Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    You know, gharrod, it is possible that TreoLady works with mobile devices for a living in some capacity. And while your opinion of the Treo may be valid based on some of the GSM units, the CDMA Treo from Sprint and VZW has been a much more stable unit. I can't remember the last time my device had a random reset or inexplicable crash...

Anyway, your condescending post is really pointless and adds little value to this discussion.

gkaatz - While 1-handedness is a great asset of the Treo line, I think that a PPC6700 with Voice Command and a BT headset will work just as well:

"Call GKaatz at home." "Yes."

Seems simple to me.
    Thank you for defending me!

I don't test mobile devices as a line of work, but I do happen to like using them extensively. They come in handy for my actual line of work. So as a consumer, I think my points can be valid.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Your points are always valid with me, LT
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Indicator, I will point to the many countless thousands of posts on TreoCentral forums about the instability of the Treo, my own experience with it over the last (nearly) 4 years of use and the many replacements Sprint has had to provide me.

If she (or anyone else) does work with wireless devices or in the industry then she should reveal that because it then shows she has a bias for business reasons. I get a little tired of those who use these forums to try to manipulate business trends. Let me point out Indicator not me brought up the point about TreoLady working with wireless devices.
    The only bias I have is against devices that I don't click with!! No device is good for me if I dislike using it for any reason. So far, no I don't like the 6700. It's appearance, brickish, doesn't appeal to me. But I'm only speaking of APPEARANCE. Nothing to do with business trends, unless you're talking about selling to people who like cool-looking devices. But people on TC are looking more for functionality. So I probably won't be influencing much of anything!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Your points are always valid with me, LT
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Indicator, I will point to the many countless thousands of posts on TreoCentral forums about the instability of the Treo, my own experience with it over the last (nearly) 4 years of use and the many replacements Sprint has had to provide me.

If she (or anyone else) does work with wireless devices or in the industry then she should reveal that because it then shows she has a bias for business reasons. I get a little tired of those who use these forums to try to manipulate business trends. Let me point out Indicator not me brought up the point about TreoLady working with wireless devices.
    gharrod - what the heck are you doing being so mean to LadyTreo??? I LOVE HER POSTS!!! She always has something useful to say

you can make your points without being so mean --- I think you owe LadyTreo an apology
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    gharrod - what the heck are you doing being so mean to LadyTreo??? I LOVE HER POSTS!!! She always has something useful to say

you can make your points without being so mean --- I think you owe LadyTreo an apology
    Thank you for defending me. I appreciate it!

no worries
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Guys probably don't care as much, but I don't like the 6700. It indeed looks too brickish for me.
    Notice that the 8125(someone posted pics) is supposed to be the same model(just GSM) but styled a bit differently and it looks better. Sometimes styling can make a big difference to someone like me where form is important. Not as important as performance and usability though, but still important!
    I looked at it again in the Sprint store. It is still too thick, but I was a bit unfair on the size. It's OK, but too thick and too seriously rectangular(the rounded edges don't change that). And I really don't like the low-contrast keyboard. Plus the backlight didn't work in the display. This is the 3rd broken display from Sprint concerning that line, first the 6600, now the 6700. I don't know what's going on. People must be beating the crap out of dispaly models at Sprint.

But, I think I'll just wait for the Cingular version.

LadyTreo, I think you"ll love this thing.

I have put it through hell for 4 days now adding and removing programs. Removing built in apps, custom RAM (not ROM) of sorts. Editing the registry, you name it....

And not one freeze, not 1 reset, not one bit of odd behavior. Everything about the PPC 6700 is amazing. Except the lighting on the keyboard. They choose the wrong colored keys, the wrong amount of see through are (back lighting) and its just too dim....

I'm not sure how much this will bug me but there is so much more to hep me get over it
    Unfortunately, I decided to go all GSM, so I need to wait for Cingular's version.

But I did get a bit addicted to WM5 , but I still like Palm better.

http://ww2.abc12.com/global/video/po...1&rnd=72538729
    Nice video news item about the k-jam.

Surur
    That was a cool video. Anyone have a preference on the keyboard between the jam and 6700? (Jam seems to have easier keys to push?)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    That was a cool video. Anyone have a preference on the keyboard between the jam and 6700? (Jam seems to have easier keys to push?)
    Haven't seen the K-Jam, but I'll say again (and agree with Tem) that the 6700 key backlighting is absolutely terrible in any sort of lighted environment. I just turn it off. I have read some reviews that preferred the 6700 keys, with their slight bumpiness. I do like the keyboard though, just not the backlight.

I'd still pick the 6700 over the K-Jam for three reasons:

- EVDO
    - faster processor (even at 400MHz, the 6700 can be pokey from time to time)
    - Sprint CDMA service has thus far been absolutely flawless for me - no dropped calls, crystal clear quality, and 1xRTT data that seems easily as fast as EDGE on my Treo 650.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Haven't seen the K-Jam, but I'll say again (and agree with Tem) that the 6700 key backlighting is absolutely terrible in any sort of lighted environment. I just turn it off. I have read some reviews that preferred the 6700 keys, with their slight bumpiness. I do like the keyboard though, just not the backlight.

I'd still pick the 6700 over the K-Jam for three reasons:

- EVDO
    - faster processor (even at 400MHz, the 6700 can be pokey from time to time)
    - Sprint CDMA service has thus far been absolutely flawless for me - no dropped calls, crystal clear quality, and 1xRTT data that seems easily as fast as EDGE on my Treo 650.
    Im still under contract with sprint so I am not going anywhere. I think the keys on the jam would feel more like the treo versus the bubble keys on the 6700.

On a different note, I noticed in the video that the switch from portrait to landscape was almost instantaneous. Has that been your experience?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

In that video, is that going to be the Cingular 8125? Looks like the one I saw in a photo.

On a different note, I noticed in the video that the switch from portrait to landscape was almost instantaneous. Has that been your experience?
    It depends on two factors:

What (if any) Today screen plug-in(s) are you running?
    - some Today screen plug-ins do an awful lot (display many, many day's worth of calendar entries, for example) and will cause delays in switching

What else is the phone doing?
    - remember WM5 is multi-tasking. If it's checking e-mail and loading a web page in the background (!) while running a couple of other apps that also may or may not be doing something... well that can cause it to slow down as well.

If the answers to the above are "none" and "nothing" - yes, switching is nearly instantaneous. If the answers are "a lot" and "a lot" it can take 3-7 seconds to complete the switch. I actually find myself switching much less often than I'd initially thought I might. Remember WM has several text entry methods besides the physical keyboard...
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Remember WM has several text entry methods besides the physical keyboard...
    That brings up another question...do you do different text input methods because the keyboard is covered and it takes a little more time before you can start typing (if there is a delay)? Is the choice really there for you to pick between keyboard, hand recogn., and tapping on the screen?

Or are you choosing a different method because of the setup? My screen on my treo hardly gets touched (maybe to click on a link in xiino with a fingernail or to highlight some text in a wordoc once in a while.)

That brings up another question...do you do different text input methods because the keyboard is covered and it takes a little more time before you can start typing (if there is a delay)? Is the choice really there for you to pick between keyboard, hand recogn., and tapping on the screen?

Or are you choosing a different method because of the setup? My screen on my treo hardly gets touched (maybe to click on a link in xiino with a fingernail or to highlight some text in a wordoc once in a while.)
    Well both, actually, with a little bit of old habit tossed in. Prior to my Treo I had an iPaq 4350, which is a PPC with a keyboard on the fron like the Treo. Even with the keyboard I still used handwriting very often. I use CalliGrapher which is an excellent 3rd party transcriber that lets you do things like write shortcuts (write "pete" for example, circle it and it'll enter my entire address if I choose). Without even opening the keyboard on my 6700 I have 5 (!) different entry methods I could use (including "graffiti", "jot", an on-screen keyboard, and CalliGrapher has two different handwriting modes). If what I have to enter is short I don't bother with the keyboard because I can do it faster by writing than by typing. If I'm writing an e-mail I'll pop open the keyboard. When I use the keyboard I do so without regard to any delay - it's not that long, really.
    So most of your text entry requires you to use the stylus. I can see that being a very big difference for people coming from the Treo who are used to being able to do things one-handed without ever needing the stylus.
    I don't know about "most" (I'm typing this using the keyboard, for example). I use the large more comfortable keyboard when I have more to type. When I don't, I use a different method on the much larger screen. I prefer it this way, but I can see how it would be a harder adjustment for a long-time Treo user.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast