Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1. OJM
    I have been a Treo user since two days after the T300 was released. I have owned the 300, 600 and 650. I felt that the 650's flaws were nearly unforgivable (resets, memory, poor bluetooth). Nevertheless, the competition was so poor that I kept the 650 and tried to make the best of it (I tried the PPC 6600 and dumped it in 2 days - horrid). Well, I made the jump to the PPC6700 5 days ago. I still own my 650 and could return the 6700 - but decided that the 650 will be going on eBay this weekend. As for the Treo700, I think it shows potential but it won't be out for Sprint for 6-8 months. Furthermore, it still lacks some of the features that the 6700 has...and the 6700 is available now.

Here are a few Pros and Cons based on my experience with both devices. BTW - I think I am more qualified to speak about "one-handedness" than most Treo users. I have a 75 m inute commute to work (each way) and I stand virtually the whole time on a subway. Needless to say, one hand is used to hold onto something to keep me from falling over!

Where the 6700 beats the 650:
    *Memory and stability (these were the 650's biggest flaws IMO)

*EV-DO. I am blown away by the speed (my test on showed 884 kb/s in Newark, NJ). Unfortunately, EV-DO is not widespread in NYC where I live. Regardless, the speed is only slightly slower than I get via wifi. Sprint's charge for this service is a great deal.

*Seamless integration with MS Office (great for me as I edit Word docs regularly)

*Big screen (of nearly the same quality/brightness as the Treo. I keep mine a the second lowest brightness setting and it is perfect. Screen size makes the biggest difference when surfing, watching movies and typing Word docs)

*Great keyboard (but the color contrast between the backlight and key color is mediocre - only a big deal during the learning curve)

*Multitasking

*Wifi (didn't think this would be a big benefit - I was wrong. Very convenient and the 6700 will switch over to wifi automatyically when available. It will also turn off wifi automatically if no signal is detected for a defined period.

*Amazing Bluetooth (far better range, clarity, and functionality)

*Almost all the needed accessories included in the box (save screen protector)

*One-handedness in the new OS is a huge improvement over the 6600 and other PPCs I tried. I have been testing Voice Command and think it solves this issue entirely - but it isn't a necessity.

*mini USB power/sync connector is AWESOME. I can buy spare sync/charge cables for $4.95!

Where the 650 beats the 6700:
    *One-handedness. No shocker - this is one of the Treo's only remaining claims to glory. Rightfully so, it is the best (A++). That having been said, the 6700 is fine (B+) and I have used the stylus only twice in 5 days (both time on the first day).

*Aesthetics (the Treo is as good looking as a geek device can be, the 6700 is more utilitarian. The build quality is similar, but the Treo's finish is much nicer)

*Battery life (the Treo's battery is much larger - and based on my use of both devices - lasts about 25% longer than the 6700. That having been said, I always charge my devices at night and the 6700 has never dipped below 55% after a day of heavy use. (heavy data and 30 to 45 minutes of phone use/day)

*Loads of great Palm programs and hacks (this is a huge benefit)

*Geek factor. The Treo's popularity makes it more socially acceptable - dare I say chic? Nah! Still, the PPC loses in the sexy department.

*Treocentral Discussion Boards! (IMO - this board is what makes Treos great devices. Palm has never released a "great Treo". The information available here has allowed the Treo users to make a good device great. I have yet to find a discussion board for PPCs that is as helpful to the regular device user. They all seem to have more programming expertise and often talk above folks like me.

Push:
    *Size/weight. The Treo is a tad longer/wider - but a tiny bit less thick. Also, the Treo's rounded edges give the illusion it is smaller. The 6700 is tiny compared to other PPC's with keyboards - but boxy. Both a very "pocketable".

*Phone: The 650 wins on dialing ease - it is obviously easier to use a keyboard which is always exposed! On the other hand, the 6700's sound quality and microphone are significantly better than the 650.

*Reception. I get good reception with both.

Conclusion:
    Overall, the size/weight is a push and the 6700 blows away the 650 and 700 when it comes to features. It also costs the same. It is hard to imagine it having much more than it does. Give it slightly better aesthetics, shave a quarter inch off the thickness and 1oz off of the weight and we would have GEEK NIRVANA! I am not ruling out the switch back to the Treo at some point in the future - but not for the 700. Again, the best thing about the Treo is this site and the folks who contribute to these boards! That is why I will still visit often....
    Last edited by OJM; 11/03/2005 at 11:49 AM.
    OJMBrooklyn

SPHi300>T300>T600>T650>PPC6700>700WX
    Isn't the 6700 basically the HTC Wizard with an antennae (why can't CDMA ditch the antennae like GSM does - oops, that's another thread).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  3. OJM
    The 6700 (HTC Apache) is very similar to the Wizard. I have tried both and they are similar in size (save the antenna) but different animals on the inside. You can see the many other posts for the particulars. The big benefit over the Wizard is (1) EV-DO is about 3 or 4 times faster than EDGE and (2) the 6700 has a faster processor. Also, Sprint's data costs are way cheaper. As for the antenna, I would prefer it didn't have one...but assume HTC put it there because it is needed for the 3 radios.
    OJMBrooklyn

Quote Originally Posted by OJM
    I have yet to find a discussion board for PPCs that is as helpful to the regular device user.
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/f...s=&forumid=174
    great review. looks like ppc is getting better.
  6. OJM

I visit the 6700 board on PDAPhonehome often - but it really isn't as informative nd user friendly as the Treocentral board. Many of those on the board at PDAPhonehome are very experienced with PPC and seem to be speaking in code (sometimes literally)! That having been said, I continue to visit the board and assume I will get more out of the posts once I am more familiar with the basics of the OS.
    OJMBrooklyn

I just got this phone yesterday and it is growing on me... It took a while to adjust to it. The only thing that is really bugging me is the lack of alerts... I need a program like butler... one little ring for a text message or voicemail is not enough. And then there is the lack of picture mail... hopefully a upgrade will take care of that sooner or later.
    Thanks for the review! You've put me over the edge - now to find a good home for my Treo...
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I visit the 6700 board on PDAPhonehome often - but it really isn't as informative nd user friendly as the Treocentral board. Many of those on the board at PDAPhonehome are very experienced with PPC and seem to be speaking in code (sometimes literally)! That having been said, I continue to visit the board and assume I will get more out of the posts once I am more familiar with the basics of the OS.
    Your assumption is correct - stay with them. I have been a regular on both boards for several years and I find the participants at PDAPhoneHome to be more technically savvy and neighborly.
  10. OJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Your assumption is correct - stay with them. I have been a regular on both boards for several years and I find the participants at PDAPhoneHome to be more technically savvy and neighborly.

Thanks! I spent some time again on PDAPhonehome today and am finding it helpful.
    OJMBrooklyn

For fun - next time you're in a busy airport terminal (not near the gate, that's cheating), listen to the sound of all the Treos soft resetting. It's like the soft sound of crickets on a hot mid-summer's night.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  12. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    *EV-DO. I am blown away by the speed (my test on showed 884 kb/s in Newark, NJ). Unfortunately, EV-DO is not widespread in NYC where I live.
    This must be a Sprint issue. EVDO coverage on Verizon is outstanding. I live in NJ and work in Manhattan. I get EVDO coverage 95% of the time. I too switched to a PPC - Samsung i730 and love it.

One other advantage of both the Treo and i730 is the SD slot. I am not a big fan of the mini SD (more expensive, smaller capacity, harder to find etc.).
    You mean GSM Treo 650's soft resetting. The CDMA devices (which run 5.4.8 and lack the faulty SIM tray) don't suffer the same fate nearly as often!
    You mean GSM Treo 650's soft resetting. The CDMA devices (which run 5.4.8 and lack the faulty SIM tray) don't suffer the same fate nearly as often!
    Probably quite true. I was walking through the airport yesterday and all the Treo reset tones going off around me struck me as humorous.
    From looking through these 6700 threads, it is starting to gain momentum! Lookout Palm!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    BTW, nice review OJM!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    It is nice to see fair opinions of osme of the Windows devices being shared here recently. I still see the Treo as being the better deviceas far as form factor is concerned, but I just needed more...

Someone mentioned the Wizard vs. Apache/6700 and I can tell you that the 6700 is the more capable of the two devices. I am typing this from my Wizard so I am not at all biased! The Apache is faster on the internet and seems to have a better keyboard. However, that isn't the end of it for all of us. If you are choosing based only on device specs, the 6700 is better.
    Well, for some of us (Cingular; T-Mobile; Verizon) the 6700 is not an option. Besides, I've always craved a cell phone WITHOUT an antennae.

RANT ON:
    And by the way, for all those folks over the last two years that told me it couldn't be done and that I was totally crazy for DEMANDING PDA/Smartphone manufacturer's drop the custom snap together, lose pin, weird pop on pop off connectors - THANK YOU HTC FOR THE SIMPLE MINI-USB PLUG.
    RANT OFF
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Well too bad its a miniSD card. I already switched my digicam and waterproof mp3 player to SD card competible.
  20. OJM
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Well too bad its a miniSD card. I already switched my digicam and waterproof mp3 player to SD card competible.
    I agree - it does stink to have to buy a new card - but my 1gb mini sd card came with an adapter so it can be used in an sd card slot. The price wasn't that bad either ($65.00)
    OJMBrooklyn

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast