This is exactly why I think Palm messed up. Now that they're on the WM platform it opens up all options. Before I was a dedicated PalmOS/Treo customer. Now I'm just a WM customer...Palm better have the best product or I walk. It looks like my wife may just end up with a K-Jam.

Too bad Palm...you opened the door!
    dang, i am leaner toward the k-jam more and more....
    If only it had chatter...Please Marc!
    Please!!!.
    Thanks for the link. That is a pretty good review. Are there any plans for it to come to the cdma side? I take it is only for GSM here in the U.S.?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    the cdma version is the Sprint PPC 6700, check the other threads in Other Handhelds.. it's cosmetically different and has EVDO but antenna
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Thanks for the link. That is a pretty good review. Are there any plans for it to come to the cdma side? I take it is only for GSM here in the U.S.?
    My understanding is the Sprint PPC6700 is the HTC Apache, which in turn is essentially the CDMA version of the HTC Wizard (which in turn is sold by iMate as the K-Jam. *whew*
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I'm confused about one paragraph in the article:

"I was originally concerned with getting the Wizard, because there is currently no way to sync a Mac with Windows Mobile 5. ActiveSync doesn't exist on OSX, and MarkSpace's Missing Sync that Apple reccomends for Windows Mobile devices doesn't do Windows Mobile 5, and they don't really have an ETA for when it will. I can sync all of my data over the air using Exchange, and I can install programs by sending the .cab file over Bluetooth to the Wizard. I'm very happy how this works, and am OVERJOYED I don't need to use a buggy syncing program. The only thing I miss is that with Missing Sync on my Treo I had the ability to plug my Treo in, and access the memory card like it were a USB drive. That was awesome... But, if the Wizard supports Bluetooth 2.0 in the future, the speed to send files back and forth wirelessly won't be an issue."

Can someone clarify exactly how this would resolve the issue of sync with Mac OS X? If I don't have a PC, and can't use Outlook, how am I going to sync all of my contacts/calendar/etc.?
    "This is exactly why I think Palm messed up. Now that they're on the WM platform it opens up..."

My thought as well.
    --------
    Doesn't the 6700 support the SD card? If so and this one is essentially the same, the K-Jam should too...

When the Wizard comes to Verizon (I know they have good coverage in my area), I will consider switching.

To have "pocket email", I deal with Cingular and for lack of coverage, sim card switching between T-mo/Cingular. I flirted with the idea of Vzw Treo, but the cost of contract termination and lost of international is not worth it to me.

I can see with this one, I can deal with GSM/Treo when traveling, and CDMA/WM5 while domestic. I hope by the time they come to Vzw, it is a 480x300-ish device - that is the trigger for me in the back of my mind.
    Doesn't the 6700 support the SD card? If so and this one is essentially the same, the K-Jam should too...
    The 6700 and the K-Jam/Wizard both use mini-sd.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    My understanding is the Sprint PPC6700 is the HTC Apache, which in turn is essentially the CDMA version of the HTC Wizard (which in turn is sold by iMate as the K-Jam. *whew*
    The form factor of the HTC Apache is identical to the Wizard, except for the Apache's external antenna. However, the Apache supports EVDO data service (DSL speed), and has an Intel 416 MHz CPU, whereas the HTC Wizard only has EDGE (2x dial-up speed), and has a TI 200 MHz CPU. There are other minor differences.
    I just don't see the attraction with the KJAM. It's too bulky. Form factor wise, the palm could be thinner but it's manageable.

I miss graffitti, the on-board memory is lacking, wi-fi would be nice, incorporated voice dialing is needed, a iris closure for the camera and some other modifications would be an improvement.

WM format may be an improvement but the headaches WM5 is creating will make everyone pause until they begin jumping up and down. Palm OS is a lot more stable than WM5.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    I just don't see the attraction with the KJAM. It's too bulky. Form factor wise, the palm could be thinner but it's manageable.

I miss graffitti, the on-board memory is lacking, wi-fi would be nice, incorporated voice dialing is needed, a iris closure for the camera and some other modifications would be an improvement.
    You just listed four of the many attractions of the K-Jam has for me. Also, the K-Jam is slightly smaller than the 650 in each dimension but thickness (and then only fractionally). I think it's a bit lighter than the Treo as well.
    Palm OS is a lot more stable than WM5.
    Perhaps. That has not been my experience when comparing WM 2003 to my Treo 650, though. I don't think anyone has had enough experience with WM5 yet to say for sure.
    My girlfriend and I have both been on Treo 600s for over a year. Within the last month I got a Treo 650 and she got a KJAM. I handle setup, maintenance, configuration, finding good software for us, so I'm in a position to compare.

I've got to say, we have both been horrified at the complexity of the kjam. She calls it the "beast". Everyone said windows mobile wasn't as intuitive as PalmOS. They were right! I was expecting to envy on her account of the kjam's wifi, the superior stability, the prospect of bluetooth 2.0, and the supposedly brighter future of Windows Mobile apps. Instead, I find myself really appreciating the 650. She paid 150 quid, I paid 10, and she was asking me two days ago if I wanted to swap. I said no!

In so many ways windows mobile just doesn't make sense. A little X button in the top right that doesn't close the application, but leaves it hiding in the background -- huh? You set an alarm to wake you up in the morning, you leave the volume in "on" position, but then you oversleep and are late for work because, in addition to having an off, vibrate, and on mode, the volume _slider_ might still be set down at zero even while the volume is "on" -- huh? The nuisance of having to scroll through dialing lists to dial one-handed, of not having sms messages threaded, of thumbnail photos being reduced to pinkienail photos in the phone contacts, of having to open the start menu to get to basic apps, of using the "briliant" Microsoft Voice Command and then panicking trying to stop it from dialing your misrecognized friend in Japan -- I mean, wtf? And it may just be me, but there is nothing to describe the visceral, sickening dread of seeing a popup menu *on your phone* asking you if you want to "end task". It's windows. It's a multitasking OS -- on your phone! What a disaster!

The whole experience has been eye-opening. Maybe we'll leearn to like it as we get over the learning curve. Maybe. But I think this learning curve is unnecessary. It's a bump in the road that's just road construction that was never finished.

I should also admit -- part of the reason that I'm not pining for the kjam's wifi is probably that I set up a reverse DUN on a bluetooth usb dongle on my home linux server (there's not enough wifi where I live to use it elsewhere anyways). This was a big hassle, but at least it's a onetime hassle. I'd hate to struggle with configurations like that every time I need to make a call!
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by algal
    In so many ways windows mobile just doesn't make sense. A little X button in the top right that doesn't close the application, but leaves it hiding in the background -- huh?
    Palm works the same. Your apps don't close when you go to another application. The OS closes apps as it needs memory. I see a lot of people complain about this, but to me it just makes sense.

You set an alarm to wake you up in the morning, you leave the volume in "on" position, but then you oversleep and are late for work because, in addition to having an off, vibrate, and on mode, the volume _slider_ might still be set down at zero even while the volume is "on" -- huh?
    So you set your ringer volume to zero and wonder why you can't hear anything? Treo does this too. Isn't this a matter of not setting your volume to zero in the first place?

The nuisance of having to scroll through dialing lists to dial one-handed
    I really do wish that windows mobile had the two panel quick dial list like the Treo. It does have a single panel one. You can't have as many on one screen but it can have 7. They both have quick-dial/speed-dial.

not having sms messages threaded
    Yeah, this was one of nicest things I found in the Treo 600 when it came out. I have yet to see another phone have this feature. This really needs to be the standard.

thumbnail photos being reduced to pinkienail photos in the phone contacts
    They seem a nice size to me. Not sure what your issue is with this one.

of having to open the start menu to get to basic apps
    There are a lot of buttons on the Kjam, you can re-assign them to whatever you like instead.

of using the "briliant" Microsoft Voice Command and then panicking trying to stop it from dialing your misrecognized friend in Japan -- I mean, wtf?
    this comment just makes you sound like a complainer. This is widely known as one of the most acurate voice commanders made. Its acuracy is just amazing. Also, you have the option of having it "verify" who its going to call before it makes the call. This is enabled by default, you must of disabled it.

And it may just be me, but there is nothing to describe the visceral, sickening dread of seeing a popup menu *on your phone* asking you if you want to "end task". It's windows. It's a multitasking OS -- on your phone! What a disaster!
    Really? I would like to see a screenshot, because in over 1 year using windows mobile devices (including the KJam) I have never seen it once ask me to "end task" like windows does. This flame of yours is starting to seem fabricated.

The whole experience has been eye-opening. Maybe we'll leearn to like it as we get over the learning curve. Maybe. But I think this learning curve is unnecessary. It's a bump in the road that's just road construction that was never finished.
    Here is most of the reasons people have a hard time with this device. The Treo and Windows Mobile are different. When poeople try to use windows mobile like a treo, they are bound to be doomed. Windows mobile will perform the same functions, and it can do all the same tasks in about the same ammount of time with the same "one-handed" ness. You just have to learn how todo it the windows mobile way, instead of trying to do it the Treo way.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i think in over a year of using wm devies as well, i had it ask if i wanted to end the program *once*, but bear in mind i was using a program for wm 2002, on my current 2003se device
    I will look into setting up the 7-person quickdial, and turning on the name verify setting for the voice commander. I didn't make up that story, though -- not even the part about the friend being in Japan! The same goes for the End Task thing -- it hit me when I was running Skype for Pocket PC, which, in fairness, is supposed to require a 400 Mhz clock speed, so maybe I was pushing my luck.

Which reminds me -- I honestly wouldn't care about the difference between applications beings "closed" versus "minimized", except for the fact that many threads mentioned that Skype only worked if you went and manually closed all other applications. So unless those people are wrong, the distinction does affect performance. It's not just a different name for the routine memory reallocation that PalmOS, or any OS, does. And as near as I can tell, the only way to close apps is to go Start / Settings / System / Memory / Running Programs / Stop All. If there is a shortcut to do this with less than 6 screentaps, please let me know.

I guess I'm forgetting I have the benefit of 5+ years with Palm, so I've found all the programs that make everything work. For instance, I use Bob's Alarm for the alarm. Its volume is not affected by the ringer setting, and I honestly have no idea if the Treo Datebook app adjusts its _alarm_ volume to the setting of your _ringer_ volume. It would disappoint me, tho. It seems like the kind of telling detail that Palm gets right.

Am I complainer? Well I am complaining. So you got me there!

[edited to add:]
    p.s. I'd also love to know if there's a third party app that does threading for sms messages and merges them with mms's.
    Last edited by algal; 10/26/2005 at 01:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I wouldn't worry to long about the SMS threading... I will bet money that you will see that functionality taken from the 700w and loaded on to every wm5 device. Or should I say "hacked"....
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    I've been a Palm loyalist since the USR PalmPilot Pro (Treo 650 right now), and after reviewing far too many websites and reviews, it looks to me like the HTC Wizard is the best thing coming down the pike for converged device fanatics.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.