Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    where did you get the manual from...im assuming you have a hard copy, because if i am not mistaken the one on the FCC database is in confidentialy protection
    I'm supposing that some of you already has the wizard? So, how is it?
    How do you think the k-jam comares to the HP Ipaq 6515? For one thing the k-jam has a large screen w/ pop out keyboard, the Ipaq is more of a Treo form factor. At that the k-jam has a full screen and the ipaq has a square screen.
    Besides these differences, which would you get?
    It's between the k-jam, ipaq 6515, and Treo 700w?
    Which is the better buy?
    After being a faithfull visor/palm customer( visor deluxe, visor color, treo 180, treo 270, treo 600, and treo 650) I decided to jump the ship and purchased an imate kjam. My decision was based on last weeks announcement in regards to the upcoming treo running windows mobile. I figured that windows mobile is good enough for the next treo, I might as well get a nonpalm device that runs windows mobile and has more features than my treo 650.
    Once I see a few more pictures compared to the Treo I will probably switch over. Right now WM5 seems like the only viable alternative to a Cingular user. Sigh, if only they released the LG VX9800 for Cingular...

EDGE max data rate is about 144kbps both for forward and reverse link. EVDO max data rate is 2.4Mb burst on the reverse link and 144 (same as 1xRTT) on the forward link.

So the dialup vs. cable is a fair comparison. 2x faster is a gross understatement. You'll see average sustained transfer rates of 400-700kbps with EVDO vs. about 70-120 with EDGE. That is why I will not be purchasing any GSM device for use in the States anytime in the near future (i.e. next year or two). Until UMTS (or better) is as widely available as EVDO, there is simply no comparison in terms of raw data speeds: CDMA kicks arse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    EDGE max data rate is about 144kbps both for forward and reverse link. EVDO max data rate is 2.4Mb burst on the reverse link and 144 (same as 1xRTT) on the forward link.

So the dialup vs. cable is a fair comparison. 2x faster is a gross understatement. You'll see average sustained transfer rates of 400-700kbps with EVDO vs. about 70-120 with EDGE. That is why I will not be purchasing any GSM device for use in the States anytime in the near future (i.e. next year or two). Until UMTS (or better) is as widely available as EVDO, there is simply no comparison in terms of raw data speeds: CDMA kicks arse.
    In my experience I have not seen better than 400kbps on EVDO, even though its possible to go higher.
    I get speeds over 175kbps all the time with EDGE. Usually 179-180.

I heard the Jam is the same size as the K-JAM, is this true?

I've seen up to 183kbps on EDGE. Theoretical max of just over 200 which you can never reach and I average about 100kbps (80-120kbps range usually.) Either way 1xRTT and EDGE are pretty much about the same speed wise. I think 1xRTT might be a tad faster (10-20%)

Cingular is launching HSDPA in 20 markets before the end of the year (under 3 months away) and as you may all already know HSDPA is in the 2Mbps burst range (similar to EV-DO) and pretty much comparable to EV-DO in speed overall.
    That makes little difference until there's an HSDPA capable phone/pda, but my expectation is that the Treo 700w for Cingular will be HSDPA capable, especially since they're saying that other carrier's won't be out 'til later in 2006. There would be no point to making an EDGE version if it's coming out in mid '06 (there won't be a market for it.)
    So the here and now today, EV-DO is the best (well only) bet for 3G data speeds. In the next 12 months to come we should have offerings on HSDPA for Cingular. Just keep all of this in mind before you sign any 2 year contracts.
    Last edited by taylorh; 10/04/2005 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    CDMA kicks arse.
    Only in the USA. If you travel internationally, GSM is the only way to go.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12