webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > What are people using to replace their Pre's?
What are people using to replace their Pre's?
Like Tree11Likes

Old 12/30/2012, 04:45 PM   #101 (permalink)

The wife got an entry level samsung running android. Helping her get started with it was torture and I hated it. Her new Nexus7 uses jelly bean and that is much better. I'm still using my 3-year old Pre+ but about to give up and move on. My choice is the Nokia 320 running wp8. I upgraded my win7 PC to win8 just to get used to it and I like the idea of having the same UI across platforms. I was going to hold off until I see the new blackberry10 but it got delayed again. I don't see myself living without wireless charging. I'll have a new Nokia 920 in the next 2 weeks and then I'll be locked for 2 more years. Maybe Open webOS will have some hardware to ride on by then. I'll probably put CM10 on my touchpad eventually and use jelly bean on it. Don't ever plan on buying anything else from HP.
It's been a great ride on webOS but I gotta get off the bus.
pro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2014, 04:16 PM   #102 (permalink)

So, is anyone still using a Prē as a daily driver or even as backup?

Sent From The Pegassus Galaxy With My GS4
Old 03/27/2014, 07:13 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post

Pre3. Still lovin' it. New navit app, AndroidChroot. Second one (bargain buy with cracked screen) as battery loader, three batteries. Two Pre-, one Pre2, one Veer, all in the showcase. Backup, so to speak.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
ZehHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by CAROLOKENNEDY likes this.
Old 03/27/2014, 07:16 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
So, is anyone still using a Pre as a daily driver or even as backup?

Naah. I do have a lot of testing devices, but none really quality as backups except my original Pre-

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2014, 09:26 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:

If a Pre2 counts, then yes. That's my daily! Nothing but Pres and more Pres since 2009!
bbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by CAROLOKENNEDY likes this.
Old 03/28/2014, 12:17 AM   #106 (permalink)

I was using the galaxy nexus (Verizon). And now I'm using the galaxy note 3. But still miss the Palm OS
jteply13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2014, 02:56 AM   #107 (permalink)

Still using both my Pre 3 as my one and only phone - and also the HP TouchPad beside the Surface RT. The Pre 3 had to be replaced after a couple of weeks due to undefinably heat issues that even HPalm wasn't able to fix.

The new one only has a little capillary crack at the case (is this really the correct english word?) due to a drunk night. The only problem I have since that night is that the keyboard-light doesn't always turn on. The little crack keeps growing since that day, but the phone itself still works like on the first day.

If it would break down today I would consider buying a Nokia Lumia 720. Too sad that the Dell Venue Pro did not became as successful as I was hoping. A successor would be great.
HelmutsKohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2014, 07:44 AM   #108 (permalink)

Still using a Veer. Tried Samsung Galaxy but returned to the Veer for many reasons. There are a few posts on the subject.
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2014, 07:59 AM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grankin View Post
Well, now I know what the problem was. HP finally worked their way to the depths of the deepest logs they could get from my device. They saw that the SIM card was sending erroneous information to the OS. This was neatly confirmed by my managing to lose my AT&T SIM card when swapping cards in Panama in late February, for when AT&T sent me a new SIM, the Pre2 worked like a champ. Their theory? That an older SIM card confused the new OS.

The new SIM card, however, was entirely happy with both the old and the new OS, so clearly SIM cards are backwards compatible, but not forward compatible. Who'd'a thunk it?

Except for its inability to add new contacts, or to assign any sort of phone to a contact except a mobile. That, then, was solved by a complete wipe (I've lost count) to get rid of the USB connection software that was installed when getting data from Palm Desktop.

After a bunch of monkey business moving calendar info from Palm to Outlook, then from Outlook via DTA to the device (after first cleaning Outlook of any previous activity), I have been watching over 7,000 calendar events install themselves over the past couple of days. The beast lives again!

Kudos to Cindy Butcher of HP who got this going, and mostly to Shane (level 3 tech @ HP) who spent several hours working with me to accomplish all this.

Yes, I was pretty frustrated with all the shenanigans, but I have still yet to find a phone that has this form factor (I like a smallish phone, but the Sony Xperia Mini is maybe a wee bit too small, and the HTC Wildfire S is a little too slow), and has this nice of an OS. The only app I'd like to have is the Android one that lets you point it at the night sky and it (with the help of GPS and compass) tells you which stars you're looking at.

So I'll stick with HP and the Pre2. The level of technical support has been astonishing. They really do stand behind what they make and sell.
OK. Have thrown in the towel. Sold all Pre phones after too many crashes. Gave a Pre2 to daughter. Bought an iPhone 4S with 64gb of memory on fleabay. The thing Just Works. The apps are numerous & Just Work. Daughter got ticked-off by crashes. Gave her a 4S with a bit less memory.

