webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Slingplayer Mobile: WP7 is the Latest Platform to Get It
Slingplayer Mobile: WP7 is the Latest Platform to Get It

Old 11/11/2010, 11:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
It is a platform that has appeal aside from paychecks...
You're wrong. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

The first thing you're wrong about is that I am bashing WP7. I actually praise MS for being the first to rethink the interface, and come out with something that is not derivative of the iPhone. I don't know if it will work in the marketplace. But I give them a lot of credit for doing it.

I also didn't say they were bad for paying developers. It is not a canard to suggest that MS bought and paid for developer interest. They did. It might also be true that developers would have been interested in writing for WP7 anyway. We will never know for certain, because MS didn't leave it to chance.

Who knows how much interest in the platform there would have been had they just put it out there and waited to see what happened next. I think there would have been quite a bit of interest over time. MS just shortened that time by paying developers to write apps. They specifically targeted iPhone app developers. That tells me that MS wasn't confident that developers would flock to the platform without extra incentive. If MS didn't believe developers would be interested, why should we?
dandbj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2010, 11:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
You're wrong. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

The first thing you're wrong about is that I am bashing WP7. I actually praise MS for being the first to rethink the interface, and come out with something that is not derivative of the iPhone. I don't know if it will work in the marketplace. But I give them a lot of credit for doing it.

I also didn't say they were bad for paying developers. It is not a canard to suggest that MS bought and paid for developer interest. They did. It might also be true that developers would have been interested in writing for WP7 anyway. We will never know for certain, because MS didn't leave it to chance.

Who knows how much interest in the platform there would have been had they just put it out there and waited to see what happened next. I think there would have been quite a bit of interest over time. MS just shortened that time by paying developers to write apps. They specifically targeted iPhone app developers. That tells me that MS wasn't confident that developers would flock to the platform without extra incentive. If MS didn't believe developers would be interested, why should we?
Nice try at sidetracking and rewriting my words, but at no point did I state that you said "they were bad" for whatever steps they took to foster development interest. No one is arguing for or against that. However, you did clearly say the following in this thread: "In reality, developers have no more interest in WP7 than they have in wOS."

Not true. I have demonstrated so, and with your inaccuracy factually established, let's move on.

Microsoft was quite confident of their platform which is why they provided robust developer tools early and often. They sent beta handsets with beta builds of the OS out in the wild, and let pretty much any site exhaustively review that, even though it wasn't what people would be buying in October and November. Aside from not getting some needed features like cut and paste, static IP WiFI, and HTML 5 support in the very first build, they've done a remarkable job of avoiding the missteps that Palm made in launching their new platform. I hope it pays off.

Personally, they're at least a half point release of upgrades away from me being able to consider using one for my daily device. But I hope they get there. More competition would be awesome.
Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2010, 12:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

dandbj13-
"If MS didn't believe developers would be interested, why should we?"

This is a huge fallacy in your logic. At no point did MS beleive there would be no interest. They simply wanted to make sure those apps are available day 1 to attract more customers. Its a simple concept - instead of letting devs wait 12 months for WP7 to become more popular - get the Apps D1 and give people more reason to switch over, faster.

Its a great strategy. One that poor palm could not implement, but rich HP should copy.
Matts4313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by mikah912, taharka
Old 11/11/2010, 05:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
But isn't WP7 brand spanking new starting from zero marketshare? How could they get big name apps like that? This is supposedly why HP/palm doesn't have them.
Because it's an evolution of WM, not a brand spanking new OS. Sling Media already had a Slingplayer for Windows Mobile, so it was very easy to port the previously existing code to WP7. Most of the work was already done for them, so why wouldn't they bring it to WP7?

You'll see a lot of previous WM apps coming out right at the beginning with WP7. This is definitely an advantage for Windows Phone. As unattractive as WM may have been, it certainly was not lacking in dev support.
Syndil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2010, 06:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

the mods at sling media are supposed to answer questions. So I asked why and they didn't answer.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0