Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just read where HP will be releasing their IPAQ HW6515 to the US Market through Cingular Wireless. I haven't found any reviews comparing this phone with the Treo and would be interested in how they face off.

Asides from the obvious difference (Windows vs. Palm OS) the HP is a tad thinner but a tad larger. I can't see where it has Wi-fi but does have intergrated GPS which could prove useful.

There is a lot of instability issues with Windows Mobile OS and the recent upgrade (WM5) was so full of problems it drove me back to Palm OS.

Treo has enjoyed the cornerstone of the "smartphone" market for a while and may have become too comfortable in this position. THe introduction of the HP phone to the US market may motivate Palm to aggressively develop a new Treo.

I didn't notice many changes between the 600 and 650. Maybe the next model will incorporate some consumer suggestions (i.e. Wi-fi, more memory, etc.).
    I don't konw much about the HP phone specifically, however for my uses (navigating while in a car) a built-in GPS is not an advatage. I much prefer a Bluetooth GPS. When you sit inside a car the phone doesn't always have a good view of the sky and reception can be poor. For reliable operation you'd need an active antenna connected with a cable. This does away with thany advantage of a built-in GPS. I've seen how the signal degrades as you move the BT receiver within the car.

BT GPS receivers are very small and can easily be put on a dashboard so they have a clear view of the sky. They are also not too bad to carry in a pocket or a backpack.

On the other hand, if the application is to navigate while walking or hinking, perhaps having verything built in could be useful. I just don't use my phone much in this mode so I'd rather just carry the BT receiver in my pocket for the few times I do this.
  3. sns
    If You're asking particularly regarding GPS - dedicated GPS device is much more usable.
    1. It is submersible
    2. It will work up to 30 hrs
    3. It has available maps for any purpose

On the other hand, for some limited amount of time it might be interesting to use 6515. Or in the car, since it has big display. However somewhat slow map software and not very good GPS receiption has been reported for this device. Also some not standart GPS module.
    Quote Originally Posted by sns
    1. It is submersible
    Probably not. But I can find my own way to the bathroom
  5. sns
    Probably yes. Most dedicated handheld GPS devices are IPX7 ultrasonic welded and can withstand 30 minutes in 1 meter deep water (if I'm correct).
    Furthermore, some of them are floating.
    My Garmin is submersable (sp)... GPSMap60CS
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Here's a pretty good review of a preproduction one: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1848809,00.asp
    I don't think it's a matter of motivation for Palm; I think it's a matter of not having enough money to make the investments required in both software and hardware to compete with wealthy specialized competitors.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I have had an HP6515 since Sept. and love it! My Treo crapped out after the Cingular firmware update and was worse than ever. Then the touchscren failed completely. A friend of mine surprised me and gave me the IPAQ. While I am sure the Treo is/was fine (until the firmware upgrade), I much prefer the IPAQ. It syncs much better with my PC and Exchange Server, I get email dynamically, I can ue native Windows aps and as far as the GPS goes I think it is great! I use it all over he west coast. Creating videos with Microsoft Encoder/DVD to Pocket PC and moving them to the IPAQ is a snap within Windows Media 10. The bluetooth (I use Bluespoon AX) is much louder and has a better range than with Treo and the phone itself is lot louder. I like the fact I can load a 2gb SD card and a 1gb Mini SD for a ton of outboard memory. No, it's not perfect (processor is not exactly a Ferrari but it works fine for my needs) but so far I like it and my warranty replaced Treo is in the desk drawer next to a couple of other phones as a backup. So far I have not needed it...
    i bought a 6515 and took it back very quickly. slow, sluggish, terrible screen and no advantage over the 650 at all except GPS. the 6715 is due out soon which is meant to be a better machine but the 700p will also be out. the rumored 69XX series should be out in May.
    Wow, I share none of your observations. I guess since mine was free I could not complain. Plus the fact that my 650 crapped out after firmware upgrade. I'm not the kind of person who "waits" for the next device. There will always be something better eventually. I don't want to wait forever. When something better comes out, I will get that. Right now the 6515 does everything I want it to do and better than my Treo did.
    on paper its better. but its a step back except for the GPS. slower, worse resolution, W2003 and its larger. I took mine back after 1 day. now I have a custom ROM and the 650 is finally doing what its meant to do, I will wait until there is a smaller, slimmer, faster device with better resolution before making the swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    on paper its better. but its a step back except for the GPS. slower, worse resolution, W2003 and its larger. I took mine back after 1 day. now I have a custom ROM and the 650 is finally doing what its meant to do, I will wait until there is a smaller, slimmer, faster device with better resolution before making the swap.
    Netdavid's evaluation is based on experience, not paper, buddy. BTW, where did you get your 6515 and do you think a day was a meaningful trial?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    To all:

If you don't own it already, do not consider the 6515.

The 6715/6710 is slated for a January 2006 release. Everything the 6515/6510 has with the addition of Windows Mobile 5 and WiFi.

Patience, my naughty little donkeys *crack*

This from a Treo addict and non-willing owner of a 6510 (the cameraless version; meh, it was a gift...)
    Thanks, IAV; any links? Still just Cingular?
    This is from a recovering Treo user, now always open to the next better idea.
    Rodolfo:

Is this to wean yourself off Palms entirely, or something to play with until the next-gen Treo's come out? Because no doubt the next gen Treo's will dominate. In usability, feaures, size and carrier availability.

Just saying.

Note the WiFi. The 6715/10's also run Windows Mobile 5.
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    MY REVIEW IS ALSO BASED ON EXPERIENCE. i BOUGHT THE THING
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllVerbatim
    Rodolfo:

Is this to wean yourself off Palms entirely, or something to play with until the next-gen Treo's come out? Because no doubt the next gen Treo's will dominate. In usability, feaures, size and carrier availability.

Just saying.
    I've been entirely Treoless since March when I purchased the 7100t, which has proved to be a very stable and reliable device. But I'm not any happier with the BB OS than I was with POS. I've used all the platforms, and I prefer WinMobile and Symbian. I'll consider the 700W, but my guess is it'll suffer from the same stability and miscellaneous hassles of the 600 and 650. Currently, I'm most interested in this 6715 you've pointed us to, the upcoming Nokia 9300i and E61 that run Symbian, and less so, the Motorola Q. If none of these satisfy me, I'll stay with BB for a while longer, perhaps with the new BB 8700 which Cingular is also bringing out. (I should probably lose my signature soon, huh?)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllVerbatim
    Great photos at pocketpcthoughts! I'm pumped now! It's going to be a happy new year for us gadget freaks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast