1.    #1  
    All,
    I'd really like to ready a good comparison review to the wonderful OS we all have on our T650 and the new version of S60 that will be onboard the next Nokia launch E-series.

E61 and E70 looks an interesting Treo Killer. Surely they'll be better from the phone point of view (volumes level/quality, BT implementation....) but what about the PDA part?

What do you think? Did you try a Nokia E-series? Do you have a link?
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    All,
    I'd really like to ready a good comparison review to the wonderful OS we all have on our T650 and the new version of S60 that will be onboard the next Nokia launch E-series.

E61 and E70 looks an interesting Treo Killer. Surely they'll be better from the phone point of view (volumes level/quality, BT implementation....) but what about the PDA part?

What do you think? Did you try a Nokia E-series? Do you have a link?
    Vittore, I'm also very interested in these newly-announced devices, but I'm not sure that Series 60 will satisfy many of us that expect robust PIM applications. I'm no expert on this, but Series 60 seems to be mostly a smartphone platform, while Series 80 is a communicator (Nokia 9300 and 9500) one. At least that's the way Nokia and Symbian have developed these to date; but, series 60 may have more possibilities and the new devices may open those. I read somewhere that Borland had been signed up to write something or other to enable this. Series 60 already has PIM functionalities, including nice built-in applications -which is the Symbian way. But I haven't seen any very powerful ones, perhaps because most available devices have smaller screens and are aimed at general rather than business users. It'll be fun to see what develops next year.

You may have these, but here are a couple of links I use: http://www.series60.com/ and http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    But I haven't seen any very powerful ones, perhaps because most available devices have smaller screens and are aimed at general rather than business users. It'll be fun to see what develops next year.

You may have these, but here are a couple of links I use: http://www.series60.com/ and http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/
    Please, define "powerfull applications" what palm can do that is difficult for symbian ?

I own a p800 (since 3 years) that is very roboust (just a couple of reset in 3 yers) and powerfull true smartphone, I own also a nokia 6630 that I don't consider a true smartphone but has a robust edge support and is a umts device too, and last but not least has opera to browse the web.

At the moment the only thing that treo can do better than the symbian devices (UIQ and s60/90) is crashing and hanging.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    Please, define "powerfull applications" what palm can do that is difficult for symbian ?

I own a p800 (since 3 years) that is very roboust (just a couple of reset in 3 yers) and powerfull true smartphone, I own also a nokia 6630 that I don't consider a true smartphone but has a robust edge support and is a umts device too, and last but not least has opera to browse the web.

At the moment the only thing that treo can do better than the symbian devices (UIQ and s60/90) is crashing and hanging.
    Probably you are right about stability!!

I read quite a lot about in these days about Symbian. UIQ is very powerfull, but I'm interested in Series 60 that I found to be not so powerfull like PalmOS as a PDA. For instance I didn't find any apps able to sync with Microsoft Money or Quicken. Then nothing comparable to DocumentsToGo.

I found also some wonderful features about that OS expecially for the Phone aspect. Do you have a link with a good and extensive review of the OS? I didn't find detailed info about PIM, Message client, e-mail client, Multimedia reader and so on.

Even if then I use my Treo 90% without the styli, I'm sccared to move to an OS with no touch screen, that helps you in browsing, in editing excell files and so on.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Vittore, I'm also very interested in these newly-announced devices, but I'm not sure that Series 60 will satisfy many of us that expect robust PIM applications. I'm no expert on this, but Series 60 seems to be mostly a smartphone platform, while Series 80 is a communicator (Nokia 9300 and 9500) one. At least that's the way Nokia and Symbian have developed these to date; but, series 60 may have more possibilities and the new devices may open those. I read somewhere that Borland had been signed up to write something or other to enable this. Series 60 already has PIM functionalities, including nice built-in applications -which is the Symbian way. But I haven't seen any very powerful ones, perhaps because most available devices have smaller screens and are aimed at general rather than business users. It'll be fun to see what develops next year.

I totally agree with all what you said.
    E70 has a wondefull features set, really amazing. I'd like to discover if Series 60 3rd edition (developed mostly, I think, for Nokia E-series) will add new features.

A stable Linux Multitasking PalmOS onboard a touch screen enabled Nokia E70 (keeping the Nokia Phone part) would be a dream!!! Isn't ir???

Let's keep posting URLs with good review about S60 here. OK?
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    Then nothing comparable to DocumentsToGo.
    I' think that Document To Go is comparable with Document To Go

Is available for palmos, uiq, s60/90 ant for the nokia comuncators too.

http://www.dataviz.com/solutions/ent...ync/index.html

I found also some wonderful features about that OS expecially for the Phone aspect.
    I'm an UIQ "lover" but s60 is a good OS too.

UIQ is powerful at least as palmos (IMHO by far better) and is suited for complex operation and business use

s60/s90 is less powerful but the new devices are very good.

I'm a pen user but I appreciate a lot the one handed use of s60 devices.

Another point in favor of s60 is the presence of a newer version of opera that is better & quicker than the UIQ version (and is 100 times quicker than blazer) operamini is also well supported and I use it often even if I the native version installed.

You can find a lot of reviews (from very experienced users) in our site www.newsmobile.it and you can ask question in the newsmobile forum too.

Other info can be reached in www.my-symbian.com they have an extensive download section, a good forum, and some reviews just like treocentral but for symbian devices.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    I' think that Document To Go is comparable with Document To Go

Is available for palmos, uiq, s60/90 ant for the nokia comuncators too.

http://www.dataviz.com/solutions/ent...ync/index.html
    My friend, unfortunately DocsToGo is only avaliable at the moment for UIQ ans S80.

You can find a lot of reviews (from very experienced users) in our site www.newsmobile.it and you can ask question in the newsmobile forum too.

Other info can be reached in www.my-symbian.com they have an extensive download section, a good forum, and some reviews just like treocentral but for symbian devices.
    Thanks for the links, I'll surely go and check.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    [QUOTE=vittogn]My friend, unfortunately DocsToGo is only avaliable at the moment for UIQ ans S80.

Be shure that when the E series will be out, DTG for s60/90 will be out too.
  9.    #9  
    [QUOTE=The Solutor]
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    My friend, unfortunately DocsToGo is only avaliable at the moment for UIQ ans S80.

Be shure that when the E series will be out, DTG for s60/90 will be out too.
    I really hope so!! Dataviz is one of the best Sw House for Palm, I hope it will became one for Symbian as well.
    Can you ensure me that I'll find also a Microsoft Money companion for E70?
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    I really hope so!! Dataviz is one of the best Sw House for Palm
    Is one of the best for symbian too, Im using doc to go om my p800 with satisfaction.

Can you ensure me that I'll find also a Microsoft Money companion for E70?
    I' don't like MS things, and I've never used MSMoney maybe this can help ?

http://my-symbian.com/7650/applicati...uto=740&faq=10
    Great thread. Let's keep it going. I am thinking of getting a SE P990i
    I'm also veeeery interested in the Nokia E70. If the new implementation of the OS is good, it will surely be a big competitor for all future Treos (reading the specifications I'd dare to say that it's already better than the Treo650).

Anybody knows when it'll be out?
    try www.mobilebee.com. I am getting a SE P990. Just a 45 days more. )))))))))