webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > What are people using to replace their Pre's?
What are people using to replace their Pre's?
Like Tree11Likes

Old 12/03/2012, 11:23 AM   #81 (permalink)

My two year old Sprint Pre was still humming along, scratches chips and cracks and all. I finally gave it up though... For a Sprint FrankenPre 2! :rockstar: Now I just have to talk work out of booting Palm devices off the Exchange server early next year.

I wish I hadn't waited so long, but I didn't want to take a chance of screwing up either device. I got plenty of practice on some dead Pre's before doing the real thing.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/03/2012, 12:45 PM   #82 (permalink)

Pre2 is a huge improvement over the original Sprint Pre for sure
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 12:12 PM   #83 (permalink)

I got a Motorola Photon 4G on September 2011, and still try to use gestures on the darn thing
I use my "PalmPad" almost every day to satisfy my webOS hunger

The new Windows 8 phones seem pretty good but I haven't use one so I really don't know for a fact, in Android world is best if you get a Nexus GSM device since stupid carriers don't let you update until they say so! Also, even Google owned Motorola (Crapotola) doesn't keep their promise to update phones to newer Android versions, I know for a fact

So, THE HELL with HP and Motorola
Old 12/04/2012, 01:49 PM   #84 (permalink)

I'll throw my two cents in for US GSM Pre2 (which comes unlocked, IIRC) and a prepaid GSM provider as an upgrade from Pre. I did the FrankenPre2 thing for a while but the PRL updates thing makes it a short-term operation. If you're able to get off-contract from Sprint, there's no reason to force the GSM Pre2 to work on CDMA network (Sprint/Verizon). One bonus is the ability to just pop a local SIM card from a visiting country and still have your phone.

Not quite sure what cell phone facilities are available on base, but the US GSM Pre2 has the radios to work 3G on the US bands and 2G/EDGE worldwide, that although slow it is a million% faster than -zero- bits/sec :-)

Personally I used SIMPLE Mobile (MVNO for T-Mobile) and then moved to StraightTalk (MVNO for AT&T) when I realized that the place I hung out at was a dead zone in T-Mobile's network. Meaning to say that there are plenty choices for when in the US.
Old 12/04/2012, 02:28 PM   #85 (permalink)

I went with a Samsung GS2 (Epic 4G Touch) a year and 6 months ago and have not liked it at all. I've had to replace the battery and do a device wipe after the last update to keep it from draining my new 2500mAh battery in less than 8 hours of idle. After the reset I set everything up exactly as I did before and now get a full days use on 1 charge. I also replaced my original Pre's battery when I did the GS2 because I'm planning to use it around the house.

A little before the battery issues started I ran into problems with the Pandora App on the GS2 so I bought a Veer and a pre-paid $2/day T-Mobile sim. I only get Edge with that setup but it's enough to stream the high bit Pandora and greatly reduces my exposure to ads. I only need to spend a few bucks a month for the sim since I actually rarely use Pandora. I rarely listen to music, but when I do I need the music to work.

I also bought a GSM Pre3 which I'm going to make my main phone once my Sprint contract is up. I bought it early because lord knows if I'll be able to buy it "new" in another year. I'll likely try it on T-Mobile and see if they've added the AT&T 3G wireless bands to my area.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the GS2 when I switch to the Pre3. The GS2 gets amazing battery life (especially with the new battery) on WiFi only at home. Maybe a Skype home phone, Plex remote, and other things?
Old 12/04/2012, 03:02 PM   #86 (permalink)

What area are you in? I'm hearing more and more about areas switching over on T-Mo to 3G
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 04:37 PM   #87 (permalink)

I went with the HTC 4G LTE on Sprint and I love it! You get a taste of the cards and it's a really nice phone. No webOS software, but killer hardware on top of a very usable android.
mstrblueskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 10:15 PM   #88 (permalink)

I am switching from my Pre Plus to a Lumia 822 on vzw. just waiting for them to arrive
wingman7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 11:30 PM   #89 (permalink)

I switched from Pre3 on Verizon to the Lumia 822. So far, the mobile WP8 is a fine operating system...glad I made the switch. Finally came to my senses to figure that the WebOs platform is dead. It was a good ride for a while
mhamel523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 07:46 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
What area are you in? I'm hearing more and more about areas switching over on T-Mo to 3G
Around Phoenix AZ. Here's an unofficial coverage map (T-Mobile customers reporting 3G using devices that wouldn't normally get 3G) (warning: ads everywhere):
Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

I originally heard about it via this thread in T-Mobiles forums (Map in first post is the same as above):
Support: T-Mobile 1900MHz HSPA/HSPA+ 3G/4G locations!

[edit1] Map finally loaded for me, It looks like the Phoenix area is pretty much covered!
[edit2] Just bumped my plan to the $3/day 3G plan and didn't see any 3G in my work office. There's also no sightings in my general area on the map so nothing surprising.
[edit3] I have 3G at my house and unreliable 3G where I work. This is in NE Mesa. Coverage seems to cover most of the state highways now. With these T-Mobile updates I'll be able to switch to my Pre3/Veer as soon as my Sprint contract is up.

Last edited by Honis; 03/26/2013 at 02:00 PM.
Honis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 08:48 PM   #91 (permalink)

I upgraded from my Sprint Pre to a Pre 3 in Oct. of 2011, has been a joy to use for over a year now. It is so nice to still have webOS and even though my Pre 3 can't do backflips thru a flaming ring of fire, it is a very functional phone, doing everything that I need from a smartphone. Unless something earth changing comes along in smartphones in the near future, I'll be using my Pre 3 at least for another year or two (still have a brand new Pre 3 sitting on my closet shelf).
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/05/2012, 09:13 PM   #92 (permalink)

I replaced my original Pre with an iPhone 4S about a year ago. Since then I have loaded CyanogenMod on all four of the TouchPads in my household, and bought a couple iPads. WebOS was really nice, but having all the apps for iOS and Android is what I need. My kids use Android on the TouchPads, and I use iOS devices now. My wife was the last holdout in my house using WebOS, and I bought her an iPad Mini a couple weeks ago. I hate to say it, but it's time to move on with life and quit waiting for WebOS to become mainstream.
menomonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 03:24 AM   #93 (permalink)

Before my October '09 UK launch day Pre, I had a Treo 680. Then I got a Pre 2 about a year ago. This week I am in receipt of a GSM Pre 3 and absolutely love it!!
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by vgg likes this.
Old 12/06/2012, 08:04 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomonee View Post
I hate to say it, but it's time to move on with life and quit waiting for WebOS to become mainstream.
I don't know if webOS will ever be "main streeam" or not, but I believe some day that I will again run webOS on hardware. Perhaps a dual booted Android based phone? Maybe within an app run on Android? Some day.

I have moved on for the time being, bought an iPhone 4S about 6 months ago and not really a fan. I bought it because I knew I would be upgrading one of my daughter's lines to a Note variant and am happy to see the Note 2 at Sprint. I ordered one from BestBuy.com because there were no titanium versions in the store ANYWHERE, it will be delivered tomorrow.

I think the Android (Galaxy Note 2) will be the closest operating system and experience to the Pre I still having sitting on my desk and go to from time to time to run on wifi. And I get the additional benefit of the S-Pen, akin to the stylus I had become accustomed before the Pre. I doubt any phone will ever measure up to webOS, not until it is running webOS again!
Old 12/08/2012, 04:02 AM   #95 (permalink)

I bought a Pre3 of Ebay. Love it and glad it will save me from jumping ship to iphone or Android.

WebOS is simply a beautiful system. Stick with it as long as you can.
Moomii is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by vgg likes this.
Old 12/21/2012, 09:36 AM   #96 (permalink)

My wife has just got a Nokia Lumia 920 and I must say it's a very nice phone. We have 4G here in Norway, so at the moment she is ahead of the crowd.
SharkeyHerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 03:09 PM   #97 (permalink)

Yesterday I picked up the Samsung Galaxy S3. It's a nice phone. As I was driving back to my office it downloaded JellyBean (Android 4.1.1) and installed it. This will be a learning curve, but it will do nicely.

Sad to step away from webOS, but please keep things going. Open Source, please keep it up. I wish you great success, partially from selfish reasons!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 03:35 PM   #98 (permalink)

I've never had a Pre, so I'm considering going the opposite direction. Got my Samsung Galaxy S2X, but of course it isn't webOS.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 08:28 PM   #99 (permalink)

Depending on how soon you need a phone BlackBerry 10 is looking very good and from the videos I have watched the gestures system looks like what webos could have been.

We haven't seen WP8 in person yet so that is a possibility. I live an hour away from Microsoft so we'd be supporting the home team.

My wife and I have a photon 4G and have been very disappointed. Motorola build quality and support make me wish I still had my Pre

Btw thanks for your service
formerwebosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2012, 10:53 AM   #100 (permalink)
Banned

I had a Photon 4G for over a year and never had a single problem with it. Your mileage obviously varies. The only reason I replaced it with a Sprint LG Optimus G was because Motorola abandoned a promise to get Android 4.x ICS onto the device; I really liked the worldphone aspect of the Photon, but now it serves as a remote IP webcam in my baby's room.

Haven't regretted that decision to switch one bit. The LG Optimus G--the really close brother of the Nexus 4--has been nothing short of fantastic in performance, build quality, or general aesthetics. There's one-click root and bootloader unlock already available for it, and between upgrades soon to Android 4.1.x from LG and CM10.1 on the way...pure awesome. Haven't owned a better phone in the 14 years I've had a cell phone.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0