Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  2.    #2  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    This is the HTC Wizard, also the same thing as the i-mate k-jam. Correct??
    If so the reviews I read so far make this look like a sweet device!
  4.    #4  
    from what I've gathered its the same as the kjam/qtek. def sweet.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  5.    #5  
    HTC* typo in thread title
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I'm having the damndest time finding the details on the HTC 8125. HTC's web site doesn't even have product info which quite frankly scares me from a product support standpoint. If the manufacturer doesn't support the product, you rely soley on Cingular. I for one would be more interested in an unlocked/unbranded model if at all possible. I'm not sure if that's even an option? Who supports this device?

In any case here are the specs on the i-mate k-jam. So if it's the same thing here are the details: http://www.imate.com/DETAILS_KJAM.htm
    This sucker does everything! Quad Band, Wifi (b/g/e/i), Class B/10 EDGE, WM5, stereo speakers, AMR/AAC/WAV/WMA/MP3, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth 1.1, mini-USB, mini-SD. I assume windows media 10?

Hmm, I may have to re-direct my Christmas wish from an XBOX 360 to one of these. Sigh... I'm just so reluctant to take the plunge to Windows. It seem inevetable, but I'm so 'happy' and comfortable with the Treo 650, I know it'll be an -adjustemnt- going to WM5. But this is so much more capable.
    Don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean it's "better" than a Treo. The functional design is quite different meaning the experience is very differnet.
  7.    #7  
    I'm happy with my 650 too, but if the kjam was cheaper I wouldve at least tried one by now. just like I'm happy with my girlfriend, but if halle berry walked in the room I'd try her.

the way this HTC was spotted was on Cingular's ringtone site. it should be all the same specs as the kjam, and its offered with or without the camera.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    If Exchange SP2 works out w/ Push Email (diverting me away from Chatter), I am ready to jump ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    CPcrazyfly

Where did you get the hires pictures of the 8125? Everything I've seen ahs been microscopic or extremely out of focus CITA pics?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    CPcrazyfly

Where did you get the hires pictures of the 8125? Everything I've seen ahs been microscopic or extremely out of focus CITA pics?

Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    Are/is there a 3rd party web browser that will run on WM5 that is similar to Xiino in that it uses a proxy server to shrink images and format pages prior to download? I use Xiino all of the time with the "preview images" (black and white images) setting so pages load really fast.

Before I take the plunge to a WM 5 device. I want to make sure I have alternate web browsers, instant messaging app is as good as the Treo, and I can get MobiTV (which isn't available on WM yet)

Here's more on this phone at HoFo:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=6124474
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    You probably won't need a third party browser, though there are a few available. Pocket IE is pretty damn good. You can strip pictures out to load text faster, format pages into one column to eliminate side scrolling, you can connect through a proxy (as far as I know, I've not tried it), and now that I'm using Edge on my Wizard I can say that it is pretty quick. I greatly prefer browsing on this over doing so on the Treo 650. In fact, even without Edge I prefer the browser in WM 2003 and 2005 devices because it is more like on my computer.

However, I still think that messaging will be better on the Treo, at least for now. I prefer the Treo's keyboard and the SMS application much more than that of the Wizard. I don't use instant messaging though so I can't answer much on that. I suggest playing with one to find out for yourself. It'll answer more questions than you'll think to ask...
    Part of what makes Treo web browsing so painful is not the download speed, it's Blazer choking on the page content. It takes longer to render the pages than it does the download the content so downloads a little, paues, download more, pauses, until you get some stupid error that the page is too large.
    So if the IE browser included can render the page nearly as fast as you can download at EDGE speed it's probablly just fine.
    Thanks for the answer. I'm sure I'll think of more good quetions. I definatley intend to test drive one as soon as I can find one to try.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i think i can respond to this as this was my #1 concern when i had my treo. i was sick and tired of waiting over a minute and a half for cnn.com to load, let along over 60 seconds just for the text to show up! no joke. mind you, at this time the 650 had not come out and i'm sure there have been decreases in loading times since the 600, but nonetheless...

when the 6600 came out, the first question i asked was... how quick is pie? (pocket internet explorer) can someone run tests and time it? many people did, including hobbes, mr duckworth and i believe farzon, to name a few. the general consensus was, and this was BEFORE evdo was released on verizon, it would take 5-10 seconds for text to show up, maybe not even that long, and pictures would load after that.

now, the 6700 / wizard / 8125 uses wm5, which has upgraded their browser to internet explorer mobile, along with a slew of "mobile" stamped upgrades. the new IE has more options and allows you the ability to click and save pictures within a webpage along with telling you how much of the webpage is down/completed percentage wise. if you remember in the hayday of netscape and dial up, there would be a percentage bar on the bottom of the page showing you how much was completed. i believe both IE for desktop and Firefox both incorporate the "visual" bar percentage completed, but do not give actual 59% or 75% downloading numbers, whereas ie mobile for the 8125/wizard/6700 does. you will truly be amazed and it is very similar to a normal computer. as a matter of fact, what i usually do is i check cnn.com about 20 times a day, and after about 5 seconds i push the stop button (because i dont need it to format and download pictures i've already seen). xiino couldnt compete on the 600 compared to ie on wm2003se, which is what i'm using now, and i'8 going through Sprints proxy server, as opposed to using xiino's on the 600. it is truly one of my favorite things to do on my 6600-browse. as a matter of fact, for the last 3 weeks exactly i've been limited to only using this for computer purposes. while there are a few times pocket ie doesnt work 100% (not all java scripts work properly) it is darn good. not to mention having macromedia flash embedded in the web page! can xiino or blazer users watch strongbad at www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html ? these little joys remind me how valuable a browser that works properly is.

btw, 2 other notable browsers are Netfront and Thunderhawk. Netfront, while a large 3rd party app, throws everything and i mean EVERYTHING you have at it, including all java script. but it comes at a price. thunderhawk essentially formats your 320x240 screen to be a full browser size screen with readable fonts, and does so nicely, but again, at a price (and i believe thunderhawk is monthly or yearly)

there is also minimo, which is short for mini mozilla (from the makers of mozilla/firefox) but that is still in beta and unfortunately takes a huge amount of memory currently (but they are working of fixing that!)

hope this helps,
    sledgie

ps if you can, go into a store and test it by bringing up cnn.com and you will see what i mean.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i should mention if you want to watch tv, or stream media to your handheld from a computer, goto www.orb.com

it essentially allows you to make your computer at home a multimediacenter and stream audio, pictures, or video (including live or recorded tv if you have a tv card) to your handheld. it will stream it in windows media, 3gp, or real player. as of this writing, wmp9 is included in wm2003se devices and wmp10 on wm5.

the only bad news is ITS FREE! YES! HOW HORRIBLE THAT I CANT THROW MY MONEY AWAY!

there has been a recent 6700 website for links that popped up, namely

www.pocketgateway.com

that has audio, video links and live tv. you can access it via your home computer too. i recently started using the link that leads to SmarTVideo
    which has msnbc live and cnbc, along with others (but i think those are the only 2 live streams). mobitv isnt necessarily the best anymore, especially with free options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    ...However, I still think that messaging will be better on the Treo, at least for now. I prefer the Treo's keyboard and the SMS application much more than that of the Wizard. I don't use instant messaging though so I can't answer much on that. I suggest playing with one to find out for yourself. It'll answer more questions than you'll think to ask...
    So what's the answer (as The Gadgeteer would say - which one is your daily driver)? The deck looks stacked in favor of the Wizard (must say I like the design of the k-Jam over the Cingular reference design); didnt think I find a replacement for my precious (Treo 650)
    I like the overall design of this device better than the 6700 - DPad, no antenna, etc. It just looks like a more sleek unit.

But EVDO greatly surpasses EDGE in terms of data speeds, and I've never been pleased with the quality of GSM networks in the US (voice quality and reliability). I think the 6700 is still the better device for me.
    My experience has been exactly the opposite. Questionable call quality and drop outs on CDMA, but ever since I've been on GSM I think the call quality is superior. Crystal clear and I never have to repeat myself like on CDMA.
    Perhaps it's a matter of the equipment (the phones) that we've used.
    I would like to see the handheld support UMTS/HSDPA instead of just EDGE, though.

I personally think I might take the wait and see approach. Let people buy it and see what they start complaining about. Also I'm hoping to hear about a Treo 700w for GSM (or UMTS hopehope) before I buy my next device. I'd hate to get the 8125 and 2 months later hear about a better Treo so I'd like to know what the Treo will be before I buy a competing product.
    For me it looks like it's between the 8125, the Treo 700w on Cingular, or the HP 6517. The latter 2 haven't even been announced or even know when/if they'll be available.

One thing I'm stuck on is form factor. The 8125 is nice, but I'm just not sure about the slide out keyboard yet. I love my Vaja case on my Treo in that I don't have to open it up or take it out of the case to use it. So if I drop it, it's not plastic on cement. I loath belt clips/holsters. A flip open case isn't out of the question, I just have to play with it before I know.

If poeple start getting the 8125 and have rave reviews. Maybe I'll take the plunge at tax return time around Feb.
    Last edited by taylorh; 11/03/2005 at 12:04 PM.
    It is likely related to network and devices. Here in the PNW, GSM has been pretty wacky the past two years. First Cingular and AT&T were fighting for spectrum, then AT&T launched GSM850, then Cingular bought them out, and had problems integrating networks, etc.

With Sprint, they've always been at 1.9Ghz CDMA, and I've never had issues with call quality or coverage. But I've been using Treo's the whole time on Sprint, whereas I've used a ton of various devices on GSM - varying from the cheapo-Nokia stuff to high-end PPC's, Palm and Blackberry devices.

YMMV, but Sprint has been good to me so far.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast