Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Really,,,, did he say why?
    Probably because it was too buggy and hard to use as a phone. The guy who owns and runs PCSIntel did the same thing. The 650 is just a much, much better phone, though it can't compete with the PDA of the 6700.
    That is why I am still sticking with the PPC-6600 until at least next spring....giving a chance for a few other options to come out and for updates for the newly released WM05 to be available.
    Where did shadow mention switching back? I don't see it in his forums.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    That is why I am still sticking with the PPC-6600 until at least next spring....giving a chance for a few other options to come out and for updates for the newly released WM05 to be available.
    And why I'm sticking with my 650 until I see how many bugs and phone problems get fixed in the firmware update. Too bad it's been pushed back again. Looking like February now.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I've gone back to the 650 myself from the 6700.
    As far as the quickest search effort for phone #'s or contacts beside MS Voice Command, would be the default contacts program. Simply bring up contacts and with the keyboard start to type first initial, space, last initial and you quickly have your name. Scroll with joystick, push and you're dialing. By the way, Shadomite, I can't believe you returned to the treo. Even though I still have mine, when I do pull it out and use it I feel I'm steppin back into time. Even with always exposed keyboard. The 6700 does spoil you with its features. The bluetooth activation of so many of the phones functions, like dialing, showing contact names, time and web sites not to mention playing music via win. media player is too cool. You do have to apply a resistry hack to do this but that was simple. Also the headset has to work with it , since not all do as far as activation to turn on phone. And you don't have to hollar As some have implied. To me I couldn't go back. I use the 650 as a backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    And why I'm sticking with my 650 until I see how many bugs and phone problems get fixed in the firmware update. Too bad it's been pushed back again. Looking like February now.
    Palm needs a hardware update. As much as I like the 650, time for a more advanced 700p for 2006 and beyond.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by tsd 1
    As far as the quickest search effort for phone #'s or contacts beside MS Voice Command, would be the default contacts program. Simply bring up contacts and with the keyboard start to type first initial, space, last initial and you quickly have your name. Scroll with joystick, push and you're dialing. By the way, Shadomite, I can't believe you returned to the treo. Even though I still have mine, when I do pull it out and use it I feel I'm steppin back into time. Even with always exposed keyboard. The 6700 does spoil you with its features. The bluetooth activation of so many of the phones functions, like dialing, showing contact names, time and web sites not to mention playing music via win. media player is too cool. You do have to apply a resistry hack to do this but that was simple. Also the headset has to work with it , since not all do as far as activation to turn on phone. And you don't have to hollar As some have implied. To me I couldn't go back. I use the 650 as a backup.
    Form factor, the one thing that will keep many people going back to the Treo. The 6700 and it's GSM cousins are completely different. Pull-out keyboards and I think the phone pad is on the screen. Treo is simpler and so is Palm OS.

Feature-wise, yes Treo is lacking the latest standards, and that's the reason I may be moving, at least part time. I still can't get rid of my Treo. If Palm puts wi-fi, BT 1.2, and push email on it's next Palm OS Treo, it would kill any WM5 device for me. Because WM5 is a bit cumbersome.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    700p should be out in about a month or so. EV-DO, possibly WiFi, new OS, BT 1.2, etc. The 650 already has push email with Chatter. The 6700 doesn't even have that.
    Chatter is by an outside developer. Palm should do this themselves. WM5 is able to, why not Palm OS? If Palm wants to compete, they can't let developers fill in their oversights. Yes, the 6700 should have push email because the GSM version does.

The 6700 does not have push email. It also requires extra software and services to work, and even then, it's only pseudo-push. You have to pay for a service to send an SMS to your phone when you get an email that forces your phone to perform and ActiveSync to retrieve your email. Lame.

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...threadid=61877
    The 6700 (and all WM5 devices when used in conjunction with MS Exchange 2003 SP2) will support true push e-mail *and* PIM sync when the Messaging and Security Pack is released in Q1 2006. This is a value-add feature of Exchange Server and is not a pay service.

Presently you can get pseudo-push via SMS and Exchange Server using Exchange Always Up To Date. This is *not* a fee-based service but is again a feature of Exchange Server. Obviously you need to have access to an Exchange server and an SMS plan to cover the incoming trigger-SMS's. I use this now while waiting and it works great.

I loved Chatter and miss it a lot, but at least I now have OTA sync of not only mail and calendar, but also tasks and contacts which Exchange Activesync on the Treo does not support. Also Activesync doesn't cause my 6700 to reset itself.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Maybe I don't really need push email then. Most of my email is web based but some can be downloaded to Outlook. I'm not sure push is required to retrieve it since I can just answer it while online. Can someone please inform me when push email is really needed? Is it when you're not connected, but still need notification of new email? But in order to answer it, do you need to connect? See, I'm still tied to my laptop so I often do just go online to check and answer email. So I'm still inexperienced getting email by PDA. Forgive me for being uninformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Maybe I don't really need push email then. Most of my email is web based but some can be downloaded to Outlook. I'm not sure push is required to retrieve it since I can just answer it while online. Can someone please inform me when push email is really needed? Is it when you're not connected, but still need notification of new email? But in order to answer it, do you need to connect? See, I'm still tied to my laptop so I often do just go online to check and answer email. So I'm still inexperienced getting email by PDA. Forgive me for being uninformed.
    It's needed if you are either a world leader or are extremely impatient.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    If you don't want to have some kludged setup where SMS messages are sent to your phone which trigger it to retrieve email, then you want push email. With Chatter on the 650, it works in the background and informs you when you get an email. You don't have to be connected to the internet for it to work.
    You don't have to be connected to the internet for it to work.
    Chatter is great, but not magical...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    It's needed if you are either a world leader or are extremely impatient.
    LOL...ok I know Im not a world leader.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Chatter is by an outside developer. Palm should do this themselves. WM5 is able to, why not Palm OS? If Palm wants to compete, they can't let developers fill in their oversights. Yes, the 6700 should have push email because the GSM version does.
    The problem here though is that you wouldn't have 1/100th the upgrades or improvements or tweaks that you would have if this was built in the POS.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Ok, it seems like you don't have to be connected to the internet.

It's more than your 6700 can do and would sell a TON if it were available for WM5.
    It's more than your 6700 can do and would sell a TON if it were available for WM5.
    No kidding. And I'd be first in line.

But it *does* require you to be connected to the Internet which was all I was saying.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast