Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    This coming week will be very interesting and may result in this being my last post in the "650" section of this forum.

    As many of you know, I've been a Treo devotee for many, many years. I was so excited to get the 650 last month because I thought it would be PDA nirvana. I was obviously a very late entrant into the 650 club because I had pimped my 600 to be such a great machine that I had no reason to jump on the 650 bandwagon. I just kind of held the 650's improved screen and video capabilities out there as an icing-on-the-cake future for when my 600 bit the dust.

    When my 600 was finally on its last legs (after approximately 7,000 hours of reliable operation) I arranged to replace it with the vaunted 650. I'd been so happy with each successive Handspring/Palm/Treo device that I was positive the 650 would be the pinnacle of my PDA experience. Alas, that was not the case, as has been evident from many of my posts.

    My technician brother and I have been researching and testing various phone/PDA's for a corporation recently so that members of their upper management can hopefully end up with the best overall device as they make the move to a common platform.

    One of the first decisions we helped them with was to eliminate Verizon, Qwest, Sprint, Nextel, and Cricket, along with all of their associated PDA/phone devices This was initially met with some resistance until we did a demo and showed them some of the functions they were handicapped with by using CDMA/non-GSM phones, i.e. inability to hook up a 3rd, 4th, 5th incoming caller into a conference call while a two-way conversation was already in progress; having incoming phone calls go straight to voicemail while loading a web page or sending an SMS; not having any cell service in some of the countries they need to visit, etc., etc. Once the superior functionality of GSM was proved to them it was then simple to narrow the device decisions to only those compatible with either Cingular or T-Mobile's networks. Because of local quality issues with T-Mobile, we easily ruled it out, leaving Cingular as the only logical option for this company.

    After researching dozens of devices, we had pretty much decided that we would have them jump on the 9100 when it arrived at Cingular in the next few weeks. That decision was already made until my bro and one of the owners of the company walked into a Cingular store yesterday. The store had just received the HP 6515 that morning. This particular smartphone had not been expected to reach Cingular for several weeks. In fact, the 9100 was actually supposed to arrive before the HP6500 series. They happened to walk into the only store in all of SLC to receive any of them.

    Needless to say, we were stoked, since this device does not have the two-handed hassle of a slide-out keyboard and is the roughly the same length and thickness of the Treo. The main visible difference is that it is about one-fourth wider, with a larger screen than the Treo and it runs WM. We immediately bought all of the units that they had and we're starting to mess with them to see what's under the hood.

    I will offer some of our observations in the "Other Handhelds" section as we experiment with them over the next few weeks...
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  2. #2  
    I think your 'take' on the hp phone will be insightful. Keep us all posted.

    On the GSM decision, did the data plan costs come into play (versus the cheaper CDMA costs?)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  3. #3  
    having incoming phone calls go straight to voicemail while loading a web page or sending an SMS;
    It's the same with a GSM.

    That decision was already made until my bro and one of the owners of the company walked into a Cingular store yesterday
    I don't think you can make an opinion for a new device in only one day. The drawbacks are often seen after a few monthes of use, when the PDA is fully loaded with apps... etc.

    Regards,

    stipus
  4. #4  
    You want to train your management to do 3-4 people conference? That's probably harder than training cats.

    Is the iPaq even in wm5? Past iPaq phones are known to be not very good with the phone functions.
  5. #5  
    Nope, the 6515 is running WM 2003 SE.

    While the 6515 doesn't have the sliding keyboard that the Wizard has, it's also missing Wifi, which the Wizard has as well.

    The MAJOR issue with this device, from what I understand, is it's "different" screen size which has caused many applications to become un-compatible. Also, HP's support is notoriously bad. They are very slow to release OS updates.

    The 6515 was always scheduled to be released before the Wizard. It was due to Cingular in either Oct./Nov. They started to appear in Cingular stores the week before Halloween.

    I don't want to sound as if I'm bashing your decision but my feeling is the Wizard would have been the better choice. Of course I know how hard it can be to convince someone to go with another device once they get their heart set on something else.
  6. #8  
    I beleive that was a un-needed attempt at telling the original poster that if he wanted to jump ship from the Treo he could leave the forums (hence the link to "log out") any time.

    Again, we don't need that sort of post.

    P.S. If I'm reading that wrong, my apologies.
  7.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by stipus
    It's the same with a GSM.
    No. Sorry bud. You obviously don't have enough experience with both networks or you wouldn't make that comment. This is pretty simple to prove to yourself. Call your CDMA phone number while your smartphone is loading a very large page. Not only does the call go right to voicemail but you won't even know until after your page is loaded. In fact, it may be a while before you are even notified because CDMA is also typically slower with SMS messages than GSM.
    Now try this with your GSM phone. The page is loading, call comes in, your page load pauses as a popup asks if you wish to take the call or continue the page load.
    Pretty simple, but an incredibly important difference.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  8.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    ...it's also missing Wifi...
    That depends on your point of view. Is WiFi really something to miss if UTMS provides 500-800 kbps everywhere these execs go rather than just a few "hotspots?"

    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    The 6515 was always scheduled to be released before the Wizard. It was due to Cingular in either Oct./Nov. They started to appear in Cingular stores the week before Halloween.
    Like I say...not here. These were the first to appear in the state.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  9. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc
    That depends on your point of view. Is WiFi really something to miss if UTMS provides 500-800 kbps everywhere these execs go rather than just a few "hotspots?"
    Agreed, if you don't need Wifi it's not important that it's missing from the device.

    The real problems are the other things I mentioned.

    -Most importantly HP's total disregard for support and failure to release OS upgrades.

    -Outdated OS.

    -The square screen and it's cause of apps becoming unusable.
  10. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc
    No. Sorry bud. You obviously don't have enough experience with both networks or you wouldn't make that comment. This is pretty simple to prove to yourself. Call your CDMA phone number while your smartphone is loading a very large page. Not only does the call go right to voicemail but you won't even know until after your page is loaded. In fact, it may be a while before you are even notified because CDMA is also typically slower with SMS messages than GSM.
    Now try this with your GSM phone. The page is loading, call comes in, your page load pauses as a popup asks if you wish to take the call or continue the page load.
    Pretty simple, but an incredibly important difference.
    Incorrect. the GSM network times out the data a bit quicker than CDMA, but thats it. The best way to verify this is to do some online streaming via ptunes and then try calling. It will fail for both cdma and gsm. Try it out.

    /v
  11.    #13  
    Sounds like we may be talking about two different things. I don't really care what the two networks do while streaming music. These executives aren't doing that. They just want their phone calls to come in, even if they are loading a web page.

    Perhaps it's possible that there's some sort of function with streaming that "tells" streaming programs to take precedence over a phone call. I don't know. That's not what they were paying me to find out. I was only concerned with the practical differences for their business uses. What I'm saying is, with GSM, when a page is loading and a call comes in, the phone call interrupts the page load and offers the option of taking the call or ignoring it. CDMA does not. Period.

    It was more important to this company to receive this popup option notifying of an incoming call than it was to continue using a CDMA network phone which was making them miss important phone calls because they were going straight to voice mail.

    Maybe for some people this wouldn't be a big deal. For us it was.
    Last edited by xpdnc; 11/13/2005 at 10:08 PM.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  12. #14  
    i'm on GSM/Cingular EDGE. i've never missed a call while downloading a webpage or email (and i get lots of phone calls, and check my email a lot too--i'm running the Seven push email client).

    on the other hand, while streaming in ptunes, my callers get sent to email.

    i'm not sure how that works -- anyone know?
  13.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    On the GSM decision, did the data plan costs come into play (versus the cheaper CDMA costs?)
    Interestingly, for their usage levels there was no appreciable difference in monthly costs. That could have been due to the corporate discount Cingular gave them.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  14.    #16  
    While the other guys love their devices so far, my own trial will have to be put on hold indefinitely because I can't find a program that will correctly transfer over my ~8000 calendar entries going back to the 90's. Some of those appointments have very detailed notes attached to them. So far, the Outlook transfer chops off random sections of long attached notes. Due to the nature of my business I can't afford to lose any part of those notes.

    In the short time I've been able to use the 6515 I have found some impressive functionality. On the other hand, there are some things that are awkward enough that I don't know if I'll be willing to put up with them. While the others may have found what they're looking for, I'm not 100% positive I have yet.
    Last edited by xpdnc; 11/13/2005 at 10:46 PM.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  15. #17  
    I've been using the HP6515 at work for testing and thus far I like it quite a bit. I'm having a heck of a time getting used to the keyboard, though. I much prefer that of the Treo 650. The keys on the HP are just a tad to stiff and small for my tastes.

    Question though - isn't the lack of persistent storage on the 6515 a bit worrisome for you? Seems like executives might be a bit more prone to waiting to charge until the last minute which could be disastrous if they've not sync'ed their devices recently...
    Last edited by Indicator; 11/14/2005 at 07:28 AM.
  16. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc
    No. Sorry bud. You obviously don't have enough experience with both networks or you wouldn't make that comment. This is pretty simple to prove to yourself. Call your CDMA phone number while your smartphone is loading a very large page. Not only does the call go right to voicemail but you won't even know until after your page is loaded. In fact, it may be a while before you are even notified because CDMA is also typically slower with SMS messages than GSM.
    No problem here...my calls come right through, as well as I get the blinking LED when emails come through in Chatter while connected through the browser.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  17. #19  
    As both a former CDMA (Sprint) and current GSM (Cingular), I've never had a phone call pushed to voicemail on GSM, as I did with CDM, while online.

    As for the decision for the 6515 over the 8125:

    1. The 6515 is WM 2003 SE if I'm not mistaken (not WM5); persistent storage
    2. Neither phone supports UTMS
    3. Size - Treo 650 is as big as I'd be willing to go, although I'd accept the additional thickness of the 8125 over the added width of the 6515
    4. Gotta love that WiFi
    5. The 6515 makes me feel like I'm holding a ping pong paddle to my head
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  18.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    5. The 6515 makes me feel like I'm holding a ping pong paddle to my head
    Heh.

    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    2. Neither phone supports UTMS
    If not, this is news to us.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions