Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    PPC-6700 has a lot to offer otherwise.
    Like I said before, I buy a phone based on functionality and stability. As of now, the PPC-6700 has way more functionality and is far more stable than the Treo 650. Also, as it stands right now, the PPC-6700 has more functionality than the proposed Treo 700w.

For me....the biggest deal breaker with the new treo is the wi-fi. We have been pleading with Palm to release a phone with built in wi-fi. Did they listen? Yes, but with only one ear. "Wi-fi" capable is not built in wifi. Why get it right on your PDA's But miss it on your PDA Phone? This is a huge miss that will keep real power users from buying the new treo.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    When is one handedness important? When you are driving in a car? We shouldn’t be writing e-mails at 60 MPH anyway.
    Wha??!! It's important every day! I've been paying attention lately just to see how much I use the Treo for its one-handedness.

It's absolutely amazing how many times I use it that way when it would be difficult, if not dangerous, to have to operate it with both hands. Sure, I use it one-handed while driving to check up on my business operations through email and SMS 40-80 times a day. And just like many people, I scroll through contacts with one hand while holding a sandwich or drink in the other.

But, what about other situations where we have just become so accustomed to using the Treo one-handed that we actually forget how convenient it is? Like the times you're just finishing up in the bathroom, the phone rings with the call you've been waiting for and you only have one clean, free hand for whatever reason. You need to answer the phone and enter some notes on the call, or look up some information for the caller. One-handed operation rules in this type of scenario.

You're at your mother-in-laws far too long. You're trying desperately to act interested the seventeenth time she tells a story. Rather than kill yourself in front of family members, isn't it more sensible to discreetly surf the web one-handed and nod your head every once-in-a-while so she thinks you're the best listener in the world while you catch up on TreoCentral posts? I mean, come on, how the crap are you gonna do that with an 8125 or a 6700?

You finally get the baby to sleep after trying for hours. One false move and the baby wakes up. And you've got 'early day' tomorrow. You can't afford to move the arm pinned under the baby, but you've got to update your notes for work. How you gonna do that with a slide out keyboard?! Huh? Huh?

Your boss is running out the door. You're helping him make it to his flight on time, running out the door with his briefcase, all of his last minute file folders, and his pet cat. He hurriedly gets in the cab, you give him his briefcase, his file folders, his hands are completely full, and you're left holding holding his most prized possession in the world. You're waving goodbye when suddenly he reminds you that you were supposed to Bluetooth him that last TPS report from your Treo to his and change the title of it so he can find it amidst all of his other TPS reports. The cabbie is revving up, you've got seconds to begin transmitting that report and you can't put the cat down. It ain't no thang with the Treo, but if you've got an i730 or some such other PDA requiring two hands to open, you're kinda screwed now aren't you? Well now....they don't seem like such smart phones now do they?

I dunno. I'm noticing so many instances where I truly use the Treo with one hand that I think I'd sooner go back to a 600 if I can't work out some of these 650 problems than move to a part-time one-handed device.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Bathroom? Gross dude!

In-laws? That's rude...

Baby? Priorities...

Boss? Needs to do that himself.

What is a "TPS" report anyway?
    Like I said before, I buy a phone based on functionality and stability. As of now, the PPC-6700 has way more functionality and is far more stable than the Treo 650. Also, as it stands right now, the PPC-6700 has more functionality than the proposed Treo 700w.

For me....the biggest deal breaker with the new treo is the wi-fi. We have been pleading with Palm to release a phone with built in wi-fi. Did they listen? Yes, but with only one ear. "Wi-fi" capable is not built in wifi. Why get it right on your PDA's But miss it on your PDA Phone? This is a huge miss that will keep real power users from buying the new treo.
    Let me play with it some more and I will get back to ya !
  5.    #25  
    Thanks for all the opinions.

I'm curious whether the sound on the phone is any better than the 650. I've had many complaints about that. Also, how is bluetooth and what's the battery situation? Any reviews anywhere?
    When is one handedness important?
    When your other hand is:
    - holding a briefcase.
    - holding a stack of papers
    - holding a portfolio
    - holding a notepad
    - holding onto a subway/bus handhold
    - playing pocket pool
    - putting food in your mouth
    - Holding the steering wheel of a speeding car in dense traffic during a driving rainstorm ... with fog

There's lots of reasons for one-handed functionality in the daily work/social environment.
    I should have a 6700 soon. I am going to try to get my company to buy me one but will buy it myself if that doesn't work out. I write software for PPC and they are considering equiping field techs with 6700 phones. Hey, I need one for testing right?!

I think I will miss the one handed advantage that the 650 has but believe it will be worth the tradeoff.
    My Windoze toolz http://www.securitysoftware.cc
    Quote Originally Posted by bioguy
    Thanks for all the opinions.

I'm curious whether the sound on the phone is any better than the 650. I've had many complaints about that...
    My question exactly! I love my 650, and one-handed operation; but if a WM5 device (Wizard?) gave me Nokia quality phone calls (NO MORE - "WHAT DID YOU SAY?") and dropped in WiFi to boot, it would be ADIOS TREO!

So tell us, how's phone call quality on the Wizard and 6700?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    To answer the question, yes, the 6700 call quality and sound clarity is excellent. Like the treo, it can be considered a little soft, and the speakerphone is TOO soft. But the quality and clarity are the best I've ever seen in a smartphone. And the numbers spygoose has gathered indicate the 6700's radios blow the 650 out of the water in reception as well.

Palm users will be palm users. Those who are not in capable of understanding that everything changes should take a look at the 6700. I'm glad I switched and I'll never go back.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Also, as it stands right now, the PPC-6700 has more functionality than the proposed Treo 700w.
    You cant really make that statement until you see what the 700w will add to the basic WM5 OS. They have done a LOT of work to differentiate themselves from the competition. I would say the 700w will be much better for a lot of people having seen a demo of it. Just for reference I own an i730 and a 6700.. and a bunch of other pocketpc devices.

For me....the biggest deal breaker with the new treo is the wi-fi
    I disagree with this statement as well. I don't ever use WiFi since EVDO is fine for just about everything. I actually now prefer that the device not have WiFi

The only time I use WiFi is if I need to do data and talk at the same time since that is not possible with EVDO....yet.
    think of it this way...TREO for one handed typers who have no ability to type with more then one finger at a time. PPC-6700 is for those who don't want to constantly reset their devices. How many Treo users can take the back off and use the stylus to reset their Treo with one hand??? Oh...that is why someone had to come out with an after-market battery door for a Teo because it has to be reset so often. Case closed! If you want to reset your device after disassembling it and reasembling it at least once a day then the Treo is the one-handed device for you!!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    gharrod.. think you should state that you are refering to the Palm OS version of the Treo.
    gex, since that is the only version available for the next 6 months I don't see why it is necessary to state that...or are you saying you magically have one of the Treo 7XXWM5's?????

I find it amusing the only thing the POS holdouts are hanging their hat on is the one-handed operation. The PPC-6700 I find to be very friendly to one-handed use with WM5. But hey I don't try to IM or write e-mails when driving as so many Treo owners claim is their most important use of their device. Just please let them not drive in my neighborhood. As Shadow points out the sound and clarity is so much better. Also the reliability of the device is eons ahead of my Treo experience. And as others have pointed out the bluetooth has much greater range and the wifi is way cool. Oh, and the EVDO I had a 2meg signal a couple weeks ago.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    *cough* *January* *cough*
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    *cough* *January* *cough*
    *cough* *only on Verizon* *cough*
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    lol.. I recently switched and must say I love the 6700. one of my biggest concerns was battery life but I get through the day just fine..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    lol.. I recently switched and must say I love the 6700. one of my biggest concerns was battery life but I get through the day just fine..
    I recently made the switch as well and I must admit I'm hooked. The only thing that took some getting used to was the slide out keypad...

Does anyone know the server settings for our sprint picture mail settings? (Number@pm.sprint.com)

Since this is the only way to send picture mail I would like to set up that email account within outlook. (so if the person replies to the picture mail I get the response as a sms message instead of checking my email...)

And as for one "handedness"... if you are worried about sending a text message while typing with one hand it is very simple... use the DIAL PAD TOUCH SCREEN... I just found out that was even possible and it helps me out a lot since I am always sending text messages.
    Last edited by Bad Ash; 11/05/2005 at 01:57 PM.
    wifi: does that work with wifi at home or do I need to sign up for sprint wifi?

where did you get one? they tell e they are not in the stores yet and the ones on the web are only for new users.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnew
    wifi: does that work with wifi at home or do I need to sign up for sprint wifi?

where did you get one? they tell e they are not in the stores yet and the ones on the web are only for new users.
    the wifi does pick up my homes wireless network and works flawlessly... so does the evdo.
    I picked mine up at a small dealer for $350. pm me if you want his number. had the phone in one day!
    Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    Damn! You've switched too??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast