webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) finally official
Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) finally official

Old 12/06/2010, 02:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Enough with the Android vs. WebOS stuff. Rubinstein has already conceded defeat to Android and Apple.

Put on the spot to rank the operating systems, Rubinstein says that clearly Apple and Android are going gangbusters. The battle, he says, is for who is going to be No. 3. “We’d sure like to be that.”

Quick, to the fan-boy cave, where we can imagine that the next Palm device will best Google's efforts. Have a pencil and paper ready? Great. Let's make up some devices and hold a contest to see who has the best one.

Not enough apps in the catalog? Well, the apps suit my needs just fine.

You're on your 3rd replacement? My launch day Pre never had a problem.

WebOS = potential
stung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 03:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

lets see who gets the latest OS update first.

vzw pre plus and pixi plus with 2.0.whatever

or vzw droid X or pro or 2 or fascinate or continuum or ally or eris or devour or incredible or vortex or citrus with gingerbread 2.3
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 03:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stung View Post
That's...uhh....incredibly optimistic. Shooting for the #5 or #6 spot might be a more realistic goal.
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 03:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post

or vzw droid X or pro or 2 or fascinate or continuum or ally or eris or devour or incredible or vortex or citrus with gingerbread 2.3
The better question is who needs it desperately?
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 03:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

It may be more interesting to ask if my pre minus will get webOS 2.0 before the galaxy s phones get froyo.
pnitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 04:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnitsuj View Post
It may be more interesting to ask if my pre minus will get webOS 2.0 before the galaxy s phones get froyo.
Too late. I have Froyo on my Epic already. No rooting or homemade ROMs either.
Old 12/06/2010, 04:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

why do any of the android phones or webOS phones need either of their updates "desperately?" if they were that desperate the carriers and manufacturers would stop playing these games with the release of their respective updates. Neither OS is gonna sell phones except to tech nerds on their own. It's all about the hardware these days that sell phones. Android wouldn't be popular if it wasn't on 10 devices on every carrier. Palm has stumbled not so much because of the failure of webOS but rather the failure to produce good reliable hardware.
Old 12/06/2010, 05:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

What's interesting to me is that Google is more serious about a point update for their OS than HP is about the launch of the P2.

If I didn't know better, I would say Palm is still a beleaguered, independent company with sketchy leadership and an even more questionable bank balance. The only thing about the launch of the P2 that suggested something was different about the company was that the P2 launch was much worse than that of the original Pre.
dandbj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 05:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Oh, that's all it takes to succeed? Releasing a bunch of devices? Must be why Apple is failing and why Windows Phone 7 is such a sales phenomenon.
Old 12/06/2010, 05:28 PM   #30 (permalink)

So the Nexus S is pretty much a Galaxy S with NFC. Glad my new Epic 4G is cutting edge, with WiMax to boot.
Old 12/06/2010, 07:09 PM   #31 (permalink)

mikah your mind is so anti palm it's beyond ridiculous.

I'm not comparing palm to apple, nor am I comparing apple to android, or to blackberry, or whatever. You can't compare any of these phones to apple. That brand and the iphone are in a league of their own.

but the success of android is because it's everywhere, not because of some killer feature of the OS. If palm decided to open source webOS to all the same manufacturers that google has, with htc, samsung, lg, motorola, etc etc webOS devices, and bombarded the market like android is doing, do you still think webOS would be a failure or atleast as successful as android? Windows phone 7 will also be more successful than palm is currently, not so much because of the OS, but because it will be everywhere. Once you get the device everywhere, and have enough customers, the devs will follow. Unlike apple, all other OS companies need to release multiple devices in multiple form factors and have each appeal to a certain market. Lets say google kept the OS to itself and only released the G1, then the Nexus one, and then the nexus S. Would their market share be skyrocketing? I don't think so. Palm would still be behind google, but not by much. Palm was small,thought small, and acted small...so they failed. Hp ideally would think bigger and broader, and if they release devices they have a great shot at competing with blackberry and microsoft and even android.
Old 12/06/2010, 07:55 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
Too late. I have Froyo on my Epic already. No rooting or homemade ROMs either.
Must have just come out. I was using a Vibrant a few days ago - nothing had posted yet. Sounds like gingerbread in july...

Edit: Sprint says it's a leak and you shouldn't install that Epic Froyo update...
http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...se-not-install

Last edited by pnitsuj; 12/06/2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: update info
pnitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 08:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
the Pre 2 is a new device yes, but as you can see there are no commercials for it, no advertisment, it basicly sneaked out the lab off the shelf. We all know for the most part this was a device Palm was looking to release months ago, and is excess inverntory. So no I don't see this as a launch they anticipate, the reason why they stated before the Pre 2 surface and after it did....NEW DEVICES 2011.
How could the Palm Pre 2 be excess inventory when all of the WebOS 2.0 reviews were on pre-production devices? They clearly pulled the trigger on worldwide inventory production well after acquisition. It was a purposeful launch, as anything bearing the name of a multinational multibillion dollar corporation should be.
Old 12/06/2010, 08:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnitsuj View Post
Must have just come out. I was using a Vibrant a few days ago - nothing had posted yet. Sounds like gingerbread in july...

Edit: Sprint says it's a leak and you shouldn't install that Epic Froyo update...
http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...se-not-install
Yeah, they said the same about the Evo leak. Seems to work fine. Awesome media player with EQ. Swank new YouTube app. Flash (How sad is it that even with Samsung's delays, the Epic 4G is getting Flash before the Palm Pre on Sprint?). Google Voice Actions. Even speedier than before. I'm a happy pup.
Old 12/06/2010, 08:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Ridiculous is a great description for this characterization. Someone started a thread about the Gingerbread release on a PALM forum. It's "anti-Palm" to, then, compare the two releases? Uh, no...that's what this forum is for.

