webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > What are people using to replace their Pre's?
What are people using to replace their Pre's?
Like Tree11Likes

Old 04/24/2012, 04:47 PM   #61 (permalink)

having come from the epic 4g, nothing quite replaces a webos phone. App selection is better but it always has been. The ICS based phones (sgs III, evo lte, galaxy nexus) are 1000x better than anything from before. If you can get an OG Epic 4g on craigslist for less than $100, cyanogenmod 9 runs really well on it and the nexus s also runs cm9 well and comes with android 4.0 as well
contradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2012, 04:50 PM   #62 (permalink)

I switched to a galaxy nexus.
Lots of cool things to like about it, but I don't enjoy it as much as my Pre.
Old 04/24/2012, 05:14 PM   #63 (permalink)

On 4/20 i got the sprint galaxy nexus. Overall I really like it so far. Its definitely not webos but everything runs smooth and having a decent camera is a nice change. I still need to do the touchstone mod and I'll be good. Hope that a port comes to this phone though.

Only thing that blows is the 10$ premium data charge. Got past it with my frankenpre 2 but no more. We'll see how long it takes to get LTE in denver..
Stevesrjr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2012, 03:17 PM   #64 (permalink)

I've been dealing with my Pre Plus crashing for about 2 months now. I think it's caused by overheating but don't know how to solve the problem. After researching everything on the web on how to solve the issue, I'm ready to buy a new phone. My brother bought a Pre 3 but I can't make myself buy an unsupported older phone at that high of a price.

So, any feedback on these (in order of my preferance): HTC Titan II, HTC One X, Lumia 900, iphone 4S.

Thanks.
banfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2012, 03:57 PM   #65 (permalink)

Just purchased an Samsung galaxy s 3, but the one x is a very nice phone as well. Very quick and going to be well supported by XDA for a long time

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
contradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2012, 05:53 PM   #66 (permalink)

another Pre!

(joking, i really dont know)
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2012, 06:33 PM   #67 (permalink)

I switched to a r2d2 droid 2 which was fine just a little slow, then I got a droid x which was way too big, now I have an iPhone 4s which suits me just fine the camera is awesome! Bought a pre 2 on dailysteals.com so I can't wait to try webOS again!!!
bullonparade85#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2012, 06:48 PM   #68 (permalink)

I finally did make a switch. We were a family of 5 Pre - phones, 2 of the lines upgraded to the iPhone 4. I just upgraded to the iPhone 4s. The plan is that my wife and I will get another chance to upgrade towards the end of the year as we use up the last of our Sprint upgrades that went away last year to upgrade 2 of the kids then swap phones with them, so I will use this iPhone 4s until then, and upgrade one of their lines to one of either the 1) iPhone 5, 2) Galaxy Note II, or 3) Windows Phone 8.

I can tell you that I jailbroke the phone within a week, super easy to do. Doing so let me use unique email signatures per email address, and there is believe it or not, a webOS cards like patch. I can minimize any running app to card view and slide the cards left and right to see other running apps, very nice!
Old 07/09/2012, 11:56 PM   #69 (permalink)

Went back to the AT&T store today and I'm pretty sure I'll buy the Titan II. It just looks more sturdy than the others. Everyone pushes the Lumia because it's the same phone but it looks too square, plastic-y and not as sharp.
banfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2012, 02:55 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contradude View Post
Just purchased an Samsung galaxy s 3, but the one x is a very nice phone as well. Very quick and going to be well supported by XDA for a long time

So how do you like the S3? My radio/antenna died in my Pre- and I am forced to move on... It's a sad day!
acco1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2012, 06:48 AM   #71 (permalink)

My Pre died and I had to buy new. On my old Treo 650 I used Passwords Plus, and I had kept the Treo without SIM card just so that I could go on using this program . Accessed the DataViz site, and discovered that Passwords Plus is now available for the iPhone. So that was that. Updated Passwords Plus by downloading the free Windows version (yes, free!), then synced with the iPhone. Back in business. Only slight glitch was that P+ seems now to requite quite a short master password, so I had to change my master PW. The iPhone is OK. It doesn't do anything I've discovered that my 2-year-old Pre couldn't do, and the screen keyboard is a real pain. But I can now buy apps: I bought my Pre in Norway and only free apps were available (not made clear at purchase, of course). Truth is that it's a relief to have a phone that I can take into the shop I bought it if anything goes wrong. But I do miss the Pre. Business Studies degrees should use Palm / HP as awful warnings - how to have a great product but screw up time and time again.
SharkeyHerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 07:07 PM   #72 (permalink)

went with a Veer...and I love it.
tracks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 07:49 PM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

My Progression:

1. Sprint Pre 1
Great phone, lasted me almost two years. My wife's disintegrated, though, so as users know, your mileage may vary.

2. FrankenPre 2
Ugh. Don't even get my started on this. I know some people here are really all about this FrankenPre 2 thing, but it was nothing but a mess. Calls and text messages that never came through, random reboots, doctoring the device every couple of weeks near the end. And since my wife was pregnant, I couldn't have such an unreliable POS.

3. Motorola Photon 4G
Replaced my (ugh) FrankenPre 2 with this phone. Great, beefy worldphone until Motorola killed it off by making a promise to upgrade it to 4.0 and then...dropping it.

4. LG Optimus G
So I replaced the Photon 4G with the Nexus 4's LTE-packing brother. 100% Pure Awesome, and Consumer Reports #1 Smartphone. Fastest Android smartphone out there with the (maybe) exception of the HTC DNA. This phone is very well built, the speed is blazing, and since I'm now in a Sprint LTE area, downloads are fast as all get out. 32GB storage and a 2100mAh battery right off the bat and I don't need to charge it for a day and a half with moderate use.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 11:14 PM   #74 (permalink)

Moved to an att Pre3 a few months ago from an original Sprint Pre-. Hate ATT service cost so I went with Straighttalk. My only regret is that I didn't switch sooner!

Long live webOS!!!
monday206am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 10:36 AM   #75 (permalink)

Went from a Palm Pre launch day to a Nexus S 4G. Enjoyed the pure Android experience and being able to customize it. The only problem was that it was CDMA and not GSM. Updates weren't as quick but much quicker than "skinned" phones.

I decided against the Galaxy Nexus due to the large screen size (I think 4" is ideal for me), I waited out for either the next Nexus (sad when I found out that LG Nexus 4 was only available to GSM carriers) or possibly the next reboot of iPhone. I'm currently using an iP5. Not sure how long I'll keep it though...
jtexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 11:10 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenkt View Post
I am still using my Sprint Pre that I bought on June 6th, 2009. I deployed to Afghanistan last July and at the time I thought I would come home in the summer of 2012 and get a shiny new HP WebOS phone but obviously that is not going to happen now.

I am currently home for 2 weeks on my R&R and I quickly realized that my phone is woefully under-powered. Kind of frustrating because I'm a big tech geek and have always enjoyed having some of the best phones out there, regardless of public opinion. Yes, I even held on to my Treo 750 when everyone else was jumping to the iPhone because I knew Palm had something great coming soon.

Unfortunately I guess it's time to jump ship and Apple isn't an option (can't stand their closed ecosystem) so that leaves me with Android or Windows 8. Has anyone heard of any good phones that would satisfy a cell phone junkie coming out sometime around July 2012?

Thanks,
Karl
i picked up a Lumia 920 on Thanksgiving when AT&T had a .99 cent special w/charger $49 to be shipped... love the phone so far... Palm pre+ is now an address book & calendar backup device... as well as a guest room novelty alarm clock...
Old 11/27/2012, 04:48 PM   #77 (permalink)

A Treo Pro as one person knows
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 04:54 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contradude View Post

I noticed your avatar is a Tapwave Zodiac. I had 2 of those. That was a cool device...loved it. I still have one that will run, but charger isn't working right anymore.

I'm thinking about either a Samsung Galaxy S3 or Stratosphere 2. What can you say about your S3?

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 03:32 AM   #79 (permalink)

In case anyone else is still using Passwords Plus on a pc + an old Palm handset, there is now a version for both iPhone and Android. I bought an iPhone so as to be able to transfer all my Password Plus records. The Dataviz / Passwords plus website now has no mention of Palm OS, so I guess that there is now no support for the Palm OS version. Nice to have the program on my handset again (there was never a version for Web OS), but I still miss my Pre.
SharkeyHerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 09:45 AM   #80 (permalink)

<<thread moved>>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0