Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I want one!!

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/1005/p990.htm

This is the sort of smartphone I could jump ship for....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Symbian ? Deal breaker for me.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I love the idea of the standard phone pad on the outside of the clamshell design and a Qwerty keyboard on the inside when you flip it open. (That being said...I'm trying to teach myself typing using the Dvorak keyboard layout, so I suppose I'll eventualy be looking for THAT as an option on my smartphone ;-)
    Symbian is great and this looks very nice: Lucky you! Unfortunately, it seems to be yet another device not headed for the US.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Symbian is great and this looks very nice: Lucky you! Unfortunately, it seems to be yet another device not headed for the US.
    heck - even if it does, will we see a CDMA one?

a good friend of mine owned a P900 and absolutely hated it, in comparison to a Treo 650
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Does Symbian have any GPS solution?
    I hate those flip out keyboards. It makes the phone top heavy.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I had the P900 for a little while. I bought it last summer (2004) while in Ireland because I got a really good deal on it and wanted a world phone to tote around while there. I ended up selling it on Ebay for a profit, which was nice. It was okay, but certainly paled in comparison to my Treo in terms of overall utility. The screen was essentially unreadable in any bright light situations (at least much less readable than the Treo) and the UIQ inteface was just okay (though I'll admit to thinking that the Palm interface is just okay, as well). The 990 looks much better in terms of 1) actually having a keyboard and 2) not doing the really shotty job of adding one that you saw with the 910. Given the new layout, it is unlikely to be significantly more topheavy than the Treo. It likely has an improved screen (as did the 910) and is probably more refined overall. I think it is a real competitor, but I still prefer many of the alternatives (including the Treo and the new Wizard). I'm sure it'll do fine in Europe, though...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    In terms of hardware it seems far superior to the Treo 650. It's a fourth generation handset. It looks like a normal mobile phone with the flip up (which incidentally will prevent face oils from marking the screen )

I like the form factor. It has 3 data entry methods (qwerty keyboard, numerical keypad and touch sensitive screen).

Other good points: Jog dial, hold button, play/ pause button (?), WLAN- 802.11b, 3G, 2MP camera with flash, FM radio. 80MB internal memory. No external antenna, 262 K colour screen.

I must confess that I don't know much about Symbian OS though! I know that it's meant to be able to multi task and that it doesn't sync PIM data very well?! The included software sounds quite extensive.

No doubt it will be about 200 on a contract. The P900 and 910 were very expensive when they first came out and took a long time to drop in price....
    Last edited by Hicks; 10/15/2005 at 02:17 PM.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

the sony screens tend to fade after a while. also, with symbian, dont you distance your self even more from what everybody else is using? the p series look nice but the keyboard bugs me.
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    I hate those flip out keyboards. It makes the phone top heavy.
    I think this time they put the keyboard on the unit instead. Like others have posted, the lack of cdma and POS are deal breakers for me.
    [QUOTE=naivete]I think this time they put the keyboard on the unit ... /QUOTE]
    They sacrified about a third of the screen to do it, like HP did with the 6500.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Bit more information on the handset (the translation/ grammar gets worse as the review progresses!).

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...-p990-en.shtml

And a preview from Infosync
    Last edited by Hicks; 10/15/2005 at 02:42 PM.

This maybe a option since I don't see much going on in the Palm OS world
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I still like the look of this. Although, I've recently bought TomTom Nav 5 and I'm pretty sure that this is not compatible with Symbian

Me too. i keep hearing a lot of people saying the Symbian OS has made some big changes and is similar to Mac 9 to the current change of OS X.

i would like to know how this new phone stacks up to the Palm OS and Treo 650.
    What are thbe pluses and minuses of the Symbian OS?
    thanks
    Looks like an excellent design for a flip pdaphone. But I'll hold out for the next clamshell PDA phone