Quote:
I'm not comparing palm to apple, nor am I comparing apple to android, or to blackberry, or whatever. You can't compare any of these phones to apple. That brand and the iphone are in a league of their own.
It's not about specific brands. You specifically said "It's all about the hardware these days that sell phones. Android wouldn't be popular if it wasn't on 10 devices on every carrier." It's demonstrably false. Verizon's Droid was a success when there were two Android devices on Verizon. Sprint's Hero was a success when there were two Android devices on Sprint. WebOS failed on every carrier in the longterm when there were two devices on each carrier. Stop making excuses that can't be substantiated.

Quote:
but the success of android is because it's everywhere, not because of some killer feature of the OS.
It's so odd that so many here still believe this backwards Bizarro ideal. Just rearrange it, man. Because of the killer features of the OS (and the highest end hardware), Android is successful and everywhere. Handset makers get behind a viable platform. Customers respond to the variety. They buy the devices. More handset makers jump onboard with more models. Rinse and repeat. The success and quality feeds the ubiquity. Not the other way around.

Quote:
If palm decided to open source webOS to all the same manufacturers that google has, with htc, samsung, lg, motorola, etc etc webOS devices, and bombarded the market like android is doing, do you still think webOS would be a failure or atleast as successful as android?
What a strange hypothesis. Isn't this like asking that if WebOS came out in 2006 before the iPhone was announced and had a 3.5-inch screen slab, hardware-accelerated GUI and the same content ecosystem of iTunes, wouldn't it be as successful as the iPhone? The answer is...it would be the iPhone! WebOS wasn't made to be licensed, and wasn't put on Android-like hardware and wasn't marketed as effectively. That was all by Palm's design. They made those deliberate decisions that produced a very different result.

Quote:
Windows phone 7 will also be more successful than palm is currently, not so much because of the OS, but because it will be everywhere. Once you get the device everywhere, and have enough customers, the devs will follow. Unlike apple, all other OS companies need to release multiple devices in multiple form factors and have each appeal to a certain market. Lets say google kept the OS to itself and only released the G1, then the Nexus one, and then the nexus S. Would their market share be skyrocketing? I don't think so. Palm would still be behind google, but not by much. Palm was small,thought small, and acted small...so they failed. Hp ideally would think bigger and broader, and if they release devices they have a great shot at competing with blackberry and microsoft and even android.
Even Jon Rubinstein doesn't position WebOS as being an Android competitor except when it comes to silly Monday morning quarterbacking like when he complained that the Pre could've had the Droid's success if it came first.

But that aside, I would LOVE for HP Palm to think bigger and broader. That's the reason I am taking them to task in this thread. Google is clearly thinking that was with the precision, scope, and scale of this 2.3/Nexus S launch. HP Palm is clearly NOT thinking that with the comparatively sloppy and half-baked launch of WebOS 2.0. Gingerbread's launch is an event because Google is making it one. WebOS 2.0 and the Palm Pre 2 were irrelevant non-events because that's how HP treated them.

And that's why it's going to take more than a "me too" hardware portfolio of tablet/slate/keyboard slider/etc. for HP Palm to stand on the same stage as the big boys of the smartphone world. They don't even have the basics down thus far.
Old 12/06/2010, 08:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
Yeah, they said the same about the Evo leak. Seems to work fine. Awesome media player with EQ. Swank new YouTube app. Flash (How sad is it that even with Samsung's delays, the Epic 4G is getting Flash before the Palm Pre on Sprint?). Google Voice Actions. Even speedier than before. I'm a happy pup.
I have to say I agree with you. Froyo is amazing on the Epic. Are you having the GPS issue?
Old 12/06/2010, 08:48 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:

but the success of android is because it's everywhere, not because of some killer feature of the OS. If palm decided to open source webOS to all the same manufacturers that google has, with htc, samsung, lg, motorola, etc etc webOS devices, and bombarded the market like android is doing, do you still think webOS would be a failure or atleast as successful as android? Windows phone 7 will also be more successful than palm is currently, not so much because of the OS, but because it will be everywhere. Once you get the device everywhere, and have enough customers, the devs will follow. Unlike apple, all other OS companies need to release multiple devices in multiple form factors and have each appeal to a certain market. Lets say google kept the OS to itself and only released the G1, then the Nexus one, and then the nexus S. Would their market share be skyrocketing? I don't think so. Palm would still be behind google, but not by much. Palm was small,thought small, and acted small...so they failed. Hp ideally would think bigger and broader, and if they release devices they have a great shot at competing with blackberry and microsoft and even android.
This post should be pinned.....awesome summation!
RoverNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 09:13 PM   #38 (permalink)

I like data. Everybody else should too. Everything else is just speculation. This is from a survey among devs.

Has the best app store/market/commerce capability:
iOS: 89%
Android: 10%

Offers most 'discoverability' of my apps:
iOS: 75%
Android: 21%

Has the biggest market for my consumer apps:
iOS: 85%
Android: 10%

Has the biggest market for my business apps:
iOS: 65%
Android: 11%

So where did Android best iOS? Capabilities as an OS, being considered the most 'open' platform on the market, and having a better long-term outlook.

That is all. Continue, you two.

Not enough apps in the catalog? Well, the apps suit my needs just fine.

You're on your 3rd replacement? My launch day Pre never had a problem.

WebOS = potential
stung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 10:24 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
This post should be pinned.....awesome summation!
But it's not. It's the old "let's blame everything on external influences rather than realizing webOS has serious flaws in the ways that matter" thing.
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2010, 10:27 PM   #40 (permalink)

Just for the record.
Breaking News: Gingerbread 2.3 running on Droid Eris | xda-developers

Should be on my hero soon!
koolkid09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0