Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Weird...my impression comparing them side-by-side was that the 6700 felt a bit more compact. I think the Treo's rounded curves gives the illusion of it being a bit larger, though the 6700 is, in fact, a bit thicker.

For me, there is certainly not enough size difference to warrant great concern. Compared to the PPC6600, the 6700 is MiniMe!
    The only way the 6700 is bigger is it's thickness.... every other way the treo is bigger... don't know why a lot of you are saying otherwise...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    If blessed with the sense of sight, you'd be hard pressed NOT to notice a difference in size between the 650 and the 6700. One is sleek and one is a brick.
    Sure

(attachment from SiGGy @ shadowmite.com)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I owned a 6700 for two weeks. Dimensions on paper suggest that they're nearly identical. But in the hand the Treo feels smaller because of the curved back. It is a tangible difference. I remember back in the day when the original Compaq iPaq was touted as being sleek and the Casio PPCs were considered "bricks." Dimension-wise on paper, they were pretty equivalent, but the iPaq had more curves and those translated into the device truly feeling smaller in the hand.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I owned a 6700 for two weeks. Dimensions on paper suggest that they're nearly identical. But in the hand the Treo feels smaller because of the curved back. It is a tangible difference. I remember back in the day when the original Compaq iPaq was touted as being sleek and the Casio PPCs were considered "bricks." Dimension-wise on paper, they were pretty equivalent, but the iPaq had more curves and those translated into the device truly feeling smaller in the hand.
    Amen, brotha.
    Guys probably don't care as much, but I don't like the 6700. It indeed looks too brickish for me.
    Notice that the 8125(someone posted pics) is supposed to be the same model(just GSM) but styled a bit differently and it looks better. Sometimes styling can make a big difference to someone like me where form is important. Not as important as performance and usability though, but still important!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    And you think the Razr is a stylish phone with a good form factor? It is hailed as one of the uggiest excuses for a phone and has no where near the capabilities of a Treo and by the way the Treo is far from being functionally complete. Also it is very unreliable in my long-term experience. When you pay for a device you shouldn't have to debug it for the OS for a year til they replace it with a newer buggy model.

Also, if you are using the Razr I presume you are on ATT, no wait that is Cingular, no wait that is ATT...and I am wondering how you actually have experience using the 6700 on Cingular since it is a Sprint device? Or are your opinions only based upon no experience at all with the device?
    Well I finally played with it at the Sprint store. I like it a lot. The only issues I see immediately is the low speakerphone & ringtone volume. But I will bribe Jeff to make Volumecare for Window M5. :-). The usability is something I will have to get used to but after 3 years with the Treo line, I am ready for a change. Palm is too slow to keep up with technology & frankly anything with a keyboard is a welcome chane at this point. If Palm gets their act together & includes wifi, evdo, and NEW & redesigned form factor then I will gladly come back to Treo. But it looks like the truely redesigned Treo will be GSM only (I am on SPrint & do not want to leave). LAME! I was VERY loyal & partial to Treos but I realize now my loyalty lies with the "best" phone for me & the Treo as of now doesn't cut it anymore. Also I don't get the arguement of people who need this one handed business! I have NEVER in three years of owning Treos relied on one handedness. Scrolling through apps maybe but as soon as I start typing in ANY app I ALWAYS have used TWO hands. You one handers are extremely "talented" or just making up excuses becuase you are Treo snobs. Oh well. Time will tell. We need some freindly competition in the game...
    So you've never shortcutted to a name in Contacts by tapping the initials on the exposed keyboard of your Treo in 1 handed fashion? Try doing that with a slide out-rotate-to-use keyboard. I'll give you the fact that for SMSing that layout is superior. For a phone the Treo form factor may be old but there is a reason it is #1.
    You know, gharrod, it is possible that TreoLady works with mobile devices for a living in some capacity. And while your opinion of the Treo may be valid based on some of the GSM units, the CDMA Treo from Sprint and VZW has been a much more stable unit. I can't remember the last time my device had a random reset or inexplicable crash...

Anyway, your condescending post is really pointless and adds little value to this discussion.

gkaatz - While 1-handedness is a great asset of the Treo line, I think that a PPC6700 with Voice Command and a BT headset will work just as well:

"Call GKaatz at home." "Yes."

Seems simple to me.
    I think the whole treo/ppc thing comes down to this;

The treo has lived on the fact that it is the most tightly integrated and efficient os out there. It is a a very functional device that is intuitive and easy to use.

PPCs prior to the 6700/WM5 have been the opposite. Power house devices that have advanced feature sets and connectivity options but are a PITA to use-especially when coming from a treo.

The 6700/wm5 changes all of this. Does it offer everything that the teo does in regards to intuitiveness, ease, and simplicity? No. But it has closed the gap considerably-while also increasing the gap on what has always been the ppc strongsuits.

The next treo is the most important treo ever. If it proves to be another minor upgrade over the 650 than the treos are dead. The next treo needs to be a ground-breaker or the next round of ppcs will be better at everything.
    Indicator, I will point to the many countless thousands of posts on TreoCentral forums about the instability of the Treo, my own experience with it over the last (nearly) 4 years of use and the many replacements Sprint has had to provide me.

If she (or anyone else) does work with wireless devices or in the industry then she should reveal that because it then shows she has a bias for business reasons. I get a little tired of those who use these forums to try to manipulate business trends. Let me point out Indicator not me brought up the point about TreoLady working with wireless devices.
    Everyone has different experiences with their Treos. I guess I've been fortunate that I've had very positive experiences with the quality level of every Treo I've owned, and I've owned two Treo 300's (one for me, one for my wife), a Treo 600, and a Treo 650. The Treo 300's eventually suffered from the broken hinge problem, but that was after a *lot* of use and they were replaced under the extended warranty I purchased. My Treo 650 performed better after the first Sprint ROM update. I hated VersaMail so I switched back to Snappermail and I still suffer from an occasional soft reset, but it's infrequent enough and recovers quickly enough that it hasn't been a problem.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Indicator, I will point to the many countless thousands of posts on TreoCentral forums about the instability of the Treo, my own experience with it over the last (nearly) 4 years of use and the many replacements Sprint has had to provide me...
    You do know that the classic definition of insanity is to repeat the same behavior over and over expecting a different result?

Maybe your real answer is outside the Palm spirit world.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Full disclosure: Indicator=a guy who works in the wireless industry.

I work with devices across all networks, including international carriers, so any 'bias' I may have is a direct result of extensive experience with a huge variety of devices and wireless networks.

My personal service is still with Sprint. I've owned two Treo's - a 600 and a 650. Never had any problems, never needed replacements, despite my repeated mistreatment of said devices by dropping them on concrete, etc. The only issues I've ever had were a direct result of me putting unstable software on the device. Removal of said software resulted in the device performing as expected. YMMV - and it obviously does for some people.

What you need to understand, gharrod, is that your personal experiences do not equal the experiences of all users. The whiny minority always out-posts the contented majority. If the Treo was the terrible device you make it out to be gharrod, I would question why it is the #1 smartphone available today...and I would question why you continued to put yourself through 4 years of pain and agony for such a lame device...
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    The whiny minority always out-posts the contented majority. ........the Treo.......... is the #1 smartphone available today......
    And the last dozen "how do you like your treo" polls prove this.

50% love it
    30% like it
    10% say its ok
    5% had a problem with 1 unit
    5% dont like it.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/poll....lts&pollid=875

http://discuss.treocentral.com/poll....lts&pollid=760

http://discuss.treocentral.com/poll....lts&pollid=757

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...highlight=poll

Sorry I'm to busy to pull up the other polls
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    And you think the Razr is a stylish phone with a good form factor? It is hailed as one of the uggiest excuses for a phone
    I can't believe you are saying this. The Razr was hailed as one of the hottest phones ever made, when it first came out. Other phone manufacturers have been falling all over themselves with imitations (e.g. Samsung "Blade"). It seems to me that you are trying to put someone down by dissing their phone. I think you should grow up. This isn't a junior high school lunchroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You do know that the classic definition of insanity is to repeat the same behavior over and over expecting a different result?

Maybe your real answer is outside the Palm spirit world.
    Too funny. Great post.
    And you think the Razr is a stylish phone with a good form factor? It is hailed as one of the uggiest excuses for a phone and has no where near the capabilities of a Treo and by the way the Treo is far from being functionally complete. Also it is very unreliable in my long-term experience. When you pay for a device you shouldn't have to debug it for the OS for a year til they replace it with a newer buggy model.

Also, if you are using the Razr I presume you are on ATT, no wait that is Cingular, no wait that is ATT...and I am wondering how you actually have experience using the 6700 on Cingular since it is a Sprint device? Or are your opinions only based upon no experience at all with the device?
    Did you read my sig and post carefully? You wouldn't have asked that if you had! Note the part where I said RAZR DOESN'T win for functionality! And I use Cingular. I dumped Sprint. My opinion is on the 6700's appearance ONLY in case you forgot to read that too! Notice I said the upcoming Cingular version LOOKS better. I never said 6700 wasn't functional.

Please read my posts carefully the next time. You got defensive for nothing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!