1.    #1  
    my 600 is about shot, that's fine after two years, but the 650 bluetooth's SO WEAK and there's no memory in it.

So, for $150 after rebate I can get a Blackberry 7105T at the T-Mo store.

Somebody talk me out of it, please.
    Because I said so?
    I'm back!
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Margolis
    my 600 is about shot, that's fine after two years, but the 650 bluetooth's SO WEAK and there's no memory in it.

Cause the T650 is better? Oh, and the BB looks like crap? Do these help?
    Honestly, if the Blackberry does everything you want it to, and you think the form factor is fine, and you don't need to run PalmOS applications, then you SHOULD get a blackberry.

On the other hand, if you're answering "no" to these questions, then a Treo650 sound like a good idea to me.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    It depends how important email is to you and the "push" email feature that blackberry has. Blackberry beats the Treo 650 hands down when it comes to email, Treo 650 does a little of everything "just ok" it doesn't do anything exceptionally well.
    Like this is relevant to this forum... but what the hell..

Double-check your prices on data and BES, it can cost a lot of money for Blackberry connectivity, plus very few applications.. If you're a strictly business-use person, then the BB is likely better. If you like to work and play, the Treo tromps the BB, no question.
    Because its a CrackBerry?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Please get a crapberry & then we don't have to see you on these forums again. We don't need your kind. ;-)
    I enjoy the loads of app available for my palm. there always seems to be something to better tailor the unit towards myself. the bb as very limited selection of apps and that is one reason why i have the palm and not the bb
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Please get a crapberry & then we don't have to see you on these forums again. We don't need your kind. ;-)
    This is the sort of attitude that does not belong here.

Mike - If your decision to go with Blackberry is because of email requirements, can you wait a few months? Palm posted on its website in the last few days that Blackberry Connect would be available in "early 2006". So you could upgrade your hardware and get the email functionality you need.

I am in a similar situation. My company offers push email only thru its Blackberry server. I have a Cingular Rube Goldberg push email solution working now, but it is not exactly reliable.

As you may know, RIM is in a fight with NTP over money. NTP says that RIM infringed on NTP patents and wants a large one time settlement $450M plus ongoing licensing fees. RIM apparently has conceded that NTP is at least partially correct re infringement because they agreed to the $450M settlement thinking that would end the matter. NTP subsequently raised the issue of ongoing licensing and RIM said no way. Originally NTP claimed 18 (I think) patent violations. Most of those have been thrown out by the courts. But now there is a question of whether the remaining NTP patents are valid. The whole thing could become moot if the patent office rules in RIM's favor.

So RIM is protected from any financial penalties until the issue is settled which could take a while. NTP is trying to get an injunction to stop RIM from doing business in the US. RIM is based in Canada. Even if the injunction is upheld, it would mean that RIM would be force to the bargaining table again or be forced to pay the $450M immediately leaving the licensing question to be settled. Bottom line is RIM is not going away any time soon as I have seen rumored here in several threads.

Don't take everything I say as gospel. I am relating it as I think it is but I am no expert.

Here is the latest chapter in the soap opera:

Judge To Review RIM-NTP Settlement

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones) - The ongoing patent dispute between Research In Motion Ltd. and NTP Inc. took another turn Wednesday, when a federal judge said he would review the disputed $450 million settlement between the companies.

U.S. District Judge James Spencer said he would review whether the settlement deal can be enforced, and then decide whether or not to go through with an injunction against RIM. Spencer told a hearing in Richmond, Va. that would not likely delay the case, as it is being reviewed by the U.S. Patent Office.

The settlement stems from a patent-infringement lawsuit filed by NTP against RIM. NTP alleges RIM violated technology-license patents related to RIM's popular BlackBerry wireless device. The two companies reached a financial settlement in March.

On Oct. 26, the U.S. Supreme Court denied a RIM request to suspend a lower court's ruling against the company in the suit.

RIM shares gave up $1.73, or 2.7%, to trade at $62.06 following Spencer's decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    This is the sort of attitude that does not belong here.
    He was joking...hence the smiley. Lighten up.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I currently have a BlackBerry, and I can't wait to swap it for something else. The 3rd party software support just ain't there. If you want to only do e-mail, it's fine, but for anything beyond that, forget it.

I am still on the fence between a 650 and a PPC6600 or PPC6700 (if buying today, it'd be the 650) - but either is going to beat the crap out of a blackberry, in my opinion.

As I said, I have a BB, and what is so great about "push e-mail"? I guess I am missing something, but why is that supposed to be better than letting an e-mail app go check your mail every X number of minutes?
    Quote Originally Posted by rctoyguy
    I currently have a BlackBerry, and I can't wait to swap it for something else. The 3rd party software support just ain't there. If you want to only do e-mail, it's fine, but for anything beyond that, forget it.

I am still on the fence between a 650 and a PPC6600 or PPC6700 (if buying today, it'd be the 650) - but either is going to beat the crap out of a blackberry, in my opinion.

As I said, I have a BB, and what is so great about "push e-mail"? I guess I am missing something, but why is that supposed to be better than letting an e-mail app go check your mail every X number of minutes?
    I suppose some people use email like a chat program, so they need push. I do not use email that way, so VersaMail is fine with me.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blee4
    It depends how important email is to you and the "push" email feature that blackberry has. Blackberry beats the Treo 650 hands down when it comes to email, Treo 650 does a little of everything "just ok" it doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

Blee4 -

If you use Chatter on the 650, it blows away the standard BB functionality. The only way BB comes close to Chatter is if you have a BES server, which costs north of $1,500 last time I checked. Oh yea, you also have to host your own email on Exchange (more $). The push functionality with Chatter on an IMAP/Idle email provider is quicker than BB on a BES server, and involves no desktop redirector. You can file messages to offline folders, constant stream of updates, non-arrogant developer wh answers questions, 12 online accts simultaneously...

You get the picture, buying a BB over the T650 for push email alone is a bad decision when taking into account Chatter.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Latest update on the RIM situation:

From Business Week -

NOVEMBER 10, 2005

News Analysis
    By Roger O. Crockett

Nasty Thorns in the BlackBerry Patch
    Research in Motion may have to cut a check for up to $1 billion to settle its patent suit with NTP

Things are looking dicey for Research in Motion (RIM), maker of the cultish BlackBerry e-mail device. On Nov. 9, U.S. District Court Judge James Spencer made it clear he was growing increasingly impatient with the protracted battle between RIM and tiny tech investor NTP, which alleges that RIM's wireless e-mail technology infringes on several of its patents. He also said he was "very unlikely" to accede to RIM's request that he postpone the case to give the U.S. Patent & Trademark office a chance to weigh in: "I've spent enough of my life and time on NTP and RIM."

With Spencer pushing to wrap things up, a settlement seems increasingly likely. And it could be a great deal higher than the $450 million RIM and NTP agreed to before talks collapsed in June. Some analysts say RIM could end up cutting a check for $1 billion.

DONE DEAL? That's a lot of BlackBerrys -- about 3 million for anyone who's counting. And it will be especially painful for rim to pay out in the face of stiffening competition. But the Canadian company may have little choice. Barring a settlement, NTP has asked the judge to shut down RIM's U.S. operation.

"NTP is in the driver's seat," says James Hurst, a patent litigator at Chicago law firm Winston & Strawn. "The validity of RIM's entire business is arguably at stake."

What's RIM's next move? Co-CEO James Balsillie hopes to convince the judge to enforce the aborted $450 million settlement. NTP says the agreement was never finalized. If the judge agrees, analysts expect him to give the two sides a couple of weeks to work out a new deal.

KEENER COMPETITION. An emboldened NTP would have the leverage to ask for more money -- a sum that could be $600 million to $1 billion, plus an 8% to 9% royalty, according to Citigroup Global Markets. With that kind of cash in its sights, NTP might figure, "Why press for pennies?" says Citigroup analyst Daryl Armstrong.

Could RIM afford to pay that much? Sure. The company has some $1.2 billion in cash and is expected to earn about $500 million on $2 billion this fiscal year. But RIM is entering a difficult period in its young life.

Its popular new BlackBerry aside, RIM is under fierce attack (see BW Online, 11/10/05, "The Juicy New BlackBerry"). Citigroup's Armstrong says RIM's partners worry about its fate -- opening the door for competitive vendors such as Microsoft (MSFT ), Intellisync (SYNC ), and Palm (PALM ) to steal business. Customers such as Cingular Wireless say they're loyal. But that could change.

BEST BEHAVIOR. RIM has an additional worry. Legal experts suggest that if the company ends up settling for more than the $450 million it announced in June, shareholder lawsuits are a given. Disgruntled investors who saw their stock jump on news of a supposed settlement -- only to watch it slide 21%, to $61.22, since -- will likely bring class actions.

No doubt, Balsillie understands all this. Bet on him to swallow his pride and play nice with the judge.
    is it just me or does the Blackberry look like a little kid's toy?
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    is it just me or does the Blackberry look like a little kid's toy?
    Maybe as long as you mean a toy as in a Tonka Truck. My BB can't be broken despite my many clumsy attempts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Margolis

Can't.
    I've had a 7100t for 8 months and it does what it claims to do exceptionally well. I also took a good deal from T-Mo when I got mine. You'd find it to be remarkably stable, highly reliable, super light, and even more one-handable than the Treo. It is limited in that, like all BBs, it does little or no multimedia and, although it comes loaded with a suite of software, if you need or want extras, there are very few software options available from BB or anyone else. Fully-functional mail, SMS, phone, browser, bluetooth, and speakerphone are my priorities, and this limited little gem covers all these quite nicely. I also love the elegant TrueType software and the jog wheel like my 270 had (part of what RIM sued Handspring over).

There isn't a whole lot out there that is exciting, but there are a lot on the early-2006 horizon. You may want to look at this as a good deal that allows you minimal interruption in your T-M service and a few months for you to wait for that new Treo, BB, iPAQ or Nokia. You should be able to get a good part of that $150 back on eBay when you're ready for your next move.

BTW, what is the difference between the 7100 and 7105 models? I only see that the phone symbol keys appear to be a little larger -which is very good- but I don't see anything else. Good luck with your choice.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.