webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Other OS's and Devices > webOS from Android
webOS from Android

Old 12/21/2009, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?
2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?
3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?
4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!
5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts

thanks in advance guys!

Good Times.
caseychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had a pre and traded for an HTC hero. The pre was just slow and buggy. The thing I hated most was that in flicking away cards, if you try to flick a call away to end it, the phone wigs out. It would minimize and maximize repeatedly and the screen would flash on and off. Also, as great as it was, I rarely used the cards. My hero accomplishes multitasking fine, which is generally listening to MP3s and sending messages/emails, and maybe getting on a call. The Pre was slow too. The hero is just much slicker. Also, the app options on android beats the pre hands down. The only thing I really miss is the proximity sensor, however I havent had any issues related to hanging up on people.
lldsandsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Casey!

Welcome

1. Old palm user but first smartphone (that I stuck with for more than two weeks.

2. I love the keyboard, the multitasking and the simplicity & intuitiveness of the user interface. & it was a more natural progression for consolidating from a palm tx + zune + samsung alias.

3. No jealousy yet. I have what I need 4 now (in the app store anyway) & comfortable with the understanding that this is a new platform & pace of growth. but... Gsm (non-us) users are likely to have offer an earful on that topic

4. Not sure I'm getting this question right...My understanding is that the dev tools utilise html/css but there are some exceptions that have more 'native' access - such as classic. This app would have been impossible to build using only the current mojo web os development tools.

5. Totally :-)
derook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

1. How many of you are old Palm users? Or is the Pre/Pixi your first experience with Palm devices?
I'm an old Palm Treo user (300 => 600 => 650 => 700wx), but mainly stayed with Palm because I wanted to stay with the much more affordable (and better coverage in my area) Sprint. When my trusty Treo stopped charging, the Pre was a couple weeks from launch, and clearly the best smartphone option on Sprint.

2. Are you on the Pre/Pixi/webOS only because of the magnificent multi-tasking? Or are there just as important reasons I'm not aware of?
On Pre mainly because of Sprint, but also have a bit of Palm loyalty. The multitasking really is the best of any smartphone OS I've used, and I actually really love the camera (as good as an iPhone in my experience, and includes a flash). Also like the fact that I can do all of my main syncing (contacts, calendar, podcasts) OTA without having to tether.

3. Any jealousy over other platforms app stores/markets? Is the App Catalog and Homebrew options showing enough potential?
I am jealous of a few of the apps in the iTunes App Store (primarily facebook and shazam), but WebOS pretty much has everything else that I need. Homebrew is definitely filling the gaps on most of the missing pieces (such as tweaking of notification sounds and lighting).

4. From what I understand, some apps are built on html guidelines but some apps aren't? Or am I completely wrong, if anyone can explain it as easy-to-understand as possible, it'd be much appreciated!
As far as I understand, all of the SDK-built apps (i.e., not given special consideration from Palm like Classic) are html/css/javascript.

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts
The OS is definitely gorgeous. I do wish it was more customizable out of the box, though, without patching.

Unasked question: hardware... my only gripe with my Pre is that I wish it had the sturdy build quality of an iPhone or Blackberry. In fact, I would probably prefer a Pixi if it had the hardware specs of my Pre (the non-slider form factor would likely fix all my problems).
devonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

A previous Palm user here, but the Pre is my first smartphone. I was already on Sprint, my trusty old Zire PDA was dying, and the hype around the Pre caught my ear. Very happy with my choice so far.

The major thing that I really liked about the Pre was it's compactness, and the elegance of WebOS. Six months later I still really like that. The Web browser is important to me, and I think that's great. The PIM apps are pretty good for the non-power user. The App Catalog has been steadily getting better, and now has enough to satisfy me ... with the one, glaring exception of voice-driven apps (really want voice dialing, and I'm really jealous of my friend's voice-activated Google app on the new iPhone). Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

The part that's really surprised and delighted me is the "openness" that Palm has allowed. Having Homebrew and being able to tweak the OS has been terrific, and they seem committed to continuing that "open", friendly feeling (as evidenced by the hire of Ben and Dion).
davis.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

1. I never owned a palm phone before, first one.

2. Multitasking is one reason but my main reason is sprints pricing

3. i wish it had a myspace app (i know, no one uses myspace anymore but I do), and some picture editing apps but other than that i dont need any other apps

4. Most will be html/java but some apps (dont know what the stipulation is) are allowed to use other non-published tools, sounds kind of like the apple thing

5. It is beutiful, imagine it with a bigger screen...
pottyvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Casey and Welcome

I enjoy reading your articles over at Android Central. Android is a platform that I am watching very closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4sizzle View Post
I have been using Palm since the beginning save a brief venture into the world of Windows Mobile and random crashes. My company did give me a BlackBerry curve once which I returned to them the following week. I also have a Jailbroken iTouch.

Quote:
I have many reasons for using the Pre but the most important features to me are Synergy (shared calendar) and a vertical physical keyboard.

Quote:
None at all. I'm not a gamer so lack of 3D is a non issue to me. Between the App Catalog and Homebrew I have an app on my Pre for everything I need it to do.

Quote:
Javascript, Ajax, HTML5 and CSS are the available languages in the SDK. You can also use server side applications. That is not as much of a limitation as some would have you believe. For example all of Googles Web Applications are built using the same technologies. All the applications for Google's new Chrome OS will be built using the same technologies.

As you mention some core apps have been given deeper access to the Linux core such as Classic, Sprint Nav and a few others.

Quote:
I agree the UI is second to none.
Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
R.I.P Palm 1996-2011

Last edited by rc46; 12/21/2009 at 04:40 PM.
RC46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

1. Personally, I've been with Palm since the Treo 600, to the 700p, to the 755p, with a short stop to the WM Moto q9c, and back to the Pre (and also used a Nokia n800 as a secondary device for a while in there). I've also tried a few other devices for a short while each, but nothing else ever stuck around.

2. My reasons for using the Pre is that the OS is perfect for me. Designed around a keyboard, with things like Universal Search and type to search in every app, Synergy to bring in all the accounts I was already using, and the multitasking. I know that some of these features are becoming available in other operating systems but it's the whole package, not to mention that no other OS does it so elegantly.

3. In a word, no. Don't get me wrong. There's applications on other platforms that might be nice to have- a big one for me would be the iPhone's Zipcar app, and Shazam and those sorts of things would be nice. However, there's not a single one that I actually need right now. In other words, I need the features of the OS on the Pre more than I need any secondary apps.

4. Basically what's already been answered. The Pre uses HTML, CSS, and Javascript (not Java, as some have said) for its applications. However, Palm has allowed deeper access to a select few developers, including the aforementioned Classic. On the homebrew side, this isn't as big an issue, since quite a few applications now use a Java, or native Linux service, and then use the standard webOS / Mojo SDK to create a GUI that connects to that service.

5. Have to agree. One of the things that I've noticed, though some may disagree, is that it's a prettier interface than even the iPhone. To me, it makes that OS look old and dated.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sudoer
Old 12/21/2009, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Many Palms (see sig)

Quote:
Not solely. I love the vertical slider form factor, as well as Synergy, Universal Search, screen size (given the small device size), and notifications. It integrates well with Google, which I use both at work and home.

Quote:
In order: yes, and getting there.

I don't use my phone for gaming, so I'm not jealous of the more complex gaming apps, but I would like apps that take advantage of the microphone (such as Shazam). While I don't worry too much about not having apps that meet my needs, I do worry that, if the Pre/Pixi don't get significant growth, they won't compete with the market. Apps are a huge deal for buyers.

Quote:
Sorry, can't help here.

Quote:
Yes. It's gorgeous. I still can't get over how cool this device is. No phone is perfect, but this one hasn't grown old yet.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
Bujin#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey all!

It's Casey Chan from Android Central and let me tell you, I love the Pixi! Okay, I love the Pre more but the Pixi really surprised me and that form factor is simply great. Okay, on to some initial questions I have for you guys. Will definitely be back with some more.

thanks in advance guys!
welcome.

1. Palm Centro was my first smartphone, used a Nokia before.

2. multitasking pretty much is the thing attracted me in the first place, of course other factors play more and more important role as well.

3. sometimes, but not really a big problem for me, I think its fair to say a smartphone, no matter how smart, is a small computer with low resolution and limited CPU power, there is only limited meaningful things you can do with it, especially when users need to use it as a phone, thus can't do other cpu intense work like crazy and kill off battery in couple of hours. with 100k+ apps on iPhone, I dont even understand how a ecosystem can be maintained and how users can benefit from it.

4. I don't really know, AFAIK, all third party apps right now should be HTML/CSS based. I do hope palm can open up more native SDK in the near future. But i don't really know what I would be able to do with those, wait, I know I want mobile firefox first.

5. It is, I think the elegance is whats really nice on webOS. It doesn't provide most information when you open it, but its intuitive and really elegant. iPhone UI is very much treo 600 style 10 years back, really growing old by minute.
clevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 04:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

1. This is my first Palm device. I actually thought they'd gone bankrupt long ago prior to the announcement of the Pre.
  2. The experience as a whole. It's incredibly elegant.
  3. No jealously, but there are features missing - the most obvious being video recording. There are several refinements to existing features I'd like to see too.
  4. Not qualified to answer this one.
  5. It's the most beautiful OS out there, using it is such a pleasure and it does (despite what anyone says) make the iPhone's interface look, and feel, dated.
Old 12/21/2009, 05:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Welcome!!

1. I've been using palm devices for awhile now. I didnt like the Treo Pro and the Pre's launch date had been announce while i was still in my 30 days...
2. I love the multitasking, but I also love web browsing on it, and there are some apps that I use everyday. Its also a fine gps for this city "syracuse" and i use it for movies and such when i have too much free time, although I think i prefer using the pixi now for stuff in landscape....
3. Lots of jealousy from other devices app stores, however i can give palm sometime to get the app store and sdk up and running...I have patience, but it wont last forever....
4. Not even gonna touch that...
5. Isnt it? I play with all the new devices for sprint, and i have to tell you while i do really like the apps available for android devices, i just dont think the interface is as nice as webos...give me the marketplace on my pre...and ill show you a super happy consumer!!! Oh also check out the themes...I have never done anything like theming my phones, never rooted. But because of the ease of doing so with webos, I now rock a homemade ZomPre zombie theme....got that on android?

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.

Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/21/2009 at 06:00 PM.
mrloserpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

1)
Pre is not my first palm device, it is my first palm phone second palm device, fourth or fifth PDA like device (wm & maemo)

the pre IS my wifes first palm and first smartphone, she had an iTouch prior, and hasn't touched it since.

2) the multitasking yes, the ClassicOS with the ability to run essential software like Epocrates is another reason.
phone centric reasons are as follows

a) killer homebrew. I actually decided to keep my pre way back in june
When I Was able to put the simply-flipflops app on, the second that happened, i knew that the phone would be modifiable to whatever needs i might have, over time.

b) the multi-tasking via imho, the most fluid and elegent, powerful UI around.

c) the ability to run legacy apps, especially medical software not available on some other platforms (epocrates) via classic

The Biggest reason for me, however, is probably price, sprint, with my 23% discount, has the cheapest smarthphone plans for me and the wife, the difference in price over two years is thousands of dollars compared to verizon where i came from.

3) a little, though it's blunted by above, my jealousy is really only aimed at the ability to play duke nukem, or wolfenstein, thats about it, and, its only something that even crosses my mind when I am sitting in a waiting room somewhere, which isn't often.

4) i think the answer has been given already, so yea what they said

5) yes, its pretty, and functional, I am amazed at how a whole world of interactivity can be squeezed into a space smaller than a credit card.

cheers, and enjoy.

FYI leaving cards open is the way to really use multitasking, just make sure you close the browser, as consensus is that it chews up battery. other things (calendar, tasks, messaging ect) should be fine. also turn on advanced gestures to allow a fluid movement between open apps. I think the pre was designed to keep some apps open, hence the multitasking, and moving between them is faster than anything else I have experienced.

Last edited by windzilla; 12/21/2009 at 09:47 PM.
windzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 05:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

first palm device. love the fluid design of the os and in theory the multi-tasking. however the lag is awful and keeps getting worse. June 6th i can get a new sprint phone at discount and will see whats out there. sprint android phone are still at 1.6 while android is at 2.01 so thats not very promising alternative. forgot too i like the universal search feature however that as well as other things needs more customization
jaman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hi there, this is fun

"Old" palm user in the most literal sense of the word - I had a Tungsten back when they were hip and new in high school haha. The pre is nothing like it. The Tungsten had better games though (I still crave a good game of blocks every now and then with those gorgeous controls) and I really miss the arrow navigation keys. I was a bit disappointed when I bought the pre because I had no idea it was a new operating system and old palm os files didn't work on it. This is less an issue now with the replacement apps coming a mile a minute, but it was a huge issue when I bought it in July and the app store was 8 or so apps full.

I bought it on a whim, never had a smart phone before, but now I'm in love with every aspect of it (and I don't even really utilize the multitasking that much because my collection of wallpapers is so gorgeous I can't bring myself keep many apps open for long.) I love the feel of it in my hand, the resolution of the screen, the intuitiveness of the UI, and the customability and open attitude palm has brought to the whole thing. Learning to patch palm os files may have been the highlight of this experience for me.

The only thing I'm jealous of is the iphone/ipod touch's games. I would kill to go fishing or race-car driving on my pre!

I think previous answers have covered this and are accurate.

I probably think it is even more beautiful :-) But I've also customized the heck out of mine - I would love it less without my 1000 wallpapers and switcharoo (version I use is not available through the official app catalog), hiding the quick launch bar (it is now only accessible for me via the "wave" motion), and tweaking background scrims and the top bar and various other things that make me proud to own a pre.
tarirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: swimdng
Old 12/21/2009, 06:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

1. I had a Palm PDA in law school (mostly used for playing drugwars, lol), then a Treo 655, a 700, a 755 and a Centro. But I'm no Palm fanatic, I left for a Touch Pro, which I really enjoyed having.
2. I've been a Palm fan for years, but the UI and form factor are what drew me in. Big screen plus a vertical qwerty are my cup of tea. And WebOS is just incredible, and has tons of potential.
3. I frankly don't care all that much about apps, per se. I would like Palm to increase some native capabilities, and there are a few apps that would be cool, but I find the whole app thing to be overrated.
4. More knowledgeable people than me have already answered this.
5. You cannot beat WebOS for pure prettiness and elegance. I love looking at my Pre.
oddlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 06:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Welcome!

One thing you will learn about this forum compared to most others I've even been part of is, some of the folks that have tried WebOS but no longer have one, or those that have never had it but still love their Android or iPhone WON'T LEAVE. They stay here to try to convince themselves they made the right decision not to stay with WebOS. They stay here and do nothing but bash WebOS and/or Palm.

I have been a Palm loyal customer since the original Palm Pilot way back in '96. I've had many smart phones, starting with the Samsung i500 (Palm based), multiple Treos and the Centro.

I love the Pre, but, like every phone I've ever had, there are things I wish were better. I've come to accept that I'm an early adopter and will have to wait for new apps.

I've been with Sprint for 10 years now. I like them now more than ever.
ponyfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 06:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

1. Previously used Palm PDAs, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650/680

2. I like the Synergy integration between ActiveSync calandar/email/SMS/IM/phone.

3. For how I use my phone I do not have application envy. The only two things I envy about the iPhone are the larger screen and the responsiveness.

4. I like the apps -- don't really care about games and graphics.

5. I like the UI -- slick and fun -- and hopefully response someday.
miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 09:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've been using Palm since the Palm III

Multitasking is nice, I'll admit.

iPhone's App store.

5. Does anyone else think it's as beautiful OS as I do? Geez, I can't stop staring at the lovely fonts.

It is gorgeous.
soccernamlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2009, 02:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey all!

thanks in advance guys!
Hey hey Casey! Good luck with the WebOS devices. I'll answer your questions if you help answer mine: Any hint of a when AndroidCentral podcast will come to light? Now I'll assume you gave me a good answer and here is mine .

1: Old time PalmOS user here. Sony Clie brought me to the world of PDA's, Treo 650 brought me to the smartphone world, now Pre has brought me to the connected internet domain. ^^
2: Mostly on the Pre because wanted the newness from Palm and the Treo 755P has aged away. The big reasons I guess is because I've always been on Sprint and this was the most anticipated phone I've wanted.
3: Nah, I like to say, the PC has thousands of apps, but I don't need em all. Just give me my core apps and I'm fine. (Last core app I need is Docs to go, come on Dataviz!!!....oh and yeah, audible playback -_-')
4: As stated earlier, its correct. Most of the apps are web based, while some developers are granted deeper access for special apps, one of which I believe is DataViz.
5: Oh yeah, loving the WebOS. Android comes in 2nd though, mostly with HTC Sense UI, the widgets and panels look very nice.

And to help bring the full power of the WebOS to your world, here are some core homebrew patches you should have on your device. I guess I'll try a top 5 since there are so many good ones.
1: Enable LED Notification-Very handy so you don't have to power on your device to see if you have anything.
2: MultiBrowser Mod-Keyboard shortcuts to page down, go to top/bottom of page easily is very handy.
3: Enable Landscape Email- Nuff said?!?!!
4: App Launcher 4x4- More apps on screen, less scrolling.
5: SMS Tone Per contact- Helps lets you know who's texting you just by the sound, just in case your away from your phone.

Good luck and enjoy WebOS!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0