Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just read an interesting article that mentioned a possible (or if you believe what the article says, imminent) Apple smartphone:

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1297

I'd buy one in a heartbeat... anything to avoid the Treo 700windoze.
    This is the best part imo:

At a leadership seminar last Friday, [Motorola CEO] Zander discredited the iPod nano, saying: "Screw the Nano. What the hell does the nano do? Who listens to 1,000 songs?"
    BAWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I thought that was funny too; apparently Zander's not at all happy at the way the Rokr was almost universally panned by the media, while the Nano has gotten high praise... makes you wonder why he ever entered into the partnership in the first place...
    Salvation for Mac Users! -

http://beta.news.com.com/Motorola+CE...-5885651.html?

according to the Motorola CEO, Apple is building a smartphone

however, if the Moto ROKR is the best they can come up with right now, then I shudder to think of how long it'll take for an Apple Smartphone to arrive....
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I'm not sure this will ever happen, but it would be sweet. If it does I think Apple will play it safe and go GSM only. This would probably make me cough up the $175 to cancel and switch, something the ROKR couldn't come close to doing. I mean I wouldn't switch to be able to put 100 songs on my phone. I can put more than that on my Treo, and have a lot more. An Apple branded phone would sync with the full Mac suite of iapps. Just think if it would do OTA syncing with your .mac account AddressBook, iCal and Mail. Interesting thought.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    <merged and moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I would love for Apple to create a smartphone. They shouldn't limit to GSM, they need to jump on CDMA...Sprint and Verizon hold a large part of the market, don't ignore that.

Apple really needs to jump in this mix with a smartphone.
    What a wonderful day it would be if Jobs released both an Apple iPhone to sync iApps AND a G5 Powerbook. That would surely be a day to bust out the credit card and bid the Treo 650 farewell.

Any speculation on how much an iPhone would cost? I'll start with $399 for the smaller HD version and $499 for the larger one, which may or may not play video
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    I just read an interesting article that mentioned a possible (or if you believe what the article says, imminent) Apple smartphone:

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1297

I'd buy one in a heartbeat... anything to avoid the Treo 700windoze.
    You and me both, brotha. I am sticking with my 650 and have my credit card ready.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    This is the best part imo:

BAWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Did Mr. Zander just tasted sour apples?
    Here's an earlier article on the same site which seems to indicate that Apple doesn't believe in convergence:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1291
    actually - while Steve Jobs has openly spoken against the convergence of computers with televisions, video with MP3 players, etc ---

he always said that the future of mobile technology lies within cell phones, and their abilities to sync with computers

as a matter of fact, the Moto ROKR is proof of Apple's committment to integrate media with cellular technology

one thing that's bothered me about Apple is that they've always constricted themselves to GSM (Cingular, T-Mobile)

considering that Sprint and Verizon have much better EVDO networks and are getting the inside tracks on WiMax, pretty much means that partnerships with Cingular are formulas for failure

with that in mind --- there are rumors out there, and it is my hope, that Apple rent cell space off of the Sprint or Verizon CDMA network and create their own cell service off of it (similar to how Virgin and Earthlink have made theirs)

from there, Apple wouldn't run into all of the problems that companies are having with offering the ROKR

Sadly, an Apple mobile service probably won't attract non-Apple users.... but cell phones and computers are becoming so convergent, that Apple would probably grab the majority of all Apple users

and when you think about that, that could be a very large group of people
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    he also say just one year ago "no video iPod" but Apple has just announced a special event "One More Thing" for 10/12/06 and it all points to a video iPod.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1304
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Partnering with cingular make sense. Steve Jobs is a control freak, there is no way he will work with control nazi like Verizon. Making a virtual network make sense if Apple has more than one iPhone.

Also I don't think Apple believe in that (making everything themselves) anymore. They could build their own IM protocal but they ended up using AOL's protocal (iChat). Also the argument with aim and cingular is that they have the largest user base.
    Last edited by whatever7; 10/05/2005 at 01:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    however, if the Moto ROKR is the best they can come up with right now, then I shudder to think of how long it'll take for an Apple Smartphone to arrive....
    Apple had nothing to do with the design of the Moto ROKR. Blame that mess on Moto.

Quote Originally Posted by camels1993
    I would love for Apple to create a smartphone. They shouldn't limit to GSM, they need to jump on CDMA...Sprint and Verizon hold a large part of the market, don't ignore that.

Apple really needs to jump in this mix with a smartphone.
    Apple isnt just looking at the US though, thinking worldwide GSM is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    What a wonderful day it would be if Jobs released both an Apple iPhone to sync iApps AND a G5 Powerbook. That would surely be a day to bust out the credit card and bid the Treo 650 farewell.
    While I would love to see what Apple could do with a Smartphone and I would love native syncing with my Macs. It would take a hell of a device to get me to give up my Treo. If Apple can make a device that can do everything my treo does in an elegant package then i'll jump all over it, but im not putting in a pre-order.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I think apple is too late.
    Cellphones really haven't had a big impact on the iPod business yet. They've got time.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Cellphones really haven't had a big impact on the iPod business yet. They've got time.
    Yeah, I say they have about 12 months before they start to feel the real pain.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I think an Apple smartphone is unlikely. What OS would they use for a start? Also, it would be in competition with the Moto phone.

Apple have long said they wouldn't make another PDA after the Newton.
    They would build it base on moto's E680 linux phone of course, since it was rumored few a while ago.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast