webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > A Quandry
A Quandry
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By copasetic
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By sledge007

Old 02/29/2012, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

I keep reading and hoping for "new devices," but am now kinda stuck. As I prepared myself to place a bid on one of those Pre3's for VeriZon, I got a call to make sure that my newly arrived Pre2 was working well. Close to 45 minutes on the phone with the rep (who is NOT a sales Guru) later, it came down to this:

VeriZon is pushing 4G LTE. Hard. Duh. AT&T are hot on the trail. But the long and short of it is that 3G is old REALLY OLD. 3G takes as much of a load on the system to download at 1.5Mbps as a 4G device at 10Mbps or more. And as I understand, when a 4G device wants space on their network, I am going to get pushed to the back of the line while they get priority. The nitty gritty of this can be debated, but my unlimited plan is NOT being throttled back because of my own usage. It's simply older technology, at least 5 years old, and in a "new" phone. I can understand the reasons for this, and it makes sense. The issue is that there isn't currently a 4G LTE WebOS device I can replace it with. Progress is progress, and I can deal with it or move on to something faster, and be "assimilated," or simply deal with the lag in busy areas as I am. The sales rep understands my affinity for WebOS, but that just isn't part of the discussion any more.
** The funny part is that all the iPhone users currently face the same issue in high usage areas (until fall). Their iPhone is OLD (for now) hahaha ** We did some impromptu tests at work during busy times, and sure enough, LTE devices are getting favored status. And why not? It's about the dosh and the contracts. And there really isn't much reason to service the older devices any more. The same happened when they old 2G gave way to 3G, when the equipment on the towers broke, it was NOT being replaced, but upgraded with 3G. I was actually surprised when I saw '1X' show up on a visit to the mountains for a camping trip!
I keep reading posts about new devices, but even the Pre3 is a 3G kit, and while it's 'newer' and 'faster' and as we have heard ad nauseum, "the OS is NOT the issue, but the hardware." If a device is to survive it's GOING to have to support the current data iteration. Period. I fear Nokia is about to learn this too, the hard way.

I've been a diehard, but even my old Antique Chevy isn't what I drive to the office every day. I do live in a high traffic metro area, and it's not a HUGE issue at the moment, but I can tell it's not going to get any better.

This hurts.

Help please. (and no, I will NOT get an iOS device).
copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by GreenHex likes this.
Old 02/29/2012, 06:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
cgk

I thought that the lumia 900 was an LTE device?

Leaving that aside, nobody is currently scheduled to produce any sort of Webos device, so your options are android, WP7 or waiting to see what the next generation of blackberry OS is like when it arrives later in the year.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2012, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
I thought that the lumia 900 was an LTE device?

Leaving that aside, nobody is currently scheduled to produce any sort of Webos device, so your options are android, WP7 or waiting to see what the next generation of blackberry OS is like when it arrives later in the year.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
Yes, well sorta. The "official"-ness of the 900 seems all over the map, and it would be Microsoft's *first* gen LTE device, I'm not so sure. And I think Nokia just released a 4G phone running SYMBIAN of all things, eek!
Old 02/29/2012, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
Yes, well sorta. The "official"-ness of the 900 seems all over the map, and it would be Microsoft's *first* gen LTE device, I'm not so sure. And I think Nokia just released a 4G phone running SYMBIAN of all things, eek!
That is to say on VZW...
Old 02/29/2012, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

wow. You are under exact same boat as me. I am a palm and webOS die hard fan. I love my pre2. But random reboots daily and with having 2 little kids at home where I can't get good snapshots of them is killing me. I carry an ipod touch with me at all times, along with my hp touchpad...and have access to a samsung fascinate that my wife left aside after she upgraded to the iphone...so I've played and used them all- I am tied to verizon for financial and family reasons. Besides I still have "unlimited data". I have looked long and hard at verizon pre3's on ebay but can't justify spending 500 on it...no matter how much of a phannboy I am.....long story short....I just purchased a samsung stratosphere new on ebay for 200...I will get 4G...I do have an upgrade next month but can never justify using an upgrade with a 2 yr contract on an android device because of such a rapid turnover of their devices. I will probably use my upgrade for when the iphone5 comes out IF it has a bigger screen and lte, or a newer windows phone device if microsoft's market share increases...may even consider a blackberry 10 device if it comes with a vertical querty keyboard...

however after going thru the long battle we have gone thru with webOS, I don't know if I have the energy to support another underdog.

to be honest I don't even know if I will activate the stratosphere...there's some issue on verizon about switching back and forth btwn 3G and 4G devices...you can't do it without de-activating the sim on the 4G requiring another 4G card...but the fact I finally pulled the trigger on ebay represents my inching of my foot out the door of webOS land...maybe...sorta...I don't want to...love the touchstone, love the snap closing of the slider, love the soft touch feel of the back and the palm logo, love my modded extended mugen battery with extra strong magnets to be touchstone compatible, love the gummy vertical querty keyboard, love the gestures and synergy and multitasking, love tinkering with my phone via preware, love freetether...

geez, this is gonna be so so so hard.
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2012, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
wow. You are under exact same boat as me. I am a palm and webOS die hard fan. I love my pre2. But random reboots daily and with having 2 little kids at home where I can't get good snapshots of them is killing me. I carry an ipod touch with me at all times, along with my hp touchpad...and have access to a samsung fascinate that my wife left aside after she upgraded to the iphone...so I've played and used them all- I am tied to verizon for financial and family reasons. Besides I still have "unlimited data". I have looked long and hard at verizon pre3's on ebay but can't justify spending 500 on it...no matter how much of a phannboy I am.....long story short....I just purchased a samsung stratosphere new on ebay for 200...I will get 4G...I do have an upgrade next month but can never justify using an upgrade with a 2 yr contract on an android device because of such a rapid turnover of their devices. I will probably use my upgrade for when the iphone5 comes out IF it has a bigger screen and lte, or a newer windows phone device if microsoft's market share increases...may even consider a blackberry 10 device if it comes with a vertical querty keyboard...

however after going thru the long battle we have gone thru with webOS, I don't know if I have the energy to support another underdog.

to be honest I don't even know if I will activate the stratosphere...there's some issue on verizon about switching back and forth btwn 3G and 4G devices...you can't do it without de-activating the sim on the 4G requiring another 4G card...but the fact I finally pulled the trigger on ebay represents my inching of my foot out the door of webOS land...maybe...sorta...I don't want to...love the touchstone, love the snap closing of the slider, love the soft touch feel of the back and the palm logo, love my modded extended mugen battery with extra strong magnets to be touchstone compatible, love the gummy vertical querty keyboard, love the gestures and synergy and multitasking, love tinkering with my phone via preware, love freetether...

geez, this is gonna be so so so hard.
I talked to another rep tonight, he says 3G devices don't compete with LTE for space because of different technology (This is correct), unless the LTE device fallsback to 3G, in which case it still gets priority (why?). No matter, 3G's days are still numbered...this isn't about the stuck camera or the borked sound or the $#:!%-ing phone going catatonic for minutes at a time. And they had extra $100 off today the 29th.

Last edited by copasetic; 02/29/2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11/17/2012, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would never go back to a 3G device after using LTE. It's painfully slow, regardless of what hardware you're using. If you don't know the difference, then 3G is fine, but as soon as you start using LTE, you'll never want to go back. Maybe some people are fine with going back and forth, but I will never use 3G on purpose.
Old 11/17/2012, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

After two months with my Galaxy SIII, the lack of "synergy" is a moot point. Everybody has it. What am I missing here? Everything from everywhere syncs to my contacts list, email, Facebook, phone numbers, photos, everything. I don't miss it, because I still have it..
Old 11/17/2012, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Synergy was more of an idea that never really came to life. It was a plugin system with no plugins.

I am in the exact same phone boat as MDSmartPhone - carry a Pre 2 on VZW and wife has a mostly-working Pixi Plus she just returned to after her old POS Fascinate screen took a dive. Having some phone anxiety about when these phones need to be replaced. One of our plans has been month to month after our 2 year agreement came up and the other plan is coming up in a few months... Whole family mostly use Verizon... does that even matter anymore? lol

If a webOS phone came out on a different carrier? I don't think I'd have any anxiety about leaving Verizon... it might be what makes me go GSM again after like 10 years of being away.

My last GSM phone was a T39...

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
I talked to another rep tonight, he says 3G devices don't compete with LTE for space because of different technology (This is correct), unless the LTE device fallsback to 3G, in which case it still gets priority (why?). No matter, 3G's days are still numbered...this isn't about the stuck camera or the borked sound or the $#:!%-ing phone going catatonic for minutes at a time. And they had extra $100 off today the 29th.
Why? Because of the difference in speed of LTE and EVDO (VZW 3G).

The LTE guys get priority so that they won't feel a massive slowdown during the 3G fallback in a busy area. If they were kicked down to the end of the line on a busy day and they were the ones being throttled (and not us), they could experience a 10x slowdown in download speed, and that's not funny... but keeping the slowdown to 3x won't make Verizon look as bad since they are still rolling out the new technology and the customer will still remember that... ...nevermind the fact that LTE customers are getting a much better service for the same amount of money... the politics of marketing still win

But what do you mean about 3G being obsolete? EVDO will live to see another day. It's still the CDMA voice standard, while LTE is still only used for data. It's one thing to put up the LTE transponders, but getting to the point where LTE handles all voice traffic requires more work on the part of standards bodies, phone manufacturers and Verizon themselves. They'll still fix and replace all the broken 3G equipment for the next 4 years if not more, until every last phone being sold is using LTE for voice and there is no more fallback to 3G for data
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Synergy was more of an idea that never really came to life. It was a plugin system with no plugins.

I am in the exact same phone boat as MDSmartPhone - carry a Pre 2 on VZW and wife has a mostly-working Pixi Plus she just returned to after her old POS Fascinate screen took a dive. Having some phone anxiety about when these phones need to be replaced. One of our plans has been month to month after our 2 year agreement came up and the other plan is coming up in a few months... Whole family mostly use Verizon... does that even matter anymore? lol

If a webOS phone came out on a different carrier? I don't think I'd have any anxiety about leaving Verizon... it might be what makes me go GSM again after like 10 years of being away.

My last GSM phone was a T39...
HAHAHA I did the same thing CDMA for about a decade and jumped to GSM

@ the OP, regardless of what happens with open webOS it won't be coming to VZW so don't make that part of your decision making process unless you are willing to leave VZW for Open webOS.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Unfortunately for me, carrying a webOS phone much longer is going to mean a return to those same archaic days of carrying a separate phone and PDA. They are planning on booting all Palm devices from the Exchange server at work after the first of the year. Unless of course Impostah could let me masquerade as an iPhone.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

<<thread moved and cleansed - some posts moved HERE>>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0