Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 230
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    I've never had a PPC but I have helped my wife with hers. I keep at lest 7 megs free on the Treo so that blazer may still down load and to prevent the "running out of free memory" message. Do PPCs work the same way or can I fill the 6700's 33 megs of usable memory?
    Windows Mobile 5 handles memory differently than past versions. It works much like a desktop computer now in that it has separate storage memory and program memory. Nothing is stored in program memory - it's used just for program execution. Storage memory is the 33MB you're referring to. I believe you can pretty much fill it up, but old habits die hard with me so I try to keep 10-12MB free.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyGOP
    For any of you who have a windows mobile 5 device, is there a way to change the "from" address like you can in chatter? A lot of us use a server like fastmail to essentially relay emails, but I wouldn't want the outgoing mail to appear as xyz@fastmail.fm. The upcoming exchange push feature seems great, but I'd still like to be able to use my personal IMAP account, even if it has to be pulled.
    Not easily. You can't select from multiple SMTP accounts like you can with Chatter. This is one of the many reasons Chatter blows away anything on WM (or POS, for that matter). I think the only thing you could do is use your Exchange server SMTP info in your fastmail account setup.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    I've never had a PPC but I have helped my wife with hers. I keep at lest 7 megs free on the Treo so that blazer may still down load and to prevent the "running out of free memory" message. Do PPCs work the same way or can I fill the 6700's 33 megs of usable memory?
    Don't fill up the 6700's memory. There seem to be some memory leaks and you'll actually lose more than what you should. It's best to leave a lot of it free until you figure out how bad your memory leak is. It also depends on how often your 6700 resets itself and frees that memory.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Don't fill up the 6700's memory. There seem to be some memory leaks and you'll actually lose more than what you should. It's best to leave a lot of it free until you figure out how bad your memory leak is. It also depends on how often your 6700 resets itself and frees that memory.
    I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the 6700. It sounds like you had a lemon, bad 3rd party software, or both. My only memory-related problem has been with Pocket IE's cache which is set to 14MB+ by default. As you can imagine with EVDO and WiFi is doesn't take long to download 14MB. I find my self constantly emptying the cache.

    I've never had a Windows Mobile device spontaneously reset - not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it. If your 6700 was resetting itself, I'd say it had hardware.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  5. #85  
    Thanks for the words of caution. They will be easy to follow since I don't own any PPC software and plan to use the 6700's full trial period.

    I just read a few hours worth of 6700 info at pdaphonehome and am looking forward to next week.

    It appears there may be DSOD problems with 1GB miniSDs. I happen to own a 256 meg mini and I'll report back on it.

    It seems OS sluggishness relates to "Today plug-ins" and some numbers relating to the registry that are configurable which didn't make sense today but I'll figure it out next week. Delayed landscape/portrait change relates to the # of apps running (cant remember if I read that hear or there).

    Sounds like standard "new device before revised ROM" quirks that get ironed out.

    I just left sprint and the 6700 fits a treo sized Nutshell leather pouch case perfectly

    I forgot it had a joystick , IMHO harder to use than the Treos dpad. Maybe that get easier.

    Is there a way to get my contacts to the 6700? I don't use OutLook.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Sounds like standard "new device before revised ROM" quirks that get ironed out.
    Agreed. That's why I decided on keeping it even though the Treo is currently the best (at most of the important stuff.
    Is there a way to get my contacts to the 6700? I don't use OutLook.
    What are you using - Palm Desktop?
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    What are you using - Palm Desktop?
    Yes
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Yes
    You'll have to make the move to Outlook including exporting your data out of Palm Desktop and then importing it into Outlook. Probably the easiest way (if you don't have hundreds) is to export them as .vcf files and then just import 'em.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  9. #89  
    Thanks. Your making this pretty easy on me.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Thanks. Your making this pretty easy on me.
    No problem. I hope you like the 6700!
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  11. #91  
    I find I get a much better charge when using the A/C adapter vs. the USB port.

    If you don't get much time on the charger it could make enough of a difference to get you through the day.

    Also there will be an extended battery avail soon.
    My Windoze toolz http://www.securitysoftware.cc
  12. #92  
    Does the 6700 play internet radio out of the box?
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Does the 6700 play internet radio out of the box?
    You mean Shoutcast format, right? Out of the box - no. With free software - yes. GSPlayer is free and will play lots of audio, including Shoutcast streams (I just confirmed it runs on my 6700). Also TCPMP on Windows Mobile will play Shoutcast streaming audio (the Palm version does not). There are also a number of commercial player apps (Resco Radio, PocketMusic, and probably more) out there.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  14. #94  
    I'm all set

    I just looked up my favorite palm apps I currently use:

    Resco Photo
    Resco Explorer
    Pocket Lingo
    SkyScape medical
    Davis Drug Guide

    And there are PPC versions for all of them
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Does the 6700 play internet radio out of the box?
    You can stream Shoucast streams with TCPMP (FREE), or you can use Resco Radio.
  16. #96  
    Ptunes wasnt that great anyway

    I'm concerned about some stuff I read about PPCs mirroring the desktop computer. The desktop is the family computer and is full of junk from everyone. I dont want music, IE bookmarks, settings, nothing to be mirrored. I will need to sync contacts and calender but thats it.

    When I install the PPC desktop will I be prompted to choose what gets carried over from the desktop to the handheld?
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the 6700. It sounds like you had a lemon, bad 3rd party software, or both. My only memory-related problem has been with Pocket IE's cache which is set to 14MB+ by default. As you can imagine with EVDO and WiFi is doesn't take long to download 14MB. I find my self constantly emptying the cache.

    I've never had a Windows Mobile device spontaneously reset - not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it. If your 6700 was resetting itself, I'd say it had hardware.
    I didn't have any 3rd party software on my 6700. I also didn't do any of the registry hacks to supposedly improve the performance and stability. I just tested it as Sprint, Microsoft and Audiovox intended it.

    If anyone can figure out how to make a better browser, email client, messaging client, phone app and earpiece/speakerphone volume booster for the 6700, I'll start using it again.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Ptunes wasnt that great anyway

    I'm concerned about some stuff I read about PPCs mirroring the desktop computer. The desktop is the family computer and is full of junk from everyone. I dont want music, IE bookmarks, settings, nothing to be mirrored. I will need to sync contacts and calender but thats it.

    When I install the PPC desktop will I be prompted to choose what gets carried over from the desktop to the handheld?
    Activesync will only sync what you tell it.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  19. #99  
    2000Man, I have been using the PPC-6700 for almost 2 months now. There are no memory leak issues I have experienced. In fact his is the most stable PDA/phone device I have ever used. Can you please tell us how you found it to have memory leaks, what programs you determined were the leakers and what support routes you took to attempt to resolv the issues?
  20. #100  
    I read users initially thought they were having memory leaks but it ended up being PIEs cache which amounted to 6 to 15 megs.

    That's an awful high limit. Users have tried redirecting the cache to the card which has worked for some initially but resulted in problems with PIE closing and crashing repeatedly a week or so after making these changes. I have'nt read of a way to change the cache limit, users are just deleting the cache once in awhile.

    So far the 6700 forum is full of info but its just not as much fun as TC.

    Maybe if Insertion comes over,,,,, His days with the Treo are shrinking also......
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions