Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Tem is right. I think that the memory leaking away was caused by PIE.
    I did find out that I still should keep 8 megs free internal so that activesync dosent slow down. I haven't found out if active sync is the OTA sync and am confused about how the PPC syncs because I read that a user hard reset ant tried to restore but found it to be a huge pain unlike palms restore.
    Could someone tell me how is PPC sync different and how is a restore different. And when I send and receive email with the handheld email client will it try to sync the contacts and calendar OTA?

Thanks, to show my appreciation I will paypal donations to www.TemDontKnowCrapBoutPPCs.com
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 11/21/2005 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Could someone tell me how is PPC sync different and how is a restore different.
    I much prefer Activesync to Palm Hotsync. It syncs continuously while the device is connected to your PC - no need to remember to HotSync before disconnecting. I've read of people who've had bad experiences with it, but mine have been almost all positive. I've never had AS duplicate data, for example, while I've had it happen with HotSync many times. Also, if you want additional Outlook data sync'd via HotSync you need to buy advanced conduits like PocketMirror. AS does all possible (fields that exist on the device) data out of the box - with version 4.1 even including contact photos.
    And when I send and receive email with the handheld email client will it try to sync the contacts and calendar OTA?
    Only if you are syncing to an Exchange server and have it configured to use Exchange Activesync. Even then you can tell AS to sync contacts, tasks, and calendar items directly to your PC rather than with the server if you want.
    Thanks, to show my appreciation I will paypal donations to www.TemDontKnowCrapBoutPPCs.com
    LOL! Just don't hate me if you end up not liking it!
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    LOL! Just don't hate me if you end up not liking it!
    Between the dozen reviews I've now read, the info at pdaphone home and info here at TC I think I'll be able to make the most of the 14 day trial.

I've read the Chatter PPC info (to bad ), googled PPC 6700 email client, searched software sites for 3rd party PPC email and there isn't much info on this other than (good, 2003 Exchange, an upcoming patch and good-like products).

All I want to do is quicksync gmail and fastmail every 15 minutes. I don't need push. Is this currently possible out of the box?
  5. OJM
    All I want to do is quicksync gmail and fastmail every 15 minutes. I don't need push. Is this currently possible out of the box?
    I have had no luck getting pocket outlook to sync with my GMail. Others on the PPC-6700 board have been able to do so - I must be doing something wrong. Anyone else here using the PPC-6700 and Gmail. If so, can you post your settings (I know that T'Central isn't really the place for this - but I was nice enough to start this thread ).

Thanks

PS I have been Treo-less for about 1 month and am still having no buyer's remorse. I think that the 6700s minor issues will be resolved via the ROM update in January. The device rocks - even "as is"....
    OJMBrooklyn

SPHi300>T300>T600>T650>PPC6700>700WX
    I've read the Chatter PPC info (to bad ), googled PPC 6700 email client, searched software sites for 3rd party PPC email and there isn't much info on this other than (good, 2003 Exchange, an upcoming patch and good-like products).

The loss of Chatter has been the hardest part of making the switch. Having said that, the built-in mail client is more than adequate for basic over-the-air e-mail retrieval and management for POP and IMAP accounts. Pocket Outlook is fine (and free).

The only other mail clients I'd consider are:

WebIS Mail, which is currently in beta and isn't entirely WM5 compatible
    ProfiMail, from Lonely Cat Games. This is a largely unknown e-mail client that is really good at displaying HTML e-mail messages, but has a very "smart-phony" interface. I haven't tried this on WM5 yet.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I see many complaining bout the difficulty in dialing a quick phone number or enter a few quick letters since the on screen dialer is a tad small. Is this an issue for you and if so wouldn't VC or a bigger on screen numeric and qwerty pad such as TouchKeyboard or typango solve this?
    I see many complaining bout the difficulty in dialing a quick phone number or enter a few quick letters since the on screen dialer is a tad small. Is this an issue for you and if so wouldn't VC or a bigger on screen numeric and qwerty pad such as TouchKeyboard or typango solve this?
    I tried VC and hated it. For some reason it has a hard time understanding my plain-vanilla midwest accent. Also I feel like a complete doofus yelling at my phone.

I'm waiting on a WM5 release of ContactBreeze which works great for searching/dialing. Until then I can still one-hand since I use Pocket Informant as my PIM - it allows me to easily joystick alphabetically through my contacts. I haven't used it yet, but I think WM5 has a T9-style typepad available too.
    Wow, I expected it Friday. I finally got a tracking number 10 minutes ago and UPS says its due today phurth, PPC buddy,,,

Do you use tweaks2k2.net?

Have you removed any junkware?

Have you had problems with ActiveSync starting when it shouldnt?

To DL TCPMP it lists 5 files. I downloaded the top one tcpmp.arm.cabs.0.70.zip Is that all I need?

Did you know you could use NullKeyboard to stop the onscreen KB from popping up? I was at Sprint messing with the floor model and was surprised that the onscreen KB would pop up even with the hard KB open.

Is installing 3rd party PPC programs much different than installing palm programs?

Lastly in my reading I have seen cab files mentioned a lot. Is that the equivalent of a palms prc?
    Wow, I expected it Friday. I finally got a tracking number 10 minutes ago and UPS says its due today phurth, PPC buddy,,,

Do you use tweaks2k2.net?
    Nope. I installed the trial and made one or two tweaks that I could have done myself.No. It doesn't amount to all that much - if you don't have a lot of third party software (which I do, actually) I think it would be unneccessary.Since I use Exchange Activesync, I can't say if this happens or not (Activesync is always running in the background).
    To DL TCPMP it lists 5 files. I downloaded the top one tcpmp.arm.cabs.0.70.zip Is that all I need?
    All of the codec plug-ins used to be seperate installs - but it looks like they are now all included in that CAB you referred to. That should be all you need. BTW - it works perfectly from the card so you can save some storage memory.
    Did you know you could use NullKeyboard to stop the onscreen KB from popping up? I was at Sprint messing with the floor model and was surprised that the onscreen KB would pop up even with the hard KB open.
    Thanks for the tip! I use Calligrapher so it's not as obtrusive, but it would be nice to prevent the toolbar from popping up.
    Is installing 3rd party PPC programs much different than installing palm programs?
    IMHO, it's easier. There's a remove programs applet on the PPC, so uninstall is easier. A tip: if you are going to uninstall an app, and it has been running since the last soft-reset, soft-reset before uninstalling otherwise you'll get an error. Installation is easy - the CAB file you got for TCPMP, for example - just copy it to the device (Activesync has an Explore button), and tap it in File Explorer. It'll ask whether to install in the device or on the card. Choose and tap install. That's it. A CAB file on the PPC is exactly what a CAB file is on a PC - a packaged installation file, not exactly the same as a PRC.

Pete
    Thanks phurth,,, I'll read that till it syncs in I really appreciate your time

The PPC on the floor at Sprint is slow to change from portraite to landscape, 3 to 4 seconds. I read many had resolved the issue by changing the glyph cache from 8192 to 16384. Any trouble on yours?
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 11/22/2005 at 04:55 PM.
    I am in love. This thing is awesome. Got it all set up. It kicks my 650s but!

Thanks for all your help phurth. I'll be at pdaphonehome, but still on TC,,,,, I think,,,,,,,, I've kinda lost all interest in checking my subscribed 650 threads,,,,,,, thats a little saddening,,,,,,,

I am in love. This thing is awesome. Got it all set up. It kicks my 650s but!

Thanks for all your help phurth. I'll be at pdaphonehome, but still on TC,,,,, I think,,,,,,,, I've kinda lost all interest in checking my subscribed 650 threads,,,,,,, thats a little saddening,,,,,,,

Yeah, I'm staying here for the most part - at least in Other Handhelds. I can't really warm up to PDAPhoneHome.
    Yeah - I like PDAPhonehome, but doesn't have the character and charm of TC. And I think it is especially cool, phurth, that you and I can have (mostly) civil discussions from opposing political views in one part of TC, and be totally stoked and supportive of our device-lust in another. The magic of technology!

Really hoping I'll get to order my 6700 soon!
    The whiny minority always out-posts the contented majority.
    Come to the darkside...
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Yeah - I like PDAPhonehome, but doesn't have the character and charm of TC. And I think it is especially cool, phurth, that you and I can have (mostly) civil discussions from opposing political views in one part of TC, and be totally stoked and supportive of our device-lust in another.

The magic of technology!
    Thanks! I like the political discussions even though they probably tend to make us all appear a bit more extreme than we actually are (we only discuss the things we feel most strongly about, so that's only natural I guess). I try to be as civil as I can. People can disagree without being jerks.
    Really hoping I'll get to order my 6700 soon!
    Yes... come on over to the dark side!
    We can always come to TreoCentral to agree to disagree.

Time for WiFi Wardriving.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    We can always come to TreoCentral to agree to disagree.

Time for WiFi Wardriving.
    So I see on PPH that you got a 6700. Did you end up getting one at a Sprint store? I think I saw somwehere you were trying to locate one...
    I ordered from Sprint 800 number a few weeks ago.
    Help the newb........

I want to put a wav file on the PPC for email. From what I understand it goes in the windows folder. I dont see one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast