Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    I'm considering either a 6700 or K-JAM to replace my Treo 600. I am a current T-Mobile user, but I don't have any problem about changing providers.

    It looks like they are both similar devices except for:

    6700 :
    - Intel XScale @ 416MHz
    - EVDO
    - External Antenna

    K-JAM
    - TI OMAP @ 195MHz
    - Edge
    - Internal Antenna

    In my situation which would you go with?
  2. #2  
    Based on what you wrote, I would go with the 6700. Seems to offer more at this point.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  3. #3  
    I like the K-Jam better. Both are good. Don't look at the 200mhz OMAP (dual core) proccessor and think its slow, tests are showing that its just as fast at the Intel 400mhz.
  4. #4  
    The EVDO in the 6700 will cause you to change the way you use your phone. Once you become used to streaming audio and video or routinely pulling down the full content of your email (with multi-megabyte attachments) or making cheap world-wide phonecalls using Skype over EVDO, you'll never want to go back. Of course, this all presumes you'll be in an EVDO area.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I like the K-Jam better. Both are good. Don't look at the 200mhz OMAP (dual core) proccessor and think its slow, tests are showing that its just as fast at the Intel 400mhz.
    What tests are those and where can I read them?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterXtreme
    What tests are those and where can I read them?
    Try here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ight=processor

    There's more I've seen on HoFo, but it's so hard to find anything over there...
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  7. #7  
    Go for the faster processor. Streaming data is very processor intensive, as it displaying video, and if you intend to do both at the same time you need all the cycles you can get. Some people are reporting stuttering video when using files from a SD card, which is a symptom of an underpowered processor.

    Surur
  8. #8  
    The structure of the processor is as important as it's clock speed. The Xscale may be faster, but it pushes less instructions per cycle. The OMAP on the other hand, not only separates threads and divides work (which is more efficient) but I believe it also calculates more instructions per cycle. Basically it's efficiency vs. speed, the end result is that they are both almost the same. And viewing files from an SD card may not necessarily be because of the processor, I don't know how fast data can be transferred from an SD card, but couldn't that have something to do with it also?


  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Try here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ight=processor

    There's more I've seen on HoFo, but it's so hard to find anything over there...

    I've read that thread, but I'm not finding any tests... rather a few opinions. It'd be nice to see some benches comparing the two.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterXtreme
    I've read that thread, but I'm not finding any tests... rather a few opinions. It'd be nice to see some benches comparing the two.
    I did see some posted over there... alas, I can no longer find them. The 200MHz OMAP was about the same as the XScale. Better in some areas even. The OMAP is also supposed to provide better battery life as well.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  11. hjmatt30's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #11  
    Hey jw68, I am like you I have a 600 and I am considering the move into the 6700. If you decide to get the 6700 let me know how it works for you. I have been looking at it. I have been unable to get it into my hands. I have read a few mesages boards about the 6700 and they all say good things and thats what bugs me. Is it really that perfect???? However based on the features it seems to offer everthing I need and more.
  12. #12  
    The 200mhz OMAP is not a problem. I got my Wizard today and this thing is VERY fast.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    The 200mhz OMAP is not a problem. I got my Wizard today and this thing is VERY fast.
    Is it enough to wean you off of the T650? I still have my T600 and am now considering the Wizard. Hopefully, someone will develop softwares like Profiles and Callfilter for it that would work as well or better
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    Is it enough to wean you off of the T650? I still have my T600 and am now considering the Wizard. Hopefully, someone will develop softwares like Profiles and Callfilter for it that would work as well or better
    Again this is only personal opinion...

    But I don't think any treo can hold a candle to the K-Jam.
  15. #15  
    Funny, your the only one supporting the K-Jam ?
    All people who have used both the 650 and the K-Jam, go back to the Treo, enough said.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Funny, your the only one supporting the K-Jam ?
    All people who have used both the 650 and the K-Jam, go back to the Treo, enough said.
    Not sure why you have to have so much attitude. Remember these are only phones. Didn't I say that it was my opinion? Anyway.

    Not everyone who goes from the 650 to the KJam goes back. There are plenty of people who love the KJam. I suggest you head over to Howardforums.
  17. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #17  
    personally i like the antenna less look of the kjam as opposed to the 650/6700, but i know the reason the 6700 needs it is because of interference between CDMA and WIFI radio/antenna. i didn't realize this thread required the trolls of the 650s to come out and insult... it is afterall in another thread under another topic... sheesh
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Not sure why you have to have so much attitude. Remember these are only phones. Didn't I say that it was my opinion? Anyway.

    Not everyone who goes from the 650 to the KJam goes back. There are plenty of people who love the KJam. I suggest you head over to Howardforums.
    No attitude, fact. Howardforums funny.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    personally i like the antenna less look of the kjam as opposed to the 650/6700, but i know the reason the 6700 needs it is because of interference between CDMA and WIFI radio/antenna. i didn't realize this thread required the trolls of the 650s to come out and insult... it is afterall in another thread under another topic... sheesh
    Can you clarify that point about the CDMA vs. WIFI antenna? CDMA is at 1.9Ghz and WiFi is at 2.4Ghz. How would the radios/antennas have anything to do with one another?

    GSM radios operate at similar frequencies (850, 900, 1800 and 1900Mhz respectively depending on location), yet don't need the antenna...?
  20. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #20  
    i've read this in white papers before and if i find the articles again, i'll post a link. as of right now, i have none. but if you look around, you'll see most cdma devices WITH wifi have antennas....the gsm counterparts, do not. it is NOT due to better shielding or internal wifi antennas, as both the KJam and PPC-6700 are made by HTC. i'll look for the articles, but it has been argued for a long time that was the reason behind leaving WIFI out of the 650 due to the cdma conflict
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions