Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Here's to hoping the (Cingular) HTC 8125 will be just as good (unfortunatley only EDGE, no EV-DO.) I'm not switching to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by pertinax
    Just got my 6700 yesterday. So far it seems like a capable device.

There will certainly be some things I'll miss about the Treo but doubt I will regret the move. Heh, i'll probably miss Treo Central more than the phone.

I agree the Windows devices are easier to write software for. The Pocket PC app I created for an earlier version of the PPC seems to work well on WM5 without any changes.
    Got mine last week. As the two devices sit right now, purely for e-mail, battery life, and general useability (responsiveness, etc...), the Treo still is better. The Treo is also better at one-handed operation. Despite this, I'm keeping the 6700 and selling my Treo.

Exchange Activesync is awesome. I can sync e-mail, calendar items, tasks and contacts over the air. Soon real push for all those items will be configured on my company's Exchange server.

Bluetooth works exactly as it should. I have a Treo BT headset and it works night and day better with the 6700. It always connects - with the Treo it would only about 75% of the time.

WiFi, EVDO, 1xRTT - take your pick. All are plenty fast for remote data access. I switched from Cingular's pathetic data service. EDGE is as fast as they go and the 6700 on 1xRTT easily feels faster than EDGE. This could well be Sprint vs Cingular, but call quality has been much better with no drops. The phone vs PDA integration just works. Oh, and not a single reset despite a raft of third-party apps being installed.

6700 negatives? Battery life. With fairly minimal useage I can't get a whole day out of the battery. Luckily the sync/charge cable is a simple mini-USB cable and can be charged anywhere. Responsiveness of the OS. It can be a bit sluggish, but this should improve as developers write better software for the new (slower) memory model. Built-in e-mail app. It's not terrible, but boy do I miss Chatter.

In short, where the Treo continually disappointed me with its limitations and seeming willful desire to reset when I needed it most, the 6700 just plain works, and works darn well. WM 5 is a platform in its infancy - it will improve with time and developer activity. In some respects my Treo needed developer activity just to be useable (the indispensible VolumeCare comes to mind).

For the tasks important to me, the 6700 is a winner. YMMV
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Great review, phurth! I'll be switching from a Sprint Treo 650 to a 6700 next week or two. Your observations re: Sprint vs. Cingular regarding call quality and data are mine as well - I had the same feeling when I originally switched from Cingular to Sprint.

I've been very happy, and if I can score a decent deal on the 6700 I'll be pleased as punch.
    Sounds like the 6700 is getting better and better.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Great review, phurth! I'll be switching from a Sprint Treo 650 to a 6700 next week or two. Your observations re: Sprint vs. Cingular regarding call quality and data are mine as well - I had the same feeling when I originally switched from Cingular to Sprint.

I've been very happy, and if I can score a decent deal on the 6700 I'll be pleased as punch.
    Thanks! I got mine for $349 w/2 yr (from the infamous "eBay guy"), but that's as a new Sprint customer. Not sure about deals for returning customers. One thing I neglected to mention was that though the battery life is worse than I expected, an extended battery is anticipated "any day now...". Between that and the easy USB charging (it charges really fast, too) I can live with it.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Sounds like the 6700 is getting better and better.
    How's that? Did I miss the bug fixes or firmware updates? Sounds like a lot of people switching from GSM Treos to the CDMA 6700. They probably would have been very happy simply switching to a CDMA Treo as well. Sprint's Treos have been very solid compared to the GSM ones that most people complain about.

How could they put such a worthless battery in the 6700? Doesn't make any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    How's that? Did I miss the bug fixes or firmware updates?
    Huh? Where have you read that?

Sounds like a lot of people switching from GSM Treos to the CDMA 6700. They probably would have been very happy simply switching to a CDMA Treo as well.
    Based on what Phurth just mentioned about his assessment, it doesnt matter what version of treo you have, the BT doesnt work flawless, it doesnt have built in wifi, no evdo, etc., etc.

Sprint's Treos have been very solid compared to the GSM ones that most people complain about.
    And this is related to what I said about the 6700 sounding better and better...how?

How could they put such a worthless battery in the 6700? Doesn't make any sense.
    Worthless? It is a larger screen. It does power a BT radio and a wifi radio and evdo. You want a longer lasting battery and be limited in what you can do and how you can do it, then stick with the treo....just don't claim the 6700 battery to be worthless?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Not being able to get through a whole day without even using the BT, WiFi or EVDO = worthless
    Not being able to get through a whole day without even using the BT, WiFi or EVDO = worthless
    SMALL price to pay to have all those features. Obviously that is not enough for you...to each his own.

BTW-how many continuous hours of usage are you able to get without running any of those radios?

The 6700 only lasts me about 6 hours without doing any internet, BT or WiFi. That's with plenty of phone calls and some email/text messaging. The 650 gets 12+ hours with the same usage. Adding in some WiFi usage with the 6700 drops it down to 1-2 hours.
  11. OJM
    This is not true for me. Perhaps you (2000 Man) should return your device as it may have a defective battery or charger. Do you (a) have the IR port turned off, (b) have the screen brightness set low and (c) have wifi set up to automatically turn off when there is no wifi signal detected? I have had my 6700 for a month with these settings and have had no where near the battery issues you have been having. Folks over at PDAPhonehome are complaining about the battery - but 2000 Man's extreme battery issues are by far the worst I have heard.

My battery lasts about 2.5 days without BT, WiFi and EV-DO (with about 40 to 60 minutes of calls/day). I use Bluetooth and EVDO all day and have never had my battery drop below 35%. While not as good as the Treo, the battery is far from "worthless". Furthermore, the $5 mini usb cords for work and the car make this irrelevant unless you are walking around without a power source for 15 hours a day - while using wifi, EV-DO and BT

Keep in mind the fact that WM is a more robust OS which allows mutitaslking and the 6700 has a screen about 35% larger than the Treo. Battery life is obviously not going to be as good as it is on the Palm OS treo. The Treo 700W will almost certainly have similar battery issues - you won"t see the same battery life you are seeing on 650. The Palm OS spolied us.
    Last edited by OJM; 11/17/2005 at 07:34 AM.
    OJMBrooklyn

SPHi300>T300>T600>T650>PPC6700>700WX
    Quote Originally Posted by OJM
    This is not true for me. Perhaps you (2000 Man) should return your device as it may have a defective battery or charger. Do you (a) have the IR port turned off, (b) have the screen brightness set low and (c) have wifi set up to automatically turn off when there is no wifi signal detected? I have had my 6700 for a month with these settings and have had no where near the battery issues you have been having. Folks over at PDAPhonehome are complaining about the battery - but 2000 Man's extreme battery issues are by far the worst I have heard.

My battery lasts about 2.5 days without BT, WiFi and EV-DO (with about 40 to 60 minutes of calls/day). I use Bluetooth and EVDO all day and have never had my battery drop below 35%. While not as good as the Treo, the battery is far from "worthless". Furthermore, the $5 mini usb cords for work and the car make this irrelevant unless you are walking around without a power source for 15 hours a day - while using wifi, EV-DO and BT

Keep in mind the fact that WM is a more robust OS which allows mutitaslking and the 6700 has a screen about 35% larger than the Treo. Battery life is obviously not going to be as good as it is on the Palm OS treo. The Treo 700W will almost certainly have similar battery issues - you won"t see the same battery life you are seeing on 650. The Palm OS spolied us.
    Sounds about normal.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I switched from the 650 to the HP 6515 and so far I have been happy. I really didn't know of any difference from Edge to EVDO till I started working for Verizon and now that I have seen what a PPC is capable of on EVDO I am super jealous, if I wasn't stuck in a contract with Cingular I would dump it in a heart beat! I am going to wait for the Treo 700w or maybe now the 6700 . I would like the one hand and I would also love to be able to stream XM, which is my favorite thing to do.
  14. OJM
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    I would also love to be able to stream XM, which is my favorite thing to do.
    I stream Sirius on my 6700 all day at work!
    OJMBrooklyn

SPHi300>T300>T600>T650>PPC6700>700WX
    *Seamless integration with MS Office (great for me as I edit Word docs regularly)

*Big screen (of nearly the same quality/brightness as the Treo. I keep mine a the second lowest brightness setting and it is perfect. Screen size makes the biggest difference when surfing, watching movies and typing Word docs)
    Are you really saying tha WM5 office is better than DocsToGo?? What about excell? Does it keep the formatting like docs to go?

How can 240x320 beat the wonderful 650 screen??

Thanks for your very usefull review.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    How can 240x320 beat the wonderful 650 screen??
    The Treo's screen is indeed brighter (by a bit) and does have a higher resolution (by a bit), but is significantly smaller in a device that's roughly the same size. Despite the lower resolution, the 6700 has what I'd call a higher "effective resolution" since I can actually fit more on the screen without making it unuseably tiny.
    What!? Sirius streams on the 6700? Is this through Sprint's music service, or through a web-based player?

I have my IR port turned off and WiFi turned off. I use my phone a lot more than you do though. I easily use about 2 hours of phone time, sometimes more. I also have my screen brightness turned all the way up, but I wish it went even higher like the Treo 650's screen.

The 6700's battery is just smaller than the 650's, plus it has a more power-hungry OS and a larger screen. It should only get about 50% of the battery life that the Treo gets. That's about what I've found. What I need is an aftermarket battery that's the same physical size as the stock battery.
    I played with the 6700 today at a store. I have to say it's pretty flippin' cool. I'm a fan. I just couldn't figure out how to do text messaging though.
    I'm definately maknig the switch to a full screen WM5 device as soon as I can get one on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I played with the 6700 today at a store. I have to say it's pretty flippin' cool. I'm a fan. I just couldn't figure out how to do text messaging though.
    I'm definately maknig the switch to a full screen WM5 device as soon as I can get one on GSM.
    My contract is coming up in Feb I think. I keep reading this thread and if there is no new sprint treo, then I am going to give the 6700 a try.

Those that are using the 6700, please keep posting. Im interested in what BT headsets your using, if you are using the bt mouse and keyboard, gps, etc.

Keep em coming!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast