Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    No problem here...my calls come right through, as well as I get the blinking LED when emails come through in Chatter while connected through the browser.
    That's the problem. If you've never used GSM you might not truly understand the difference. I'm not talking about just being connected to Chatter or being connected to your browser. This CDMA problem occurs during the few seconds, or minutes, your radio is actually engaged in transmitting.
    As dstrauss pointed out, the calls don't get "pushed" to voicemail with GSM. Maybe that's a better way to describe it.
    Believe me, even most of the Sprint and Verizon sales people aren't aware of this. If you call up a store right now and ask them about this I'm certain you'll get incorrect information. We demonstrated this to salespeople in stores and they were completely blown away. They had no idea. There were more than a few sales people who admitted that now that they knew why they missed so many calls they were angry with their service. I just don't think it's something they would want to teach them in training.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    I understand the addition of EVDO on CDMA phones will fix the problem with not getting the calls when downloading stuff. I don't know if it works as well as GSM.

Plus I understand Cingular is building up HSDPA, not the European style UTMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I understand the addition of EVDO on CDMA phones will fix the problem with not getting the calls when downloading stuff. I don't know if it works as well as GSM.
    This is very important to me. Can anyone else confirm this?
    http://www.cingular.com/ipaq_consumer - Quad Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE only - no UMTS. Of course, Cingular doesn't have many UMTS markets anyway, so that isn't a big issue until (and if) they actually launch UMTS. They may go direct to HSDPA in some markets anyway as noted above.

The issue of CDMA calls going to voicemail has always been irrelevant for me. It happens so infrequently as to be moot. The choice is this: Do you want to surf at 14.4 speeds (GPRS) or 56-128kbps speeds (1xRTT)? If you're doing mostly e-mail/PIM, GPRS is fine. If you want to stream shoutcast radio (for example) don't even think about trying it with a GPRS device. EDGE bridges the gap somewhat, and in some cases will exceed 1xRTT speeds - I believe it goes up to about 155kbps if you've got a Class 10 device, good connection, and low traffic.

But EVDO blows all the current (USA) GSM speeds out of the water - even Class 10 EDGE - and since EVDO is using a dedicated data channel, if the device supports it, any voice call that comes through can and will interrupt the data session.

So a CDMA phone with EVDO is likely the best of both worlds - blazing fast data speeds, and no worries about callers being sent to voicemail. I'm fairly certain the PPC6700 supports this functionality (i.e. streaming data is interrupted by a voice call and you're then asked to resume the data session after the call ends).
    I'm surprised that you would recommend that they make such a large purchase without having had a chance to try out the phone on a limited basis first.

My main concern with this phone would be the poor one-hand navigation. WM5 is a big step forward in this regard, though still not perfect.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc
    Heh.

If not, this is news to us.
    Well, I've had my eye on the iPaq 6515 as well, adn never saw a spec other than the EDGE Level 10. Something to do with Windows 2003 SE?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    No, it has to do with the fact that the 6515 doesn't have a UMTS radio. This isn't a limitation of the Windows environment - just a hardware limitation. UMTS is a WCDMA (not GSM) based technology, and it isn't widely used in the US, so there's no real advantage to having a UMTS-based device anyway. Cingular has 10-12 markets with UMTS of varying flavors, and I suspect (given the lukewarm reception it was given in those markets) they will probably move directly to HSDPA...

As you noted, the 6515 does have a Class 10 EDGE radio, which will provide nearly the max speeds of EDGE. But EDGE isn't a true 3G data technology, so you wont see anywhere near the speeds of UMTS, HSDPA or EVDO.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I'm surprised that you would recommend that they make such a large purchase without having had a chance to try out the phone on a limited basis first.
    My main concern with this phone would be the poor one-hand navigation. WM5 is a big step forward in this regard, though still not perfect.
    Well, it met all of their requirements. They're all happy. I'm the only one not too thrilled at this point. And that's not necessarily because of the device--I just need to find a program that will preserve all of my appt notes.

On the other point, I used it one-handed as much as I could just to compare with the 650. I found I could do several things with it one-handed, just not as easily as with the Treo. The limiting factor for one-handed use for me is simply the keyboard. The characters are way too small and there isn't enough kb lighting. I end up having to hold the thing with two hands while I try to make out the small characters. I'm going to have to memorize the keys, particularly things like the apostrophe, period, comma, etc. It's very difficult to tell them apart. It's so bizarre that someone actually decided it was a good idea to make the characters this small.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    No, it has to do with the fact that the 6515 doesn't have a UMTS radio. This isn't a limitation of the Windows environment - just a hardware limitation. UMTS is a WCDMA (not GSM) based technology, and it isn't widely used in the US, so there's no real advantage to having a UMTS-based device anyway. Cingular has 10-12 markets with UMTS of varying flavors, and I suspect (given the lukewarm reception it was given in those markets) they will probably move directly to HSDPA...

As you noted, the 6515 does have a Class 10 EDGE radio, which will provide nearly the max speeds of EDGE. But EDGE isn't a true 3G data technology, so you wont see anywhere near the speeds of UMTS, HSDPA or EVDO.
    Personal experience only, but EDGE on my Treo 650 was a little faster than Vision on the Sprint Treo 650 (www.dslreports.com/mpseed) by about 20-25kbs. This could just be a location/service difference, but I experienced it in Dallas as well as out in the wilderness.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    But with Sprint if you have subscribe to Vision and have a EVDO capable phone in an EVDO area, you will get EVDO for free.
    Why would you buy 6515s when the 6715 is already in the box and ready for release after the first of the year?
  12.    #32  
    Many reasons, but the main ones are because no one needs WiFi and they aren't willing to give up the SDIO slot where they'll be using 4GB's. Who knows how long, if ever, mini SD's will reach that capacity. Pretty simple decision for them.
    Newer doesn't mean better, anyway. Just look at Palm, let alone the PPC world.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I had the Treo 650 and just recently as of last weekend switched to the 6515. From what you are saying and what the users of the device are not going to be as concerned about the square screen. It comes into play if you are playing games, mostly, and certain apps. I wanted a phone that was also a PDA, and as much as I loved my 650, the web browser just bothered me. I miss my Treo 650 every day for the easy stuff that it did but I use my web browser all day, its very important to me. Oh well, maybe the 700 w will be the perfect device!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12