Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    That's a good tip about the battery life, though it still won't match the battery life of the 650. To try and claim that a battery with less power coupled with a bloated OS and a higher MHz CPU will last longer is ridiculous.

You're not fooling anyone with that one.
    What exactly is your problem?

I'm not trying to fool anyone. I simply reported what I am seeing - as I have been doing all along.

We get it. You don't like the PPC-6700. Sheesh.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    That is one of the good things about the OMAP processor in the Wizaed. It's rated at 200 mhz but it is a dual core, which means the phone part of the Wizrd doesn't hog up the pda processor. That equals to astounding battery life and although not terrific speed, it is still plenty fast.

As far as the loose slider Shadowmite mentioned, it seems less of an issue on the Wizard because it has twice the grooves on the slider than the 6700. Think of it as a train on four tracks instead of two.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I think some of us are comparing apples to oranges. With the 650 being a one-thing at a time OS and the 6700 being a true multitasking device it would be unlikely for both to consume the same amount of energy. It appears the 650 consumes more due to the larger more powerful battery it uses and the flashlight type display. The 6700 has a less larger and powerful battery but yet does more and last about as long as the treo. I typically get all days use, 8:00am-7:00pm, with about 40-50% left. Using bluetooth,voice dialing, internet use,and a few other programs here and there. And of course talking. Your actual time may vary.
    Since most of us rarely uses their phone without 3rd party software it pays to get the most beneficial. With the 6700 that becomes ms voice command. It greatly enhances the experience. I rarely even use the keyboard for searching or otherwise. I just ask VC to show what ever contact I need. Its done in a matter of seconds. Much quicker than any search program. Same for dialing. Since the 650 only trumps the 6700 on the exposed keyboard one hand issue, it then suddenly becomes a non-issue. Combine that with the extras that the 6700 brings that has allready been mention, it becomes clear.
    I enter my passwords and log-in names on the net with "Tap Text" a very handy utility. Again much quicker than typing with any type keyboard. My pull-out keyboard don't get pulled out that much. cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    That is one of the good things about the OMAP processor in the Wizaed. It's rated at 200 mhz but it is a dual core, which means the phone part of the Wizrd doesn't hog up the pda processor. That equals to astounding battery life and although not terrific speed, it is still plenty fast.

As far as the loose slider Shadowmite mentioned, it seems less of an issue on the Wizard because it has twice the grooves on the slider than the 6700. Think of it as a train on four tracks instead of two.
    Believe me, the K-JAM/Qtek is exactly what I wished that the 6700 would have been. It's a better design and is built better. If only they made a CDMA version of that phone instead of the 6700.
    I haven't seen the back of the kjam or qtek or what it was but the 6700 has 2 tongue and groove rails and 2 recessed but not hook-grooved rails for a total of 4 guide rails. I did notice the qtek if that's the right name had a seemingly hook-grooved rail on either side of the keyboard, so it has some on the back too. Have you used the 6700s KB? Does it feel differently sliding out?

--------------------------------------
    My battery life is the same with my 6700 as it was with the Treo because my treo burnt up a lot of juice while slowly trying to open, close, or switch tasks. ;-)

The 6700 is just a lot snappier with all the way around with everything it does.
    The keyboard on the 6700 is just plain wobbly. The extra grooves and rails on the Qtek should keep it in place better and hold up better after lots of use.

Nice sig, though you're not fooling anyone. We all know that the 650 opens programs about 5 times faster than the 6700, even with all of the jank registry hacks you have to do on the 6700.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Yes, the QTek has the same grooves on the back, like the 6700, but also has an extra set of grooves on the keyboard. The 6700 felt a little less stable than my QTek and I believe that is why.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man

Nice sig, though you're not fooling anyone.
    We are here to exchange productive information about our device. We like this site and so we are huddled in this thread to share helpful insights and ask questions. We don't want a bunch of slams and arguments to close the thread. Could you please stop.
    That Qtek 9100 looks really nice. I just got a Treo 650, but the Qtek is really tempting me. I tried to switch to the PPC / WM platform this past year, but couldn't find equivalent programs to all the ones I have to have from Palm. So far that has been the only "sticking point" with me. Also, isn't a PPC / WM device with only 64MB RAM like a PalmOS device with only as much useable memory as the Treo 650? The 64MB that the Qtek has seems a little lacking especially with the larger size of the apps. on that platform. I wonder if PPCTechs has a 128MB upgrade yet for the Qtek.
    Look on Handango for PPC programs. I found a lot I can use. Just make sure that they list your device under "compatible devices". I found some for the Qtek 9100.

The only thing keeping me from the Qtek or the K-Jam is the price of the unlocked. Gotta gather up some funds.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I searched Handango, PocketGear and some other sites for a couple of weeks looking for WM replacements for my Palm apps. I could only find replacements for maybe half of them. I dunno how a search would turn out now though. I did all that searching maybe 8 months ago.
    I replaced:

DA with google local or yellowpages.com

kmaps with google local

ptunes with free TCPMP

Datebook5 with pocket breeze

Chatter with the stock PPC email client

ledoff with a registry change

Xiino with the stock browser (its just as fast and looks as good as blazer)

bugmeNotepad with the stock notepad

SpellCheck1.6 with PhatSpell

Documents to go with the stock document program

Resco File explorer with free Total Commander

Resco Photo with the stock picture viewer (the stock pic viewer on the treo was slow, the pic viewer on the PPC is fast)

SmartMovie with free TCPMP

And then I got really lucky because all my favorite medical books, dictionaries and other reference material had PPC that I got for free.

But I haven't replaced SplashMonet because Quicken is not yet WM5 ready.

And ThoughtManager, to do list for palm is like no PPC application I've ever seen.

What I was shocked about was that all the applications I used to customize how the treo behaved weren't needed for the 6700.

What applications do you need PPC equivalents to IsLNdbOi?
    Well like I said, last time I did a search for equivalent software was almost a year ago. But off hand a big one is SplashMoney. Also some others are ChatterMail (are there any email apps. like this on WM?), Mapopolis (apparently, the WM version doesn't support SD cards and a simple game I have called "Palmtumi" and yes I can't live without this very simple, yet addictive game.

I just did a quick search of some stuff that could help transitioning easier and I found this:

http://www.styletap.com/

Now I wish I could get Qtek 9100, but I can't afford it atm. I got the Treo 650 for $199.00 + $100 credit to my Sprint account + $50.00 mail in rebate. Today is the last day in my 14 day cancellation period with Sprint.
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 12/11/2005 at 03:14 AM.
    I just read a review here:

http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/wizard/

The amount of available memory is disappointing:

The HTC Wizard has a 200MHz (shown as 195MHz on the K-JAM) Texas Instruments OMAP 850 processor, 128 MB of ROM (about 48 MB usable), 64 MB of RAM (about 30 MB usable), 802.11b/g (e and i to be supported with future ROM update) Wi-Fi radio, Bluetooth 2.0 radio, and Quad band (850/900/1800/1900) GSM/EDGE radio, as well as the 1.3-megapixel camera described above.
    The amount of memory on the Treo is low too. More memory on stand alone PDAs, both platforms. Phones get shorted, it looks like. But the Wizard is still well equipped with features, compared to the Treo.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    A couple things:

Mapopolis - the PPC version most assuredly does support SD cards. In fact it works flawlessly and is *far* superior to the Palm version. This is one of the reasons I dumped my 650, in fact.

Pocket Quicken- Tem, there is a beta out for WM5. I'm using it now. I think I found the link at PDAPhoneHome - it's not easily found at Landware's site, though. If you can't find it let me know and I can track it down for you.

Tell me about ThoughtManager - would a simple hierarchical outliner suffice? Try: Pocket Thinker (don't know about WM5 comp.) or Handmark Checklist (confirmed WM5 comp.)

The memory situation: after installing apps there is not as much storage memory as I'd like (is there ever?), but still way more than the 650. Storage and program memory are two different things in WM5 - there's all kinds of program memory. PPC Techs doesn't have upgrades (yet) for any WM5 devices. Also, keep in mind that you can easily run apps off the card without the acrobatics required on the Palm OS.

The problem with searching Handango and PocketGear is that software developers have to pay to be listed in the search engine. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to search by NAME for something I *knew* was available from one of them but got only empty search results. For a good insider view of how this racket operates, check this out.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a peek for wm5 quicken later.

I had tried pocket thinker, list watch and TreeNotes, done searches for tasks, todo, hierarchy, and list at Handango, pocket gear and google but this morning I found ListPro and I'd have to say its even better than ThoughtManager.

Phurth is right about palm acrobatics. With many of my palm programs I had to put the prc on internal to get it to recognize the db or put the reader on the card and the db internal because the prc couldn't find the db if both were on the card. You don't have that problem with the 6700, I have all my stuff on the card
    Well Phurth was good enough to hook me up with the trial to WM5 quicken.....I didn't know you had to use the desktop counterpart,,,,

Well I checked out Spb finance and I would have to say for what I want which is to make it as easy as possible to quick enter a transaction after pulling away from the ATM, grocery store, etc,,, Spb finance is far easier to use than Splash Money!
    Oops! Sorry, I thought you knew.
    2000Man, you have got to stop trying to twist people words around. THERE IS PUSH FOR WM5 TODAY. I am saying I amnot using push but it IS available. STOP MISQUOTING US. If you have some vested interest in Palm stock I can understand your need to lie but truly it is getting old. Battery lifeis totally due to a users conditions they use it in, heat, cold, frequency of charging, do they have wifi running, bluetooth, multiple apps (some of these no other device can do).

I am also wondering why Shadowmite claims to have left the PPC-6700 but recently was still posting about it on another site. Seems he was trying to figure out how to program for it and couldn't grasp .net programming. Maybe that is the real reason for his decision.

ALSO...anyone who has beeen waiting for a new Palm Treo to be released sethe following I came acrosss on DavesPDA.com...

Palm OS Based Treos Far Off, Palm Going All WM
    Wednesday 12.07.2005 at 05:33 PM
    Rumors just seem to be all over the place on the future of the Palm Treo line. Some are saying Palm will adopt more operating systems while others are saying they will clean house. IT Week is reporting that Palm may bee looking to drop the Palm OS. The article sites the ageing Palm platform that won't be able to match 3G network support already in Windows Mobile 5.0. Palm expects it will take a year to build a product on the new Linux based Palm OS after it is released. PalmSource plans to deliver the Linux based Palm OS in the first half of 2006 meaning Palm likely wouldn't have a device based on the new OS available until 2007.
    Complete Story is on the IT Week website.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast