webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Nokia N9 vs. Pre 3...
Nokia N9 vs. Pre 3...
Like Tree4Likes

Old 10/23/2011, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,

I know everyone here (and myself as a Pre 3 owner) loves physical keyboards / portrait sliders...looking at future products (aside from Blackberry QNX coming on a portrait slider) I am staring to accept that I may have to eventually move to a touchscreen phone...

...does anyone here have a Nokia N9 or tried one out and can give a comparative perspective?

Thinking of picking one up, have read the reviews but was hoping someone could give me a perspective coming from WebOS.

Thanks in Advance.
B-E-A-S-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 10/23/2011, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting question. The N9 would be the phone I would also want next to a Pre3, except for the fact that I'm in the U.S. and can't get one for anywhere near a decent price. Unsubsidised and imported, they aren't cheap. A very nice phone. Also too bad they won't sell the N950 to the general public.
LurkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2011, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have both. In fact, got the N9 just a week back and the Pre 3 just yesterday. Loved the N9 but the problem is that it will be the one and only Meego device that Nokia will make which will sort of put it in the same position as WebOS for developers- to develop or not to develop.

Such a shame as both of these OSes could have had such a bright future
ajaffarali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2011, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

N9. its a cellphone marvel. Im really inlove this a phone. I ish webos could be put on hardware like that. After the n9 reviews I see nokia in my future or the n9. too bad im in the U.S.
giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2011, 01:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

n9 is a beautiful piece of kit. I'd love to have the n9 internals and body with a stable version of weos. but I think what I really want now is an n9 with icecream sandwich.
kingka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2011, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaffarali View Post
I have both. In fact, got the N9 just a week back and the Pre 3 just yesterday. Loved the N9 but the problem is that it will be the one and only Meego device that Nokia will make which will sort of put it in the same position as WebOS for developers- to develop or not to develop.

Such a shame as both of these OSes could have had such a bright future
I would love to hear a comparison of the two. Is the Pre 3 a good poor-man's alternative to the N9? Is the worth 3 times the cost of the Pre 3?
kingstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2011, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes that is what I am looking for, an honest comparative evaluation...anyone?
B-E-A-S-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 03:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

The N9 looks amazing and looks to have great build quality.

Pre 3 has webOS and a portrait keyboard.

They are both dead. Done. Finished. Dropped. Effed..

On the bright side for N9 loves, the same kinda model is packing WP7 and sold has the Nokia 800. If you want to buy it for the looks, get that one. At least it has support.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
djind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 05:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
cgk

Yep - the Nokia 800 popped up this morning at Nokia world - certainly a nice looking device.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 06:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

The Nokia N9/800 is certainly a very nice looking phone. I think when my Pre 3 is ready for the graveyard, I will be going with a Windows Phone next. Although I hate Windows, the mobile operating system is rather nice...
Old 10/26/2011, 06:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
Hi,

I know everyone here (and myself as a Pre 3 owner) loves physical keyboards / portrait sliders
Nothing could be further from the truth.

I HATE with a passion portrait sliders and have never liked them. Never. I liked webos and tolerated the form factor. Nor do i currently "love" a physical keyboard. I liked them two and a half years ago. Now? Not at all.

As for Nokia in general. Well i don't think i've seen one in a store in at least 5 years. I'd have to see them in person but the blue ones i've seen look ugly. But i don't know in the states Nokia are not big anymore so i don't see accessories or support. So Nokia phones will not be an option for me. Oh and if it's windows 8 no dice as i really don't dig metro that much.

Last edited by SnotBoogie; 10/26/2011 at 06:27 AM.
SnotBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaffarali View Post
Loved the N9 but the problem is that it will be the one and only Meego device that Nokia will make which will sort of put it in the same position as WebOS for developers- to develop or not to develop.
Both devices are quite in the same situation. N9 looks a little bit better, because Nokia still exists and doing phones while Palm dissapeared and HP...
Regards,
Krecony
krecony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 04:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

I would like to see how the Accounts in the N9 compare to Synergy in Pre 3. I really wish the Pre 3 was pentaband so I could choose T-Mobile or AT&T and still get high speed data.
kingstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just look up the lumia 800 from today, finally a good looking Windows phone.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
gtkansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2011, 06:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
Just look up the lumia 800 from today, finally a good looking Windows phone.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Some of the first generation WP7 phones were nice enough. Samsung Focus (a bit plasticy), HTC HD7, and LG Optimus 7 were all pretty nice. They all will pale in comparison to the Lumia in terms of build quality though. Very interesting.

Palm lineage:
PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2012, 08:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

thread resurrection...
I recently bought a Nokia N9. Call me crazy but I love niche and orphaned technologies I guess.
it's a great piece of hardware and MeeGo is slick as well...BUT it's definitely not as smooth or intuitive as webOS on my pre 3.

Why can't anyone get "swipe to delete emails" in another phone? This whole "hold, wait for menu, select delete" thing is stupid.

The on-screen keyboard is okay and swype is nice, but neither is suited to thumb typing while walking through and airport with a carry-on in tow.

Also, there simply is no other phone that sync's with your life as easily or transparently as webOS. MeeGo is better than most, but still behind.

Anyway, perhaps I should write-up a side-by-side comparison. I really like the N9 and will use it for a while, but I see my pre3 bumping it back into a drawer before too long...

webOS on N9 hardware would be slick...
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2012, 10:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mize View Post
thread resurrection...

Why can't anyone get "swipe to delete emails" in another phone? This whole "hold, wait for menu, select delete" thing is stupid.
The long press needs to be eradicated from standard phone operation, period. I think there are places for its use like for moving icons or deleting apps. But in general operation, it needs to die.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2012, 10:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

<thread moved>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2012, 11:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

It is rare that I get to say this: the app situation for webOS is leaps and bounds better then Meego's. There is an active community for webOS, while the N9 has a tiny one.

But the hardware is just so so nice. Nokia should have bought Palm.
njitipairote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by brendu likes this.
Old 04/24/2012, 11:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njitipairote View Post
It is rare that I get to say this: the app situation for webOS is leaps and bounds better then Meego's. There is an active community for webOS, while the N9 has a tiny one.

But the hardware is just so so nice. Nokia should have bought Palm.
In general, yes, preware/webosinternals makes webOS a much more robust community (everyone go donate)...although there is a decent MeeGo community out there and quite a few apps even if far fewer than webOS. In comparing to the Pre3, however, one needs to remember that a lot of apps never were nor will be updated for the Pre3
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0