View Poll Results: going for the K-Jam or not???

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • keep my 650

28 33.73%
  • go for the K-Jam

33 39.76%
  • wait for new 700p

13 15.66%
  • any other windows device

9 10.84%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    The 6700 is basically the same as the K-Jam, just CDMA instead of GSM (but with an external antenna and a 400MHz XScale processesor).
    The 6700 is not the same device as the K-Jam. It has an all-silver keyboard with white backlighting (WTF?), whereas the K-Jams I've seen have a charcoal-colored keyboard with blue backlighting. Also, apparently the 6700's keyboard is easier to use -- something about flatter keys.

The 6700 has a humungous antenna stub, common with CDMA devices. The K-Jam has an internal antenna.

The 6700 has a single, weak speaker in the back, whereas the K-Jam has stereo speakers on the side or front.

The 6700 has a joystick-type screen navigation device, whereas the K-Jam has a D-pad.

The 6700 has a couple of extra "soft buttons" below the screen, whereas the K-Jam does not.

The 6700 has a 420 MHz Intel CPU, whereas the K-Jam has a 200 MHz TI CPU. This is huge. According to what I've read, you can't use Skype on the K-Jam (CPU not fast enough).

And last but not least, the 6700 has EVDO, whereas the K-Jam merely has EDGE.

Speed kills! If I am spending $500 and up for a new PDA phone, it's gotta support 3G data service. I'm buying a 6700.
    I know it's not exactly the same device... my first post in this thread was a suggestion that it be a seperate poll choice. I was just saying that the 6700 and the K-Jam are the same form factor.

I'm a "GSM bigot" from way back, but the combo of EVDO and speed is pulling me strongly toward the CDMA 6700.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I just sent my KJAM back.

It was fun playing with it but it's not a keeper.

I still prefer the Treo.

The slowness of the PPC OS and lack of WM5 compatible apps were the deal breakers for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmsolo
    I tried out a couple of HTC Wizard models for 3 weeks and my final decision is to stick with my Treo 650. I may get a Wizard once US carriers release them, but for now I'll let others have fun with the latest and greatest and stick with my excellent one-handed Treo 650.
    I think I am right there with you Palmsolo. I am having a hard time leaving my Treo for the Kjam. I saw that you voted for the Treo on my poll on HOFO. I have been playing with my Kjam for a few days now and it just doesn't feel as "smooth" as the Treo does. I mean, I can get done what I need to get done(primarily contacts, appointments, email, phone calls, and text messaging) much faster than on the Kjam.

Sure the Treo has an external antennae (which I'm pretty sure we won't see disappear for a while because cdma carriers seem to prefer them and Palm would then have to have 2 different housings thus costing more money), and no wifi, and no megapixel camera w/o flash (although I think the treo cam is better), and no multitasking, and a weak web browser.

But.... the kjam just doesn't touch the Treo when it comes to form factor and design. No hi res screen, limited one handed nav, too many menu's to go through in OS, no one handed typing possible(unless you have ginourmous hands).

Overall, I am still "slightly" teetering on giving up the kjam, but paying as much as I did just for a "toy" that I don't necessarily need to replace right now is hard to sell to the wife, if you know what I mean.

Palm, where is the Cobalt Treo? You lag!!!!!!!!!!!! Just put it out already! and don't forget to include a good browser (something like Thunderhawk for PPC), wifi, and of course my favorite and most desired.....Voice activated dialing from a bluetooth headset!!!!!!!!!!

I have used both the 6700 and K-Jam, I think the K-Jam keyboard is much better. The flat keys of the 6700 look better at first glance, but the space between the keys on the K-Jam make it easier to "feel" around the keyboard. This lets you type faster. Its like having that space on your computer keyboard between the keys. Imagine if your computer keyboard had flat keys with no space. :/
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    What bothers me about the KJAM is the ability, or lack there of, of one hand operation. The KJAM can do it somewhat but many things require finger tapping which isn't easy with smaller buttons.
    any thoughts about the hp 67xx series? also, for the people who have tried the k jam, were the keys bigger than the 650's?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    What bothers me about the KJAM is the ability, or lack there of, of one hand operation. The KJAM can do it somewhat but many things require finger tapping which isn't easy with smaller buttons.
    I am not sure what you can't do one handed? I havn't touched the screen of my K-Jam in days, and I am a power user.

Naveen, both the 6700 and K-Jam have bigger keys than the 650 by a long shot.
    I have had my KJam for a little over a week now and I love it. Here are some of the things that the T650 couldn't do but I do now with my KJam:

I have simulated push email out of the box;

great synchronization with Outlook;

using TomTom on a bigger screen is like night and day;

One handed operation takes some getting used to, but I have found it rather easy;

And multitasking is awesome.

The only thing that bothers me about the KJam is the mms software. It is exactly the same as WM SE and is not conducive for one handed operation.

All this being said, my 650 is now up on Ebay
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I just sent my KJAM back.

It was fun playing with it but it's not a keeper.

I still prefer the Treo.

The slowness of the PPC OS and lack of WM5 compatible apps were the deal breakers for me.
    Im with you 110% on that green.. I had my 6700 for 2 weeks and went back to my Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I will say this.. After having and playing with both 6700 and Kjam its all about what your into. If your into doing things simple like check your mail, user friendly SMS and easy one handed operations then stick with Treo 650. I found out the hard way after playing around with Outlook that even syncing is a hurdle. There isnt hardly any compatible WM5 apps. My biggest issue was not having a good IM and SMS client. Everytime you recieve and send an SMS it creates new entry and after awhile it blows up your inbox. IM client well you can do a search and see none of them compare to how Verichat and Chatter run on a T650. Thats my opinion
    i still think 6700 > 650 off the strength of not having a daily reset issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    i still think 6700 > 650 off the strength of not having a daily reset issue.
    I think the jury is still out on the reliability of the 6700, its too soon to say.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I am not sure what you can't do one handed? I havn't touched the screen of my K-Jam in days, and I am a power user.

Naveen, both the 6700 and K-Jam have bigger keys than the 650 by a long shot.
    i have had my 650 for about eight months now and the keys are getting too small for me. i really like the design of the k jam, it seems to be the same size as the 650. the 6700 scares me becasue of the many issues that hp has with the i paq line. i wish the k jam had gps though
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    the 6700 scares me becasue of the many issues that hp has with the i paq line.
    why would this scare you? the 6700 is made by HTC, not HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68
    I think the jury is still out on the reliability of the 6700, its too soon to say.
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and my 6700 is very stable. The 650 resetting itself at least once a day whenever a call came in or when I tried to place a call definitely was annoying. I went back to the 650 after trying out the I730 because of the lack of one-handed ability and even though the 6700 isn't as good as the 650 in that regard either, its close enough that I can live with it and the 6700 more than makes up for it with its EV-DO and wifi capabilities. I'm definitely more productive with this device than with the 650 and that for me is the bottom line in deciding to keep it.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Pretty neat how the final results ended up being exactly 50% staying with a Treo and 50% moving to something else.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I tried out the 6700 for two weeks and returned it. I liked the bigger thumbboard over the 650's (though I think I'd prefer the key design of the K-Jam over the 6700), having built-in Wi-Fi was neat (though not terribly useful for my needs), and the Bluetooth connected faster and more reliably to my BT headset. Other than that, though, it was a pretty miserable experience.

I've written about my issues with the 6700 here and on pdaphonehome.com, so do a search if you want all the details, but I'll just say that the 650 felt far snappier, looking up a contact one-handed by just typing the first initial and first couple of letters of the last name is a must-have for me and I couldn't live without it. Voice command is neat, but it costed extra and I could have added that to my Treo 650 too, but most of the time I don't want to talk to my phone...I'd rather just press the phone button and type a few letters to jump to the person I want to call.

Then there was watching the screen redraw every time you opened/closed the slider and it switched from landscape to portrait mode (or vice versa). Maybe I'm just spoiled by the instantaneous switch on 480x320 Palm OS devices. App compatibility was also poor. The built-in browser wasn't cutting it for me and no other add-on browser seemed to work well with WM5. I also wasn't happy about the prospect of my existing SD cards (one of which is 2GB) becoming useless and having to shell out money for a new miniSD card (and only being able to get one as big as 1GB).

Some of these issues could be (and hopefully will be soon) corrected via firmware patches and app upgrades. Once that happens I might even give the 6700 another look. But I want something that works well for my needs day in and day out and the 6700/WM5 compares poorly to the 650 on that front.

FWIW, I don't have daily resets on my 650. I've had more than I think users should reasonably put up with, but they're infrequent enough and the reset time has been short enough that it hasn't been a significant concern for me.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Pretty neat how the final results ended up being exactly 50% staying with a Treo and 50% moving to something else.
    i find the results kind of sad. i have been loyal to palm for almost ten years now and i am amazed that their has been no real progress to the os. but the hardware on the otherhand has made such tremendeous leaps and bounds. i picked up my old palm pilot and found that it also has the basic stuff like my 650, but is lacking one major thing that my 650 is lacking also---multi tasking. if and when a new 700p comes out i hope the palm os has multi tasking built into it or i will have to end my loyalty for poor performance on the behalf of the palm os, not the palm hardware. the palm 650 unit itself is truely amazing!
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    i find the results kind of sad. i have been loyal to palm for almost ten years now and i am amazed that their has been no real progress to the os. but the hardware on the otherhand has made such tremendeous leaps and bounds. i picked up my old palm pilot and found that it also has the basic stuff like my 650, but is lacking one major thing that my 650 is lacking also---multi tasking. if and when a new 700p comes out i hope the palm os has multi tasking built into it or i will have to end my loyalty for poor performance on the behalf of the palm os, not the palm hardware. the palm 650 unit itself is truely amazing!
    So does that mean you're a candidate for the 700w? I too am disappointed in the lack of Palm OS progress. I've been using an Audiovox SMT5600 smartphone for three weeks now, and despite no keyboard or touch screen, I'm astounded by the phone voice quality (both ends of the conversation) and integration with basic PIM functions (calendar, contacts, and tasks). Like everyone else, I hate T9 input, but I input most everything through Outlook to begin with,

AND DID I MENTION IT IS SMALL! (1/2 the width and 2/3 thickness of 650)

AND DID I MENTION THERE HAS BEEN NO RESETS SINCE FIRST USE!

I'm generally a M$oft sceptic, if not outright "hater" but the combination of WinXP Pro on my IBM X40, and Win Mobile 2003 SE on the Audiovox (made by HTC by the way) has been a real treat these past three weeks.

DID I MENTION NOT ONE "WHAT DID YOU SAY" DURING CONVERSATIONS.

Besides the keyboard, the only thing I miss (and may move up to the new Cingular 2125 replacement for the SMT 5600; or could go with the SP5 version from i-mate that includes WiFi) is EDGE data speeds, but in all seriousness, PIE on the SMT5600 "feels" faster than Blazer on 650 despite being limited to GPRS speeds.

DID I MENTION WITH OUR MS EXCHANGE SERVER, WIRELESS ACTIVESYNC HAS BEEN FLAWLESS (still, responses form the T9 keypad suck).

HTC just keeps cranking out the hits (kind of like the rah rah days of Sony). They have "shown" a mid-2006 release of an SMT5600 size device with a touch screen - that could be the uber small smartphone device.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    So does that mean you're a candidate for the 700w? I too am disappointed in the lack of Palm OS progress. I've been using an Audiovox SMT5600 smartphone for three weeks now, and despite no keyboard or touch screen, I'm astounded by the phone voice quality (both ends of the conversation) and integration with basic PIM functions (calendar, contacts, and tasks). Like everyone else, I hate T9 input, but I input most everything through Outlook to begin with,

AND DID I MENTION IT IS SMALL! (1/2 the width and 2/3 thickness of 650)

AND DID I MENTION THERE HAS BEEN NO RESETS SINCE FIRST USE!

I'm generally a M$oft sceptic, if not outright "hater" but the combination of WinXP Pro on my IBM X40, and Win Mobile 2003 SE on the Audiovox (made by HTC by the way) has been a real treat these past three weeks.

DID I MENTION NOT ONE "WHAT DID YOU SAY" DURING CONVERSATIONS.

Besides the keyboard, the only thing I miss (and may move up to the new Cingular 2125 replacement for the SMT 5600; or could go with the SP5 version from i-mate that includes WiFi) is EDGE data speeds, but in all seriousness, PIE on the SMT5600 "feels" faster than Blazer on 650 despite being limited to GPRS speeds.

DID I MENTION WITH OUR MS EXCHANGE SERVER, WIRELESS ACTIVESYNC HAS BEEN FLAWLESS (still, responses form the T9 keypad suck).

HTC just keeps cranking out the hits (kind of like the rah rah days of Sony). They have "shown" a mid-2006 release of an SMT5600 size device with a touch screen - that could be the uber small smartphone device.
    the features, programs, and the continous new models is amazing. most of these things are not palm os's fault, but since they have been asleep for a long time many have chosen to support other software platforms. am i going for the 700w---i dont think so. i think i am going to go for the k jam next.
    Naveen

Next Phone:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast