Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was at a Sprint store yesterday and saw a demo of the new Treo 700. It's pretty cool. The phone works in a vertical position but to use the pda you turn it sideways and the screen slides up to reveal a nice keyboard. It was silver and pretty rectangular with rounded corners. I was as thick as 1.5 deck of cards. A little boxy looking for my taste. The screen looked nice and high resolution but I don't know how it compares to the 650. Never used it and they said it needs to be special ordered. Will be curious to hear feedback from users.

I think the best part was the horizontal use of the screen and keyboard. Allows more screen real estate and a bigger keyboard. Much better for accessing emails and the net.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 11/03/2005 at 03:36 AM. Reason: adjusted title to match content
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    You saw the new PPC 6700. Not a treo. I have had one now for about a month.

"When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  3.    #3  
    Oh, she said it was the 700 and it didn't have a label on it.

Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    How do you like it?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bioguy
    How do you like it?
    I love it. It took a little getting use to the WM5 interface coming from a 650. Treo 650 users will experience the same thing when they move to the 700w. The big difference is the multitasking ability. One thing I use to hate with the 650 is when I was in an app doing something and I received a phone call or needed to go into another app, the current app was closed, and no data was saved or my place in the app was lost. With WM5 I can be browsing the internet, go and make a call, take a note or two, and return to the internet right in the same place where I left it. And this works for every app.

Because of this multitasking ability of WM5, you can eat up internal memory if you do not close your open programs. Just like on your PC you can have all of your programs open at the same time. Unfortunately the PPC does not have a good "task manager" out of the box. However there are some good add-ons that handle this very well. Most are free and some are available for under $5

Built in Wi-Fi is a cool feature. It is a shame that the new Treo will not have it built in. There is nothing sweeter than being in a airport or coffee shop surfing the web at T1 speed on your phone. Also EVDO works as advertised. It is much faster than the 1X network. I live in a big city so I have no problem finding a EVDO signal.

The keyboard is sweet! I have no problem typing out long emails or text messages. also it looks extra sweet at night with the way it lights up. Also in the box you get all of the accessories you need: the phone, a battery, a USB sync cable, a cradle, a home charger, leather case, and extra stylus. Only thing I had to buy was a Car charger which I found at Wal-Mart for $7! Oh by the way you can charge you phone by USB connected to your PC!

In my opinion the reason why PALM users do not like WM phones is because the palm interface is "simplistic" compared to the WM interface. The WM interface is close to what you see on your home PC. On the PALM an app and its databases are closed upon exiting the app. On a WM phone the app is not closed until you hit the "x" in the upper corner.

I am/was a big fan of the Palm treo. But I thing even for a WM5 release they are missing the boat with the 700w There are already WM5 phones on the market with beater feature sets than the 700w. As for a POS device? Only time will tell. But it will have to take an "amazing" treo to get this 6700 out of my hands.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    My Phone history.....
    700... 6700.. only one character off, hmmm..

I have a 6700 and have been a PPC user for a long time, as well as PalmOS since it started. Even as a techie power user, I prefer the simplicity of Palm, but WM5 is a big step forward and is easier to use than previous PPC versions. WM5 is acceptable but still a little clunky.

BTW, many think a big advantage of Treo form factor is that it has easier one-handed operation. I'm not having difficulty using the 6700 with one hand to my surprise. When opening the keyboard, it's an issue but I'm able to get around fine for basic functions.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    I love it. It took a little getting use to the WM5 interface coming from a 650. Treo 650 users will experience the same thing when they move to the 700w. The big difference is the multitasking ability. One thing I use to hate with the 650 is when I was in an app doing something and I received a phone call or needed to go into another app, the current app was closed, and no data was saved or my place in the app was lost. With WM5 I can be browsing the internet, go and make a call, take a note or two, and return to the internet right in the same place where I left it. And this works for every app.

Because of this multitasking ability of WM5, you can eat up internal memory if you do not close your open programs. Just like on your PC you can have all of your programs open at the same time. Unfortunately the PPC does not have a good "task manager" out of the box. However there are some good add-ons that handle this very well. Most are free and some are available for under $5

Built in Wi-Fi is a cool feature. It is a shame that the new Treo will not have it built in. There is nothing sweeter than being in a airport or coffee shop surfing the web at T1 speed on your phone. Also EVDO works as advertised. It is much faster than the 1X network. I live in a big city so I have no problem finding a EVDO signal.

The keyboard is sweet! I have no problem typing out long emails or text messages. also it looks extra sweet at night with the way it lights up. Also in the box you get all of the accessories you need: the phone, a battery, a USB sync cable, a cradle, a home charger, leather case, and extra stylus. Only thing I had to buy was a Car charger which I found at Wal-Mart for $7! Oh by the way you can charge you phone by USB connected to your PC!

In my opinion the reason why PALM users do not like WM phones is because the palm interface is "simplistic" compared to the WM interface. The WM interface is close to what you see on your home PC. On the PALM an app and its databases are closed upon exiting the app. On a WM phone the app is not closed until you hit the "x" in the upper corner.

I am/was a big fan of the Palm treo. But I thing even for a WM5 release they are missing the boat with the 700w There are already WM5 phones on the market with beater feature sets than the 700w. As for a POS device? Only time will tell. But it will have to take an "amazing" treo to get this 6700 out of my hands.
    Tried to justify this phone, but the form factor and portablity factor is not there, can't see me walking and chatting on Verichat with this thing open, using it one handed, or in the car, very use to the versaliity of the Treo.
    The one handedness of a treo or a blackberrry is key. This thing requires two hands to use the keyboard, right?
    and maybe a neck strap ?
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    I'm not having difficulty using the 6700 with one hand to my surprise. When opening the keyboard, it's an issue but I'm able to get around fine for basic functions.
    Wow. That surprises me. I spent about a half-hour at the NAR in Frisco playing around with the 6700. I could not do the functions that I need to do daily with one hand. Other than that, I loved it. Any tips?
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    I also played with one for about a half hour and for me it was definitely not a one-handed phone.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The one handedness of a treo or a blackberrry is key. This thing requires two hands to use the keyboard, right?
    When is one handedness important? When you are driving in a car? We shouldn’t be writing e-mails at 60 MPH anyway. I had a Treo 600 and 650 and I never typed a 500 character e-mail or 160 character text messages with one hand.

Most if not all and possibly more of the "navigation" functionality of the treo still is found on the 6700. Now I have found minimal difficulty using the phone one handed. I have medium sized hands and I hold the phone in the middle of my hand and I can reach the "Q" and the "P" without a problem.

As far as chatting on verichat...I have a beta version of installed on the phone and I love it. I can type much faster on the 6700 than I did on the 650.

Lets remember that this phone is not a “one size” fits all phone. There are some Die heard Treo’ers here. Hell I was one of them. But I look at die hard treo’ers like I look at Apple users. Apple Users totally hate Microsoft PCs, and the same thing is happening to Palm OS users as it relates to WM5. I will be honest, I can care less about the OS. What is important to me is stability and functionality, lets face it….the treo 650 and the new treo 700w does not compare to the functionality of the 6700. As far as stability, we all know how “stable” the 650 is, the new treo will be as stable as the 6700 but with Palm taking a shortcut on the internal memory, treo 700w users will notice degraded performance quicker than a 6700 user.

Bottom line…..the new treo does not compare to the 6700 functionality wise. Oh by the way I can not by a 700w until Jan (that’s if I switch to verizon) or 2Q 2006 for sprint. I already have a 6700 today.
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    I also played with one for about a half hour and for me it was definitely not a one-handed phone.
    one-handed use of the 6700 is very possible, its just different type of learning curve than the 650. one program that helps immensely is MS Voice Command (which is not just a voice dialing app) and unfortunately, it costs extra but is well worth it. it took me a while to adjust from the 650 but now i can do just about everything one-handed on my 6700 that i could do one-handed on my 650 (with the exception of entering text, need two hands but once you adjust to that, the fuller keyboard makes text entry quicker on the 6700 than on the 650 IMO).
    Do you think an app like big keys would help to keep at least one hand on the wheel?

http://www.pocketpccity.com/software...-pocketpc.html
    I'm on the verge of making the leap myself, and I'm planning on solving the 'one handed' navigation issue with MS Voice Command, which will let me dial, open and close apps, etc. via my Bluetooth headset. Look ma, no hands!
    Man, my experiance with voice prompts goes like this:

Call bank,,,,

Did you say call bank?

Yes,,,,,,,,

OK, lets start over.

@$#&*!!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I have noticed that voice command on my HTC Wizard (basically a GSM version of the 6700) is not as good as it is with my Jam. For now, I think that for those of you who buy PDA phones with full keyboards with the intention of only using on hand to operate them you should stay with the Treo...heck, ya'll really just need Nokias or something, but we all have preferences.

It is interesting that EVERY time someone mentions how the WM devices work well people here want to talk about "one-handedness" of Treos...which is not as true as they'd make it seem. Yes, the Treo can be operated with one hand, but so can all of my WM devices. I just use difference methods. If you have an aversion against touching the screen on your touchscreen device (a bit of a waste I'd say) then you need to stick with a POS.

Remember back when the main reason for POS devices was their reliability? Hehe...I guess the Treos have killed that as of late! Then next thing mentioned was the abundance of software available, yet, this is partly because so much was left out of the devices in the first place. We needed to add software and were willing to pay for it. The comes the "I can flush my toilet with my Treo with one hand!" type arguments, and maybe they are right and toilets are the best place for the Treo to be used (ok, that was really biased!) but none of these are good arguments any longer.

I wish people weren't so tied to the OS that THEY have decided to use. The people who use Palm want to denegrate everything other than Palm devices and the people with WM devices tend to do the same. I have used both and make my decision again every time I buy a new device. I AM NOT LOYAL to any OS and expect them to compete to get my business. If WM stops making me happy you better believe that Palm will see my coin. If not them then someone else...whoever I feel is doing the best for me...
    Should have, would have, this phone won't replace what Treo user's love about the phone, period.
    It seems that one-handedness has become the main attribute and advantage of the Treo.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    PPC-6700 has a lot to offer otherwise.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast