webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Official iPhone 4 vs. Palm Pre and Pre 2
Official iPhone 4 vs. Palm Pre and Pre 2
  Closed Thread

Old 05/13/2010, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hardware
Speed: Unknown vs. 500 MHz Pre, Pre+ ([B]Pre 2: 1 GHz)
Overall Size: iPhone 4 overall size is significantly smaller than the Pre 4.1 vs. 6.4 cubic inches
Screen Size: 3.5" vs. 3.1"
Resolution: 640 x 960 is four times the 320 x 480 Pre or Pre 2
Storage: 16GB or 32 GB vs 8GB (Pre) or 16GB (Pre+/Pre 2)
Camera Resolution: 5 MP vs 3 MP (5MP Pre 2)
Autofocus: Yes vs. No for Pre, Pre Plus or Pre 2
Digital Zoom: 3x vs. none
Front Camera: Yes vs. No for Pre, Pre+ or Pre 2
Video Chat: Yes vs. No for Pre, Pre+ or Pre 2
microSD Card: none for either
Voice Dialing: Yes vs. No
4G or LTE: none for either
Removable Battery: iPhone: No, Pre: Yes

Basic iPhone features
• Many webOS Homebrew patches are already built into iPhone or are apps.
• Speech to Text - say a message or email instead of typing it.

Apple allows for apps not in webOS
• There are 300,000 iPhone apps vs. 5,000 webOS apps
• iPhone has a variety of iPhone music players instead of one in webOS
• iPhone Mic access allows speech and sound recognition in apps like:
- - Shazam can use an Android Mic to listen to a song & tell you what it is
- - Translation apps hear your spoken words and say it in other languages.
• iPhone developers can access the camera for apps like:
- - Camera apps
- - Barcode Scanner can use the camera to read barcodes
• The iPhone also includes an FM Radio.

See the Detailed Comparison of Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, and iPhone 4.

For much more on the iPhone 4, please see our sister site, The iPhone Blog and Forums.

Palm Pre/Pre 2 Comparisons:
- 4.3" HTC EVO - 4.3" Droid X - 4" Captivate - iPhone 4
- w/Keyboards: 4" Samsung Epic - 3.7" Droid 2 Global

- Craig

Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/04/2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06/07/2010, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

was just reading the live meta-blog of the wwdc and coudlnt stop laughing cuz steve tried to show off the nytimes site and was unable to connect to the web for about 2 mins lol, funny stuff
Old 06/07/2010, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I envy it so bad
Old 06/07/2010, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I love my Pre, but the new Iphone battery is just plain sick:

From Engadget:

"Apple managed to make the battery slightly larger, and the new handset is rated at 7 hours of 3G talk, 6 hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours of WiFi browsing, 10 hours of video, and 40 hours of music. Oh, and that WiFi? It's 802.11n now."

And 802.11n!!

I browsed for about an hour on 3G the other day on my Verizon Pre and my battery went down almost 50% and I have Mungen extended battery. I'll bet I can get 3 hours of video.
Old 06/07/2010, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh great, the next "french shower"bag phone.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Thanked By: cmilette
Old 06/07/2010, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

... and I work with a whole bunch of f.a.n.b.o.y.s and apologists. Wish I could go home early. It's a friggin' pink pony parade going on here today. *gag*
Old 06/07/2010, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

They'll be over here and at every other competitor forum by the end of the day to call us all losers and proclaim the coming of the almighty OS There is no escape!!!

Admittedly, it is a pretty sweet phone - just not my thing.
Old 06/07/2010, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

And you feel the need to open a new thread when there are 2 others?

You're doing them a favour buddy...

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Old 06/07/2010, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

and the iphone is 3-4 generations ahead of Palm. On top of it can you replace the battery if it dies or so you have to go buy a new iphone

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
Old 06/07/2010, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm sure the battery is better than the 3GS and of course the Pre's battery, but keep in mind that when it comes to smart phones "rated" in no way whatsoever means "it will actually get".
Old 06/07/2010, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

I wonder what the fate of the Pre hardware is with the new iPhone being announced? I love my Pre Plus, but I have to admit, those people over at Apple have produced one sick phone. Here's hoping Palm/HP is up to the challenge!
Old 06/07/2010, 01:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

the battery life will be that good, using the A4 chipset. As stated above though you cant compare a first generation device to a 4th, its not logical. Now when the next generation WebOS phone comes forth, then make comparisons.
Old 06/07/2010, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

I will say this...from the original to 3GS, the upgrades were kind of meh. Iphone 4G and OS4 are insane.
Old 06/07/2010, 01:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

There is some pretty BIG news coming form Apple today, Palm? HP? Are you watching this?

How about a little hint... now would be a great time for a leak... or preview, or announcement.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
Old 06/07/2010, 01:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

No, the logical comparison is to compare a device released last month to a device that's going to be released soon. Palm Pre Plus vs. Iphone 4gen is a logical comparison.

It makes sense. Just cause Palm's behind a couple generations doesn't mean it gets better treatment.

Battery/screen size needs to be something Palm should be looking toward when they go for a new phone.... if HP even wants to build it.
Old 06/07/2010, 01:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

it looks s##t imo,the pres loads sexier lol
Old 06/07/2010, 01:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Now palm/HP will have an uphill task to look forward to. The new i-phone will be released and it has monstrous specifications and software manipulations. Of-course Steve Jobs can do it as he has more than 35K employees. Here is a list of few things that palm pre-2 at least need to be at par:

1) A-4 & battery consumption: cant come close to it as it was devised by apple itself, however maybe we can beat them in processor speed if pre-2 gets more than 1GHz. Though 1Ghz may consume a lot of battery life for pre-2, than 1Ghz A-4 for iPhone will.

2) Video: HD video w ability to send at lower resolution w 30 fps. One can autofocus while making a video. Once again palm may not have enough resources to work on all these small things that make a software great.

3) Resolution 960* 640, 4 times the last resolution of i-phone. I hope once again palm has the money, time and employees to make it all work. Not sure about the new retina display but we do need quadruple resolution for pre-2.

4) Glass in back and front w body being used as antenna: This will drastically improve reception for iphone, one of the few complaints of the iphone users. I hope pre-2 will come with better or matching reception.

5) Front facing camera: Video chat: Once again an uphill task for palm pre-2. Plus this needs to blend with the UI seamlessly with ability to come in and out of it at a rapid pace, unlike the phone camera app right now we have which does take some time to load. Better night time picture taking ability.

6) Noise reduction: I bet something palm wont even think about as they already have so many things to do on hand.

7) ibook store: that palm lacks completely. Web-OS-2 should come out with a book reading software, that is able to download books from free projects without involving the PC. We need to have ability to read all formats of books. If the publishers wont come to us, darn we should go to them.

8) Few other things like digital compass, gyroscope (again probably not palm priority) to make pre-2 funky and set apart.

9) Somehow convince google to make turn by turn directions for web-OS2. Almost everyone have them, plus this would be a trump card over i-phone beside dual core processor and 4G

10) Movie playing app like netflix

11) FM radio (its such a tiny chip)

12) WIFI n and bluetooth keyboard support.

13) Bigger battery: maybe contact seidoonline for battery help.

14) Better display: Maybe SUPER-AMOLED screen

Last edited by kkhanmd; 06/07/2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06/07/2010, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Or just give up?
Old 06/07/2010, 01:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg never_give_up_poster.jpg (73.0 KB, 44 views) Email Attachment

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
Old 06/07/2010, 01:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
Now palm/HP will have an uphill task to look forward to
I think they'll be able to compete with it. Y'all going to be really surprise very soon.
Closed Thread

Tags
i-phone, pre-2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0