webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Palm Pre 2 vs BB Torch?
Palm Pre 2 vs BB Torch?

Old 10/23/2010, 04:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Honestly I am seriously thinking about getting a Torch instead of a Pre2 if the Torch comes to Sprint.

The torch wins in one key respect: storage. I can put all my music on a microSD card, while the Pre2 only gives you 16gb or less. That's a big deal.

Since I'm not too concerned with gaming, I'm very much considering the Torch over the Pre2 (though I don't know why I've been thinking about it, since I probably won't be able to get either on Sprint).

The only reason I hesitate to prefer the Torch is that I really like the Pre's keyboard. Its little gummy keys are easy to press with one's fingernails, which I think make it easier to use for those of us with large hands.

Last edited by hopfrog; 10/23/2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: grammar
hopfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 04:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

I was immensely turned off of touchscreen blackberries by my Storm 9530. That performance kept me from going with the Torch and sticking with the Bold 9700. I'm waiting to upgrade my Storm to a Pre 2.
neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 06:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraith View Post
I believe ur probably right however HP has a real chance at winning that battle I think.
I feel like palm is at the point where it needs to be advertised as the hp pre, most people probably dont know that hp acquired palm and they are funding the entire project which means almost no limits
manordwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 06:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
The only reason I hesitate to prefer the Torch is that I really like the Pre's keyboard. Its little gummy keys are easy to press with one's fingernails, which I think make it easier to use for those of us with large hands.
I love the keyboard too, especially now that I have an AT&T Pre Plus. Palm's keyboards in general have always been good, but I think the switch to the gummy keys was a great upgrade.

I think people are just used to the Blackberry keyboards because they have been using them for so long. It's hard to give another keyboard a shot when you are already comfortable with a different design.
Old 10/23/2010, 06:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

Rebranding is very important for the platform. When I think HP, i'm reminded of the iPaq line of Windows Mobile phones. Coupled with the newly announced Slate, HP is going to have a very hard time overcoming a stigma as another Windows clone.
neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 06:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Yea, the palm name might be better on the phones just stick hp's name somewhere in the ads

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pr
mindonmillions08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 07:05 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
LOL Exactly! Why did he give up? Laggy?
I think the phone stopped responding to touch. He kept tapping the same spot on the screen pointlessly like a fly hammering against a window. Haha that's just mean I'm sorry.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 07:08 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
I think the phone stopped responding to touch. He kept tapping the same spot on the screen pointlessly like a fly hammering against a window. Haha that's just mean I'm sorry.
Lmao..yea that do sound wrong

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pr
mindonmillions08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2010, 08:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you think the Palm Pre 2 can go head to head to BB Torch? I think the Pre 2 can! It has many features BB does, and has a better interface that Blackberry could only dream of. What do you guys think?
I do kind of like the look of the Torch. I've used one, and there are definitely things about it that are better than the Pre. But I found the software to be so clunky and non-intuitive (I understand that if you are used to BB's it doesn't feel so bad), that I would prefer my Pre minus any day.

The Pre 2 would be much faster than the Torch, so there would be no question in my mind at all.

I still have to say that I like the Torch look and feel. But it's not so much better in that category to outweigh the extreme software and electronics disadvantages.
Old 10/23/2010, 10:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

The one and only thing i like about the torch is the slider. That is all. OS 6 is just terrible in my eyes. Everytime i use my friends torch i get fustrated.

WebOS is much better than OS 6, the specs on the pre2 are better, and the build quality on the Pre2 should hopefully be on par with the torch. So i would say that the pre2 kicks the torchs *** :P
diodo314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2010, 02:03 AM   #31 (permalink)

the original pre blows away the torch, the problem is, consumers will see that BB and and think its better than it actually is. Hopefully the pre 2 plus hp equals some good marketing and brand/product awareness.
hockey4life0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2010, 07:29 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
I feel like palm is at the point where it needs to be advertised as the hp pre, most people probably dont know that hp acquired palm and they are funding the entire project which means almost no limits
Maybe that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
I love the keyboard too, especially now that I have an AT&T Pre Plus. Palm's keyboards in general have always been good, but I think the switch to the gummy keys was a great upgrade.

I think people are just used to the Blackberry keyboards because they have been using them for so long. It's hard to give another keyboard a shot when you are already comfortable with a different design.
I agree. I can type better on the Pre/Pixi then on my Curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Ah, ic. Lol
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2010, 08:20 AM   #33 (permalink)

My wife has a co-worker who recently bought a Torch. He is a long time committed BB user, and was so excited by the upgrade, even telling my wife he now had a phone like her's (a Pre). After a fewdays, he concluded it sucks, and is only keeping it for the messenger service. I realize people are loyal to that service, but it seems a pretty slim basis for holding or adding users.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2010, 01:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

ive never liked bb's! BB operating systems jus arnt to par i think
raisind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2011, 07:55 PM   #35 (permalink)

i have both of these phones (pre2 & torch)
And i would say the pre2 is faster and my pre2 is running @1.2Ghz which helps. Battery life is poor even on the stock kernel. But the is more to a phone than speed of the cpu. The satnav app was only 20 on torch (wisepilot) and cover all europe. Satnav on the pre is Ndrive and cost's 39 for the UK only and is crap. The build of the Torch is great but the built of pre poor imo.
Its webos were the pre really shines, it pure class. so easy to use and the best multitasking of all the os's imo. preware bridges the gap between developers and the involved users.
7iain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 10:32 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preryan View Post
I wasn't really referring to hardware specs but rather how poorly the hardware was put together. It doesn't matter how fast the engine in your car if the wheels keep falling off. Only time will tell but hopefully HP has fixed this issue.
I know what you mean, I got my Pre second-hand, and apparently the wheels were already fallen off! So cheap constructions! Now I have to buy skateboart, too, I thought in the advertising they said all the features, now I learn I am missing one!!! cheap.
WoobieInD is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0