Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Benq P50 PDA Phone looks alot like the Treo, similar keyboard and screen layout but it has one thing the 700w doesn't BUILT IN WIFI! also no nub antenna. Runs Windows Mobile.
    Wow, I love old information!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Wow, I love old information!
    Are you sure this is old info?
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 10/26/2005 at 07:12 PM. Reason: revised so link will always work
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Hmm. The 'Where to Buy' link must be broken?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

<moved>
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    <moved>

hehe...you beat me to it!

Anyway, the P50 is one of the biggest vaporware of all time. It was first leaked to the press almost 2 YEARS AGO for gawds sakes! If it finally does make it to market, then good for them but they are very late considering all the other more appealing WM devices in the market now...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There are a few folks on HowardForums who got these but the firmware was very buggy. I haven't checked in the last couple of weeks, so I'm not sure if that's been improved. It's a shame these don't have WM5. It's even got the two hard buttons that could work for that, though it seems to lack the dedicated OK hard button. The 64MB ROM could be too tight for WM5, but if not, I wouldn't be surprised to see a WM5 update offered for this. OTOH, after my experience with WM5 on the PPC-6700, I'm not sure users would be missing much, as WM5 felt a bit sluggish, buggy, and many apps were in need of updates to work well with it.

Although this is one of the older (in terms of when it was first announced) WM PPC smartphones, from a Treo competitor perspective I actually still think that this remains one of the best. Compared to the PPC-6700, it's got SD (vs miniSD) and an always-available thumbboard. Compared to the upcoming Treo 700w, it's got the standard-sized 240x320 screen and Wi-Fi.

Other than the PPC OS itself, what's not to like?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I really like the design, no antenna wifi is the biggest selling point for me Palm keeps dropping the ball with their products selling half crippled PDA's with now keyboard and PDA phones that aren't 100% phones interms of services and syncing. Althought the only product that could be better than this would probably be "something" that only Apple could pull off.
    Don't get me wrong...the Benq has all the features that I want...wifi, bt, 1.3mp cam, landscape screen. Its just that it sucks that its not here now.

Quote Originally Posted by blee4
    I really like the design, no antenna wifi is the biggest selling point for me Palm keeps dropping the ball with their products selling half crippled PDA's with now keyboard and PDA phones that aren't 100% phones interms of services and syncing. Althought the only product that could be better than this would probably be "something" that only Apple could pull off.
    Then why are you here?

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Then why are you here?
    I got suckered into it, they don't actually let you fully use the device in stores had I known you need all these "hacks" and work arounds to get the thing running the way you wanted to I wouldn't have made te plunge. As is trying to sync with my mac address book is a pain in the *** all the contact all get shoved under "unfiled" and alot of the fields don't get transfered. My last palm was a palm VX, I figured palm would have made some big strieds in the last oh 5 years but I guess not. Treo hardware is great but the OS is pure garbage, you have to download all these hacks just to get the device to behave in a way that makes sense for example... the two side buttons are mapped to the stupidest funcions ringer volume up and down thats retarded how often do you need to change yoru ringer volume? Why not make it a scroll key when it's not in phone mode??? And the side button as a launcher why??? why not make it mapable to oh the select key or something those two tiny changes alone would make using the device with one hand that much easier instead you need to download a hack to get it to work.
    Would consider if it ran WM5. I won't own another device that looses its memory when the battery dies.
    My Windoze toolz http://www.securitysoftware.cc
    I'm telling you guys - keep your eye on the HTC Wizard!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I really want to get my hands on a Nokia N61. I had a Blackberry before my Treo 650 and it was a super email device. It had no storage, however, and that killed it for me. Also internet on a Blackberry sucks, and sucks hard. My Treo does it all with aplumb! But this Nokia shows promise.....
    This thing is GPRS only. No mention of EDGE. No thanks.
    I just found out about this phone. Benq has it featured on their website. It's a pretty slick looking Treo knock-off, but it looks like it's got enough features not to be called a knock-off!

Two questions:

1. So will it ever be able to do WM5?

2. Can I get this with Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrappedAtUF
    I just found out about this phone. Benq has it featured on their website. It's a pretty slick looking Treo knock-off, but it looks like it's got enough features not to be called a knock-off!

Two questions:

1. So will it ever be able to do WM5?

2. Can I get this with Sprint?

No and NO...

Quote Originally Posted by blee4
    As is trying to sync with my mac address book is a pain in the *** all the contact all get shoved under "unfiled" and alot of the fields don't get transfered. My last palm was a palm VX, I figured palm would have made some big strieds in the last oh 5 years but I guess not.
    First of all, if you just tried to sync all your old pim from the Vx to the 650, then that was your first major mistake. Instead you should have properly followed Palm upgrade guide for the 650 which can be found on the support pages.

And the side button as a launcher why??? why not make it mapable to oh the select key or something those two tiny changes alone would make using the device with one hand that much easier instead you need to download a hack to get it to work.
    HUH? Read teh manual...the side button can be mapped to other apps already from the prefs menu. All the other features can be enabled with 3rd party software. I agree, it would have nice to have some of these features builtin, but at least there are solutions...