webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > What are people using to replace their Pre's?
What are people using to replace their Pre's?
Like Tree11Likes

Old 03/01/2012, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am still using my Sprint Pre that I bought on June 6th, 2009. I deployed to Afghanistan last July and at the time I thought I would come home in the summer of 2012 and get a shiny new HP WebOS phone but obviously that is not going to happen now.

I am currently home for 2 weeks on my R&R and I quickly realized that my phone is woefully under-powered. Kind of frustrating because I'm a big tech geek and have always enjoyed having some of the best phones out there, regardless of public opinion. Yes, I even held on to my Treo 750 when everyone else was jumping to the iPhone because I knew Palm had something great coming soon.

Unfortunately I guess it's time to jump ship and Apple isn't an option (can't stand their closed ecosystem) so that leaves me with Android or Windows 8. Has anyone heard of any good phones that would satisfy a cell phone junkie coming out sometime around July 2012?

Thanks,
Karl
allenkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jdod
Old 03/01/2012, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

I picked up a Pre3 in October its a great phone that should last me a couple years. I have no idea and hate the thought of having to get some non-webOS phone in the future. I hold out hope that Open Source webOS will end up on some phones by the end of the year.
dgcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well I will probably end up staying with Sprint so unfortunately the Pre 3 isn't an option for me.
Old 03/01/2012, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pre3 is great, Pre2 is great, Veer is great.

Make the jump to GSM and buy one off contract. Can even go month to month if your situation requires it.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 03/01/2012, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

I switched to a Samsung Epic 4G Touch. It's a little big, but plenty of options for customization. I'm still struggling with the loss of some of the REALLY EASY THINGS that webOS does (e.g. integrated messaging, unobtrusive but not hidden notifications, easy task switching). But I'm slowly finding solutions to plug holes as I can.

My hope is that by buying this fine piece of hardware, it will be robust enough to load webOS back on to it as some point in the future
nhavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Epic 4g touch

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Not enough apps in the catalog? Well, the apps suit my needs just fine.

You're on your 3rd replacement? My launch day Pre never had a problem.

WebOS = potential
stung is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: cyberprashant
Old 03/01/2012, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just upgraded from a Pre- to a Pre 3.
Old 03/01/2012, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Veer here.
Old 03/01/2012, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I will throw out a suggestion that as worked for me. I originally franken-pre'd with a Pre Plus. That was an okay 'upgrade'. After a few months I finally buckled down and made the leap to a Franken-Pre 2. OMGoshhhhh!!!!! The difference between the Pre plus and Pre 2 are world's apart. The feel of the device is more solid, faster and I am actually completely satisfied with the switch. So much so that my upgrade is just sitting there gathering dust.

That is my 2 cent, I am sure you will find a lot of happy campers as myself. I can not go to Apple (I thought about it before the Pre2) and android seems so blahhhh (my wife has a Galaxy S2). But those are just my opinions.
dowdyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

when my pre 2 dies, i hope to get another, or maye a tp.
if not,

Tungsten T3
or my ipod touch
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you don't want to be an Apple or Android drinker, take a look at the Windows Phone. Yeah, Srpint only has one right now, but take a look at the reviews of the Arrive on the Sprint website. Most of them are five star. And you can feel like you are on an OS that will become big in the next couple of years. (just like WebOS, haha). WP is missing some things that WebOS had, but it has some really great features and works fast and smooth and MS has the money to push this OS.
gapost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions. So with the Franken-Pre, I can buy a Pre 2 and then use the comm board from my original Pre to make it work on Sprint?

I've also heard good things about Windows Phone 8. If it lives up to the hype it might be worth going that route in the fall.
Old 03/01/2012, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Franklen Pre2 would work wonders for u. Stick with WebOS.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/01/2012, 10:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am just getting into webOS. Why webOS?

Apple = closed system
Andoid = Just don't like
Windows = I want to get away from windows although I have no problems with their phones.
WebOS = perfect

Last edited by jjames888; 03/01/2012 at 11:27 PM.
jjames888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus and boldpreza like this.
Old 03/01/2012, 10:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Switched from a Pre- to a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Great phone.
stbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 03:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

I've been hooked on webOS ever since I ditched my sprint instinct in 09. I've had all the webOS devices now except the veer. I've tried IOS, and Android and Windows phones when they announced no new webOS, I was extremely disappointed with the other os's! They were like using an old ten year old computer after owning a new one. I dunno what the hell webOS has that makes it awesomer more than the others; but its got me hooked unfortunately and I don't see any needs to get any stuck up iphone or premature feeling android device. I'll be sticking to webOS until my 2 TP, 3 Pre2, and 2 Pre 3's die. Or something worth a crap load better than what I've seen coming out lately. The other phones are like using a dumb phone after owning a smart one. It was a horrible experience trying to work with their operating systems for 30 or less days at a time while experimenting another phone. webOS may be dead but its still way ahead of any of the other over reproduced crap out their now a days! damnit.
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 07:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

We just switched from Sprint with a FrankenPre2 and a Pixi. The FrankenPre2 was awesome....but....We both have Veers on Straighttalk using ATT's H+ speeds and it's just so much faster than sprint was....and way cheaper. FrankenPre2 and Pixi are on the market!!!!
jezzeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 08:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

First of all, thank you for your service to our great nation!

I also am on Sprint with a Pre - and am considering what to do. I also do not want to go iphone, so this is my plan for the year:
  1. I like what I see about ICS, so am anticipating a great world phone with ICS on it this summer or fall. Though bigger than most might like, I am liking too what I see with the Samsung Nexus Note that is rumored to launch on Sprint as the Journal, don't know if this is or will be a world phone when Sprint gets it. In any event, I will see what stylus capable phones like the Note/Journal will be out there later this year.
  2. But, I will not make a decision until I can test drive a good Windows Phone 8 device. I like what I see with this op system thus far and will hold out until I can test drive one.

Best to you and come back home again!
Old 03/02/2012, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenkt View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. So with the Franken-Pre, I can buy a Pre 2 and then use the comm board from my original Pre to make it work on Sprint?
Yes, I just did this myself a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you - the Pre 2 is a huge jump up from a Pre. I had my Pre- overclocked and while the Pre 2 runs at the same speed without being overclocked, it's much, much more responsive and such a huge improvement. I haven't even bothered to overclock the Pre 2. While some of the newer phones are nice, I wanted something more comfortably carried in my jeans front pocket and with a real keyboard. What other choice is there? Even my wife and daughter who switched to the iPhone 4S (which *is* a great phone) and didn't need their phone to be small - I've noticed both of them looking at my Pre 2 kind of longingly.
ALuckyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2012, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

The other nice thing about going the Pre 2 route is that you're not using your Sprint upgrade and likely able to upgrade for less money - depends on the phone you'd switch to of course. However if later you decide you want one of the new phones, you'll have a webOS phone to sell that the faithful will probably still find valuable and still have your Sprint upgrade to use.
ALuckyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0