If anyone wants a Pre2 (a little dinged-up) with Touchstone & cables, gimme a shout.

Pre was a nice device, might even have a superior OS, but as a real-world phone + pocket computer? Apple ate its lunch.
grankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2014, 09:13 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grankin View Post
.....Pre was a nice device, might even have a superior OS, but as a real-world phone + pocket computer? Apple ate its lunch.
Cool that you stuck with your Pre this long. But seriously? "Apple ate it's lunch"? LOL Of course it's going to be a big change for you at this point considering how long ago HP killed off webOS development. It's way outdated hardware running an older OS... not much of a battle anymore. But, after owning a 5s for a while (and now a One), webOS is still a vastly superior operating system.... and if HP hadn't shot it in the head, think of where it would be right now compared to iOS and Android. Such a loss.

However... enjoy the new phone! It will definitely be a nice feeling to have newer hardware and apps. Be sure to check out our sister site, iMore too!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2014, 09:47 AM   #111 (permalink)

The iphone is ok, but I wouldn't trade my pre2 for it. Pre2 has personality. And a mirror
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2014, 10:06 AM   #112 (permalink)

I used an iPhone 5 for about a year, and yeah, the apps are nice, but there are so few I use regularly. I just couldn't stand the new flat UI any longer, and decided if I was going to carry two devices anyway, webOS might as well be on my phone, and I'll just use the iPhone as a PDA and music player.
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Old 03/28/2014, 12:32 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Pre3 as the only device.
Phone, SMS, Mojo Whatsup, calendar and email client.
Google maps and the new version of Navit (just for fun). (thanks to 72ka)
Koto Player and the native player for music.
About 70% of the battery for my normal day.
I love this device, and I'm still waiting for some new terminal with a future version of webOS.
s3rgei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2014, 12:39 PM   #114 (permalink)

I went the Windows phone route about 17 months ago. Its ok but not WebOS. The problem is that I am so vested into Windows now I don't see me coming back even if some very nice company releases a WebOS phone.
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2014, 01:38 PM   #115 (permalink)

On Verizon I used a Pre+ and then a Pre-2 until Nov 2013. I had loads of apps and loved the UI, but it was a bit unstable, relatively slow, the screen is really small, and the slide keyboard was somewhat fragile. I loved the "wave bar", cards, "universal search", and keyboard on the Pre-2, but finally jumped to an LG G2 from VZW for $50. The 5.2" 1080P screen, quad 2.23Gb CPU, and 13mp camera make it a great multi-purpose tool. Like all newer phones it has much better sensors like for GPS, compass, proximity sensor and such, a much better speaker. There's nothing really wrong with Android's "recent apps" list. Some apps continue to run in the background including the Dolphin browser like for audio. And the "vtapQuickSearch" app is a universal search. Also I really like the SwiftKey keyboard since you can "draw" from one letter to the next. I'm faster on SwiftKey than I was on the Pre-2, and the word prediction is fantastic. The large screen is great for reading news, mobile or standard websites, movies, photos and such way beyond the Pre-2. It's light, very thin, and has a 3000mah battery. If LG EVER produces new WebOS hardware though, I'll be in line. I hope they release modern hardware that can dual-boot (or "one on the other") both WebOS and Android.
3snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2014, 02:09 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Pre2 has personality. And a mirror
Couldn't agree more. Love it!
evacaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2014, 07:11 PM   #117 (permalink)

I've switched from the VZ Pre 2 to a VZ Motorola Bionic mainly because the 3g signal (typ. < 500kbs)doesn't penetrate the building where I work and the 4g (typ. 6mbs) does. The Pre still handles all the home bound tasks as a media device, alarm clock, weather, checkbook, grocery list, and general quick web lookups. Its single core OMAP is overclocked to 1.2ghz and combined with the lack of OS load overhead, handily outperforms the dual core OMAP in the Bionic since it was loaded down with the Jelly bean update.The reason for getting such an old 4g phone (Bionic) was to keep my unlimited plan. One of my main problems with the Bionic is that I have completely failed at getting root access. So, there is no way to improve its performance. I really miss the Pre 2 as a daily driver. I am really tempted to just use the Bionic as a hotspot and use the Pre 2 as a Skype phone and forward my Verizon calls there.
Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)
namgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/29/2014, 09:49 PM   #118 (permalink)

Don't you have to pay for phone to skype calls?

Old 03/30/2014, 07:57 AM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Don't you have to pay for phone to skype calls?

yep, $2.99 a month.
Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)
namgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0