webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > finally got to play with an iPhone 4 today...
finally got to play with an iPhone 4 today...

Old 07/23/2010, 04:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Ahh gotcha now.
DougB541#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2010, 04:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtmk View Post
Once again that doesn't have anything to do with screen size. That is just because the iPhone browser apparently takes up a crapload of real estate.

what im saying is that the iPhone 4 is simply capable of having more content on the screen at one time.

I wasn't aware that the iPhone browser sucks **** however.

And i'm not an iPhone fan in the least. I'm just thinking about what I would want in a new Palm device.
It has just as much to do with the browser as it does the resolution.

It's true the iPhone has a resolution of 960x640 while the EVO is 800x480... and in theory can "display more information"...

But at 4.3" compared to 3.5", you have more physical real estate. Depending on how the browser is rendering the pages (font size, etc.) would dictate how much information is displayed and how easily it could be read as well.
gmanvbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2010, 06:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNONI78 View Post
Looks like the EVO shows more than an iphone.
the text looks more readable on the iPhone, but that could just be how the photo was taken.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2010, 06:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
the text looks more readable on the iPhone, but that could just be how the photo was taken.
Partly both reasons. THe iPhone DOES have a higher resolution an higher DPI so text will look better hands down.

Thats just the nature of it. But at a normal zoom level for reading i don't tink most people will be disappointed with android resolution.
Old 07/23/2010, 09:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
Gotta admit.. the color sure looks better on the iPhone.
Weaser999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2010, 09:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
That's what I thought. Is the EVO screen really that ugly looking?
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2010, 09:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNONI78 View Post
Looks like the EVO shows more than an iphone.
Not until you realize that the icons above are showing on the iPhone as well as time and date, etc. The only way to truly compare the two would be for both of them to run the same browser.
Weaser999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2010, 09:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtmk View Post
Once again that doesn't have anything to do with screen size. That is just because the iPhone browser apparently takes up a crapload of real estate.

what im saying is that the iPhone 4 is simply capable of having more content on the screen at one time.

I wasn't aware that the iPhone browser sucks **** however.

And i'm not an iPhone fan in the least. I'm just thinking about what I would want in a new Palm device.
YES, YOUR RIGHT!!!

Unless your one of those weird people who wants to read what their screen is displaying.

While the iphone can display more pixels, it cannot display more information at the same size! My pre screen is capable of displaying everything I need on my screen, all at once, but I can't read the text, and the images are hard to see. It can be a 1080p screen, heck it can be a 4k screen, but at that size i'll still need to zoom in, and out in order to see all the information on this page. (unless they redesign the page.)
nimer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2010, 11:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
That's what I thought. Is the EVO screen really that ugly looking?
In comparison, yes. The Evo has a huge screen with a not-so-great resolution. A lot of graphics (especially in apps that aren't designed for the resolution) look blown up.

The Evo screen is okay, nothing spectacular. It definitely shows when compared to something like the iPhone 4 or Samsung Epic.

Personally, I much prefer the higher resolution and better looking screen than an extra inch of screen.
barkerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2010, 11:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
In comparison, yes. The Evo has a huge screen with a not-so-great resolution. A lot of graphics (especially in apps that aren't designed for the resolution) look blown up.

The Evo screen is okay, nothing spectacular. It definitely shows when compared to something like the iPhone 4 or Samsung Epic.
Well that makes me kinda sad. I always thought the EVO had a decent looking screen. Seeing it next to a phone with a great screen really makes it look blah. I've heard that even the Pre's screen is better...

I mean, it doesn't look terrible, but it just looks washed out and bland. The colors don't really stand out.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2010, 11:15 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Well that makes me kinda sad. I always thought the EVO had a decent looking screen. Seeing it next to a phone with a great screen really makes it look blah. I've heard that even the Pre's screen is better...

I mean, it doesn't look terrible, but it just looks washed out and bland. The colors don't really stand out.
The Pre's screen is much better. The Evo is only a 16-bit (65k colors) screen, whereas the Pre and iPhone are 24-bit (16 million colors). Big difference between 65,000 and 16 million.
Old 07/24/2010, 01:12 AM   #32 (permalink)

id love a bigger screen, would make browsing more productive but the pre just feels so good in ma hand! It's almost like it fits right in the Palm™ of my hand!

Sprint Palm Pre, previously Moto Q9c, Moto Q

Palm is da bomb, don't hate!
jimbohsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2010, 01:17 AM   #33 (permalink)

the pre's screen is a LOT crispier than a lot of other smartphones I've had the displeasure of placing my grimy paws on

Sprint Palm Pre, previously Moto Q9c, Moto Q

Palm is da bomb, don't hate!
jimbohsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2010, 07:24 AM   #34 (permalink)

Clarifications, FYI:

Screen size is the physical size of the screen, usually expressed in diagnal length, in inches. The Pre is 3.1", iPhone4/3GS are 3.5", HTC HD2 is 4.3"

Resolution:

This is all about quality of the image. Once the screen size is set, just how close together will the pixels be, to provide a smooth image?

The closer the pixels are to eachother, the harder it will be to see the pixels individually, which makes a crisp and smooth image.

-The iPhone4 has a 3.5" diagnal screen, with a resolution of 960 x 640. Doing the math, thats a total of 614,400 pixels for the whole screen, or about 176,000 pixels per diagnal inch of display.

-The Pre/Pre+ has a 3.1" diagnal display screen, with a resoultion of 480 x 320. Doing the math, thats a total of 153,600 pixels for the whole screen, or about 50,000 pixels per diagnal inch of display.

-The iPhone 3GS has a 3.5" diagnal display screen, with a resoultion of 480 x 320. Doing the math, thats a total of 153,600 pixels for the whole screen, or about 44,000 pixels per diagnal inch of display.

-The HTC HD2 (using this, because it is the physical model for most HTC large screen phones after it, such as the EVO) has a 4.3" diagnal display, with a resolution of 800 x 480. Doing the math, thats a total of 384,000 pixels for the whole screen, or about 90,000 pixels per diagnal inch of display.

-The much heralded AMOLED screen of the Samsung Glaxy S has a 4.0" diagnal display, with a resolution of 800 x 480. Doing the math, thats a total of 384,000 pixels for the whole screen, or about 96,000 pixels per diagnal inch of display.

Now, to put this all into something you can easily compare it to:

-I'm using a Viewsonic 24" diagnal monitor at 1920 x 1080 screen resolution for my computer. The total number of pixels for the screen is 2,073,600, or about 86,400 pixels per diagnal inch of display.

Conclusion:

The best screens will have the highest pixel density.. more "dots per inch" (density). Small screens will be more effective and economcial to do this on, as they will require less total pixels, becuase they will cover a smaller area.

The iPhone4 screen's quality is no secret - they packed lots of pixels into a fairly small screen, relative to the competition. It CLEARLY has the highest density of pixels, even against a very high quality computer monitor!

One caviat, though - it DOES require more CPU power and will tax bettery life more to have higher screen densities for better displays, as the screen needs to be redrawn, pixel by pixel, as every single pixel requires an instruction on how to "appear" from the CPU - more pixels = more instructions required every time the screen refreshes (refressh rate for smartphones is 30 -60 x/second, I believe).

If you note, the iPhone4's screen resolution increased tremendously over all previous versions of the iPhone (they doubled thier total pixel coutn, using the same screen size, thereby quadrupeling thier screen density!!).

Of note: the Pre actually had a higher resolution than all previous iPhones - this is something I, myself, noticed visually last year, after the Pre came out - if you can believe it, the Pre had the BEST screen quality and resolution of any smartphone when it debuted in June/2009.

The bar has been raised by the iPhone4's release, and the HTC entries tried to anticipate that with thier hi-resolution specs and larger displays prior to the iPhone4's release - I can tell you, my daughter's HTC HD2 screen with Transformers running on it is nothing short of stunning!

Last edited by LCGuy; 07/24/2010 at 11:56 AM.
LCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2010, 08:29 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
The Pre's screen is much better. The Evo is only a 16-bit (65k colors) screen, whereas the Pre and iPhone are 24-bit (16 million colors). Big difference between 65,000 and 16 million.
Well, ok, but, not really...

You see, this all kinda works with screen resolution.

You can show tons of color, but if the image is pixelated because the screen density is too small for the screen size, its going to look bad, period.

Another point to understand about the color display is that these are small devices with small screens - even with the best screen density, there is a limit to how much detail the human eye can pick up, especially given the small areas and limited number of pixels in those areas to produce such detail.

On the HTC HD2, with a color palette of 65,000 colors to pick from (16 it), there is NO perceptible difference in image vibrancy next to the Pre, with 24 bit color (16,000,000 color pallette). The Pre screen only has so many pixels to show a color with.

Sad to say, the image quality, while exceptional on the Pre, is still even better on the HTC HD2.. just a drop less pixelated... see my post above, for why.

Now, if we want to increase screen sizes to computer monitor scales 17 - 30" diangals, then we are certainly talking about a percieveable difference in color vibrancy from 16 - 24 bit color pallettes, because now there are MANY more pixels available to display those subtle color nuances in the expanded palette.

Last edited by LCGuy; 07/24/2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07/24/2010, 08:34 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
You are gonna have to trust me on this...

You can't ever judge image quality of a display - smartphone, TV or monitor, by looking at a photo of it on another display device, because, that device is limited in its ability to reproduce those real life nuances by its own limited hardware specifications.

Its always best to judge such things in person. The human eye has a color palette of billions of colors, and can detect just as many shades of brightness.. while our current crop of display devices do not.

And, FWIW, the iPhone4's display is, by far, the best I have seen on any small device, in person, IMO.

You have give credit where credit is due - in that regard, the iPhone4 is at the top of the pile, for now.

Last edited by LCGuy; 07/24/2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07/24/2010, 06:45 PM   #37 (permalink)

LCGuy: You seem to know your stuff when it comes to displays. The design of the iPhone 4's screen also plays a large role too, does it not? And by design I mean how close the actual display is to the glass. When you look at the iPhone 4, it literally looks like you're looking at print – as if you're literally touching the ink.
Old 07/24/2010, 07:53 PM   #38 (permalink)

Barkerja;

Well, there is theory and there is execution.

When it comes to quality of display, there can be lots of deviation between the two.

Apple seems to have gotten it right regarding the iPhone4 in that regard - they did pay attention to the actual construction details of thier display, but, its not really a special technology.. just basic display theory that they made sure came through in the hardware design.

Old 07/25/2010, 05:41 PM   #39 (permalink)

Yeah the iPhone 4 really is the best screen i've seen on a mobile device. Doesn't mean others are ****ty. Hell its not like i look at the Pre even right next to the iPhone 4 and think its terrible.

Its hard to notice the subtle improvements on such a small screen...but it def. is a great screen.

Evo screen is also great...don't let the photo fool you. A more direct view like the one I posted last page shows you this next to an AMOLED screen.

Or here is one showing the colors:

But for instance the Samsung Galaxy screens are tech. much better contrast wise.
Old 07/26/2010, 09:44 AM   #40 (permalink)

When I rank out what is important in a mobile device for ME...
Color depth for a screen on a mobile device is pretty low on MY priority list.

I'm not bashing the iPhone4... it has a great screen but so does the EVO and EPIC. It's just the best screen atm.
gmanvbva is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0