Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    I use the dialer-pad one handed to enter text no problem. I use to use a program on the treo called fat finger because I found it easier to hold the phone one handed securely and tap the screen instead of holding the phone at the very bottom of the phone to type like the treo. There is a similar program for PPC called TouchKeyBoard. (Pics below)

The Treo is definitely the best one-handed device and it also does more for you since thre is so much more software available to suit your needs but the PPC 6700 fo one is a faster device simply because you dont have to end a process before you start another, you dont have to restart a process when needed, you just switch back to it. If the Treo could multitask it would be unreal.

And EVDO is great, the speed of Xiino with the beauty of Blazer. I have found the joystick to be easier to use than the d-pad. The screen is a little more narrow than the Treos but the extra length seems like it makes all the difference in the world. It is unbelievably stable, Im amazed. My Treo was very stable but the Treo still would act a little funny while adding and removing software.

And thank God it dosent have all that ugly fake chrome on the front like the Treo. Also, I think it just flat looks cool!

Phurth
    This is a great thread at pdaphonehome -->link

I copied this from pdaphonehome. Is your PPC slow to ring?

FIX THE SLOW RINGER
    I just got off the phone with advanced support and here's what they had me do to fix it:

1. dial ##<your_MSL_code>#
    2. click edit
    3. enter my 10-digit phone number in both fields (only one had my phone number the other was 10 zeros.)
    4. Press ok, save, and allow reset.
    touchKeyBoard

FatFinger
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    So most of your text entry requires you to use the stylus. I can see that being a very big difference for people coming from the Treo who are used to being able to do things one-handed without ever needing the stylus.
    I think it's hard to find a WM device that is truly one-handed. Though I could be wrong, but I just don't think I ever saw one, except maybe the flip phone MPX 220. Maybe the HP 6515 is, but they had no tester out and I can't really tell just by looking if I can use it one-handed. But I've seen many people use the touch screen for almost everything on WM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I like to touch
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Im typing this with one hand and it is only slightly moore difficult than the treo. I usued T9 on the phone pad to enter quick text and the "abc" to enter names or uncommon words. I have to admit that even with the Treo I would often pause what I was doing to use 2 hands on the KB. The 6700 and WM5 dosent make use of the 5way like Treo does but its not bad. I heard prior version were not as friendly. I can get to most things with the joy stick. And again with the Treo still I tapped the screen half the time because its faster.

Still the treo is easier to use (better text entry and more dpad nav) there are more solutions (software) for your needs.

For me the 6700s bigger screen, EVDO and faster processor combined with PPC multitasking and missing some of Treos flaws makes this device better than the Treo, for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I think it's hard to find a WM device that is truly one-handed. Though I could be wrong, but I just don't think I ever saw one, except maybe the flip phone MPX 220. Maybe the HP 6515 is, but they had no tester out and I can't really tell just by looking if I can use it one-handed. But I've seen many people use the touch screen for almost everything on WM.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the actual phone as well. For example the PPC-6600 has at least 9 programable buttons (you can double that to 18 with a cheap 3rd party add-on where if you hit the button it launches one program or hold it down and it launches another). I am living proof that WM can be non-screen tapping experience for the most part, as I had one my phones with a crack screen for over a month while waiting for a replacement. With having the OK or Close button mapped to a hardkey, unless playing a game I rarely needed to tap the screen.....and that is with WM03 without several of the nice advancements with that WM05 offers. For those times I absolutely needed to tap, I did have the ThinkOutside BT Mouse so I could play some of the tap only games.

With that said, do I tap now? Yes. Did I tap when I had my Treo? Yes. Why? Mostly because I just find it easier in situations on both phones to tap the screen. For me (and Im a not directing this at you TreoLady) tapping a PDA with a Touch Screen is not considered a touch of death.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I used my Treo 650 one-handed, stylus free approx. 99% of the time. I use my QTek 9100 one-handed, stylus free 98.5% of the time. This istruly an amazing phone. Everybody who sees it and plays with it cannot believe the strides in technology this phone exemplifies.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    That's the other version of the 6700, right? I like that version better. But is it true that the phone pad is on the screen? Someone said that on CNET.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    a quick question for you 6700 users, How is the 6700 as first time smart phone? What do you think the learning curve is like for someone not so tech savy? I have a friend who should be receiving hers today, and I'm hoping she will catch on fairly easy, or I forsee lots of tech support calls coming my way for a device I've never even used. Damn I wish she would have just ordered a t650!!
    Man, thats hard to say.......

I check this thread a few times a day........ since its my only real PPC 6700 chat (pdaphonehome is more of a needed info only site aside from the designated chatty threads the mods are pretty strict about staying on topic )

You should tell her to join the board
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I think the learning curve is pretty steep because of the registry hacks used to improve the experience. With the treo you just install hacks like programs (ie Volume Care) but with WM you have to hack the registry. That can be tricky if you don't know what you are doing. Then again there is a program called Tweaks2k2 that simplifies the hacks in a more user friendly UI.

Yes LT, the QTek 9100 AKA the K-Jam is the GSM equivalent of the 6700.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    The K-Jam looks so much better than the 6700. Why didn't HTC make them the same? The K-Jam keyboard works so much better.
    The K-Jam looks so much better than the 6700. Why didn't HTC make them the same? The K-Jam keyboard works so much better.
    Lets try not to think about it.....

Curvier
    buttons you can see
    Dpad
    no antenna

Cr@p cr@p cr@p!

Just kidding
    HTC just makes them to order -like the reseller designs and/or requests it: HTC made the 650 the way Palm spec'd it.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    I think the learning curve is pretty steep because of the registry hacks used to improve the experience. With the treo you just install hacks like programs (ie Volume Care) but with WM you have to hack the registry. That can be tricky if you don't know what you are doing. Then again there is a program called Tweaks2k2 that simplifies the hacks in a more user friendly UI.
    I think that is what most of us die hard POS users are worried about.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I think that is what most of us die hard POS users are worried about.
    FWIW, my 6700 was much better "out of the box" than my Treo. Without VC, my Treo was completely useless. There are certainly a lot of useful utils and registry tweaks for WM - but I don't think any of them are "must-haves" in order to make basic functionality useable.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    how bout vollume care for WINdows 5!!
    A vast majority of the tweaks are just to personalize and fine tune the OS to your personal likes (i.e. change the sound file when you push a button on the phone dialpad, how long the keyboard lights stay on, etc...). For those very few that are very helpful to improve the performance of any WM phone there are free and 3rd party apps that do it all for you.

I have personally found the Registry to be liberating. With my Treo if I wanted something tweaked, I had to wait for, download, or buy a 3rd party utility that was written by someone who knows how to write for POS. With WM, if you are familiar at all with editing a Win Registry, then you can do it all yourself. Here are two versions of what started out as the same thread on two boards showing some of the cool things you can do with the registry.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67950

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=40171
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 11/28/2005 at 06:49 PM.
    I think getting use to PPC would be the same learning curve you'd go through if palm were new to you. I had never used one and had only used a computer really for about 6 years now but I'm pretty comfortable with it.

It is really nice to open a registry editor and type a few characters instead of paying for an app that fights with other apps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Man, thats hard to say.......

I check this thread a few times a day........ since its my only real PPC 6700 chat (pdaphonehome is more of a needed info only site aside from the designated chatty threads the mods are pretty strict about staying on topic )

You should tell her to join the board
    *update*
    (the questions) she's driving me nucking futs lol

(her and boards) I sent her a link to the 6700 sms/picturemail pdaphonehome thread, trying to explain what she would have to do to get around the 6700 limitation... she replied back with a "that's too much reading & I don't speak geek" lol

She did manage to get her vision set up per sprint tech support. Once I set up her email accts, verichat, and show her how to add music & movies... I think she will for the most part be outta my hair. She's got the web & texting part covered. As much as I hate to see someone not using a gadget to its full potential. I think in this case it is best for her to keep it simple.

oh yeah any free alternatives to verichat on the ppc platform, that work just as good?
    Next week's issue of PC Magazine previews the PPC-6700 in its First Looks section -though only briefly in the "In Short" sidebar. It reads in part: "The Sprint PPC-6700 is the best Windows Mobile PDA/Phone we've seen, with nearly ideal balance of size and power. It combines high speed networking and an excellent keyboard in a form that will actually fit in your pocket." It also includes the device in its Best of the Year cover story: it's the only Smartphone selection.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast