webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > Help Me: BlackBerry on WebOS, Smartphone Round Robin
Help Me: BlackBerry on WebOS, Smartphone Round Robin

Old 12/28/2009, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Greetings Mobile Accomplishers!

Week #3 of the Smartphone Round Robin has Dieter rock'n BlackBerry and me hitting up WebOS via the Pre and Pixi.

I'm looking for your help to make sure I know what I need to know about the hardware and platform - I don't want to miss anything.

I was there at CES 2008 when Palm unveiled the Pre and WebOS... even got a great video of it recorded with Peter Skillman walking me through. And it's no secret I'm a huge fan of the multi-tasking cards and the way WebOS handles notifications.

So I'm a big fan of the concept of WebOS and of the direction Palm is heading. My bigger questions are I guess about how good the current experience is in making it your daily device, and where do you want to see it go.

So some questions:

- how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?

- how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?

- anything else you think i need to know?!

MUCH THANKS! post on this thread daily for your chance to win a new pre or pixi!

Kevin
Old 12/28/2009, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
Greetings Mobile Accomplishers!

Week #3 of the Smartphone Round Robin has Dieter rock'n BlackBerry and me hitting up WebOS via the Pre and Pixi.

I'm looking for your help to make sure I know what I need to know about the hardware and platform - I don't want to miss anything.

I was there at CES 2008 when Palm unveiled the Pre and WebOS... even got a great video of it recorded with Peter Skillman walking me through. And it's no secret I'm a huge fan of the multi-tasking cards and the way WebOS handles notifications.

So I'm a big fan of the concept of WebOS and of the direction Palm is heading. My bigger questions are I guess about how good the current experience is in making it your daily device, and where do you want to see it go.

So some questions:

- how have you been finding your Pre / Pixi? How's the hardware holding up? How's the daily use? Battery life good? Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?

- how's the app situation? i'm not so concerned about quantity like apple's app store, but you can find the apps you want/need for the major things you do throughout the day/week?

- what are you really loving about being on palm webos? how did you arrive to it (so where/how is it better than what you were using before)?

- what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos? what do you think they may not like?

- how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?

MUCH THANKS! post on this thread daily for your chance to win a new pre or pixi!

Kevin
my response will be divided into bullets and answered in the order asked
-battery life is ok but with the cpu scaled to around 550 mhz its running alot snappier and with a better battery
-apps are one thing im not really concerned about
-webos has been a breath of fresh air and i feel a little spoiled with it but no matter how bad it lags is an improvement from winmo
-i think bb users will like not having to choose between touch screen or hardware keyboard
-looking for a touchscreen only with say 3.6 inch or so
-on its own webos is so-so but with patches and homebrew is the best way to try it
063_xobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I haven't had any problems with the hardware of my Pre. It's as good now as it was the day I bought it. My partner on the other hand has had an Oreo problem with hers, but she doesn't mind because she doesn't use the phone that much and it hasn't interferred with the function of the phone. The battery life truly sucks compared to my old BB Curve. The OS is faster than both my Curve and Treo Pro. It's not as fast as some others from what I hear, but it's sufficient for me.

The apps are pretty pitiful. There's lots of them, but very few that I find truly useful. I've paid for a handful because I believe in supporting the product and I use those apps, but I do miss the variety of WinMo and BB

The biggest and best thing about the Pre and the reason I won't leave it is multi-tasking and gestures. It totally rocks on those two things. Significantly better than other platforms.

They would love the OS, gestures and multitasking. The thing they would not like and what I miss the most is BBM.

The hardware needs an upgrade on the Pre. It needs to be more solid. I think a slightly larger screen would be nice, but for me I wouldn't want it to be a lot bigger because then it's a pain to put in the pocket etc. I like my gadgets very portable. The Pixi for what it is is a very nice form factor, but they really need to add wi-fi. Also both phones need more memory or external memory. I like my phone to be more of an "all in one" device and 8g won't do it for me.
thekarens#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Pre that I got on day 1 has been absolutely rock solid, no hardware issues whatsoever. Speed doesn't bother me so much. It'll take a few seconds longer than I'd like to open some things sometimes, but usually it's fine for me. Battery life though, that's its Achilles' heel for me for the time being. It just barely gets through my normal day's use.

The app situation is good enough for me, but I can see how it'd bother others. Quite frankly, everything I need is part of the default OS install, anything else is just a nice extra as far as I'm concerned. I personally prefer the games that are on the Pre to some of the iPhone stuff anyway, because if I want true gaming, I've got a DS Lite for that.

I'm still loving the notifications, the multi-tasking, and the Synergy stuff on the Pre, among other things.

As for the comparison question, I should preface this by warning that I can't stand the Blackberry operating system. I've used older and newer revisions of it, and just really don't like it, it's old and clunky and in my opinion needs a major overhaul. (I haven't used a Storm though, so no idea how the touch works on it or doesn't). But in my opinion, pretty much everything on the Pre represents an upgrade over the BB. The browser is far superior, though it's hard not to be, the OS is more intuitive, email works just as well (not including those who use BES in this, though I'm not a fan of that either), and the PIM is much better. I know the BBs generally do have much better battery life though. As for what someone would miss from a BB, I know 5-10 people who have seen my Pre and mentioned how they would all switch... if it wasn't for BBM (which I again don't get the point of, but whatever). Of course, my opinion definitely isn't the majority opinion looking at RIMM's marketshare. I just think that their success is in spite of the OS, not because of it.

And then with the form factor, I can appreciate how others would like other form factors, but to me, the Pre's is near perfect. I love how small it is, and the display size never bothers me. If I'd want a bigger version, that'd only be to accommodate a larger battery, not because of the display size.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Responses in order:

* Hardware: My Pre hardware is holding up fine. Honestly, there must be either two manufacturing plants, or two sets of users/expectations. Battery sucks, but Touchstone makes up for it. Lags occasionally, but rarely without a reason. Haven't noticed a change in lag or battery life throughout updates.

* Apps: I like the apps I have, but Homebrew is essential. I wish I had action games like on my son's iPod Touch, and I wish I had a native VNC/RDP/Citrix client of some sort.

* BB users: I think they'd love the multi-account email and multi-account calendars. Obviously the card-view multi-tasking. The pinch-to-zoom or double-tap web browsing is a huge benefit, too. As for what will they miss? Corporate IT support is probably the biggest. Any place with a security-minded IT department will be leary to allow webOS and loathe to support it. Same goes for WinMo and iPhone. If it weren't for iPhone cracking that EAS door open, I wouldn't be allowed in with my Pre.

* How'd I get here: via Centro and Treo. I thought I needed Classic, but ended up not. I have always loved and carried a Palm since my Pilot II. Odd thing is, I left behind several beloved apps and haven't really missed them much. I LOVE Podcasts via drPodder and Contacts Synergy with Exchange, Yahoo, Facebook and LinkedIn.

* Form Factors: I simply love both the Pre and Pixi form factors. For me, the Pre edges out because it is smaller in my pocket. If Pixi had WiFi, the choice would be a bit tougher, but I think I'd still stay with the slider. I wouldn't even want a larger screen if it meant a larger device. That being said, I think a small tablet/ebook reader would rock with webOS.

* I wish you luck with your impending detox treatment. After having a gesture area, card-swiping, swipe to delete and swipe-down menus I think going back to the BB button-click-scroll-click-scroll-click will be very difficult. You have my sympathy.
Old 12/28/2009, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think the hardware is holding up fine, can't wait for gpu to get used. I'm still on my launch day pre, haven't had any issues with it, and i don't know why there are people who have gone through 4+. Battery life sucks, but that seems to be a common thing among all smartphones, not just palm.
rowehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

All my associates use Blackberrys and/or Nokia E71's. Its amazing what my Pre can do right out of the box (and its a meta-doctored UK Pre being used in India, with no 3G!). I created 2 gmail accounts - one to sync all my contacts from my previous phone (a Treo 750) and one to sync with my outlook/work email. Combine that with my old facebook/gmail accounts and most of my contacts had pictures and birthday details within hours of using the Pre!

Of course, battery life is an issue (hardware is acceptable to me, though I totally agree with you that a larger screen will show WebOS off better..couple that with good build quality and a large battery, and Palm has an absolute uncontested winner as a cloud-connected business phone).

I've installed gsyncit for syncing my outlook contacts & calendar with the phone - so third party solutions are definitely helping.

My only gripe with the OS is that it needs a lot of tweaking to get what you want out of it (and a major thanks to homebrew and WebOSinternals for that!)...and believe me its not easy to install software like cygwin and go through the process of tweaking your pre - I so wish that Palm works with these homebrew devs and does some strong testing, and incorporates the patches in their WebOS builds...that way they'll reach the mainstream consumer much, much faster...

App-wise, Quick-Event is one app that has changed the way I manage (or add) my calendar entries.

Form-factor: The Pre almost nails it as a good business device. Add 2-3 mm more width (to space out the keyboard), and make it atleast 3 mm less thick (the curved slider is the culprit for the thickness, methinks), and the bold will look ancient. Of course, provided they improve on their build quality and use some metal or leather like the E72 or the Bold.

Overall, you can see I'm pretty excited about using the Pre. The upcoming web based technologies only bolster my support for WebOS and I hope to see WebOS 2.0 running with full GPU support, more apps based on native SDK's, and more business functions..a little better gaming support will be great too...
abhinandanjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Greetings Kevin. Hope you enjoy your time with Palm's WebOS phones.

I have a Pixi, and the hardware (IMO) is phenominal. The build quality is great, and I love the forum factor. I really only experience lag when I have multiple labor intensive apps open. 97% of the time, it's quite snappy.

6 months in, I can't really complain. The App Catalog is growing almost daily, and the homebrew scene has filled the gaps quite nicely with Apps like DrPodder, Music Player Remix, etc., etc..

Multi-tasking sold me. That and the Pixi's forum factor.

Not quite sure, as I have never used a BB. I will say that the OS is the most intuitive phone OS I've ever used.

I'd love to see WebOS on a device with the HTC HD2. I think that would be mind blowing. That being said, I like physical keypads. And the keypad on the Pixi is amazing.

Happy New Years!
JDGAFFLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I own a Pre and I must say my first impression wasn't good. My first Pre wouldn't activate and I never found out if that was a Palm or Sprint issue.

My second Pre activated fine, but it has a couple of dead pixels (not enough to bother me, but they're still there) and a slight wobble (we call it the oreo effect) on its slider that the previous Pre didn't have.

Battery life on its original battery and webOS 1.2.1 (which was the original version of webOS I got) was pretty horrid. I got an extended 1400 mAh battery from Mugen power and now I get very good battery life, but I got around the same time that I got webOS 1.3.1 so I don't know how much did either change contribute to the extended life of the battery.

For the most part, the device works quite fast though, with only a bit of lag noticeable if I use it shortly after closing the web browser or the phone app. Not a deal breaker, but annoying nonetheless.

Quote:
I believe the app situation is flawed both because Palm has not released enough tools for developers to really get into the heart of the device and because Palm refuses to sell apps to many markets where the device is available. For instance, I can't buy apps from the Palm App Catalog even if I wanted. Sprint, which was Palm's chosen partner to launch the Pre in the US, services Puerto Rico as well and apparently Palm never considered this and thus there is no option for someone from Puerto Rico to add a PR address into the App Catalog to verify credit card information so I can't buy apps.

Fortunately, many homebrew apps from Preware are great, but if they ever go retail via the App Catalog I can't buy them, which is silly. The Pre does suck on gaming though. While there are a few nice games, many of them are simply limited due to the Pre having too many limitations in its developer API's. I hope Palm remedies this soon.

Quote:
I was using a Treo 755p before and the difference between webOS and the old PalmOS is pretty big. To begin with, it's a lot more user friendly. My wife never got the hang of my old phone and she would hate using it when her phone was unavailable. She learned to use my Pre immediately. That says a lot for it.

Overall, the much friendlier UI is a big point. The multi-tasking, which I thought I wouldn't care for at first, is actually a big deal. I can switch apps quickly and it's just fun to do so. This is also the first phone that I own with GPS apps and I find them to be very useful (and I can have the GPS open while Pandora's doing music in the background and the phone has no issue handling them both at the same time).

What I do miss is a way to categorize things. Ye olde PalmOS was big on categorizing. You could create categories on pretty much every app, even its version of the Launcher. That would make organizing things very easy. WebOS just places apps into a general category with little way to organize save to move their order around and to move them to another page within the launcher. When you have a lot of apps that can be a pain unless you get used to typing for the app you want. That sounds great for the Pixi which has the keyboard available all the time, but not so good for the Pre with its unusual vertical slider.

Quote:
Definitely ease of use and Cloud synchronization. Obviously, this is coming from someone with limited Blackberry experience, as the only BB I've used is my father-in-law's, but I just find the the BB OS to be very difficult to navigate, visually unappealing, and just unfriendly.

When my father-in-law got a new BB to replace his old one from T-Mobile we spent hours trying to move his contacts to the new phone. Unfortunately, his laptop wouldn't recognize the old BB, continuously requesting a driver for it. I downloaded the most recent version of the BB desktop app, but it still wouldn't recognize his old BB. I went searching for other versions of it but we never solved the issue. It could have been a faulty USB connection I guess, but since the phone charged fine through that port...

Of course, webOS does lack a local synchronization solution, and I know that puts many people off to it.

Quote:
I honestly think that Palm kind of messed up the form factors. The Pixi has an external keyboard which is great, but is missing 80 pixels from the screen! I consider that a big loss.

The Pre is more powerful, but it's a vertical slider, and not a very solid feeling one at that. It's keyboard is also uncomfortable. I find that if I type more than 100 or so characters on it at a time my hands start to hurt a bit. I never had that problem with the Treo.

Quote:
Gestures. Once you learn them (and it won't take more than a minute or two), you'll wonder how you got by without them!
silverthornne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

So some questions:

a: so far it has been holding up well and speed is decent. i'm used to daily charging, so battery life has not been an issue.

a: homebrew has just about anything I need.

a: ease of use and interface is typical palm and very nice. I was a prior blackberry user among other devices - while email on a bb was great, the navigation, web browsing and screen on a Pre is so much better.

a: love - multitasking and ease of use not like - os and software is still maturing where bb has been around a long time

a: having used a bb, I really like the pixi for size, feel, ease of typing in a candybar form factor. I really like the Pre since I can have a keyboard without giving up the bigger screen. I would like to see something with a larger screen size, but that's just my preference.
ripcity00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

How's the hardware holding up?
Launch day pre, no problems, solid platform for me. I have dropped a few times with no problems. Having the Invisible Shield on since day one has helped out alot.

Battery life good?
Ok, about the same as my BB Storm. I recently purchased a Mugen 1400, big improvement for me. I think the TS charger is one of the pre's best features (have one at home and in my car).

Speed of use? Is there lag or is getting snappier?
All my apps open fine, some people claiming 5 to 6 seconds but mine open with in a second or two except for the navigation and Pandora apps. I have Preware and patches which have really helped make my pre even better.

how's the app situation?
The apps on the phone work for me, not really into games and things so not really a big app fan.

what are you really loving about being on palm webos?
The ease of use, muti-tasking, how easy it is to move from one app to another. The open access to create patches and apps.

what do you think blackberry users might love about palm webos?
Coming from the BB Storm, speed of the web, ease of the OS and definitely have a real keyboard.

how do you like the two current form factors in the pre and pixi? perfect? ok? what do you want to see in the next devices they release (i think webos would rock more with a wayyy bigger display)?
The current form of the pre suits me fine. I like how compact it is, not having to wear a dorky belt clip. It is really an amazing device.

Just want to add that precentral.net is an awesome site. Just want to thank everyone for all of the help that they have given to me.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 03:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Now with the innnocase, feels very sollid, after 1350 seidio battery all is good for days use. Lag is 1-2 at most

Had winmo 6.1 before, hated it for multitasking, and non ability to modify to be better (at least not without loading a full cooked rom). I love that I can sync mutli accts into one contact all easly

Multitasting that is super easy, but they may not like the lack of video or battery life

I would like an HTC HD2 running on WEBOS. Is that so much to ask?
Tomeygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 04:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=CrackBerry Kevin;2109779]

So some questions:

-I have had one replacement due to the power button on top being stuck. My current phone has the infamous usb crack which has progressed into the screen. Battery life is no better or worse than most smart phones I have used. (Iphone, Blackberry Storm & HTC Touch). Lag is noticeable with themes and other homebrew apps. However, It seems as if this phone has come along way since its launch date in this aspect.

-I think Palm is still behind here, but I am in hopes that with Verizon coming on board soon this will solve this situation...

-As you commented on and is known multi-tasking is so easy and natural. Yes, other phones multi-task but not as effortlessly as webos. I ended up with the pre because I love mac computers and wanted something similar as an iphone. Sprint is much cheaper and in my opinion a solid carrier. I am probably in the minority, but love itunes & still am able to sync up with the pre. (I have not done the latest itunes update for this to work). I also, love love love that google-gmail, calenders, facebook etc. sync up with no need to connect the phone. Webos just works and is simple to use.

-Bigger display, better hardware on the Pre and that is about it for me. Palm has done a solid job for a new OS and I cannot vision myself with anything different in the near future and I stress near.

-Time to make the switch. It may look like lemons to a BB user but once inside it's a bed of roses!!! Thanks for your input Kevin and welcome to PreCentral.
swissarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hi Kevin,

Good questions. Here are my answers:

Quote:
Three months in, the hardware is holding up well. Only some minor looseness in the slider (Is this oreo? I've never found a good explanation of what oreo is exactly.) and a small chip on the case by the ear speaker. Battery life is getting better with WebOS updates, but is still pretty bad. I HAVE to charge every day, and I'm thinking of using some Xmas money to get an extended battery. There is some lag, but a couple of patches I installed have helped with this.

Quote:
There are only two apps I really feel I'm missing. A more robust Facebook app would be great. My friends and family often communicate through Facebook email messages, and neither Palm's app nor any of the 3rd party apps available display these - I have to go to Facebook's mobile site to check for messages.

The other thing I want, as I ranted about in my reply to Casey from AndroidCentral is a feed reader app. Canadian Pre users do not have access to any of the Pre feed reader apps yet, because they are all paid apps and we can't pay for apps yet.

Other than that, while I might occasionally lust after some apps from other platforms, I have apps for everything I need. Homebrew is a BIG help here - many of my favourite and most-used apps came from homebrew.

Quote:
I came from a dumbphone, after a brief stopover with a BB Storm that I returned after 3 days. I love notifications, being able to customize the user interface through patches, the Homebrew community overall, gestures, and the web browser. Overall, the UI is brilliant and very intuitive.

I don't actually multitask too much (other than listening to music), but what I do enjoy is the ability to leave a web article or app in card mode and come back to it when I have more time to attend to it.

Quote:
I would think they would like the notifications and multitasking, plus the ability to plug into the computer and immediately have access to a USB drive. I'm don't know enough BB users to know what they wouldn't like.

Quote:
I can't speak to the Pixi, but the form factor of the Pre is great. It feels smooth and comfortable, and true to the company's name fits right in the Palm of my hand. While it's no BB keyboard, the Pre keyboard is easy enough to type on with some practice. I agree that a bigger screen would be nice, but I love how well the Pre fits in my pocket and I don't want to mess with that.

Quote:
Not that I can think of. Enjoy your week with the Pre!

Last edited by kallan42; 12/28/2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Clarified some statements and added information
kallan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

The Pre is first device I've used that I would consider as good a messaging device as the iPhone is a media device. And while it has solid Exchange and push e-mail support, where webOS really excel is in the way that it embeds the Pre--with relative ease--within the much hyped cloud messaging ecosystem, such as in the way that webOS handles contacts and instant messaging. I don't consider any one device best for everybody, but if most of your communication consists of Twitter, email, SMS, and IM with the people in your Facebook network and/or Gmail contacts list, then the Pre will do for your personal messaging what your work BlackBerry does for your business messaging.
Sayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 11:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Will you be experiencing the update?
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 11:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Kevin
I want to wait to answer your questions once I get the 1.3.5 update installed and used. however, didnt want to miss out on the contest, so here is my entry for that! Will answer your questions tomorrow!
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2009, 11:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

1.3.5 SLOWLY downloading here as well. Can't wait to install more than 10 applicatons! I love my Pre but the app space issue has been downright aggrivating.
rodhnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2009, 01:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

Open GL supports coming!!!
Holy fitzsticks!!!!

The Need For Speed Games coming!

I''m rather ecstatic!
adobephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2009, 01:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

Open GL supports coming!!!
Holy fitzsticks!!!!

The Need For Speed Games coming!

I''m rather ecstatic!
adobephile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round robin

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0