webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Palm Pre 2 vs BB Torch?
Palm Pre 2 vs BB Torch?

Old 10/22/2010, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Do you think the Palm Pre 2 can go head to head to BB Torch? I think the Pre 2 can! It has many features BB does, and has a better interface that Blackberry could only dream of. What do you guys think?
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2010, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think the pre plus could easily go head to head against the torch and win, should be no problem for the pre2
manordwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2010, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

bb torch can't compete with original PRE it has the same processor but NO graphics chip AFAIK. It uses BB OS 6 which is still not as good as any other mobile OS.
Sapient2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: nbmatt
Old 10/22/2010, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Um, pre minus(stock) would at the very least hang with the torch. So yeah pre2=stomped torch!!
bdog421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2010, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

The Pre2 should be a better performing phone than the Torch. The BB reputation in the business world is what will make the Torch the winner in the marketplace.
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: manordwall
Old 10/22/2010, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
The Pre2 should be a better performing phone than the Torch. The BB reputation in the business world is what will make the Torch the winner in the marketplace.
I believe ur probably right however HP has a real chance at winning that battle I think.
Old 10/22/2010, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

My business partner has a Torch. My overclocked and patched Pre is a better device.
preryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: wushu2004
Old 10/22/2010, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Torch's CPU is lacking. 600 Mhz Marvel chip. The Pre 2's internals blows the Torch out.
Old 10/22/2010, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not only does the Pre have better hardware, it also has better software. It's ultimately webOS vs BB 6 OS, which if you've read some Torch reviews, is still not up to scratch.
Lepodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 12:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepodo View Post
Not only does the Pre have better hardware, it also has better software. It's ultimately webOS vs BB 6 OS, which if you've read some Torch reviews, is still not up to scratch.
Ok I wouldn't say the Pre has better hardware.
Old 10/23/2010, 12:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preryan View Post
Ok I wouldn't say the Pre has better hardware.
In terms of Processor PRE has a better processor with a graphics chip and a dedicated DSP. In terms of memory Pre Plus and Torch have the same amount of memory. In terms of screen size Pre is 3.1" Vs 3.2" for Torch so PRE's screen is sharper as the resolution on both is the same. Keyboard wise Torch "may" have a better keyboard but I have had no issues with mine (Sprint Pre ) either.

It all comes down to OS. BB OS6 is not as polished as webOS and is not as smooth (yeah even compared to a stock PRE). With webOS 2.0 and hardware acceleration of UI elements stock PRE should have a much more responsive UI as well. I think webOS wins here.

BBOS 6 is the best BBOS but BBOS was no great shakes to begin with. Their main strength was corporate email and BB messenger which others do pretty well (not email still but messenger definitely). In all other respects it is playing catchup and falling short and that shows with BBOS 6 on BB Torch.
Sapient2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 12:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

A little off topic but have you all noticed how aggressively At&t is marketing the BB Torch? Even with its lackluster specs blackberry and at&t is going balls to the wall with this thing! If only the pre would have gotten the same kinda justice....
blackbriar511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
In terms of Processor PRE has a better processor with a graphics chip and a dedicated DSP. In terms of memory Pre Plus and Torch have the same amount of memory. In terms of screen size Pre is 3.1" Vs 3.2" for Torch so PRE's screen is sharper as the resolution on both is the same. Keyboard wise Torch "may" have a better keyboard but I have had no issues with mine (Sprint Pre ) either.

It all comes down to OS. BB OS6 is not as polished as webOS and is not as smooth (yeah even compared to a stock PRE). With webOS 2.0 and hardware acceleration of UI elements stock PRE should have a much more responsive UI as well. I think webOS wins here.

BBOS 6 is the best BBOS but BBOS was no great shakes to begin with. Their main strength was corporate email and BB messenger which others do pretty well (not email still but messenger definitely). In all other respects it is playing catchup and falling short and that shows with BBOS 6 on BB Torch.
I wasn't really referring to hardware specs but rather how poorly the hardware was put together. It doesn't matter how fast the engine in your car if the wheels keep falling off. Only time will tell but hopefully HP has fixed this issue.
Old 10/23/2010, 09:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

There is no comparison..not even with my palm pre. However, I like the fact that they(BB) love the pre form factor that much they have to make a phone similar to ours. :O
RUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preryan View Post
I wasn't really referring to hardware specs but rather how poorly the hardware was put together. It doesn't matter how fast the engine in your car if the wheels keep falling off. Only time will tell but hopefully HP has fixed this issue.
Hah! Reminds me of an modern American muscle car

I saw a guy with a Torch the other day. Now I occasionally get stalls with my sprint Pre, usually when several apps are running. This guy was trying to look something up on the web and, well.. he gave up. I felt bad for him.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 10:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

I used a torch for about a week and half, testing it for my father, and it's not that bad. Build wise, it's not as pretty or sleek as the pre, but it's was definitely more solidly built, the slider had no wiggle, tha battery life was awesome, and the keyboard was incredible. That being said, the os wasn't on the same level as webos, heck it wasn't even in the same building, and the webbrowser while better than other blackberries also didn't co e close. It was also more sluggish. The screen was also kinda bad, the viewing angles just aren't there.
Old 10/23/2010, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepodo View Post
I totally agree. BB OS in general is slow and laggy. Its never snappy and never fast. If you think the Pre is slow loading apps -- wait until you try my Curve! (lol of course my Curve is a LOT older ... but still).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Hah! Reminds me of an modern American muscle car

I saw a guy with a Torch the other day. Now I occasionally get stalls with my sprint Pre, usually when several apps are running. This guy was trying to look something up on the web and, well.. he gave up. I felt bad for him.
LOL Exactly! Why did he give up? Laggy?
Old 10/23/2010, 12:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Put the torch keyboard into the pre; and now we are talking.
Maestro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 12:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

I'm not sure why anyone would want to compare a device to the BB Torch. It is not exactly lighting the way for RIM. Also, HP does not seem to be targeting the business market with the P2.
dandbj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 12:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

I seen a torch commercial that basiclly sais that it was a nice phone becase it had a screen and a keybord.....i say that to say some1 can copy somebody elses work 100 times but it can never really be as good as the original (hardware failers not countin lol)
mindonmillions08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0