1.    #1  
    Over the years when people compare devices to the Treo, there is one main feature you always hear about: the One handed ability of it.

I was thinking this over lately, and I think people have gotton over obsessive about this. So much infact, that things are getting missed altogether.

For example, the new 6700, Wizard, & Universal released recently. Everyone seems to be focusing on how its One handed ability is compared to the Treo. I understand this, but whynot ask the reverse question?

How is its Two handed ability compared to the Treo?

Personally, I think one handed ability is very important... but only for simple tasks like checking email, reading my calandar, making a phone call, etc. When I am Writing an email (or anything that requires lots of typing) I want the device I am using to be the best at two handed ability.

Thats why I am so excited about these new devices. While the Treo is great for one handed operations IMO, I think its a lot to be desired with two hands. If my 2nd hand is free, I want to make full use of it. Two hands is better than one I say!

Thoughts?
    i just jumped from a t600 to a 6700 and i sort of miss the one hand useage bu the 6700 is far better if you are using two hands. The only thing i miss on th etreo is the numbers on the keyboard. You didnt have to slide anything open to call someone.
    I think it comes back to what you are used to. If you are used to the treo, then it takes some getting used to for the use of two hands (Wait? I didnt know I had two hands ;-)

For me, all the extra features seem to be pushing me one way versus the other.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

the wizard although people say is two handed...you can easily teach yourself how to do everything one handed...it will just take a while to learn how...as the keyboard layout is different...but it can be done and i have done it...just gotta teach yourself over again...
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Personally, I think one handed ability is very important... but only for simple tasks like checking email, reading my calandar, making a phone call, etc.
    Add text messaging to that list and you have 90% of what I do with my treo, so the one handedness of it is a key feature. Youre correct in that anything that requires a lot of text input is better with 2 hands, but I think using the Treo two handed is great too. Why not have the best of both worlds?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by nwo504
    ...... The only thing i miss on th etreo is the numbers on the keyboard. You didnt have to slide anything open to call someone.
    I've been wondering about this. I imagined that you could hit a "phone button" then numbers would pop up on the screen which you could finger tap to dial (similar to the treo touch sensitive numbers).

This is not so? One must open the slider to dial?

What about using voice dial software?
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Its definitely like that. Most people don't like touching the screen with their fingers however, and there's no tactile feedback, so its cant be done without looking at the screen.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    I've been wondering about this. I imagined that you could hit a "phone button" then numbers would pop up on the screen which you could finger tap to dial (similar to the treo touch sensitive numbers).

This is not so? One must open the slider to dial?

What about using voice dial software?
    No, if you want to use hard buttons to enter in a phone number, then you need to open the keyboard. Otherwise, you can simply use the onscreen virtual dialpad to dial or purchase a program like MS Voice Command and install it on the 6700 (6700 doesn't come with any voice-dialing software on it).
    Ok - so ther is at least a virtual dialpad on the screen available (although I don't like using it this way either).

At least you're not forced into sliding the unit open to make a phone call.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    i'm down right speedy while using 2 thumbs on my treo.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    It depends on what I am doing.

On phone, I like one-handed "heads-up" operation, but the Treo is barely making it. Using the hard keys (for example, my speed dial S), I can feel by my thumb when I am reaching the S and press and hold. But deal to closeness in keys, it is very difficult and error prone. This heads-up one-handed dialing is a slam dunk for my VX1 or my StarTec.

When I am doing my email, I prefer two handed and prefer not to have to deal with the stylus. (mini scroll pad perhaps).

I think the idea is the Nokia's clamshell design. The clamshell design with screen/full key board inside, and then on the outside (where the screen is now) a smaller phone-status only LCD with full size phone buttons.

With that design, and 480x320-ish screen, that would be good.