Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    LOL...ok I know Im not a world leader.
    Then you and I are in the same group.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmite
    I've gone back to the 650 myself from the 6700.
    2000 Man, did shadowmite post this comment in this forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    The problem here though is that you wouldn't have 1/100th the upgrades or improvements or tweaks that you would have if this was built in the POS.
    It's not good when an outside developer has to show you what you should have included in the first place! Especially since you're dealing with business customers who probably do need push! And if that's true what you say about programs like Chatter triggering upgrades, improvements, and tweaks; then Palm OS on the Treo was not developed properly before being released. Why wasn't it "tweaked" out of the box?

But to be fair, the same can be said for Windows. I'm not sure about WM, but I do know that MSFT is still "tweaking" XP and it's really annoying!! Think about all the updates you had to download if you have XP. That means they released an incomplete OS, beta XP, and "forgot" to tell the consumer! I have the list of about 20 or so updates, including SP2. I can see maybe like 3 updates, but 20??

OK enough venting, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    It's not good when an outside developer has to show you what you should have included in the first place! Especially since you're dealing with business customers who probably do need push! And if that's true what you say about programs like Chatter triggering upgrades, improvements, and tweaks; then Palm OS on the Treo was not developed properly before being released. Why wasn't it "tweaked" out of the box?

But to be fair, the same can be said for Windows. I'm not sure about WM, but I do know that MSFT is still "tweaking" XP and it's really annoying!! Think about all the updates you had to download if you have XP. That means they released an incomplete OS, beta XP, and "forgot" to tell the consumer! I have the list of about 20 or so updates, including SP2. I can see maybe like 3 updates, but 20??

OK enough venting, LOL!
    All of this would be great...but in reality no one short of Marc would be able to personally handle his product development. You can email him, IM him, etc. pretty much from 8am to 12 midnight and get some type of response. I know for a fact that Microsoft (or any other developer) doesnt put themselves out there like that. Hence the advantage of a 3rd party developer.

Good point on XP. I have more than twenty updates.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

No doubt Marc is a great developer and a great guy!

I'm just saying Palm should know push email was necessary. WM too for that matter, it took them until WM5 to realize push was necessary. Didn't all those Blackberry sales inform them? Palm could have jumped the gun big time on WM had they just done that with the 650. Palm has to quit coming up from behind. Playing catch up is bad IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    contrary to popular belief you can do push email with the WM5 devices if you have access to the Exchange server no matter if it is running SP2 or not. this has been discussed at length in other forums. it is not an extra pay service.

also you do not have to pay another company to do the SMS delivery to you if you are smart enough to set up a rule in Outlook you can get Outlook to forward an SMS to any phone to alert you that there is an email waiting for you. not as clean as Chatter but very reliable and then you set your WM5 device to auto "fetch" email every 30 minutes or so.

frankly I am happy to make that trade off for the ability to connect to my home network, having bluetooth which is 1000% better then the Treo's, Voice Command more then makes up for the usability and allows me to voice dial and start programs from my bluetooth headset or the microphone and the screen is alot bigger. need I also again mention the lack of resets? I cannot begin to count the number of times my Treos needed to be reloaded, reset and returned to Sprint for replacements and by the number of times these things have been discussed in the forums I obviously am not the only one with these problems.

some of you will not be happy with the "style" of the 6700 but I really don't think that has anything to do with the 6700 or you will not like the extra .12" of thickness but I suspect many of you have your Treo's in cases like Vaja makes which actually make the Treo thicker then the 6700 in your hand.

if you are happy with your Treo then God bless you but please tell the truth about the WM5 devices and stop spreading rumors. if you just used one for 15 minutes in a store then be clear about that being your experience instead of misleading others.
    Setting up a rule in Outlook to have the phone look for emails at a pre-defined time is NOT push email. Give us a break.
    Any company could release a product that lived up to every expectation but then we would only have a new toy every 3 years and it would cost 1,500.00 any these companies know we want a new toy yearly

Nothing is released as a perfect product. Just last week I had to put an after market air induction system on my Mazerrati to get the best performance,,,,,,,,,,,,, right

N e ways,,,,,

Just wanted to chime in with a change that has me tickled pink I noticed that many times my 6700 only rings once or twice before it kicks to voicemail. It was because my 6700 only checks for calls every 4 seconds so I set it to check every second. so far works awesome! No odd behavior and no noticeable battery drain

FROM PDAPHONEHOME:
    FIX THE SLOW RINGER

To do this, you will need your MSL, which only Sprint (or your provider) can provide you. Open up the phone app and dial ##778# (PST). You will be asked to enter your MSL. Enter it, and you will be brought into the provisioning of your phone. From the top left, select Modem Settings. On this page, your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) is how often your phone polls the tower for incoming calls, etc. This value is 1.28 seconds multiplied by 2^value (i.e 0=1.28 secs, 1=2.56secs) with 0 fastest, 7 slowest. The default is 2, but lowering it to 1 hasn't noticeably affected my battery life, and roughly 2.5 second (SCI 1) response time is far more reasonable than roughly 5 seconds (SCI 2)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsd 1
    As far as the quickest search effort for phone #'s or contacts beside MS Voice Command, would be the default contacts program. Simply bring up contacts and with the keyboard start to type first initial, space, last initial and you quickly have your name. Scroll with joystick, push and you're dialing.
    I like Breeze Contacts....fast with easy access on your Today screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Setting up a rule in Outlook to have the phone look for emails at a pre-defined time is NOT push email. Give us a break.
    I think he was talking about living with various options for email connectivity in a pros vs cons scenario beyond focusing on that single point.
    Thank you Hobbes, 2000Man read my post and then look at Outlook and the ability to detect when an email is recieved and setting up a rule to auto send an SMS to you essentially forwarding the basic info of who the message is from then you an decide whether to pull the email or let the device pull it at the predetermined interval. You are so myopic against this device I wonder what your real motive is? Believe me I would love to have Chatter functionality with this but Rome wasn't built in a day and there are a lot more pressing issues to be dealt with in life. I am just saying in my scenario this works for me and I am loving the extra features of this device that others have so sorely complained are missing from the T650. If I had Exchange working here at home or if my IT department would make a change or two to their existing setup then the push is available to me today (not tomorrow or next year). Unfortunately because of the ultra high level of security within that is just not an option.

So 2000Man, give us a break and read well before flaming.

As an aside I have my iBook hooked up to the 50" Plasma (Panasonic) this morning for the first time and it is quite the trip...
    Tem, I think the battery drain is only when the wireless network mode is on or in those rare occurances when both wireless and bluetooth are on at the same time. Otherwise no battery drain here...
    So I was right about the 6700 not having push email capability while the 650 does through Chatter.

As for Shadowmite, he switched back to the 650 because he thought it was a superior device. He's right.
    So I was right about the 6700 not having push email capability while the 650 does through Chatter.
    Actually the 6700 DOES have push through 3rd party software (GoodLink, Intellisync Wireless E-Mail Express (WM5 version just released). The built-in free push with Exchange is right around the corner as I said earlier.
    As for Shadowmite, he switched back to the 650 because he thought it was a superior device. He's right.
    Perhaps. It would be better to let him speak for himself, though.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I would like to hear from him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I would like to hear from him too.
    Just go to his site. He detailed the reasons why he dumped the 6700 and went back to the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Tem, I think the battery drain is only when the wireless network mode is on or in those rare occurances when both wireless and bluetooth are on at the same time. Otherwise no battery drain here...
    Well I know it would use more juice to check for calls every second versus every 4 seconds but it must not be much more because I still haven't seen the battery below 50%
    Just go to his site. He detailed the reasons why he dumped the 6700 and went back to the 650.
    Alrighty then... from the horse's mouth:
    I left my ppc-6700 for multiple reasons. The biggest being, I just was not satissfied with it after having been a treo 650 owner. I kept with it for longer than all the other converts. I had it from Sep 20th to Nov 23rd. During that time I struggled to get myself as happy with it as I was with the treo. In the end, though I was happy with it, I still just wasn't as happy with it as I wanted to be. It's size seems larger than the treo the more you hold it dispite the first time it seeming very very small. The keyboard slider is WAY to loose as everyone else had said. Thus everytime I held it to my ear or pulled it out of my pocket it would open a bit. Those were my main problems with it and if those issues weren't there I would have stayed with it.

However moreso, kudgel / rayban had just joined us in the irc chat and began helping with the treo 650 hacking. He's the first person who has come to help me, and what's more, he's got more knowledge then I do. With him it's finally possible to accomplish a LOT more on this device. Thus in order to be a part of that, I wanted to come back to the treo.

Hope that answers the questions about my motives.
    His reasoning seems to be a bit more nuanced than you presented it. Using loaded words like "dumped" doesn't help your credibility.

It appears he and others are on the verge of gaining access to the bootloader which would (theoretically) allow one to experiment with other OS's on the Treo 650 hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Well I know it would use more juice to check for calls every second versus every 4 seconds but it must not be much more because I still haven't seen the battery below 50%
    FYI - I've just noticed something astonishing:

This week I ordered a spare (OEM, not extended) battery because of the really, really short battery life I'd written about previously. I got it late in the week and swapped it last night. After getting up this morning and using the phone a bit I noticed that after 4 hours off the charger the battery is still at 90%! The included battery would easily have been drained to 70% by now.

So - if anyone else is experiencing extreme battery drain, try a different battery. It sure seems like there was something wrong with my stock one.

For what it's worth, this also means at least for now I seem to be getting better battery life than I was with my Treo.
    That's a good tip about the battery life, though it still won't match the battery life of the 650. To try and claim that a battery with less power coupled with a bloated OS and a higher MHz CPU will last longer is ridiculous.

You're not fooling anyone with that one.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast