofficial tweaks so if they ruin your set up, your bad, not ours!

Last edited by i_maq; 03/25/2012 at 10:45 AM.
i_maq is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, Soorma and Etios like this.
Old 03/20/2012, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks
another card option is multifl0w
^^
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2012, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cardswitcher looks like a winner. Only thing it's missing is the upswipe from bottom to bring up the cardview (and Zephr has the upswipe but not card view).
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2012, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm really going to miss the ease of WebOS mods/tweaks when my Pre finally quits, which its days are numbered.... Not looking forward to have to jailbreak my future iOS device just install tweaks/mods.

Last edited by Achill3s; 03/21/2012 at 03:54 PM.
Achill3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 03/21/2012, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
Cardswitcher looks like a winner. Only thing it's missing is the upswipe from bottom to bring up the cardview (and Zephr has the upswipe but not card view).
You just choose "Swipe from bottom" in activator and that's how you can have swipe up to card view
Old 03/21/2012, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
You just choose "Swipe from bottom" in activator and that's how you can have swipe up to card view
Perfect!
But I will still not buy apple.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

since when did cardswitcher get live cards?
Old 03/21/2012, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
since when did cardswitcher get live cards?
Version 2.0, quite recent I think...
Old 03/21/2012, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
Version 2.0, quite recent I think...
yea, i just got it now ^^
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
Old 03/25/2012, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Added another tweak at the bottom of the original post...
Old 03/21/2013, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

I tested it on an iPad and Cardswitcher works great. I love my Pre but I hate the Browser. The iOS Webkit Browser is very smooth and the resolution is great so I also thought about to switch to iOS and mod it to my needs.

The only thing that stops me is the fiddly keyboard in iOS (sadly there is no swype for iOS) and the ugly iOS interface. Also I would miss the touchstone.
Daniel Krasznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2013, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Krasznai View Post
I tested it on an iPad and Cardswitcher works great. I love my Pre but I hate the Browser. The iOS Webkit Browser is very smooth and the resolution is great so I also thought about to switch to iOS and mod it to my needs.

The only thing that stops me is the fiddly keyboard in iOS (sadly there is no swype for iOS) and the ugly iOS interface. Also I would miss the touchstone.
dunno wth im doing but often when im using the ipad3 virtual keyboard the damned thing just dismisses itsself for no good reason, wasnt sure if it was glitching after doing a spelling suggestion or just having a bad hair day.

very annoying tho.

think ive tried Zephyr, but was occasionally glitchy on my ipad3 (mines still ios5 tho because as i read it, it seems as if each and every os upgrade wipes the whole device? rather than just patch/upgrade the os?, not sure i cba doin that esp if theres minor updates after hitting 6).

havent tried Card Switcher before, might try later, i think i did try Quasar which sounded unique/interesting but it was far far too terrible overall considering all the app bugs it introduced, it was hard enough finding/searching for decent apps in cydia, nearly every search result ends up with hundreds of themes rather than apps, even then you cant really tell whats meant for phones/tablets/ios versions until you click them all and read past the adverts/junk.

tbh ive only come accross useful stuff that other people have found and posted, using cydia itsself ive got nowhere fast and infuriated even faster, probably still best looking for more threads like this or the odd google search of "top 10/20/etc" lists.

the most useful stuff seems to be gesture related patches/apps tho, nice and basic/simple.
Old 03/22/2013, 05:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Would be nice if you put the cydia:// links into your post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 03/22/2013, 06:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

you know what I really hate? iphone icons. I can spot an iphone from a mile away. I cant even imagine looking at that crap every day, lipstic on a pig if you ask me.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2013, 01:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

What's the difference between iPhone icons and every other icon? Beside that retina icons ( from am good designer ) looks more awesome in general...

Last edited by pattyland; 03/22/2013 at 02:50 PM.
pattyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2013, 02:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyland View Post
What's the difference between iPhon icons and every other icon? Beside that retina icons ( from am good designer )looks more awesome in general...

Them is loud !!!!!
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2013, 09:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

ios latest update 6.1.3 broke the jailbreak as of a few days ago. Apple tends to update their devices to the latest update and they don't let you downgrade to the one that works so if you haven't bought your device already, you may be out of luck. Some of the older phones (iphone 4?) may be downgrade able but I am not sure, do your research.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2013, 10:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
ios latest update 6.1.3 broke the jailbreak as of a few days ago. Apple tends to update their devices to the latest update and they don't let you downgrade to the one that works so if you haven't bought your device already, you may be out of luck. Some of the older phones (iphone 4?) may be downgrade able but I am not sure, do your research.
Yeah, the whole process is a PITA. I got a used iPhone 3GS that was on iOS 4... I then upgraded to iOS6 before I knew you had to jump through a bunch of freakin' hoops prior to upgrading or you could not revert.

It gives me headaches to think about it.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2013, 11:23 AM   #19 (permalink)

Apple's stance on jailbreaking really irritates me. I would love to jailbreak mine and add these cool features to make it more friendly, but I can't bring myself to do it.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2013, 04:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

er...
I suppose this makes sense to android users
Back to stock: get the Nexus look on any Android phone | The Verge
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ios, ipad, iphone

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0