webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Which verizon smartphone should I get? (my 1st smartphone)
Which verizon smartphone should I get? (my 1st smartphone)
Like Tree4Likes

Old 10/10/2011, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
First smartphone??? then get an iphone 4 or 4S. I would recommend 4S as it is more future proof. After 2 years you should still be able to sell it at cost.
I agreed. Me and my wife will be able to upgrade our iPhone 4 end of this year. I am getting Nexus Prime, and I recommended my wife to get iPhone 4S. She doesn't like to work on her phone. She is expecting when the device is powered up first time, it should work as it should be. Android, has so much more potential but you have to work on it for a little bit more than iOS. So first time smart phone user, I also recommend iPhone. Plus, new iPhone 4S should have the best camera builtin. I have Nikon D7000, but I think I take a picture on my iPhone way more than my dslr. If the phone can take really good picture, for me, it's real plus, that's one other reason my I am going to make my wife to get iPhone 4S, hehe.
StuckwVerizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 05:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey, so I'm getting my first smartphone (not counting a work blackbarry i used to have).

I am on Verizon, and will probably buy from them since they give a pretty good discount.

I am considering how good the thing is as a phone, how reliable it is etc. as well as how well it will play with my touchpad. also i prefer thinner phones (width wise, not depth, don't care about thickness) that fit in my pocket (i don't have a murse, lol). hate how wide most of them are.

the pre2 would have been my choice if verizon didn't just bump the price up by 200% (from $50 to $150) though it's not completely off the table.

as far as computer features, i just want it to have a good browser that will let me do everything I do on a regular computer, and I want it to use the least data possible (do some smartphones use more data than others when in standby mode?) because i will probably only afford the 2gb data plan (ridiculous!).

thank you
mistermojorizin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 05:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

get the Pre2.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
get the Pre2.
that was quick! maybe when they drop it back to $50...how is the reliability and call quality on those? so far the TP hasn't been too confidence inspiring
Old 10/10/2011, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

iphone 4s
donm527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Get anything with at least a 4 inch screen. Was using an iphone for 3 years and just switched to SGS2 and could never go back.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
bxborn31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
Hey, so I'm getting my first smartphone (not counting a work blackbarry i used to have).

I am on Verizon, and will probably buy from them since they give a pretty good discount.

I am considering how good the thing is as a phone, how reliable it is etc. as well as how well it will play with my touchpad. also i prefer thinner phones (width wise, not depth, don't care about thickness) that fit in my pocket (i don't have a murse, lol). hate how wide most of them are.

the pre2 would have been my choice if verizon didn't just bump the price up by 200% (from $50 to $150) though it's not completely off the table.

as far as computer features, i just want it to have a good browser that will let me do everything I do on a regular computer, and I want it to use the least data possible (do some smartphones use more data than others when in standby mode?) because i will probably only afford the 2gb data plan (ridiculous!).

thank you
Buy a used Pre Plus and try it out. The only investment is the cost of the phone. If you don't want to have a contract for this test - check out PagePlus they resell prepaid time on Verizon's network. You will have very limited data but you can use Wifi to test what you want and find out the call quality of the unit. The Pre2 is nicer overall but the Pre Plus is far more easily found used.

I have both an iPhone 4 and a Pre Plus; there are good and bad points to both. I find myself longing for my Pre's user interface while using my iPhone - but I conversely find myself longing for a better selection of applications and more polish when I am using the Pre.

NOTE: The Pre Plus does NOT have flash unless you use MetaDoctor to upgrade it to 2.x versions of webOS. Even with the upgrade performance can be a challenge. If you really need a full fledged browser - you might be better off with Android - but even then mobile browsers fall short in a few ways - not the least of which is licensing. Some sites like hulu do not license their content in a way that permits mobile devices - so they block mobile browsers from accessing that content. Generally there are work arounds but this is something to keep in mind.
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
that was quick! maybe when they drop it back to $50...how is the reliability and call quality on those? so far the TP hasn't been too confidence inspiring
i have been really happy with my pre2. Call quality, signal strength, keyboard, all get high marks from me. I wouldn't burn an upgrade for it, id get an iphone and sell it for enough to buy 2 pre2's from ebay.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

wait for Samsung Nexus Prime or just get iPhone 4s, very simple.
Liked by slbailey1 likes this.
Thanked By: mistermojorizin
Old 10/10/2011, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
wait for Samsung Nexus Prime or just get iPhone 4s, very simple.
This.
Don't waste your upgrade discount on a pre2. It's the next 2 years of your life.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by slbailey1, donm527 and passlogix like this.
Old 10/10/2011, 09:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

First smartphone??? then get an iphone 4 or 4S. I would recommend 4S as it is more future proof. After 2 years you should still be able to sell it at cost.
Sapient2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
i have been really happy with my pre2. Call quality, signal strength, keyboard, all get high marks from me. I wouldn't burn an upgrade for it, id get an iphone and sell it for enough to buy 2 pre2's from ebay.
so the iphone seems like the best value, it's $200 for a 4s 16gb, but the thing has a smaller screen and doesn't do flash, and i would want to jailbreak it which would void warranty. on the upside it is relatively narrow.

which droid phone would you guys recommend? I looked at the droid bionic and it was the only phone where I could see the pixels in the screen. it was like looking at 720p up close in comparison to every other phone looking like 1080p

edit: yes this is my 1st smartphone but I am pretty good with computers...hmm what do you guys think of the windows 7.5 phones?
Old 10/10/2011, 01:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think Flash is really over rated on smartphone. I decided to get the android is not about the flash, I will probably disable annoying flash on the website anyway. I am getting the android is purely for the size, I think current iphone is little too small for me.
You should go to the Verizon store and play with it. But since you are going to sign up for 2 years, you should try to get the best phone possible. That's why I am recommending the Nexus Prime or iPhone 4S. As much as I like WP7 but their hardware is far behind. Maybe you should consider WP on your next upgrade.
Old 10/10/2011, 01:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolsworth View Post
I cannot believe that the Pre is still being recommended by anyone. The phone is unsupported and it still cannot do basic tasks like edit documents.
I wouldn't except for the user's interest in a Pre2 and the concern about costs expressed. I would stick to current shipping supported phones for any user without a bias for the Pre to begin with. For those interested in cheap smartphone - a used Pre is a great way to test the water - cheap and functional.

As for document editing being a "basic" feature - I don't see that as a requirement but to each his own.
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

thanks everyone for replying, i think I'll wait for the samsung nexus

i don't understand the hype about the iphone. it doesn't have flash or multitasking so I won't be able to do certain things with it that I want to do and jailbreaking voids warranty. it does seem more reliable though.

but this is weird: i started this thread right, so why is there appear to be a post before mine, quoting a post that was a reply to mine?
Old 10/11/2011, 12:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks everyone for replying, i think I'll wait for the samsung nexus

i don't understand the hype about the iphone. it doesn't have flash or multitasking so I won't be able to do certain things with it that I want to do and jailbreaking voids warranty. it does seem more reliable though.

but this is weird: i started this thread right, so why is there appear to be a post before mine, quoting a post that was a reply to mine?
That is weird... I suggest Droid 3 or bionic for you. iPhone 4S for the wife. webOS is not a stable ecosystem until or unless someone picks up hardware again.

If you're already into it... like with your Touchpad, a pre2 or 3 off ebay may be the way to go.

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy

Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 10/11/2011 at 12:20 AM.
e-gadget-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 02:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Pixi. Why? It's webOS and it's $36. If you don't like it, it was only $36. :P Tonnes of them on eBay and Amazon at that price, without contracts.

Amazon.com: Palm Pixi Plus Verizon Cell Phone ~ No Contract: Cell Phones & Accessories

I happen to love my Pixi. Will be keeping it till it dies.
Old 10/11/2011, 09:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Any WebOS phones are dead ends. Get a Droid, iPhone or Windows Phone.
slbailey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 09:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'd hold out for the super-uber-ultra-mega-smartphone codenamed 'Cup 'n String.' It'll be running the next version of Android nicknamed 'Yule Log,' which will be the be-all and end-all OS version mankind has EVER known (until next quarter when it's released in white as well). Hope this helps.

viva webOS!
cujoq37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 10:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

I have a Pre 2 and I'm sick of seeing no more patches and apps coming out. It's showing it's age and I'm looking forward to the new Nexus phone. I need Office Doc editing, RDP, VNC and a host of other things we've been missing from the start.

Android is very easy to root and modify to your liking. Google Cyanogenmod, they make Android more awesome and have a lot of webOS like features in their mods.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0