webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Nokia N9 vs. Pre 3...
Nokia N9 vs. Pre 3...
Like Tree4Likes

Old 04/28/2012, 05:16 AM   #21 (permalink)

I have a Pre 3 and a N9.
The N9 hardware is very nice, a beautiful phone, except the volume and the power keys, they feel cheap and wiggly. Nokia includes a rubber case, which is very nice. Compared to the Pre 3, the N9 has NFC and a FM receiver (transmitter is in the chip, but there's no antenna, so currently no way to use it). Pre 3 of course has a hardware keyboard.

The best thing about Meego Harmattan is the Swipe UX. I am a huge fan of gesture based UIs and the N9 has zero buttons on the front, not even a gesture area

If you're a heavy Facebook or Twitter user, you will like the Newsfeed screen. RSS feeds and calendar entries (with a 3rd party app) can also be incorporated into the Newsfeed.

Meego Harmattan has a system wide Accounts app and additional accounts, for example ICQ, can be added easily (there's an app in the Ovi/Nokia store or with N9QTweak), unlike webOS' Synergy which unfortunately has virtually zero plugins. Available accounts include CalDAV, Mail for Exchange, Google (including Picasa and YouTube), DropBox, Facebook, Twitter, Skype and Flickr.
Harmattan pulls contact information from these accounts (where applicable) and combines the information for your contacts (of course you can (un-)combine contacts manually too).
Unlike webOS, Harmattan does not combine messages with a contact over different IM systems into one conversation, i.e. in the Messaging app, I have seperate Skype, ICQ, GTalk sessions, all with the same contact.

We all already know that, but notifications are far superior in webOS New notifications are shown as an icon in the status bar, but you can't do anything from there. They are also shown in the Newsfeed. If you tap on one the corresponding app opens. You can't remove individual notifications (there's just a remove button for all), let alone swipe them away, which is disappointing for an OS that heavily emphasizes gestures. One of my favorite webOS patches is the 'delete email from notification' patch. You can't do that in Harmattan, so I have to swipe to the Newsfeed, tap on the notification, wait for the Mail app to open, then tap the delete button and close the Mail app (or just leave it open). Notifications are also shown on the lockscreen, from there you can swipe the notification and the app opens. Only thing that's better regarding notifications in Harmattan is that pending notifications are not 'in the way' on the bottom of the screen. On the other hand you can access the notifications from everywhere on webOS.

Besides the lockscreen, there's also a standby screen which permanently shows the clock (and additional information, with, for example, lpsmagic) and non-interactive icons for notifications. I don't know if I like it, for my taste it's too bright when it sits on my bedside table at night. The clock also moves around and I have the need to look at my N9 whenever I see something happen on the screen from the corner of my eye. Kinda disconcerting. The standby screen can be turned off completely.

As someone said before, even in the Mail app you can't swipe to delete mails. Tap and hold to open a menu. Feels inconvenient, especially compared to webOS. Tap and hold to open menu is in a lot of places.

I never liked the webOS browser. The N9 has, additionaly to the standard browser, Firefox and Opera. I like Opera, it's very fast and, unlike webOS' browser, it reformats textblocks so that you can read without scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. Flash is also available, but only for Firefox. I haven't used it very much, but it kinda works if the Flash content is not too demanding.

The app situation is comparable to webOS. Harmattan is already pronounced dead by Nokia, so it's unlikely that it will ever have a huge developer following. Anyway, there are quite a few apps in the official store and there are 3rd party app catalogs, like apps.formeego.org, n9-apps.com and my-meego.com. The community at talk.maemo.org is also very active, but the webOS community, especially homebrew, has a much better infrastructure and is organized better. Thanks to webOS Internals. Don't get me wrong, the Maemo/Meego community is great in its own right, but for example there's nothing like Preware (yet) or at least community maintained repositories (like for the N900) for homebrew. But I think it's only a matter of time until the N9 gets something like FapMan (a Maemo package manager) and proper centralized repositories for homebrew apps and patches.
Some apps worth mentioning are gNewsReader (a proper Google Reader client), QuasarMX and SigmaPlayer (great audio player apps), SportsTracker, AGTL (geocaching), CloudGPS, QmlReddit, NFCinteractor, MeeScan (QR code scanner). There are a lot more, have a look through the links above. Nokia also provides free maps and navigation. I don't use it, but I heard good things.

I see a problem that I want to call 'OS fragmentation'. Harmattan only has the N9/950 (and btw it's not even proper Meego, more like Maemo + X). There's the 'official' Meego. It is too early to say anything about where Tizen is going. There's Mer and Nemo. Symbian is still huge (I mention it because of QT apps). Fremantle is still alive, too. My point is that some apps that work on one platform may or may not or only partly work on another platform. And the UIs are not really unified. Harmattan has developer and UI guidelines and is still supported and updated by Nokia, but after that? And what when Tizen is ready, will it even support QT?
This actually is not a problem at all, just idle thoughts and something that, to be honest, bothers me a little bit. There are forks and ports and whatnot left and right, it's a little confusing, especially for devs. Anyway, the N9 is current and supported, has apps, great SDK and APIs and works fine right now.

The virtual keyboard is very good, I like the feature that you can swipe on the keyboard to change to another language, which is very useful for me, because I sometimes write in English and sometimes in German. It also has a nice click-sound and haptic feedback, both discreet enough that I enjoy it, where I was annoyed by it on other platforms. Swype is also available and works fine.

I want to add that Harmattan has not yet Skype video calls, only chat and voice calls. GTalk video calls can be enabled.

What I like about Pre 3 / webOS and what's missing in Harmattan:
Just Type, it's just so very convenient. N9 has a Search app, but it's very, very basic compared to JT.
Exhibition Mode. The N9 standby screen is poor compared to Exhibition mode.
Superior notifications. Combined conversations from different IMs. Cards metaphor works really well. Best of both worlds would be great. No gesture area, just swipe from the very bottom up to open cards view.

Of course there is no need for rooting or jailbreaking, just enable dev mode and you have a terminal (BusyBox by default) and root access. There's the AEGIS security system, which has already been 'cracked' with Inception.

There also already is NITdroid, an Android port, currently ICS 4.0.4, which is very promising. I think there will be a completely usable version released someday.

My big, big hope is that one day I can install Open webOS on my N9. I really like Harmattan, but webOS is far more mature. But Harmattan is still young, and a lot of features will still be added, either by Nokia or by the community. Hopefully more gestures, like swipe individual notifications away, or swipe to delete mails, conversations, etc.

Excuse this wall of text and have a nice day! And if you have any questions, ask away
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2012, 08:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

dont' forget that MeeGo has no tapatalk client

But then again, N9 has a good, working navigation system...wish I could fuse webOS to my N9 but keep the N9's navigation since ndrive sucks.
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2012, 09:12 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mize View Post
In general, yes, preware/webosinternals makes webOS a much more robust community (everyone go donate)...although there is a decent MeeGo community out there and quite a few apps even if far fewer than webOS. In comparing to the Pre3, however, one needs to remember that a lot of apps never were nor will be updated for the Pre3
For most apps, only a line of code is needed to be pasted into the index.html to make the app fullscreen. As long as the apps function, it is not that bad.
njitipairote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2012, 11:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njitipairote View Post
For most apps, only a line of code is needed to be pasted into the index.html to make the app fullscreen. As long as the apps function, it is not that bad.
I remember reading that...can you link to it if handy? Would love to get Trapster working...NVM found it and it doesn't fix Trapster. Oh well.
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0

Last edited by Mize; 04/28/2012 at 11:47 AM.
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2012, 12:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

I moved to the N9 from a Pre2.. Still have it actually.

The things I miss from the Pre2 are
- HW keyboard
- Just Type
- Combined Messages

where the N9 clearly shines over the Pre2
- Display (size and quality)
- Location based services (navigation)
- Onscreen keyboard
UnlimiteD3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2012, 08:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

I have an N9 and love it. There are things I also miss from the Pre2 I had (almost all have been mentioned above), but I think the N9 hardware-wise is a much nicer bit of kit. I have no problems with Swipe in Meego. As for the swiping to delete emails, I could see how that can be a problem in Meego, because if you get your swipe wrong, it clears away the app and goes back to the homescreen. This method is built in to switching between emails, and its frustrating. I'm glad they didn't put it in, to be honest. Too many different types of swipes might end up being frustrating for the average user (moot point now, I guess lol). The N9's initial advertising was aimed squarely at keeping things simple.

As for developers, don't forget that the N9 does have one ace up its sleeve - Qt. There are still millions of Symbian phones out in the wild that use Qt as its development platform, and not too many changes are needed to get the apps to run in Meego (even better if they are written in QT Quick). Will be interesting to see what apps will come out with QT5 due sometime this year
lavo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 05:48 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavo96 View Post
I have an N9 and love it. There are things I also miss from the Pre2 I had (almost all have been mentioned above), but I think the N9 hardware-wise is a much nicer bit of kit. I have no problems with Swipe in Meego. As for the swiping to delete emails, I could see how that can be a problem in Meego, because if you get your swipe wrong, it clears away the app and goes back to the homescreen. This method is built in to switching between emails, and its frustrating. I'm glad they didn't put it in, to be honest. Too many different types of swipes might end up being frustrating for the average user (moot point now, I guess lol). The N9's initial advertising was aimed squarely at keeping things simple.

As for developers, don't forget that the N9 does have one ace up its sleeve - Qt. There are still millions of Symbian phones out in the wild that use Qt as its development platform, and not too many changes are needed to get the apps to run in Meego (even better if they are written in QT Quick). Will be interesting to see what apps will come out with QT5 due sometime this year
I agree, though devs still have to repackage their apps, and as I mentioned before since QT is on so many different devices, there's no unified UI, but that's kinda negligible, as long as the apps are coming

I too sometimes accidentally swipe an app into the background, one has to get used to it. Still, tap+hold feels archaic compared to webOS' swipes.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 01:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Ive been going back and forth over which phone to get, but at this point id like to even if its even worth it since neither phone has big app support. I love the look of the n9 and it looks refreshing with its swype gestures. However a big turn off is the static grid of icons. I currently own a wp7 dvp and really like it but would like to try something different. Im also interested in the Pre 3 as i use to own a pre on sprint. i know its been covered on here already about the pros an cons of each phone, but id like to know what the app situation is for both phones, i mainly use fb, kik, crackle, fox news, pandora, basically the usual popular apps. Can someone shed light on the situation and advise which phone to buy? they cost around the same price so im not sure which would be the better choice.
bobbysworldrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2013, 03:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Bringing this thread back to life as I now have a N9 and it costs less than Pre3 now.

After a few weeks with the N9 I have found some things that I noticed about it compared to the Pre3. As much as I don't like the microSIM choice it is the wave of the future for most smartphones. (I hope the nanoSIM just dies). Having used Nokia Symbian phones for years before moving to Pre phones it was really nice to get offline Navigation back. It works well without a data connection and the camera is also very nice.

I really miss the wireless charging that the Pre 3 has because having a non-removable battery makes the USB charger port a critical path which has been an issue on many Nokia phones. The camera quality on the N9 is superior to the Pre 3 but the lack of a dedicated shutter button requires an app to use an external key for that.

There FM radio and NFC are also really nice features. I got the Nokia Play 360 speakers and Luna headset and although they work with Bluetooth they are so much more elegant with NFC. Pentaband 3G is also another benefit for T-Mobile users though with the refarming of it's 3G frequencies it is less of an issue for me.

There is a lot of customization available for the N9 like the Pre 3. I have found that the Low Power Mode screen is really useful for displaying information that is relevant or I want to be always visible. I don't play many games or use a lot of apps, mostly utilities so both devices meet my needs.

I think the N9 is an upgrade from the Pre 3 due to the hardware enhancements but it is a small step up. I'm glad I got it.
kingstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mattmers and RumoredNow like this.
Old 10/26/2013, 11:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

The N9 got lots of respect when it launched... Glad you are enjoying it.

Since Nokia is dropping support for MeeGo (and Symbian) at the end of 2013, are you looking into Sailfish? I've not seen/heard too much about MeeGo or Sailfish from enthusiasts - just the press stuff. I'd love to hear more.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2013, 12:37 PM   #31 (permalink)

I am eagerly awaiting the Jolla phone. It seems to be a logical successor to both the Pre 3 and the N9. Hardware wise the microSD card support, removable battery and the hardware customizable Other Half is a great benefit. Software wise being able to run Android apps unaltered is another great benefit. If they make a hardware keyboard or a wireless charging Other Half it will definitely be able to meet all my personal requirements.
kingstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0