webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > 43 New Androids Announced, Shipped, or Leaked So Far in October
43 New Androids Announced, Shipped, or Leaked So Far in October

Old 10/29/2010, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Android Became The Top-Selling Smartphone in the US in July, 2010.

In October, 2010, Android Central has had articles about 43 new Android phones that were announced, shipped, or leaked. Before these next phones hit the street, Neilsen announced that Android became the top-selling mobile OS in the U.S. Here are the links to the articles.
  1. Acer Liquid Metal
  2. Archos 28, 32, 43, 70 and 101
  3. Dell Venue (T-Mobile)
  4. HTC Bee
  5. HTC Desire HD (AT&T)
  6. HTC Desire Z
  7. HTC Droid Incredible HD (Verizon)
  8. HTC Gratia
  9. HTC Knight (Sprint)
  10. HTC Lexikon (Merge)
  11. HTC myTouch HD (T-Mobile) (aka myTouch 4G)
  12. HTC Wildfire (Verizon), (Alltel)
  13. Huawei Ascend (Cricket)
  14. Huawei Comet (T-Mobile)
  15. Huawei Ideos Tablet S7
  16. LG LTE Android
  17. LG Optimus S (Sprint)
  18. LG Optimus T (T-Mobile)
  19. Lumigon T1 (Bang & Olufsen)
  20. Motorola Bravo (AT&T)
  21. Motorola Charm
  22. Motorola Citrus (Verizon)
  23. Motorola Defy (T-Mobile)
  24. Motorola Droid 2 Global
  25. Motorola Droid Pro
  26. Motorola Flipout
  27. Motorola Flipside (AT&T)
  28. Motorola Milestone 2
  29. Motorola Spice
  30. NOOKcolor
  31. Samsung unveiling new Android device
  32. Samsung Continuum (Verizon)
  33. Samsung Fascinate (Verizon)
  34. Samsung Galaxy S2
  35. Samsung Galaxy Tab Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, Verizon
  36. Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi-only
  37. Samsung Zeal (Verizon)
  38. Samsung Mesmerize (US Cellular Galaxy S)
  39. Samsung Nexus S
  40. Samsung Transform (Sprint)
  41. Samsung Intercept (Sprint)
  42. Sanyo (Kyocera) Zio (Sprint)
  43. Sony Android Playstation Phone
Other notable Android articles:
• Neilsen announced that Android became the top-selling mobile OS in the U.S.
Android sends Steve Jobs over the edge
Logitech Revue
Sony Internet TV
Epic 4G modded to charge on Palm Touchstone
Getting Started with Android guide (thank you to Kyle Gibb)
Vlingo InCar -- a complete hands free solution
Verizon announces its LTE markets - 38 metro areas by Q4 2010
HTC doubles quarterly profit
Motorola 3Q Profit Up As Mobile Unit Returns To Black
Reuters: Q3 2010 Handset Sales by vendor

Here are 25 additional new Androids documented by pdadb.net

Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/01/2010 at 03:01 PM.
milominderbinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2010, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

they are taking ALL the good names!!! I'm surprized that they didn't just buy the rights from Lucas and make their whole line up Star Wars related as they did with Droid.... I might have bought one
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2010, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

The Galaxy Tab's are not phones so they shouldn't be listed

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
major payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2010, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

they are still an android product, and the carrier versions will pull data just like a phone, only they won't make calls.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
Butters3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2010, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
The Galaxy Tab's are not phones so they shouldn't be listed
I corrected the thread title to be 43 New Androids Announced, Shipped, or Leaked So Far in October.
Old 10/29/2010, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
they are taking ALL the good names!!! I'm surprized that they didn't just buy the rights from Lucas and make their whole line up Star Wars related as they did with Droid.... I might have bought one
Verizon is the one that bought those rights. That's why you'd see Droid used for both Motorola and HTC devices and only on Verizon networks. On the regional networks the Motorola Droid is actually named the "Milestone".
OrionAntares#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2010, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Oops. One more correction. And Yes, this is 43 listed Androids plus 25 more that are documented by pdadb.net give a total of 78 new Android models expected to be delivered by January 2011.
Old 10/29/2010, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's a lot of phones - talk about becoming a commodity. While there are differences in screen sizes and a few features here and there what is the primary difference between all of these devices (outside the obvious differences between tablets and phones)?

This is great for market share - look at the graph for proof, but what I want to see is this kind of variation in # of devices actually drive down prices and drive some innovation in differentiating a Samsung from a Motorola.

For all its great features Android could end up being kinda blah if Google and the manufacturers aren't careful.
solarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2010, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

This is one of the biggest reasons why Android is destroying everyone else:

Options.

Don't like the form-factor?
Don't need all the latest and greatest specs?
Want all the latest and greatest specs?
Want a keyboard?
Don't want a keyboard?
Big screen?
Little screen?
Mid-screen?

Android has it all.
Mattykinsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by slbailey1, susanoo26, taharka
Old 10/29/2010, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

I wouldnt really call it 43 new androids, Many of those listed are repeats. Like the 5 galaxy tabs its the same thing just a different carrier or no carrier.

Its also good to see US Cellular finally getting in the game, Maybe Android will raise their popularity
manordwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2010, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
This is one of the biggest reasons why Android is destroying everyone else:

Options.

Don't like the form-factor?
Don't need all the latest and greatest specs?
Want all the latest and greatest specs?
Want a keyboard?
Don't want a keyboard?
Big screen?
Little screen?
Mid-screen?

Android has it all.
But the fragmentation!!!!!!

....that no android owners really seem to care about.
DougB541#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2010, 02:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
But the fragmentation!!!!!!

....that no android owners really seem to care about.
Ain't that the truth. Most potential

Android users see the hardware "fragmentation" as a wider variety of choices.

The OS "fragmentation" simply doesn't exist from a consumer's perspective since the Market won't offer individuals software that won't run in their version of Android.

The OS "fragmentation" does require a few extra seconds of thought for developers. The SDK makes it quite clear to them which APIs are accessible by which OS versions. Google also published monthly reports outlining the percentage of devices that run on each OS version. Developers simply need to target a minimum API Level for their software to target their intended market segment. That's it.

Besides, it's fairly common knowledge that the term fragmentation, as it applies to Android OS, was stressed by Steve Jobs and is now (generally ignorantly) used by iOS and webOS fanatics as a reason to avoid Android phones.
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2010, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
I wouldnt really call it 43 new androids, Many of those listed are repeats. Like the 5 galaxy tabs its the same thing just a different carrier or no carrier...
As I read those specs, it appears that each will be a little different, beyond just differences in the radios.

Regardless, I put all of those into one line and added in the other new Androids in October so we are still at 43 different Androids. As you point out many are on multiple carriers but each line should show just one basic device.

So we ended the month at 43 different Androids with a total of about 100 different carrier versions that were announced, shipped, or leaked in October.

If each manufacturer focuses on just the 10 biggest carriers in the world with just one high, mid, and low market phone for each, each maker would need to release about 30 new phones every 9 month market cycle. That's about 150 new models a year. They are right on track.

- Craig

Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/01/2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11/01/2010, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
If each manufacturer focuses on just the 10 biggest carriers in the world with just one high, mid, and low market phone for each, each maker would need to release about 30 new phones every 9 month market cycle.
Help me learn here: Why do you say a 9-month market cycle?
taharka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2010, 03:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
Ain't that the truth. Most potential

Android users see the hardware "fragmentation" as a wider variety of choices.

The OS "fragmentation" simply doesn't exist from a consumer's perspective since the Market won't offer individuals software that won't run in their version of Android.

The OS "fragmentation" does require a few extra seconds of thought for developers. The SDK makes it quite clear to them which APIs are accessible by which OS versions. Google also published monthly reports outlining the percentage of devices that run on each OS version. Developers simply need to target a minimum API Level for their software to target their intended market segment. That's it.

Besides, it's fairly common knowledge that the term fragmentation, as it applies to Android OS, was stressed by Steve Jobs and is now (generally ignorantly) used by iOS and webOS fanatics as a reason to avoid Android phones.
Unless I'm misunderstanding the usage of the word "fragmentation"...the hardware "fragmentation" would be just that...wider variety of choices.

As far as "OS fragmentation" I have something to say about that from personal experience.
I have three friends that have older Android phones.
One has a G1 [that was capped at 1.6]
Two have a Cliq [capped at 1.5]

You can, through rooting, put 2.2 on both devices.
And I have for them.
After using different ROMs and kernels we quicker reverted to older OS versions.
Why?
Because those devices cannot handle the newer OS versions.

Android 2.3 [or 3.0 or whatever the hell they're going to call it] has a minimal spec limit.
In fact, per my understanding, there is no current device that meets the spec requirements. [Especially the resolution]

Now, do I think that in every single case the only reason the newer version of the OS isn't released because the device can't handle it?
No, they want you to get a new phone every year or what have you. [EVERY company does]
But...what I think Webos/IOS users seem to ignore is the fact that every update for Android is generally a pretty solid leap forward.
Except for a few changes...most of Webos updates have been bug fixes.
That's not the case for Android. [although of course bug fixes have happened]

If every update of Webos was as big of a step forward... as true with the Android updates... the original Pre would soon find itself running an older version of the OS.
Old 11/01/2010, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

@Mattykinsx, I think the point is most users really don't care much about which version of the OS they are running. They get a device and use it. The don't follow blogs. They don't keep clicking the "update" button to upgrade their phone. They just buy it and use it. To them, they have lots of devices to pick from. They find the one that they think will work for them and they're done for a year or two (or more). You're friends are more the exception rather than the rule.

On a side note: I don't think that min spec list "officially" came from google, so the jury is still out on whether current devices will be able to run the next version of Android.
taharka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2010, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taharka View Post
@Mattykinsx, I think the point is most users really don't care much about which version of the OS they are running. They get a device and use it. The don't follow blogs. They don't keep clicking the "update" button to upgrade their phone. They just buy it and use it. To them, they have lots of devices to pick from. They find the one that they think will work for them and they're done for a year or two (or more). You're friends are more the exception rather than the rule.
I agree. Just supporting with personal experience.

Quote:
On a side note: I don't think that min spec list "officially" came from google, so the jury is still out on whether current devices will be able to run the next version of Android.
I don't know. I've heard reports that it did and that it didn't.
Time will tell.

Last edited by Mattykinsx; 11/01/2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11/01/2010, 05:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Help me learn here: Why do you say a 9-month market cycle?
The market cycle is how long a product will last in the distribution pipeline from release to replacement.

This comes to light again last summer when Verizon's EOL (End of Life) chart got leaked. It showed the Droid 2 which had released the week before getting EOL in November 2010.

The Droid 2 was literally released for a 4 month market life.

The Droid Incredible and Droid X EOL's are 3/31/11.

The old paradigm was to release a new phone each year and let last year's phone be your new mid-market phone.

Now HTC, Motorola, Samsung, and LG are tightening up the EOL with each new product in 9 months by releasing the replacement.

The carriers want this because it means that you are doing your upgrade every year and locking another 24 months every time.

Last summer there were 100,000 Android activations a day. In June it was 160,000 a day. In August it was 200,000 a day. That's 73 million new Androids a year.

That's a lot of phones...
Thanked By: taharka
Old 11/01/2010, 05:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
...Android 2.3 [or 3.0 or whatever the hell they're going to call it] has a minimal spec limit...
Last June, the Androidguys blog said that there were minimum requirements for Android Gingerbread 3.0:
Rumor: Android 3.0 “Gingerbread” to Have Minimum Hardware Requirements

This was "According to Eldar Murtazin's Russian podcast (transcribed, detailed here)"

Quote:
Android 3.0 Gingerbread will be released in mid- October (around 15 -16th), 2010. First handsets shipping in November/December – for the Holiday Season.
And then it goes downhill from there.

As soon as they could, Google said:

Gingerbread “Minimum” Specs Fake, Say Android Engineers | Android ...

Google VP's have had dozens of interviews restating that but still people keep posting that they heard from some guy who knows a Russian guy who says that Gingerbread "has a minimal spec limit."

And now this thread will show up in future Google searches. It never ends.
Thanked by Mattykinsx, taharka
Old 11/01/2010, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
Last June, androidguys said that there were minimum requirements for Android Gingerbread 3.0:
Rumor: Android 3.0 “Gingerbread” to Have Minimum Hardware Requirements

This was "According to Eldar Murtazin's Russian podcast (transcribed, detailed here)"

And then it goes downhill from there.

As soon as they could, Google said:

Gingerbread “Minimum” Specs Fake, Say Android Engineers | Android ...

Google VP's have had dozens of interviews restating that but still people keep posting that they heard from some guy who knows a Russian guy who says that Gingerbread "has a minimal spec limit."

And now this thread will show up in future Google searches. It never ends.
Well then I retract my statement.
And that's good to hear.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0